• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought the whole point of the cloud destruction in MP is so that everyone on any platform will share the exact same experience and world. If destruction is done using local physics then the destructed world could differ slightly for each player, which would mess everything up.

It's not just for fancy looking destruction graphics.

That said, I didn't enjoy the MP test at all. But the campaign looks a million times better.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No, nobody is trolling when they say it looks like a last gen game. The truth behind that is that you simply don't like how that sentiment sounds when a new anticipated release is on the horizon. Breath of the Wild did, The Last Guardian did. How could anyone reasonably deny that they don't? Visuals do matter, but what matters more is the execution of an idea.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Image quality hasn't been my main concern with Crackdown 3, but rather I feel like the city doesn't look exciting to explore. The game seems to be more about facilitating the action rather than facilitating exploration, which is fine, but not my thing. Agents of Mayhem got that same criticism levelled at it, so I wonder what those better informed can tell us about the world of Crackdown 3.

What exactly gives you that impression? Action vs exploration? Crackdown 1 was incredible to explore. This looks very similar in that respect.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but thats kinda my point. Because this game has been advertised as a technical showcase early on and because this game comes out in an environment where Xbox's marketing focusses a lot on power (and by extension that means visuals), because of all that the game is faced with unfair expectations towards its visuals. And in return its met with exaggerated negative statements about its visuals, because thats how things work in this day and age apparently, stuff is either great or shit.
Its an average looking game, definitely not showing any AAA production values when it comes to visuals, and thats okay. It would be a non-issue for most games.
But not for Crackdown 3...

Crackdown 3 was never touted to be a visual showcase.

It's always been a showcase for cloud computing, and it's delivered on that promise.

However you would define AAA, it's wrong. This is 100% AAA.

No, nobody is trolling when they say it looks like a last gen game. The truth behind that is that you simply don't like how that sentiment sounds when a new anticipated release is on the horizon. Breath of the Wild did, The Last Guardian did. How could anyone reasonably deny that they don't? Visuals do matter, but what matters more is the execution of an idea.

The notion that CD3 looks like a last gen game visually is nothing short of hyperbole and it's blatant why certain posters keep repeating that nonsense.

It's getting really tiring.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's got good IQ. But I would expect no less for a game that is about as detailed as agents of mayhem.

The world needs populating with more...stuff. it all feels freakishly clinical and empty.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
More and more this game makes me think of it as Saints Row 4-2

And I mean that as a genuine compliment.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
They can't literally mean what they say, because to put up a comparison shot between Crackdown 1 side by side with Crackdown 3, well that would be proof positive. The world is richer, denser, and more elaboratly arranged. This is clear to see. The volume, the luminesece, the color palate, the effects, the sparks, it harkens to the earlier games, but it is, as plain as day, vastly improved.

So when a person says "game looks last gen" what that person is really saying is that they don't like the aesthetic - the art style.
But saying i don't like art style isn't nearly as snarky as saying "looks last gen."

They are also being incredibly rude, juvenile, and insulting to what i imagine are team of hard working, you know - actual people.

Dec 25, 2018
Love Crackdown. Looking forward to renewing gamepass to try the new one, If I like it, will maybe get it permanently when buying new games is more viable for me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Looks much better than I was expecting.

Also a Destiny/Anthem like game with this gameplay loop in a shared environment could make a killing, it seems. Not sure if it'd be for me, but it would be really refreshing.

In terms of this "looking last gen," I think that's ridiculous, but it did stand out to me how desolate the open world is compared to today's open world games. But, to me, that's not the point of a Crackdown game. Crackdown is the essence of a sandbox arcade game, it's not an open world simulator in the same way that a GTAV, RDR2, or even to a lesser extent, Assassins Creed or whatever that game was from Ubi set in CHicago / SF. The aims of the game are just different.

Last edited:

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
4K and the art style doing the heavy lifting here. To me it's still graphically unimpressive but then every Crackdown has been that way. Game still gonna be fun but it was never a looker.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Crackdown 3 was never touted to be a visual showcase.

It's always been a showcase for cloud computing, and it's delivered on that promise.

However you would define AAA, it's wrong. This is 100% AAA.

The notion that CD3 looks like a last gen game visually is nothing short of hyperbole and it's blatant why certain posters keep repeating that nonsense.

It's getting really tiring
This

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Agents of Mayhem, and it really doesn't use the city at all like Crackdown 1, which CD3 is more of. Have naysayers ever dipped into the franchise before? It's more like Saints Row 4, but with the powers toned down a bit to give room for guns and vehicles. Your vehicles evolve the more you use them and gain more powers. You get Hulk jumps for collecting agility orbs, you can start to punch cars and shit for upgrading melee, skills for kills, etc. The leveling system is robust and is measured by how fluidly you're able to traverse the city, which in turn makes the city more memorable. Agents of Mayhem is kind of copy+paste and shallow in that regard. It's fun, but it's clearly focused on its hero shooting elements rather than its open world.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
What exactly gives you that impression? Action vs exploration? Crackdown 1 was incredible to explore. This looks very similar in that respect.
It's got good IQ. But I would expect no less for a game that is about as detailed as agents of mayhem.

The world needs populating with more...stuff. it all feels freakishly clinical and empty.

