• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can see restaurants being hit hard since the margins are usually pretty low, but I don't have any sympathy for the big corporations that did buybacks and now are cash poor.

I wss baffled when i read about a guy some pages before talking about how his hotel company fired him after working 10 years there, only one week after quarantine.

How does that even happen? Did that company had 100 bucks in savings? What the hell.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wss baffled when i read about a guy some pages before talking about how his hotel company fired him after working 10 years there, only one week after quarantine.

How does that even happen? Did that company had 100 bucks in savings? What the hell.
fired or layed off? There is no point in keeping someone around to kick rocks all day.

if there is no work, there is no work.

Oct 27, 2017
A little bump

Last Friday we laid off 34 people because of our Governor's order to shut down "non-life sustaining" businesses. 18 hours later we received a waiver from the State Government and were back in business, we called everyone over the weekend and got them back in on Monday. But business is really slow, we're bleeding money and aren't close to covering our operating costs.

So today we had a meeting and decided that at the end of this week we'll lay off a majority of the workforce. Next week we will run with a skeleton crew and the following week if things don't pick up we will cut to the bone. It sucks that I have to have another fucking meeting letting people go (clearly it's worse for the people getting laid off but I think they know the reprieve was temporary). One positive thing in the middle of this shitshow is that the company has decided to pay everyone laid off an extra week of pay to help bridge the gap before unemployment kicks in.

We don't know when we can call them back, no idea at all

Aug 27, 2018
Yup, got laid off. Was told my state streamlined everything so things would go quickly and there would be very little time between losing my job and receiving unemployment benefits. Then found out they streamlined literally everything except the part that takes the longest, the three week wait to get approved for unemployment. So I'm still 2 weeks out from being approved for unemployment and hopefully receiving benefits.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got furloughed, reassignments/layoffs coming next week, and I work in healthcare.

Talked about it previously, but the news keeps getting worse. I have already been furloughed, which is no big deal because my wife makes the real money in the house. She is a physical therapist. They are still open since they are essential. But, they have absolutely zero new patients since hospitals aren't doing surgery and the general fear of going out.

Last week they were told they were going to have to start using paid time off, but the company was trying to ration it out instead of making people plow straight through it all at once. That seems to be changing today as right before she went to work she got a call from her boss telling her she had to tell two of her therapists that they are splitting Friday between them. Next week she can already tell she will be using a fuck ton of time off. But, they are quickly going to be left with not patients, and thus have no point of being open. I won't be surprised if they close up shop by the end of next week. And who knows when/if they'll open again. I mean, what do you do? Sit around for a year, or more, waiting for things to go back to normal? Can a company exist on paper only for a year? Just fucked.

It is real hard not to be super down right now. Two weeks ago we both had jobs we loved. Now mine is already gone, and hers is rapidly fizzling out before our eyes. Fuck.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Was laid off monday. Hoping to get unemployment and that that bill goes through for the $600.

thankfully it's temporary. I work construction and so theres no work and my boss laid me off telling me he'd rehire me when it picks back up. He also is still paying my health insurance which is great.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Talked about it previously, but the news keeps getting worse. I have already been furloughed, which is no big deal because my wife makes the real money in the house. She is a physical therapist. They are still open since they are essential. But, they have absolutely zero new patients since hospitals aren't doing surgery and the general fear of going out.

Last week they were told they were going to have to start using paid time off, but the company was trying to ration it out instead of making people plow straight through it all at once. That seems to be changing today as right before she went to work she got a call from her boss telling her she had to tell two of her therapists that they are splitting Friday between them. Next week she can already tell she will be using a fuck ton of time off. But, they are quickly going to be left with not patients, and thus have no point of being open. I won't be surprised if they close up shop by the end of next week. And who knows when/if they'll open again. I mean, what do you do? Sit around for a year, or more, waiting for things to go back to normal? Can a company exist on paper only for a year? Just fucked.

It is real hard not to be super down right now. Two weeks ago we both had jobs we loved. Now mine is already gone, and hers is rapidly fizzling out before our eyes. Fuck.

Hopefully Lindsay Graham stops holding the the bill in the Senate hostage because it has some great stuff in it. The bill will fully cover or cover half, depending on company size, of the salaries of furloughed employees.

The other day we were furloughed, then we weren't furloughed, they wanted us to show up and fill in wherever in the hospital. But turns out they have no organization to do that. So now we're furloughed again but kind of half furloughed, we're split into two teams with each team working 5 days in a two week period.

