• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Maybe you've heard someone reference a post. Maybe you've walked by someone's desk and happened to glance over to see the tell-tale dark background with teal headers. Or maybe you've openly spoken with someone about it (which I doubt that because who the hell talks to coworkers about forum posts?).

Era, have you ever thought that a coworker was a poster on this very forum?

I have my own suspicions, but I keep them to myself. Relative anonymity is a commodity these days. But I see you, I respect you. May we both continue in peace.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I barely have any coworkers that play video games at all

Most of the time I get a lot of middle aged women asking me for shopping advice for their kids. Them posting on ResetEra is the least of my concerns.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my co-workers knows about Era, and used to post on GAF years ago, but doesn't post on forums at all any more. I know this because it came up when he saw me browsing Era at work. He's watching me type this as we speak. He said to tell everyone that he says "hello".

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who uses this website.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So you're saying there's a chance?

Shit there is some weeb near me

Oh god there might be a chance
One of my co-workers knows about Era, and used to post on GAF years ago, but doesn't post on forums at all any more. I know this because it came up when he saw me browsing Era at work. He's watching me type this as we speak. He said to tell everyone that he says "hello".

Hi coworker
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who uses this website.

hi me

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I have my own office fortunately. Rarely venture out. I dont think I could handle the awkwardness if someone saw

They'll inevitably ask for my username. It happened at my old place while I was on Twitter

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i did the other day see a car that had a bunch of bernie 2020 and smash/nintendo bumper stickers and was like "that dude's gotta be on era" lmao

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Even people I know who play video games don't read this website.

If you know me from somewhere and are lurking this post, come out and face me you coward.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Of the people I work with who play games, none of them have ever heard of Era when I ask. Most use Reddit.

Richy78

Oct 27, 2017
Work unrelated, but last October I was travelling business class on a short flight and the guy sitting on the row next to me was browsing ERA constantly felt weird!

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I have one who I know is on here. I actually never asked him for his username or anything but he's a cool guy. I think he mainly posts on the Gaming side.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
None.

The closest one, who would potentially use this site, wouldn't make it more than 24 hours before being perma banned. The rest are older, I am in my mid 30s, and do not play video games or argue politics online.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I don't know why but i seem to create a ring around me keeping people away who play games. So the chances to met Era/vintage Gaffers are rather slim.
Only know a few buddies who game but they are complete CoD, Fifa/really popular shooter people. If you would ask them about Bloodborne ir Final Fantasy, there faces would be blank.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I know at least one or two of my coworkers must. One owns a game publishing company and invests in indies so I assume they'd be on here. Don't know anyone's handles though. My dumb ass uses the same avatar for work and resetera so I'm probably work doxing myself out here...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally the only non-boomer working at my office, so hopefully none of them post here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Reddit would be pushing it, not a chance of here. Most just watch Twitter videos and occasionally read a Tweet they think is funny, rarely gaming related, usually footy.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had plenty of "gamer" co-workers who browse Reddit, GameFAQS, etc. But I doubt any of them actually have accounts on those sites. I think most "casual gamer" types probably Google information on gaming content and stumble upon Era threads. But I don't think they're interested in being part of the community. You'd be surprised how many people simply "lurk" Era and other forums.

I actually showed one of my friends Era, because he mentioned a gaming forum he frequents for advice, but he didn't seem interested in creating an account or anything. I think that's the biggest factor - keeping anonymity online. Even if I met a co-worker/friend who frequents the same forums as me, I don't think I'd openly tell them my usernames or be upfront about how much time I spend on the forums or anything like that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
doubt. there's maybe only like a half a dozen era members in my city. maybe

This kind of dovetails with the bigger question of why era membership is lower than the old site... I recall there was about 500,000 accounts there but only 50,000 here. Is it just a time thing or is the appeal narrower here?

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
My office is like 80% trumpers sooo I doubt it.

I don't use era on my computer anyway, I keep leisure on my phone.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I noticed a coworker browsing with Light Theme.

I have avoided them ever since.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This kind of dovetails with the bigger question of why era membership is lower than the old site... I recall there was about 500,000 accounts there but only 50,000 here. Is it just a time thing or is the appeal narrower here?
The old site was one of the most prolific gaming-oriented forums and it'd been around in some form for a very, very, very long time.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
most of my co-workers are so far removed from gaming; got only one who games but he plays games like fortnite/FIFA/COD which aren't my type stuff.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure other people at the game studio I work for are members here, but they're definitely not in my immediate area.

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
So you're saying there's a chance?

giphy.gif

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
not era, but my coworker made a thread back on gaf because i was using the work training computers to browse gaf

he eventually found out who i was during my last month on the job, i'd say i did a pretty good job hiding