• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
CNBC

• Cowen believes EA's "Battlefield V" game may put the company's financial guidance at risk.
  • The firm's analyst said preorders for "Battlefield V" are tracking more than 85 percent behind "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4," which is substantially worse than previous instances.
  • "Battlefield 3" and "Battlefield 4" titles lagged "Call of Duty" by about 20 percent to 40 percent and "Battlefield 1" actually tracked ahead of "Call of Duty" at this point before launch.

"This is very far off the tracking levels of previous Battlefield titles in 2011, 2013, and 2016," he said. "With a release date directly in between CoD and RDR, we worry that BFV could be headed for a similar fate as 2016's Titanfall 2, which got squeezed out by its launch date directly between Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare."

The analyst said the 13 million to 14 million unit sales, which he estimates is factored into EA's guidance for the title, is not looking achievable.

Last edited:

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think the beta (console) will change all that, people just need to see the game for themselves before committing. At least that's where I am, everything sounds good so far, just need to see how it all works together.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder how much of this tepid reception is in response to negative reaction for Battlefront 2...

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
I have it preordered...5-6 friends had a blast playing BF1 daily, hoping for more of the same with this one.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It will sell. For me personally I liked the modern setting I found BF1 MP didn't have the hold on me that BF4 did.

I would love a Vietnam game with this engine though would be bananas.

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Rip WW1 and 2 settings.

How did cod ww2 do?
Best selling CoD for launch since Ghosts, Black Ops 3 had better legs and better player populations. Game was a success financially and player base wise. Likely the 2nd best CoD for Activision this Gen

As far as Activision is concerned this is likely how the CoD games rank in terms of $$ (Sales and MTX) + Player count

1. Black Ops 3
  2. MW3
  3. Black Ops
  4. Black Ops 2
  5. WWII
  6. MW2
  7. Ghosts
  8. Advanced Warfare
  9. Infinite Warfare
  10. CoD4
  11. Waw
I would imagine Black Ops 4 will likely take the 5th spot, if Blackout mode is a success it could be anywhere in the Top 3.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
People burned out of on the franchise with BF1. I sure as heck did. Nothing I've seen in BFV is grabbing my attention other than the graphics and engine tech.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the beta (console) will change all that, people just need to see the game for themselves before committing. At least that's where I am, everything sounds good so far, just need to see how it all works together.
Yup. Games need demos/alphas/ betas open for everyone to keep excitement up. Too many games out there., easy to get lost

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
Doing world war back to back is gonna get them. Honestly, these companies should just switch it up every year to keep it fresh. Modern one year, world war another, future the next etc

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Games need demos/alphas/ betas open for everyone to keep excitement up. Too many games out there., easy to get lost

Yep, as much as I hate hype, it is so built into gaming that when you just dump game footage on YouTube and don't bother to advertise the game or only put out open betas until one month before release, well it's probably going to have a significant effect on how well the game is going to sell.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What do you guys attribute the huge preorder numbers of other games without demos/alphas/betas to?

It's a Battlefield game. Everyone knows how it's going to play. I'd imagine the game's failure here can be attributed to either:

A) Battlefield/WW2 ennui.

or

B) People are still mad about that E3 trailer that has the woman soldier with a bionic arm.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm not that excited but I'll probably end up buying a big FPS by the end of the year and with COD dropping a campaign I'm leaning back into BFV

Feb 10, 2018
Im so done with the call of duty and battlefield of game, the battle royale modes might be fun though.

Last edited:

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Well they introduced the game badly.

They announced features that will be available at a later date.

The closed alpha and the one map didn't help also.

The open beta and the Rotterdam map will help pre-orders but I have a feeling that BFV will be a perfect game for the Origin Premier Access.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is false, Grand Operations will be at launch.
But you know what won't be?

The United States, the Soviet Union, the Japanese Empire, the Italian Empire, the Free French.

I can imagine regular players hearing about a World War II Battlefield and expecting to see D-Day, Stalingrad, and Iwo Jima and like and just seeing Rotterdam, which they probably don't even know about.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Wonder why it is apparently tracking badly behind expectation. As a BF fan I'm looking forward to the game, but I have to say the excitement of WW2 is considerably below the anticipation I had for a WW1 entry. Personally, I would have prefered a vietnam era game.

Could it be a knock on from Battlefront 2? Or, is it down to the lacklustre marketing so far - the reveal wasn't particuarly great and the E3 presence was quite poor. Saying that, I wouldn't write it off yet. The open Beta has a great change of generating momentum.

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What do you guys attribute the huge preorder numbers of other games without demos/alphas/betas to?

It's a Battlefield game. Everyone knows how it's going to play. I'd imagine the game's failure here can be attributed to either:

A) Battlefield/WW2 ennui.

or

B) People are still mad about that E3 trailer that has the woman soldier with a bionic arm.

WWII setting and how they are portraying it, not in terms of women or anything but the maps and setting. I want BF1 style, gritty beach landings in the pacific, D-Day assaults, Pearl Harbor, Pacific Theatre Island Hopping, Battle of the Bulge.

Fighting in Norway (Or sweden or whatever) with northern lights in broad daylight just doesn't appeal the the WWII media thirst that I have, which is low to begin with. Rotherham was never even invaded and we have two maps taking place in it? WTF?

Also the majority of the changes are under the hood or small gameplay mechanics that are hard to market.

Oct 27, 2017
But you know what won't be?

The United States, the Soviet Union, the Japanese Empire, the Italian Empire, the Free French.

I can imagine regular players hearing about a World War II Battlefield and expecting to see D-Day, Stalingrad, and Iwo Jima and like and just seeing Rotterdam, which they probably don't even know about.
I am more excited for the Norwegian campaign that I would be of another rehash of D-Day for the nth time.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Call of Duty has a multiple weekend beta that required pre-orders. It's going to be well ahead. The situations aren't comparable. Call of Duty will probably be the best or second best selling game of the year as well. Battlefield was never going to beat it.