Our department relies on surgical specimens and biopsies and those are barely happening now. Word is regular surgeries are resuming in a month but the real shit with COVID hasn't even happened yet, so we'll see. With the government covering salaries and surgeries resuming not too far out I'm hopeful that we won't be laid off now.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Got myself a situation, any advice would be really helpful ERA. Posting here as well because someone with similar experience may offer some advice, or anyone in general.

Company has started to furlough a bunch of workers without a choice. Tomorrow, however, I expect to be given a choice since I have a friend higher up who let me know some of us will be getting this choice. Here are my choices:

1) Stay and work, but I'd go from salary to hourly. I would be paid $30/hr, so after two weeks (biweekly paid, 40hrs x2) that'd be $2400 BEFORE taxes. My normal salary is 2850 before taxes, so its a $400 pay cut. After taxes and withholdings (in Cali), I'd expect my take home to be around $1700. My workload is expected to become significantly more stressful to cover for the people that were furloughed, and I'd be unsure how the work etc would be played out since we'd have to do telehealth and my line of work (behavior therapy) does not make that an easy transition.

2) Choose to be furloughed, up to May 1st. Apply for unemployment, expect to get the cali 450 + hopefully the 600 fed help. So after 2 weeks, that'd be 2100, not far off from the hourly pay cut they're gonna offer. The cons are I'm not sure how quickly that 600 will be doled out . Also, my health insurance probable goes COBRA, right? Currently 130 gets withheld for health ($100) + dental + vision insurance. COBRA might be pricy? Pro's is some relaxation from the stressful past 2 weeks of trying to set everything up for it to come crashing down today for everyone in the company. I'm lucky to still live at home so rent etc is not a concern, and I'm really grateful for that. Have savings as well.

Really struggling to choose one. Any advice would be really helpful, appreciate it.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I worked two jobs, both restaurants.

They only do togo orders now. So they keep like 1 cook and a manager on. That's about it.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Got myself a situation, any advice would be really helpful ERA. Posting here as well because someone with similar experience may offer some advice, or anyone in general.

Company has started to furlough a bunch of workers without a choice. Tomorrow, however, I expect to be given a choice since I have a friend higher up who let me know some of us will be getting this choice. Here are my choices:

1) Stay and work, but I'd go from salary to hourly. I would be paid $30/hr, so after two weeks (biweekly paid, 40hrs x2) that'd be $2400 BEFORE taxes. My normal salary is 2850 before taxes, so its a $400 pay cut. After taxes and withholdings (in Cali), I'd expect my take home to be around $1700. My workload is expected to become significantly more stressful to cover for the people that were furloughed, and I'd be unsure how the work etc would be played out since we'd have to do telehealth and my line of work (behavior therapy) does not make that an easy transition.

2) Choose to be furloughed, up to May 1st. Apply for unemployment, expect to get the cali 450 + hopefully the 600 fed help. So after 2 weeks, that'd be 2100, not far off from the hourly pay cut they're gonna offer. The cons are I'm not sure how quickly that 600 will be doled out . Also, my health insurance probable goes COBRA, right? Currently 130 gets withheld for health ($100) + dental + vision insurance. COBRA might be pricy? Pro's is some relaxation from the stressful past 2 weeks of trying to set everything up for it to come crashing down today for everyone in the company. I'm lucky to still live at home so rent etc is not a concern, and I'm really grateful for that. Have savings as well.

Really struggling to choose one. Any advice would be really helpful, appreciate it.
Keep your foot in the door. Choose employment.

Unemployment numbers will hit double digits in the coming months, finding a new job will be a huge challenge and many will end up fighting over scraps for at least a year until the economy begins to ramp up again.

Last edited:

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Part of the Senate bill is the government covering the full or half of the salary(depends on company size) of furloughed employees for four months.

Oct 27, 2017

Unemployment numbers will hit double digits in the coming months, finding a new job will be a huge challenge and many will end up fighting over scraps for at least a year until the economy begins to ramp up again.
That's what I would do to, always choose employment in an environment like this

tmtyf

Oct 27, 2017

If he is furloughd he is still employed and is guaranteed his job back.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
basically half the company got layed off on Tuesday, pretty dim.

I'm still in the office; which at this point is allrite. There is only like 4-5 other people here so social distancing is super easy.

