• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The car skidding noise is annoying as hell. I hear it constantly as pretty much the only ambience in the game.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Just did the first section of the campaign. I'm done lol. Maybe I should give the MP a whirl before dropping forever.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to trying this in a few minutes. Not expecting wonder, but I hope it's fun.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
One thing lead to another...and I have collected 70 orbs...

Certain spots look a bit low budget, but overall very crackdown for sure

To be clear, this on pc in 4k is pretty decent. Anyone saying last gen is just blind.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing multiplayer. It might not be for me. The destruction is cool, but the gameplay just feels kind of average and outdated. Also, people seem to leave games a lot which makes them take longer than they normally would. I'll keep playing and see if I start to like it more. I'll start the campaign on co-op this weekend.

Mireille

Oct 26, 2017
The game will scale with who is hosting the game. So if you joined them it would run on Xbox One settings.
Traffic density in co-op play is determined by the lowest spec machine, so if your friend is playing on the base console you will notice the same reduction and might see some additional oddities as well. This is in place to prevent a dsync between the two platforms.

I see, should be that then as my friend was the host and he was playing on base xbox one, while I can see them lowering traffic density/framerate to prevent desync it was kinda odd for graphics itself to run on console settings, but should be a normal thing then I guess

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Where are the new ideas and gameplay mechanics? Over 10 years on from Crackdown and all they added was a booster back and roll button? Feels like I'm playing a HD remaster of the original!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are the new ideas and gameplay mechanics? Over 10 years on from Crackdown and all they added was a booster back and roll button? Feels like I'm playing a HD remaster of the original!

To each their own. I played Crackdown 1 as recently as last week to get the mood for Crackdown 3. It's still fun. It definitely isn't a groundbreaking sequel in many ways, but it's undeniably Crackdown.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
To each their own. I played Crackdown 1 as recently as last week to get the mood for Crackdown 3. It's still fun. It definitely isn't a groundbreaking sequel in many ways, but it's undeniably Crackdown.
It's far too similar to the original for my taste, there's nothing new here other than than a new coat of paint.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It's far too similar to the original for my taste, there's nothing new here other than than a new coat of paint.
That can be said about many game series.
Play Dark Souls 3 and then Dark Souls 1.Play Gears 4 and then Gears 1. Play Uncharted 4 and then Uncharted 1. Other than presentation, the core did not change all that much.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm having fun with it. The platforming and movement feels great, and I actually quite like how the game looks. I can see where the complaints are coming from though. I can see the objectives getting repetitive. Still, it does seem like it will make for a great sandbox. Playing as Terry Crews is just the best.

As an addition to gamepass, I think it's pretty great. Not sure I would recommend it at full price however. At its core, it has that fun gameplay that made me love the first Crackdown. It maybe hasn't evolved too much past that, but if you're just looking for some arcadey fun, Crackdown 3 is a nice change of pace from other open world games.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

Is it really that hard for people to notice the differences?

Off the top of my head

- Numerous new Weapon classes (plasma, poison, arc)
- Numerous new grenades and grenade classes (poison, arc)
- Revamped upgrade system, where each class unlocks 5-6 new skills, most are completely new to the franchise (stomp, gravity grenades, self destruct car, launch from car etc)
- A multitide of new enemy classes (robots, actual well designed bosses/mechs instead of damage sponge regula enemies)
- A bunch if new platforming mechanics
- Revamped map screen with mission objectives
- Revamped and more interesting objectives
- Revamped weapon, ammo, and explosive collection system
- Great new Agency vehicles (Nimble new car with sideswipe, spider car that scales walls, tank)
- Incredibly unique new MP versus mode with cloud-based destruction
- Evolved movenent system with triple jumps, dashes, and wall scurrying
- Actual cut-scene and story integration

There are a ton of new ideas and improvements to the game. Best of all, the additions only add to the gameplay, and never impede on Crackdown's freeform, ad-hoc style.

In truth, this is the sequel we deserved like 8 years ago, and mechanically, it does feel 8 years old, but I'm just glad it's here. It's everything I hoped for in a Crackdown sequel, and I've been hooked all day. The game is just a lot of fun.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
And from what I can tell, there's no wingsuit or helicopter? No evolving agents or vehicles as you level up?

Waiting 8 years for some new weapon types and enemies is pretty shit.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So it seems that the PC version gets locked at 30 fps when playing campaign co-op.
Just... why.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just played about the initial 4 hours of campaign. It's incredibly hard to put down. It's really excellent.

I really like the hard points.

