• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i guess im technally laid off now

my job has ceased field operations yesterday, but my place is cool so its still gonna pay us for our time out of work and not use sick days or pto

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I am a designer that worked in a big oil and gas company, Wednesday was my last day of work. They let go all of their contractors including me, as far as I know. I am currently looking for something new, but it will be pretty rough considering the situation and how the economy will most likely go to shit for a little bit. If any of you guys know of any designer roles in the US, please let me know. I am currently in Houston, but I am willing to relocate. I have experience in the gaming industry (4 years) and the oil and gas industry (2years). Thanks everyone!

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Someone at work tested positive last night. We are shut down today with no word on when/if we are coming back.

good thing people still weren't taking this seriously at work fuckin morons

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still working. But my sister was sent home (not fired) for an undetermined amount of time.
It sucks because she recently got a promotion. I'm kind of scared that she might be let go.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Every day at work we come with the expectation the site might be closed down at any moment. Work in a timeshare hotel, classifies as essential due to housing but it's basically empty with the exception of a few northerners who have been here since forever and are afraid of going back up north. And we closed new reservations some time ago so we're sitting at around 15% capacity right now.

Now I know for sure it's going to happen, yet the real problem is that the administration is hard pressed to do it because they fight for their employee's a lot and wants to make sure they don't pull the trigger to soon on it since that could also be detrimental to them. No word on layoffs (they don't want to do that) but it's not impossible.

Nov 9, 2017
My GF just got furloughed for up to 90 days. She gets to keep her benefits and all of her work from home equipment doesn't have to be returned at this time. Anyone know if it is a frequent thing that furloughed workers never get brought back to their old positions? She works corporate for a major hotel company.

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
I'm very fortunate that my job is secure and stable, and if I absolutely had to miss time I have about 7-8 months of PTO banked away that I can use in a worst case scenario.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I work in IT for my company and this corona virus had given me more work than I can chew. All those hundreds of people need help with working from home. They need me more than ever and I'm glad I can work from home.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
My heart goes out to all of you who've lost their job, especially with how quickly this has all come about.

Wishing you all nothing but the best during this terrible time

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My GF just got furloughed for up to 90 days. She gets to keep her benefits and all of her work from home equipment doesn't have to be returned at this time. Anyone know if it is a frequent thing that furloughed workers never get brought back to their old positions? She works corporate for a major hotel company.

It happen, but this is a unique situation. I'd guess that hotels will open back up and need people. That said, we don't know the effects of this virus long-term or how long it will last.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was doing engineering on a retrofitting an existing gas plant with Carbon Capture and it just got "deferred".

Its really unfortunate because it would have been a lot of work for a lot of people for a really long time but I'm hoping it will come back when we get to the other side of this thing. Thankfully I have another job to work on that to hopefully keep me busy through to the end of the year but for a lot of other people this is the end of the road.

I feel especially bad for my counterparts in india, it sounds like the lockdown basically fucked them over because they cant WFH because a lot of them dont even have proper broadband in the areas they live in.

Oct 26, 2017
Whelp, I'm joining the crew. I got laid off a couple days ago. =/

At least Canada is offering the CERB, which should help out a bit.

Aug 27, 2018
I was laid off on March 16th so that day I filed for unemployment. It took 10 days to get approved, upon being approved I was told I had to go a week without pay before I got my first check. Now if any of you have been following this you might remember the federal government say that the one week wait would be waived, and it has been in most states. But I live in Nebraska, and Nebraska is only waiving the 1 week without pay if you filed on or after the 22nd, because they wouldn't want people effected by the coronavirus to get that extra week of funds. So I probably won't receive a bit of money for 3 weeks straight at this point all because my state wants to fight tooth and nail to keep me from collecting unemployment during a literal pandemic. My state is fucked.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I filed for unemployment last Monday and have heard absolutely nothing. I really don't want to have to call and bother someone who I am sure is getting slammed fucking hard right now. But, the Illinois site kinda sucks. There is just absolutely no information to be found, like to check your status or anything. I would just like to see something that confirms it went through last week when I did it. Didn't get an email or anything confirming it last week.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
I got laid off today after receiving an email yesterday about an important conference call. Not being able to log into the work computer this morning gave it away. Good to know all the sacrifices I made at at company for 14 years, paying for my own college and putting off a promotion to help out the team out are for nothing. Never trust anything a company tells you.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
My friend was laid off today. She only just started March 9th. Small architecture firm, we work mostly with NYC public housing, schools and the DDC. All work is suspended for now and we're clearing out our backlog but running on a skeleton crew as of now. Principal architect and company owner plan for this lay off to be temporary and I believe them. They have been wonderful to all of us and thw owner is the kind of person to really try and help his employees.

Just sucks and has me worried even though I'm staying on.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got laid off today after receiving an email yesterday about an important conference call. Not being able to log into the work computer this morning gave it away. Good to know all the sacrifices I made at at company for 14 years, paying for my own college and putting off a promotion to help out the team out are for nothing. Never trust anything a company tells you.

I just got a email like this today.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm sorry.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sorry about off topic, but not sure where to ask.

I applied for unemployment. Is there anything extra I need to do in order to receive the $600 federal along with the state or should I get that automatically with the state?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, got furloughed, was still working part time but a coworker got Corona without telling anyone so they closed down the office.