But, regardless of if i got layed off now or not, its not looking good. Tough times are comming up.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
If he is furloughd he is still employed and is guaranteed his job back.
For now. No job is "guaranteed" and you are a rare employee if you are not at will in the United States.

If things continue to go south, I wouldn't be wanting to rely on government checks. Those benefits only last for a maximum of 4 months. People who are still working will always take priority over a furloughed one, so I wouldn't be banking on a resolution of employment at the end of it

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I dodged the bullet today. Bunch of my colleagues have been put on unpaid leave, but I still have work. I'm at ease for now but it's a shit situation all in all.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Wife's business is forced close by the government. One of my brother-in--law's business has zero clients, other brother-in-law lost his full-time job but has a fallback, sister in law lost job. My sister is fine but her husband is at risk. So far my business is unscathed, but there's black clouds ahead.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
My company just furlough 2000 employees the other day... this is brutal. Im probably going to be next

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I started losing clients or getting complicated with the China Tariffs, then the COVID-19 did the final blow.
Its harsh atm, I been trying to find new sources of income from home, but where I'm from, it seems a bit hard to find atm.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
My thoughts go to you that lost their job.
Let's hope things bounce back sooner than any prognosis predicts, and that it bounces back fully.

I asked my manager today and he says I'm safe for now, but no long term guarantees.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Got my letter in the mail today: they finally shut down my entire resort, so I'm furloughed until further notice. Still have the option of using my PTO, but I'm going to hold off on that for a bit and simply apply for the unemployment. I expect to come back when the resort reopens though since I work front desk, but that depends on how long it takes for the resort to reopen; and I don't expect that for a few months.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I got laid off today, well technically I've been furloughed for a minimum of 8 weeks but could be 12 weeks. The Irish government will pay 70% of my pay up to €410 a week.

I'm now looking forward to getting through my movie/game/book backlog.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019

I'd keep the job. Since they are switching you to salary, they can't make you work 60 hours a week for a 40 hour rate. Also, like others have said, its best to stay employed if possible. I stuck it out with a demotion and reduced hours back in 2008 and it worked out great in the end.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
I've been working for like 18 years straight. I've never been unemployed. Not sure how I'll handle it when it comes. Got mortgage, wife and kids. Got some savings but I'm not sure how this will go.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm on temp lay off and the unemployment services are so backed up with calls, I can't get through to complete my claim. I called them 134 times today lol

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
You hanging in there so far? I think it's only started to really register with me over the past two days. They've been...rough.
Yeah. I have been more fortunate than most. The show I was working on ran for a week before it closed so at least people go to see it. The timing of everything meant that a lot of people put a lot of work into shows that no one got to see as they had to cancel right before opening. I still got honoured for that contract as well. I would have just started building the set for our next show this week so it is a bit weird to not be working when I was expecting to but I was informed by the theatre I am contracted with that they will still be honouring %75 of my contract. I know a lot of people did not get so lucky. I should be relatively stable until summer which is what I am actually worried about. If this thing lasts until then (and it seems likely to) then festivals will be cancelled and that is basically my summer income eradicated.

It is a tough time for this industry for sure. I know a lot of people who are going through some really hard times. Worst part is, you can't even get together and support each other in person.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been working for like 18 years straight. I've never been unemployed. Not sure how I'll handle it when it comes. Got mortgage, wife and kids. Got some savings but I'm not sure how this will go.

First the government is providing money for companies to furlough. If that isn't an option they've really beefed up unemployment benefits. They've also added mortgage relief, you'll likely be able to defer your mortgage for up to a year. Check and see if Sallies Mae of Freddie Mac hold your mortgage, they both have links on their website.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently okay, but I'm concerned for my employees. Anyone going after any of the grocery jobs that are booming from demand? Those must be temp positions.

I think a lot of grocery groups are trying to meet demand and compete with Amazon who look like they're going in for the kill hiring 100,000 warehouse and delivery employees.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm employed but our operating hours are being shortened and everyone's hours are being cut pretty hard. Living skinny for the foreseeable future but at least I'm still employed I guess.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just filed for unemployment for the first time in my life. Sucks :/ My place of work plans to open again after the stay home order ends, though (maybe?)

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Im lucky enough to have a high position in a pretty big IT company. But even people like me are not safe in the mid-long run, not many jobs are safe after 4/6 months of serious slowdown. At the moment you expend your usefulness in foreseeable future, you're in for it.

