• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 12, 2017
You ever wander into a town, village, or even a particular shop and it just feels so nice and homey? You almost want to live there inside the game world, and just be a simple villager or shop keeper and have an ideallic country life. Even when setting out back on the road to adventure in the game, I feel bad about leaving the town.

Nintendo are the masters of this. The most recent towns to make me feel like this are Hateno & Kakariko from BOTW. What are you favorite cozy towns and settings?

Honorable Mention : First town from Okami.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill, easily!

I've never fallen in love with a setting as much as I have for Silent Hill. The definition of nice and homey and cozy for me<3

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Dragon Roost Island.
0010_1.jpg

I love all of Wind Waker's world, but DRI is one of my favorite game locations ever.

Nov 1, 2017
Frontier Village from Xenoblade. Trying to find the NPC you're looking for was impossible, but the music and setting made it bearable.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
When you were playing the GCN Animal Crossing during winter, and sometimes villagers would make igloos.

latest

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's mostly nostalgia because it was the first RPG I played all the way through, but FF1 has some charming little towns. Elfheim and Gaia are both great, so green and pleasant!

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4 and 5 are great for this.

Maybe weird answer but the first Bionicle game MNOG is one of my favorite relaxing settings.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Firelink & Majula from Dark Souls, mainly cause they're safe

Ori and the Blind forest is all like that as well

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some of my favorites.

Assassin's creed 2's Monteriggioni.
5iRbtJy.jpg

Dark Souls 2's Majula:
maxresdefault.jpg

Mass Effect's Normandy
latest

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome idea for a thread! :D I could mention a ton of places in games here but to mention the most recent example, Hateno Village from Breath of the Wild:

latest

I went 99% blind into BotW and didn't even have the minimap enabled, I just navigated through NPC dialog and landmarks and when the game sent me into the vague direction of Hateno I spotted the town from a nearby tower not thinking much. Then the music started to play as I entered it and I don't know why I literally teared up for a second because everything about Hateno just made me feel at home. As I explored the town I fell more and more in love with it and for the next few days I played the game I found myself having a hard time even leaving the town.

Imagine how I felt when I found out that:

I could actually buy a house and live in Hateno, I was overjoyed and honestly wished for a while the game would simply turn into Rune Factory or Harvest Moon without me having to worry about the big, bad Ganon, I just wanted to keep living in Hateno.

Other than that Inaba from Persona 4 definitely gets a shoutout too along with nearly every game that is set in small Japanese towns, bonus-points if it's near the ocean.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Traverse Town in Kingdom Hearts 1. It is the place I think of when I think of cozy game levels.

The music helps tremendously with its cozy atmosphere.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Kokiri Forest in OOT
Forest of Illusion in Super Mario World

When I was a kid, we lived surrounded by a lot of woods. These settings remind me of going out and exploring them.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your attic apartment in Persona 5 with the Behind the Mask (rainy) music playing is sublime. That juxtaposed with the crazy Tokyo stuff and music really sets it apart. So so well done.

End of Time Chrono Trigger did this as well.

The Tower in Destiny felt awesome if you were trying to beat some raid for the first time and it was taking hours.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
1. Citadel Mass from Effect 1 - The soundtrack and overall ambiance felt amazing for space sci-fi fan like me
2. (Not exactly bustling with trade but) Small town in Nepal nestled within the mountain ranges in Uncharted 2
3. Parts of Persona 3 and 4 (can't recall details). Yet to play P5.
4. Hunter's Dream from Bloodborne
5. Destiny 2's 2nd Hub world.

Uncharted 4:
I wanna live here.

Might want to spoiler tag that. Also, I agree with that choice.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Traverse Town in the first Kingdom Hearts. Music really helped too.

Probably my pick as well. It's sad it didn't come back in the sequels.

I also love the towns in Chrono Cross.

Within the context of the game, New LA felt very cosy and safe in Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Overall, japanese games tend to fit those criteria much better than western ones, which usually favor darker and grittier settings.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Anyone else misinterpret the title?

I was going to say "a toggle option for chromatic aberration".

...this makes way more sense lol.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Paragliding into Hateno Village in the afternoon rain, while my balcony door and every window was open in my house as an actual spring storm poured outside. I can't remember ever feeling more relaxed and content while playing a game.

Oct 27, 2017
star-ocean-2-second-story-rena-reflection.jpg

Arlia in Star Ocean 2. Dat music and just a nice overall feel to it, especially with the forest out back. Sure, it's a generic JRPG starting town, but there's something about it that stands out that I can't really explain.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
demul07a_160818_scree4pk21.png

Shenmue's Dobuita (plus the suburban neighbourhoods of Sakuragaoka and Yamanose) feel like this. It has seedier parts, but it was always a great representation of an average home town; which was really helped by the protagonist knowing pretty much everyone in the area. Cosy, not too flashy, but kind of an undercurrent that the place is sort of on the slide economically. If you grew up in a place like that you can find a sense of familiarity and nostalgia despite being set in 1980s Japan.