• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Are there actual story missions or does the game consist of just clearing out each bosses facilities throughout the map?

It's all about taking out targets however you see fit. Many objectives don't even require you to clear out a facility- you just have to blow something up or kill someone specific.

Has there been a post-mortem on this game yet? I'm fascinated by why it took soo long to come out. What's the deal?

I'm having a ton of fun but this just feels like the 360 games in 4k.

Its took long because the tech powering the MP is first of its kind. It was tough getting it to work in the first place, then tough again to build a MP game around it.

The single player has actually been done for a while.

Plum

May 31, 2018
One virtue of this game is, weirdly enough, that it doesn't have an insane amount of content.

With many other open world titles there is just so much content that takes so long to complete that, more often than not, I find myself burning out before I even reach the halfway point. AC: Odyssey, for example, is a game that I might come back to eventually but it's also one where I couldn't bring myself to continue playing after 20 hours; I sold it and haven't really looked back. In Crackdown 3 there is definitely a smaller amount of content than most other open world games but what content is there allows you to get to the 'fun parts' relatively quickly whilst not overstaying its welcome. You're not stuck doing the same thing over and over again for tens of hours simply so you can make some meaningful story progress.

There's also not an insane amount of content when it comes to systems. There's no levelling system that demands choice; there's no crafting system that demands you optimise your resource collection; there's no hybrid stealth/combat system that makes 'combat' feel like a failure state instead of a 'fun' state. It's a very simple game and I can definitely appreciate that.

Oct 26, 2017
Not yet, but I really want to!

Looking forward to your impressions, and I hope it's on game pass and I didn't make you spend money >_<
SO is super rad, sick character create/customization too.

Anyway, started on legendary, beat the first boss, gimmie some feedback. I want to be jumping around, but I just get torn to shreds, so i found basically staying inbetween these covers to avoid the fire from the trash mobs work best. Am I missing something here? Feels like i'm missing a crucial air dash to close the gap or something, and er whats the point in throwing people xD

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Oh come on. Odyssey is in a different stratosphere of design, control and variety. Not to mention creativity. CD3 suffers from the same open world bloat as most games in the genre, with checklist objectives.

I dont agree. Crackdown has more variety in what you can do, more weapons, you can drive cars, use explosives, melee attacks as well as platforming. Depends on your preference. It also controls superbly, though I am playing on PC at 60 fps.

Its more a preference thing. Odyssey would appeal to a wider audience though, crackdown is more complex to play. I consider crackdown superior in gameplay but thats a personal thing. I still like odyssey and do not consider it over rated like i do RDR2.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
This game is awesome. I think the only thing I'm missing are the more open areas from the first two games. The mountains, beaches, etc...

7.5 hours in. 235 orbs collected. Still have a ton to do in the game.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Anyway, started on legendary, beat the first boss, gimmie some feedback. I want to be jumping around, but I just get torn to shreds, so i found basically staying inbetween these covers to avoid the fire from the trash mobs work best. Am I missing something here? Feels like i'm missing a crucial air dash to close the gap or something, and er whats the point in throwing people xD

You should never be looking for cover when you're at low health in Crackdown 3, you should be looking for ways to collect orbs. Targeting the heads of mobs for quick kills is the best way at early levels. I've even used agility and hidden orbs as a tool to turn gunfights around.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Confirmed

You should never be looking for cover when you're at low health in Crackdown 3, you should be looking for ways to collect orbs. Targeting the heads of mobs for quick kills is the best way at early levels. I've even used agility and hidden orbs as a tool to turn gunfights around.

Yeah its like Doom in that regard. Its very satisfying using melee attacks and sending weaker enemies flying - you can cover ground quickly using the roll.

Oct 26, 2017
Its more like i'm in between cover to not take damage in the first place, killing them to get orbs seemed like a waste of time considering i could just shoot the boss to death.
Cover seems to be necessary to reload aswell, since strangely you cant roll+reload

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spent about an hour with the solo campaign on X and can't stand it.

Feels like a last gen or older title. Horrible animation, clunky gunplay and average graphics.

Really glad I didn't pay for this.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Its more like i'm in between cover to not take damage in the first place, killing them to get orbs seemed like a waste of time considering i could just shoot the boss to death.
Cover seems to be necessary to reload aswell, since strangely you cant roll+reload
Roll at the Right time to dodge his gun. If he hits you with it off go your shields and the little guys will chip you. If you dodge his gun, your shields will stay intact against the cannon fodder he's surrounded with. Took me a few tries before i caught on. I'm playing on Legendary too.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's a step up from the 8 month rush job that hampered the second game.

