• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Always intresting to see when we last time really saw a trailer of a game and then year later to see the difference.
Dont think its the best looking game out there. Dont think cell shaded ever will but it for sure improved quite alot.

2017 vs 2018

cd38ak1n.png

cd3elqkb7.png

2017 vs 2018

cd3rukrj.png

cduxjwh.png

2017 vs 2018

cd3gpk09.png

cd3askke9.png

2017 vs 2018

cd3do1jxg.png

cd3c2hjky.png

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be improved, both in terms of actual graphics and colours. Of course, it's edited footage in both cases, so we'll see how the game will actually be. The first Crackdown or the Saints Row games weren't exactly graphics powerhouses either, but they were glorious fun, which is what I want from this game. If it looks great while doing so, awesome. If not, I'll take it anyway as long as it's as fun as the first Crackdown.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aside from the player model (and reduced self illumination on orbs, but that could be because of TOD) I don't see a difference. I just watched the 2017 trailer again and it's incredible how similar they look. The one thing this game really needs is what it won't get, 60 fps.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I love the look of the cyberpunk ish city. Plus the toon style ensures it should still look great for years to come. My only worry is i did not like the tone of the E3 2018 trailer.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Aside from the player model (and reduced self illumination on orbs, but that could be because of TOD) I don't see a difference. I just watched the 2017 trailer again and it's incredible how similar they look. The one thing this game really needs is what it won't get, 60 fps.

Let's hope it has a decent steady 30fps first. I still haven't forgotten the spikes in the 2017 trailer.
The 2018 version looked a lot better in all aspects.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it does look better. Loved Phil's comment about this, he said "it didnt feel quite right" so it was delayed to give them more time to get it right (and avoid jam packed holiday period).

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
Do people really expect much tho with cell shaded, I never expected something crazy. It's not the best looker but it should be some good fun. I respect different art styles.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I was impressed by how it looked when seeing the trailer, now even more so seeing the comparison shots. It's a noticeable improvement.

I'm just interested to see more of the actual gameplay and see if things have improved there though. February is looking busy though!

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to February and bouning around the world hunting down orbs, though I'm hoping we get some sort of open beta over the next couple of months - think the game and us could use it!

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Looks better, for sure.
But as the next big Xbox exclusive they want to turn into a million seller IP and pitch against PlayStation exclusives, it should look bloody spectacular.
Like, Spiderman level spectacular.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You know...the fact that stills show such an obvious improvement just shows how important a role animation makes to a game.

Because the jarring animations made me think the game had barely improved visually.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You know...the fact that stills show such an obvious improvement just shows how important a role animation makes to a game.

Because the jarring animations made me think the game had barely improved visually.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Plenty of clips out there that show the player character still ice-skating around surfaces with janky two-frame animations for jumping, climbing and throwing.
The IQ is the last of this game's issues, in my opinion.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I think the objects close up do look better but I think it still needs work.

I get the look Crackdown is going for but I would like the textures not to look so "flat" and have a bit more detail added.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Plenty of clips out there that show the player character still ice-skating around surfaces with janky two-frame animations for jumping, climbing and throwing.

Brilliant animations can really mask a games visual shortcomings so I feel Sumo maybe should have chosen focusing on that in my opinion. Because all the increased fidelity in the world is kinda of wasted when held back by janky animations. Obviously combining the two is the ideal outcome, but for me personally, I'd prefer high quality animations over Ps/textures etc.

The fact that this game appears to be a 30fps title even on X just kind of lets me down even more.

Particularly given Forza Horizon 4's 1080/60 mode on Xbox One X.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks amazing, art-direction wise.
It's pretty weird noticing very few people have an eye for art-direction.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant animations can really mask a games visual shortcomings so I feel Sumo maybe should have chosen focusing on that in my opinion. Because all the increased fidelity in the world is kinda of wasted when held back by janky animations. Obviously combining the two is the ideal outcome, but for me personally, I'd prefer high quality animations over Ps/textures etc.

The fact that this game appears to be a 30fps title even on X just kind of lets me down even more.

Particularly given Forza Horizon 4's 1080/60 mode on Xbox One X.

Well its 4k and 30 offcourse. And we dont know how good the 60fps mode in Horizon is gonna be.
Btw Phil said during Giantbomb that he didnt like "how the agent moved still" and was one of the reason to delay it. Next to the busy Fall.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
It definitely looks better overall, closer to the CG trailer we got when they originally announced it. The only issue comparing this years and last years trailers, are the locations they take place in. Last year was in set in a dingy area, similar to original CD's Volk area, and this year it was set in an area similar to Shai-Gen, which was a futuristic, high tech area meant to look cool. Sumo have said they are making the different areas in a similar fashion.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
I bet they had to go back to the drawing board when they were making Terry Crews the main character. That probably delayed a bunch of stuff.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
The colour scheme makes it look so much like Saints row now.

I'd rather see activities/story trailers than more explosions.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There's a trade off with animations and controls though.

I'd much rather have immediately responsive controls with janky two frame animations than high quality multiple frame animations which impact the controls.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's hard to tell if the visuals are better or not with completely different times of day on show not to mention different regions of the map. but terry cruise certainly looks better than the other guy.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Curious to see how close to this they can get:

3024858-1.gif
While the destructible environment thing is multiplayer only, it worries me we haven't seen it in so many years. Hopefully, it's all still in there and badass looking. I'm hoping for a multiplayer horde mode style game mode in a blocked in city arena and you can tumble buildings and fight through that wreckage. All the single player stuff we've seen the last few years doesn't have any of the destruction so sp and co-op will play similarly to the other 2 games in the series.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a cool thread, thank you. I would like to see some new gameplay videos myself. I'm really curious how this stacks up from their original plans to now.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Looks like an improvement from last year, but I was hoping to see some new gameplay videos?

Was this game not playable on the E3 floor this year?

Sturm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me the game seems to me of the previous generation if we compare it with the technical beasts that have been seen in other games in this E3.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I feel like this art style is really going to come to life in HDR and 4K. Especially in the footage where we see more of the city, there are strong Ghost in the Shell / Blade Runner city vibes, albeit with a cel-shaded take.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll benefit from more time in the oven, it definitely looks some degree better than before.