• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Of course this is their game plan, they know he ruined his name for the rest of his life.

link

Nick Sandmann, the Kentucky high school student at the center of a viral confrontation with a Native American elder in front of the Lincoln Memorial last month, has filed a $250 million defamation lawsuit against The Washington Post. According to a press release from the law firm Hemmer, DeFrank, and Wessels, the suit alleges that the Post "ignored basic journalist standards" and waged "malicious attacks" on Sandmann by "falsely accusing him" of instigating the tense standoff with Phillips. The lawsuit claims the Post's coverage "caused permanent damage to [Sandmann's] life and reputation" because the paper "wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump" by targeting Trump supporters. The suit further claims the newspaper published "False and Defamatory Accusations," proving itself to be a "loud and aggressive bully with a bully pulpit." Sandmann and his attorneys seek $50 million in compensatory damages and $200 million in punitive damages to "teach the Post a lesson it will never forget." The suit also notes that $250 million is the same amount Amazon founder Jeff Bezos bought the newspaper for in 2013.

sandmann-and-phillips-550x330.jpg

Just in case people forgot

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Just use your mothers maiden name and keep it pushing kid. You're going to lose the case and just make yourself more infamous. Would have already forgot about him without this dumb lawsuit.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Covington people realize that WaPo has actually been sympathetic to Nazi ideals for a while now?

edit: Ok whoops, someone pointed out that all those Nazi sympathy articles are op-eds while the main site leans left.

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope he still has that shit-eating grin when the judge gives the win to The Post.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rich mommy and daddy throwing money around to really control this narrative.

God help us if the judge sides with these assholes.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Young conservative media head in the making.

What a nice resume of sticking it to libs.

This is what the media gets for being soft.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That poster is probably getting the Post and the Times mixed up.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I'd really like to see how they justify the 50 million in compensatory damages. Is Nick Sandmann blacklisted from ever having a job?* Is he a wizkid who would otherwise get a high 6-figure salary out of college and every year until he retires? Does he need to see the best and most expensive shrink in the world to deal with that trauma?

*Surely he could still get a job at Surefire Intelligence...

Oct 25, 2017
Quite the coincidence that Clarence Thomas recently said the Supreme Court should review libel precedent to potentially make it easier for defamation suits to move forward.

That can't be true, Thomas never says anything!

As far as I saw in the coverage though, the kid's got nothing but lawyers blowing smoke. A major news organization isn't going to get itself into the situation where it can have been considered to have committed libel. Hence all the "alleged perpetrator" when they pull a guy with smoking guns out of a shooting, etc. They'd have to prove that the Post deliberately and maliciously knew they were publishing false info.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He being boosted up by The Right, look for the little blurb that says the suit was quietly dropped

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the filing is so inflammatory and seeking an absurd amount in damages that *coincidentally* happens to be the market value of the entire newspaper tells me this is a suit that is about posturing, not winning.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like he could have avoided this by not publicly attending a political rally with a large visible group of politically aligned supporters of a likely abortion utilizing public figure and then deliberately intimidating an elderly man and publicly posing in front of cameras.

Also I feel like he has the worst parents possible.