• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): System wars and history of previous infractions
I was so hyped when I originally saw the Gamescom reveal of Crackdown in 2015. Having played the tech demo, I still had fun with the game and plan on playing it through GamePass, but after watching this it's clear that this is a huuuge step from what we were originally shown. I don't know if it was too ambitious, or wasn't practical for gameplay. But whatever the reason, I wish the game was more like the 2015 version. Shooting Styrofoam just doesn't feel the same.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
ultimately, the game back then wasn't fun, the game now is something they feel more confident in

Nov 23, 2017
They weren't even showing close to a playable game in 2015. It was the most vertical of vertical slices probably ever and they even said that and admitted it.

Downgrade hysteria on here has really soured me on game release discussions these days.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People really have a hate boner for this game. Don't you people want a good sequel to CD1 or what?

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean looking at this it doesn't paint a pretty picture, but you gotta realize though it probably wasn't very fun to play and isnt that why we play games for fun. So yeah if they had to decrease the gfx to make it more fun, then im all for it.

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Continued pattern of trolling and system wars
Looks like a PS2 game in 2015, looks like a PS2 game with dialed down dustruction in 2019.

Oct 25, 2017
The destruction model is still better than anything else out there and, to be quite honest, I didn't think anything we saw in the original demo would come to fruition so soon. These things are difficult, but MS is well placed to learn from the experience and further develop the technology. That's a good thing.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That thumbnail sure is something.

Game sure has been downgraded from the initial demo, and the destruction at this point feels like it's at a level you could see in any AAA game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
QMtEehX.gif

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing that 2015 was probably played under optimal settings and as they continued to develop this stuff they realized it was far too ambitious leading to what we have today.

Which honestly isn't as bad as what they are showing in the video.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the differences are likely gameplay related.

Getting trapped in debris on the ground isn't much fun.
Playing in cramped tight spaces isn't much fun.
Playing in a giant map where you can't find anyone isn't much fun.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Eh, seeing some destruction on Inside Xbox + some streams of the technical test, the destruction is still impressive to me, although I still think the game is lacking graphically

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
They are basically comparing a Tech Demo to a Video Game.

I played that 2015 version myself. It was a technical marvel - but there was no video game in there. When asked about what they actually want to build, gameplaywise, with this technology, they didn't really have an answer. It seems like they didn't find that answer later, either, because it took a complete retooling of the game and developer change for it to actually get made.

These downgrade discussions are often inane and only good for showing how ignorant people are of the development process. But in this case, calling it a "Downgrade" is even sillier than it normally already is.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Too much destruction in the 2015 build, doesn't look fun to me. Sometimes less (destruction) is more (fun).

A lot of the differences are likely gameplay related.

Getting trapped in debris on the ground isn't much fun. Playing in cramped tight spaces isn't much fun.
Playing in a giant map where you can't find anyone isn't much fun.

Yup, manual aim wouldn't be fun either. Auto lock aim just works better and is more fun.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Im guessing one of two things happened:

1. They could never solve the latency<->sync issues having cloud based physical processing creates. This has always been the main problem with Cloud based processing. While you shoot a bullet locally, the bullet has to be uploaded to the server, the game engine has to be updated with the result, and beamed back down to you. This may work in a single player game (you can just artificially create lag to hide this) but once you need to sync clients across the network its just a bungled mess they could never get right (this was the main issue people were saying would happen back during the Xbox One reveal).

2. They realized they number of cloud instances they would require for the game were just too large. A $60 game with full developer time and budget that also runs on hundreds of thousands of Virtual PC's that need to be connected all the time just might have been considered too expensive ultimately, and they were told to make everything local.

Regardless, it certainly appears they removed any and all cloud based physics processing from the game (did they?).

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Just finished watching the video, there's no denying the difference between "alpha" and final build.

I'm not sure why they were unable to pull it off. And I don't understand why some of you think it wouldn't have been fun.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
Imagine trying to run away from players shooting RPGs, LASERS, and bullets at you while you spend 30-40 seconds shooting a Terry Crews-size hole in a wall to escape.

Oct 25, 2017
The effect looks cool, but is it really needed? Do you have a device that collect all that crumbles and use them to build something new?

Environments that react to you are interesting, especially since what we usually get are movie sets that don't feel the least bit real. In addition to that, the environment provides cover. Destroy the environment, and now the pressure is on to find new ways to evade while still going on the offensive.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The original vision for this game was something I was really interested in. The actual game we're getting soon looks horrendous to me.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
People are mistaking "destructible environments" in other games with
The effect looks cool, but is it really needed? Do you have a device that collect all that crumbles and use them to build something new?

What effect ? That is real time destruction.

Also the game is more than the MP. They never showed the campaign having any destruction. So calling the whole game a downgrade is a stretch.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, platform warring. Numerous accumulated infractions for similar behaviour.
I've been watching this game for at least a year, it is the reason why i made an account here on Era, but most importantly, it is the reason why i recovered my faith in Xbox ( before E3 2018).
And its kinda sad seeing this getting all the hate from Sony's community, i saw people calling it all kind of things in CD3 threads, and i've seen some Spidey boys laughing at his games graphics (i mean, seriously?) and thats not all.
While this game is not some kind of Jesus for all of us in this thread (i gotta admit), This game is a demon for Microsoft's haters, people fear this game like... like Batman, it's going to be legendary(it even appears in Xbox news all around the world, known as "The most fun game" in 2 of the most famous videogame forums in spanish) and i can understand the pressure this game has on it's shoulders.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we have had this thread 20 times in the last week. perhaps we should try to stick to one thread?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watching that video made me laugh and shake my head at the same time. Probably the biggest downgrade I've ever seen.

OP
OP
xMaximusx

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would be cool if they added that level back in, even if it was just for demoing purposes to prove it was all real and playable & things were changed for the sake of gameplay. I can understand that shooting a building for 5mins before it falls down isn't ideal for fun gameplay. But it's such a huge change, i don't know if it was all done for the sake of gameplay

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I've been watching this game for at least a year, it is the reason why i made an account here on Era, but most importantly, it is the reason why i recovered my faith in Xbox ( before E3 2018).
And its kinda sad seeing this getting all the hate from Sony's community, i saw people calling it all kind of things in CD3 threads, and i've seen some Spidey boys laughing at his games graphics (i mean, seriously?) and thats not all.
While this game is not some kind of Jesus for all of us in this thread (i gotta admit), This game is a demon for Microsoft's haters, people fear this game like... like Batman, it's going to be legendary(it even appears in Xbox news all around the world, known as "The most fun game" in 2 of the most famous videogame forums in spanish) and i can understand the pressure this game has on it's shoulders.
This is sick, hate towards Klobrille and Crackdown is really BIG here.

Status
Not open for further replies.