This. It's very hard to make a city look lived in, but Crackdown doesn't look like it's even trying.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The same goes for crackdown. It's nowhere near the first footage and it's impossible to destroy the whole building, foundation can't be destroyed.

Memory Refresh

https://youtu.be/EWANLy9TjRc
Reality check:
"The destruction is pretty fantastic:

This. It's very hard to make a city look lived in, but Crackdown doesn't look like it's even trying.
That's not really the intention. The world is meant to be a playground, not a immersive simulation.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So you think it looks like a 360 game?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Reminds me a bit of Sunset Overdrive with those sharp, vibrant colors and futuristic feel. Looks good.

That's precisely it, and from what I've seen, it's also filled with cool street art, just like sunset Overdrive. Some of the concept artists that worked on the look of Crackdown 3 also worked on things like Ghost in the Shell film, and Gravity Rush 2, and it's not hard to see that influence as well.

You mean how in the previous games enemies would get thrown backwards more when you punched and kicked them? That definitely seems toned down compared to that. The game is crazy, so I would like for baddies to start flying when I kick them.

That was always dependent on the strength stat. I don't think we've seen any gameplay footage of a maxed out Agent yet, even the journalists at the recent preview event apparently didn't play with maxed out Agents.

Small detail - have we seen any impact damage from an agent falling in any of the trailers or footage? In the first game when an agent lands from a high fall there is a very satisfying impact crunch on the floor and a texture alpha swap.

Again a thing that was dependent on the strength stat, and the body mass of an Agent. Although we did see Agent falling from way up high and taking damage upon landing in one of the recent gameplay videos.

In terms of this "looking last gen," I think that's ridiculous, but it did stand out to me how desolate the open world is compared to today's open world games. But, to me, that's not the point of a Crackdown game. Crackdown is the essence of a sandbox arcade game, it's not an open world simulator in the same way that a GTAV, RDR2, or even to a lesser extent, Assassins Creed or whatever that game was from Ubi set in CHicago / SF. The aims of the game are just different.

That's spot on, the world is more abstract on purpose, it always has been. At its core Crackdown is in a large part a platformer, and one where fun, compelling platforming takes precedence over grounded realism. Hence all the simplified geometry and the less realistic urban design that's supposed to facilitate fluidity of movement without sacrificing player involvement. In a way it's like Mirror's Edge, not quite reaching the abstraction levels of the first game's DLC courses, but not far from the clinical look of the main campaign's environments.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I still don't understand why they are touting the cloud. All of those physics can be done on any current gen consoles without the need for online connectivity.

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
08.02.2019_20-09-03-aw6kol.jpg

08.02.2019_20-10-24-vmxkr4.jpg

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I still don't understand why they are touting the cloud. All of those physics can be done on any current gen consoles without the need for online connectivity.

How do we know this? According to Microsoft the compute power that's available for the destruction is equal to twelve Xbox One's.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
How do we know this? According to Microsoft the compute power that's available for the destruction is equal to twelve Xbox One's.

Just based on how unimpressive the destruction is. The demo shown during the reveal was 10x more impressive and you'd think 5 years later the destruction would have gotten better, not demonstratively worse. Look at the gif on the last page. I assume some sort of explosion caused the collapse but everything is falling straight down perfectly. Not impressive to me at all, especially compared to the old demo.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Just based on how unimpressive the destruction is. The demo shown during the reveal was 10x more impressive and you'd think 5 years later the destruction would have gotten better, not demonstratively worse. Look at the gif on the last page. I assume some sort of explosion caused the collapse but everything is falling straight down perfectly. Not impressive to me at all, especially compared to the old demo.

You should try the test on sunday. The destruction is really impressive when you are playing.

It isn't as impressive as the tech demo at Gamescom (the developers even said, at that time, it won't be like that in-game) because you have to make a game out of it. Having that detail of destruction in a multiplayer game would require computing power that doesn't make any sense. It would increase the cost, the server load and it would add nothing to the gameplay.

And everything falling down perfectly.. like gravity? ;)

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Looks quite fun but I wouldn't say it looks good. Looks clean indeed. It's a matter of opinions I guess because I don't really like the art style personally.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
You should try the test on sunday. The destruction is really impressive when you are playing.

It isn't as impressive as the tech demo at Gamescom (the developers even said, at that time, it won't be like that in-game) because you have to make a game out of it. Having that detail of destruction in a multiplayer game would require computing power that doesn't make any sense. It would increase the cost, the server load and it would add nothing to the gameplay.

And everything falling down perfectly.. like gravity? ;)

When it comes to MP you're probably right but I just meant my reaction to just seeing it in general. I guess to get lots of people to see the exact same destruction scenario it makes things a bit more complicated. That being said destruction has never been a selling point for me. It's always been a 'oh thats neat that it has that' type of bullet point (like Just Cause). And as far as the gravity remark. I think in an 'explosion' like that you would see the debris going different directions and having a sort of domino effect.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
When it comes to MP you're probably right but I just meant my reaction to just seeing it in general. I guess to get lots of people to see the exact same destruction scenario it makes things a bit more complicated. That being said destruction has never been a selling point for me. It's always been a 'oh thats neat that it has that' type of bullet point (like Just Cause).

We are talking about MP right? There is no destruction (not via the cloud, that is) in the singleplayer.