Just stay safe and anticipate already even if you think you are safe right now, it's a situation the likes of which we've never seen before, for sure.

RainerDrix

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
I just got furloughed. I'm a x-ray tech for an outpatient diagnostic imaging center on LI, NY. The company (30ish offices)went from doing 4000+ exams (X-ray/Mammo/Bone Density/CT/MRI/US) a day to 1200 and decreasing daily.

Last edited:

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Furloughed as of today. Not given any time other than "until further notice." Work at a Toyota service center as an advisor. Went from about 150 cars a day and me writing up 30 cars a day to 5-6 max in the last few days and that's with a few of my coworkers not coming in due to the virus. This sucks.

Weapxn

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
New York, NY
It is a tough time for this industry for sure. I know a lot of people who are going through some really hard times. Worst part is, you can't even get together and support each other in person.
Yeah. My last show ended after the first week of February, and I was literally about to go back to work when I got a text "Don't come in tomorrow." They're paying me for 2.5 weeks, but woof. I'm on unemployment after that. Yay. (ugh.)

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
Software developer for General Motors. Just got a 20% pay cut today that will be "paid back with interest no later than March 15, 2021". With a hint that layoffs may occur in the future if the pandemic occurs for longer than expected (not sure how long they expect it to happen, but I'm assuming it will last longer than that).

6500 workers who can't WFH got furloughed but are still getting paid 75% of their salary.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Recently turned a consulting gig into a full time thing. Founder/ceo departed from the company in December and I took over January 1. We are a small business located in Tribeca. I was just getting things going and starting to get into profit margins when this hit, had to lay off my entire staff and then today the main investor called me and told me we would be shutting down for good. The landlord won't give any sort of rent concessions and we just don't have the bank roll to weather the storm. So I am officially unemployed for the first time in 4 years, going to be an interesting summer.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm extremely conflicted. I got laid off on fucking Tuesday after mass layoffs at my company on Friday. It sucks because I work in IT and I couldn't really leave the office so I had to work even on Saturday due to remote people. Now my issue here is that I wanted my next job to be a software engineer/developer job since I'm officially burnt out of doing IT work. The pandemic now means my plan is accelerated a bit.

I want to find a junior dev job but the job market in Florida sucks for developers. I was thinking to at least study a bit more and learn more languages and concept for about three months to get a job I actually want. I'm not sure if I should really gamble like that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still wondering why hotels are still open. I feel for those housekeepers having to clean up after others in a time like this.
Some hotels are essentially apartment complexes. There's a bunch of weekly hotels in Vegas with front desk staff and all that; people live there full time. They're not much cheaper than regular apartments, if they are cheaper, but they come furnished and allow for flexibility for people who don't have stable income or can't get approved for an apartment.

And in my case, my hotel was actually a timeshare resort, which probably had some legal stuff about it that allowed it to stay open since people owned there and probably could legally be considered a residence given people have mortgage payments and property taxes. But the letter I got today said resort operations were suspended. I don't know if that means they kicked everyone out, but no one is coming in since front desk (where I work) is shut down.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thankfully very job stable because I do research funded by government grants as a PhD student and my husband is a special ed teacher (always in demand). But I feel so awful that layoffs have become so real so quickly for others. My thoughts are with you, Era.

Oct 27, 2017
They cut our hours down by 20%. And we normally pull OT in April for taxes. Don't know how we're expected to do the job we're assigned. I am by far not the worst one off in this but, until today, I had been deluding myself into believing I was lucky and my job was immune.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Not laid off but we are a 911 dispatch center and are running on minimum staffing. We work in a small basement area in close proximity to others so boss thinks it's a good idea to have fewer people at once. While that sounds good, getting overwhelmed with calls and not being able to provide a fast efficient service to those in need is an accident waiting to happen.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Mexico here. 8 so far at my state. Only 1 serious case and it's from a relative that returned from Mexico City. I'm out of danger so far.

My employer started to send all administrative staff (about 150) to do home office... Except 4 of us and most of people on the factory (around 1200 people) at half pay and no cafeteria privileges until this gets sorted out (Not even the vending machines ffs!). Of course there is a lot of people that just plain out stoped coming or caring because they felt left out.

I feel that the company is going belly up soon and this just accelerated everything.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yup, just got layed-off/furloughed at my train company. The cut half the work force for reduced hours. Good thing that stimulus passed and I was able to defer some of my immediate bills.