Xbox one x pic of my man Terry.
hliJpFB.jpg

And funny glitch that got me killed. I like to throw things and I got stuck af:

https://xboxclips.com/NH Apache/ba2d8d8d-0fe6-49f7-802d-270f5ade15f7

Anyways, definitely more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
And from what I can tell, there's no wingsuit or helicopter? No evolving agents or vehicles as you level up?

That can't be right. You pick up orbs and get stronger in terms of how you look and physically too, right? There's no reason for this not to be in.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017

You unlock different vehicle forms as you level up. You start with the Lightning, then get the Spider then the Annihilator (iirc). They're modes you switch your vehicle into, and it then transforms into that type. It's different to how CD1 handled vehicles.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Seems like a blast from what I've played so far. The HDR is superb at night, love all the neon. Feels like a pretty natural progression of Crackdown 1 to me, I'm completely down for fun mindless games that don't set the world on fire.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I seem to remember my agent in Crackdown 1 physically changing while levelling up. But yeah, that doesn't seem to happen in this game. Unless it just happens once at the end

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
finally cinched the "get a kill with all weapons" achievement in wrecking zone and... it didnt pop. annoying af

hopefully itll pop randomly midgame like the one for winning a match did

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The thing which sets this game apart from the first is the world design.

It really is fantastic.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
That can be said about many game series.
Play Dark Souls 3 and then Dark Souls 1.Play Gears 4 and then Gears 1. Play Uncharted 4 and then Uncharted 1. Other than presentation, the core did not change all that much.
I mean, I replayed the gears series recently. There is a lot of evolution between 1 and 4, in the movement, the controls, the weapons and gunplay, pretty much everything other than being a cover based shooter. You definitely notice the difference.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Played around 3 hours and I think most of the reviews are spot on. The moment to moment gameplay is enjoyable and addicting but once you've unlocked most of the weapons and vehicles there isn't much more to see. The game is littered with the same objectives throughout the map almost as incessantly as Spider-Man was. I guess at least this is more fun but there's no interesting narrative holding it all together. It's not a bad game by any means, it's just ok. It really plays like a slightly refined version of the original, but it's only come so far in a medium that has upped what is expected from open world sandboxes. Crackdown 3 kinda feels like a relic.

And holy fuck I don't remember the climbing being this bad. It's like the amount of grippable surfaces has been scaled down and now we're left with this weird sliding animation. And there's been plenty of times where something I KNOW I would have been able to grab in 1 or 2 wouldn't let me grab onto it.

I find it a little ridiculous that this game is only a few points ahead of an actual pile of dogshit like Fallout 76. It just seems like reviewers actually gave Crackdown what it deserved mostly, while they were very lenient on Fallout.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I mean, I replayed the gears series recently. There is a lot of evolution between 1 and 4, in the movement, the controls, the weapons and gunplay, pretty much everything other than being a cover based shooter. You definitely notice the difference.
well, I can tell you that Gears 4 has been accused of barely evolve from the original trilogy A LOT. By the way you are right, Gears have changed conveniently. Maybe crackdown 3 haven't change enough, but I can see changes and evolution to better in the game. More guns, more agents, enemies greatly improved, bosses, bigger map... I agree that maybe it's not enough, but Sumo definitely tried to refine the formula.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, I can tell you that Gears 4 has been accused of barely evolve from the original trilogy A LOT. By the way you are right, Gears have changed conveniently. Maybe crackdown 3 haven't change enough, but I can see changes and evolution to better in the game. More guns, more agents, enemies greatly improved, bosses, bigger map... I agree that maybe it's not enough, but Sumo definitely tried to refine the formula.
Gears 4 was deliberately safe, the team didn't want it any other way, so I'd say they're pleased people felt this way, but they're going to reinvent Gears with 5, so we'll get alot of gamers saying it's "not Gears" anymore, and that's fine it's not supposed to be a retread.

But with CD3 its built upon an already average foundation (imo) as opposed to the excellent foundation Gears is built on. So a simple refinement rather then evolution isn't going to help the franchise or boost its quality. From what I played the reviews feel accurate.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Gears 4 was deliberately safe, the team didn't want it any other way, so I'd say they're pleased people felt this way, but they're going to reinvent Gears with 5, so we'll get alot of gamers saying it's "not Gears" anymore, and that's fine it's not supposed to be a retread.