How bad could that original version have been that Microsoft had to throw it away and double down on basically remaking the first game in a new city

I think the issue was they were trying to make good on the promises they made about the cloud so they tried to build a game around that and it turned out that a) the technology just wasn't their to deliver what they were doing to mass market at a reasonable cost and b) what they were building with the cloud destruction really wasn't enough to build an entire 60$ game around.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been able to stop playing this game since I started las night. The world, soundtrack, traversal and combat are so damn good. For people that say this plays like a last gen game, what does that even mean? This game plays like crackdown, just like uncharted 4 plays like uncharted 1. I hope Microsoft gives the green light on crackdown 4 as sumo did a damn good job with this game.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have ever been more wrong about a game.

None of the pre-release footage or coverage ever impressed me. When reviews were largely lukewarm and negative, I wasn't surprised - they only confirmed what I'd feared and expected, I thought.

I bought Metro Exodus and Far Cry: New Dawn, and figured I'd try Crackdown 3 on Gamepass, just to see if they managed to capture any of the fun of the original game.

So far I've played about an hour of Far Cry, two hours of Metro... and over 6 hours of Crackdown 3. I can't stop playing - it's far better than I ever expected, and far better than most reviews would have me believe. I had nothing but doubt and low expectations going in, but I am just loving it.

Feels so good to have been so wrong. I'll be buying this for sure to show support for Sumo and MS - I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Crackdown 3 turned out great.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017

Well remember you wont always have cover so its a very useful skill to get used to (finding weak enemies and punching them to save ammo/reload)

Its worth trying to level yourself up in all combat categories. Melee is so much fun and uses no ammo and gives you ground pound so you can damage enemies but also survive long falls. Level explosives as they can do insane damage inflicting status effects and affecting a wide area.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I dont agree. Crackdown has more variety in what you can do, more weapons, you can drive cars, use explosives, melee attacks as well as platforming. Depends on your preference. It also controls superbly, though I am playing on PC at 60 fps.

Its more a preference thing. Odyssey would appeal to a wider audience though, crackdown is more complex to play. I consider crackdown superior in gameplay but thats a personal thing. I still like odyssey and do not consider it over rated like i do RDR2.

If you're trying to form a move-list, the hat gives you more variety than all of your weapons - especially when most weapons serve the same niche as other weapons. I get what you're trying to say, but it's just categorically false to suggest parity. Even during jumps you get more options in Odyssey. The games play differently and offer different things to do; I'd leave it at that. Just seems like a strange idea to introduce Odyssey to the conversation. I'm playing on PC too and have completed 2/5 or 1/2 of the map. It controls well, for sure, but even if we're comparing that, not nearly as good.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
If you're trying to form a move-list, the hat gives you more variety than all of your weapons. I get what you're trying to say, but it's just categorically false to suggest parity. Even during jumps you get more options in Odyssey. The games play differently and offer different things to do; I'd leave it at that. I'm playing on PC too and have completed 2/5 or 1/2 of the map. It controls well, for sure, but even if we're comparing that, not nearly as good.

I never suggested parity, I said I liked odyssey and had no issue with the sky high review scores. You said "different stratosphere" and I think its a matter of preference, I like RPG's for example like borderlands 2 so I am naturally inclined to prefer a game like Crackdown 3.

I certainly wouldnt expect crackdown 3 scores to be anywhere near odyssey just think its under rated.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I have ever been more wrong about a game.

None of the pre-release footage or coverage ever impressed me. When reviews were largely lukewarm and negative, I wasn't surprised - they only confirmed what I'd feared and expected, I thought.

I bought Metro Exodus and Far Cry: New Dawn, and figured I'd try Crackdown 3 on Gamepass, just to see if they managed to capture any of the fun of the original game.

So far I've played about an hour of Far Cry, two hours of Metro... and over 6 hours of Crackdown 3. I can't stop playing - it's far better than I ever expected, and far better than most reviews would have me believe. I had nothing but doubt and low expectations going in, but I am just loving it.

Feels so good to have been so wrong. I'll be buying this for sure to show support for Sumo and MS - I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Crackdown 3 turned out great.

That was me too. I love this game. The difference I think is whether you played crackdown 1 back in the day or not. Games are far far different today so those who arent used to the addictive mechanic of exploring to get all the agility orbs and leveling up the abilities and are used to just doing missions objectives (usually with a strong story and cut scenes etc) will not "get" the game at all.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I never suggested parity, I said I liked odyssey and had no issue with the sky high review scores. You said "different stratosphere" and I think its a matter of preference, I like RPG's for example like borderlands 2 so I am naturally inclined to prefer a game like Crackdown 3.

I certainly wouldnt expect crackdown 3 scores to be anywhere near odyssey just think its under rated.

I like Borderlands 2 too. Played it non-stop when it came out and hit 60+ hours. I just think that Odyssey's design is some of the best you can get in its respective genre while CD3 is pretty good but could be a lot better, particularly when designing its checklist quests and car physics, but it has other issues too. I really enjoy the game too and I think that reviewers were too harsh as well. I can see where they were coming from, but it seems extra harsh - like they're making an example out of this one for no real reason.