Since it's a furlough instead of a lay-off, do I still have to submit my resume for Caljobs? (This is for California EDD if anyone knows).

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
That sucks. Good Luck with the call.

that's such a dick move
Thanks and yup, pretty crap move on their part. It's also like they ghosted me and everyone else let go. No further information in the packet they mailed me, just a transcript of the conference call. No response on emails either, although I'm not sure who all is left. Hopefully I'll find a job elsewhere before they try to call me back.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Been trying to get into the restaurant workers relief fund for 3 hours, only managed to get a new account registered during that entire time. The site has been getting destroyed all day, crashes and errors and five minute load times on any link you click, which you then have to reload again and again and again

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They let me go Tuesday. Wasted 7 years of my life for this dogshit company. I feel free. Like a new man. Cashing out my 401k and finishing my degree while all of this is going on so I can re-enter the job market stronger than before. The waiting is the worst part. I've just been kinda futzing around the house, playing video games, baking a little. Not sure what to do with my free time considering classes don't start until May.

OP
OP
Hinkypunk

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
They let me go Tuesday. Wasted 7 years of my life for this dogshit company. I feel free. Like a new man. Cashing out my 401k and finishing my degree while all of this is going on so I can re-enter the job market stronger than before. The waiting is the worst part. I've just been kinda futzing around the house, playing video games, baking a little. Not sure what to do with my free time considering classes don't start until May.
Good for you! To be honest, not a bad idea to focus on education. By the time you get your degree (1 year? 2?) I'm hopeful the economy will be back to where we were pre-COVID.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Partially furloughed. Down to 4 days a week.

Job says they're doing something with unemployment. Anyone else getting this? I'm in GA.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
20% paycut, supposedly reevaluate in 60 days but I think there will be more reductions before that.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My company's two week furlough ended on Friday, but they ended up extending it another two weeks. This is for a hospital network, mind you. I dodged the bullet both times and am extremely thankful that I'm still working, but the fear of losing my job always lingers. The director of our department basically told us to brace ourselves for further furloughs. I work from home every day thinking that I could be next at any minute. Sucks.

It's so bad that my wife is scheduled to give birth to our 2nd child this coming week and I only took a few days off while she's in the hospital because I was afraid of being away from work for too long. If they notice they're operating fine without me, I may not come back...

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I was laid off last week. Might be hired back after this is all said and done, but you just don't know what the future brings. I was able to already line up some freelance work, so that's good.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Last day was Thursday, and unfortunately I don't qualify for regular unemployment since I didn't make enough. Started a new job about a month and a half ago, and was let go due to seniority rules. Shit sucks, and now I hope I can qualify for the expanded unemployment benefits once MA gets more federal guidance.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I joined the ranks of the unemployed last week. I saw it coming after the part time people were let go the week before but was hoping the company would try and keep us on. I'd only started there like 2 months ago so I was first on the block of the full time people.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My company is laying off 10% of its employees along with a 10% paycut for those remaining. I wasn't laid off but I expect more layoffs in the future.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Company said that starting May 1st we're getting a 10% paycut that'll go until at least November 1st. No reduction in hour expectations which is at 45 hours a week with timekeeping for billable hours. They didn't mention in the announcement but we were later told they let go of people on performance improvement plans. If nothing else, I need to brush up my resume and start sending out feelers for anything out there. I'm glad I still have my job at least.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
15 % paycut. Next 3 months will determine if our company remains open or closes for good.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I filed for my second week and i still haven't gotten anything from unemployment :/
They must be really clogged up right now with claims.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm very lucky. The GNY area has shifted completely to a WFH situation around 3 weeks ago (I told my bosses 2 weeks before that, when the first confirmed case hit NY, that I wouldn't be coming in until this was over). They're slashing 401K contributions for at least this quarter. All pay raises and merit-based bonuses are similarly deferred for at least one quarter. No travel or OT will be approved for at least a quarter. But so far, no one's been laid off, and no salaries or hourly wages are being impacted (minus, I suppose, those that actually put in OT).

I work in corporate insurance, FWIW. On the broking side. We're one of the big ones. I hope this is the extent that we're affected. TBQH, most of us can do much of our work at home, so I don't think our book of business will be heavily impacted. At least, not my department within this company. I can't speak to other departments.

If anything, I'm actually coming out ahead. I've put a halt on my recurring transit card and slashed my commuting and eating-out expenses to nothing.

pleighboi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got laid off march 27th

Even had me sign a COR

I applied for unemployment and was accepted. I am grateful for that.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Got laid off as a business analyst, im pretty shocked, since i was working on a few critical projects. Regardless, there will be plenty of work for me in the future. Just need to ride this out.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for you! To be honest, not a bad idea to focus on education. By the time you get your degree (1 year? 2?) I'm hopeful the economy will be back to where we were pre-COVID.

Thanks, man!

I actually only have 14 credit hours left so I should be done by the end of the year. I'm excited to finally be done with this haha.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Work for Toyota Maunfactering. We have been off since the 20th of March and were suppose to go back tomorrow but we got extended till the 23rd and will be off probably even longer since no one is purchasing automobiles right now. Paid up till the 10th but after that I've had to file for UI. Both me and the wife work there and she has indicated she might just quit if we don't go back soon and work elsewhere but I think we have invested too much time there and moved up in pay to just throw it away. I rather ride it out, it's doubtful they reduce their workforce and they will start up again as soon as things start to normalize.