But with CD3 its built upon an already average foundation (imo) as opposed to the excellent foundation Gears is built on. So a simple refinement rather then evolution isn't going to help the franchise or boost its quality. From what I played the reviews feel accurate.
Yeah, I think that the main issue is that Crackdown never was a game for everybody, and probably that formula is farther from the actual trends in videogames than when the og crackdown was released. I still think that if you loved Crackdown and all you want is the same but better, Crackdown 3 is absolutely delightful.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

The best byproduct of Gears 4's "safe" design is it resulted in the best playing, best balanced, most polished and complete version of Gears MP in the series. As someone who loves Gears MP a little more than SP, 4 was extremely satisfying.

Loot boxes nonwithstanding.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think that the main issue is that Crackdown never was a game for everybody, and probably that formula is farther from the actual trends in videogames than when the og crackdown was released. I still think that if you loved Crackdown and all you want is the same but better, Crackdown 3 is absolutely delightful.

But that also gives Crackdown its own niche to work out. Make it self-contained, double-to-triple-A experiences that don't compete with the likes of RDR2 or Spider-Man. Perhaps even sell them for 40 bucks instead of 60, plus the obvious Game Pass inclusion. Go full on crazy with the traversal, add like 500 orbs and then when you do those unlock 2000 master orbs or something. Launch weird ass ideas in it, a bit like Saints Row which started having dildo bats, dubstep guns and whatnot. It can have its own public but the games have to have the right budget and intentions from the getgo. Crackdown 3 could be a 10/10 game and it still wouldn't sell like hotcakes, because it's not the kind of game that does. That is fine. Microsoft can still have it around as a franchise working on its own smaller budget and crazy ideas.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok just played 4 hours straight and this game is awesome! Straight up fun, great weapons, movement and all out action!
Haven't really played much of the series till now so it feels fresh. Easily a 80+ from me, more fin than most action games as you actually have a lot of freedom and isn't restricted to arenas or a 2d plane.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yo..... The Spider vehicle is a game changer! I can already see the hours of crazy stunts to pull off, I'm surprised it feels as good as it does. It's like Spider-Man on these walls lol.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Yo..... The Spider vehicle is a game changer! I can already see the hours of crazy stunts to pull off, I'm surprised it feels as good as it does. It's like Spider-Man on these walls lol.
Were you one of those Crackdown 1 players who maxed out driving and found ways to flip cars into boss arenas? I always figured those players were big Halo fans.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Were you one of those Crackdown 1 players who maxed out driving and found ways to flip cars into boss arenas? I always figured those players were big Halo fans.
Yeah, I have an affinity for fun physics, so good thing Crackdown's tools offer plenty of variety. And lol, the amount of time I spent gathering grenades in Halo 1 to flip Hogs.... Great memories :]

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I was able to play about 6 hours of the campaign and got pretty far. I finished the industry and logistics divisions, but i have yet to do most of the enforcement stuff and also i haven't done many races. The game overall feels amazing. Far from GOTY material, but definitely a blast so far.

I did reach strength lvl 5 and the others were in mid level 4. Driving however was still lvl 3.

DisloyalDefensiveArachnid-size_restricted.gif

MealyUnlawfulInexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

FailingVibrantDassie-size_restricted.gif

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put around two hours in it. I think I'm going to restart and play the highest difficulty since there's an achievement for that. Loving it so far!

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it really that hard for people to notice the differences?

Off the top of my head

- Numerous new Weapon classes (plasma, poison, arc)
- Numerous new grenades and grenade classes (poison, arc)
- Revamped upgrade system, where each class unlocks 5-6 new skills, most are completely new to the franchise (stomp, gravity grenades, self destruct car, launch from car etc)
- A multitide of new enemy classes (robots, actual well designed bosses/mechs instead of damage sponge regula enemies)
- A bunch if new platforming mechanics
- Revamped map screen with mission objectives
- Revamped and more interesting objectives
- Revamped weapon, ammo, and explosive collection system
- Great new Agency vehicles (Nimble new car with sideswipe, spider car that scales walls, tank)
- Incredibly unique new MP versus mode with cloud-based destruction
- Evolved movenent system with triple jumps, dashes, and wall scurrying
- Actual cut-scene and story integration

There are a ton of new ideas and improvements to the game. Best of all, the additions only add to the gameplay, and never impede on Crackdown's freeform, ad-hoc style.

In truth, this is the sequel we deserved like 8 years ago, and mechanically, it does feel 8 years old, but I'm just glad it's here. It's everything I hoped for in a Crackdown sequel, and I've been hooked all day. The game is just a lot of fun.

My man! I'm so hyped. I need to get home so I can start playing.