Honestly, it's probably just getting flak for not following current AAA trends in terms of narrative and animations. I expect CD3 will end up on a lot of "Hidden Gems" lists for this gen in 10 years or so.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I like Borderlands 2 too. Played it non-stop when it came out and hit 60+ hours. I just think that Odyssey's design is some of the best you can get in its respective genre while CD3 is pretty good but could be a lot better, particularly when designing its checklist quests and car physics, but it has other issues too. I really enjoy the game too and I think that reviewers were too harsh as well. I can see where they were coming from, but it seems extra harsh - like they're making an example out of this one for no real reason.

Yeah I agree with all this

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Those lockdowns get intense! I have something recorded that is uploading. It's just pure chaos! This is easily the most fun I've had in a game in years.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Finished the campaign today. Only have a handful of races and orbs (SO MANY ORBS) left. Dont know if ill go back since there is so many games I want to play but if I dont I end Crackdown 3 with satisfaction and feeling good about it.

Not a lot of games make me go "one more misson" every time at 2am lol

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the campaign today. Only have a handful of races and orbs (SO MANY ORBS) left. Dont know if ill go back since there is so many games I want to play but if I dont I end Crackdown 3 with satisfaction and feeling good about it.

Not a lot of games make me go "one more misson" every time at 2am lol

Did you play Saints Row IV? Its low budget and quite a few years old but it has very similar gameplay in the core open world. You also get some awesome powers, its very over the top and fun

Also Agents of Mayhem has a similar visual style and a few things in common with crackdown and I believe its on game pass for xbox. I enjoyed the game a lot when it came out despite some significant issues, but it was mostly ignored.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'm digging this so much, I played 30 extra minutes after I told myself I was stopping to go to bed. One more orb. One more mission.

I really appreciate the simplicity of things. It's a really nice change of pace.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017

It gets way easier after the first boss. I'm playing on Insane. Your arsenal will get bigger and better, and you'll end up constantly under fire, but able to kill enemies at the same time and regen health and shields by doing so. The first boss doesn't really demonstrate how the game is going to play.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Got all my skills to Lvl 5, did all the side-missions and cleared up all the lieutenants. (After beating the final boss first by accident, lulz!) This is the second game this year that I've vehemently disagreed with the media on (First being NMH: Travis Strikes Again). The general movement and feel is something that Crackdown still currently has to all to itself to this day, sure you've got Spiderman with his web-slinging and the Arkham games with grapple hooks and gliding, but the satisfaction of just being able to leap 30 feet into the air and clearing crazy distances using multiple air dashes and triple jumps is something this game has going for it that those other games haven't. Add in being able to drive up fucking buildings in a car and you got some crazy shit at your disposal! The side-mission stuff in this game isn't too over the top either which made doing it all an actual enjoyable experience. All the different types of side-missions are sensible in quantity too (Between 5-12 each) so rampaging around and doing them all didn't feel like a chore like most bloated open world games. (Even Spiderman and the Arkham games are guilty of massive bloat imo). Just a shame that the driving is pretty underwhelming, something which was a problem in the previous 2 games, and the general visual quality is hit or miss depending on the time of day or what area you're exploring.

Overall I had a really bloody good time with the game! Leagues above the shitheap that was Crackdown 2 and miles ahead of the original too. A solid 78-80% rating from me!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Quack, quack, motherducker!

47067094212_3d93544e50_c.jpg
[/url]

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Anyone had the issue of a force field not disabling? I've pulled the plug on the power generator at one of the vehicle lockups but the cable that goes to the force field still glows blue and the field is active...

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I played for a few minutes, like 20. The presentation is really good, the gameplay seems really polished.
It is hard to imagine this being a 60/100 game given that it is so polished. Usually a game that range would have all sorts of glitches and just look bad. That said I haven't played much yet.
Its possible that the game is just not fun, but so far exploring the city and collecting is fun enough in itself, I'm sure it will get old after I have most weapons and a lot of orbs maybe.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
on the 2nd to last boss, completed pretty much every side objective, and wow I really wound up loving this game. Seriously have to disagree with the mainstream reviews, I think this will be a cult favorite among those who played it. The controls/movement/platforming is amazing. The Pantheon (center of the city) with the tall buildings is impressive af. Complex platforming puzzles leading to the boss fights are hectic and crazy fun. Propaganda towers are challenging and always make my hands sweat lol. And I gotta say the art-style is beautiful, the city might be one of if not the best looking/designed cities in any game. Neon lights with twisting monorail tracks winding above and around buildings. And the Pantheon has such a crazy feeling of massive scale. This is definitely the best version of what it could be as a crackdown game. Even the repetitive side objectives are kinda nice since there's no bloat BS. And the story/characters, while nothing special, are charming. Def feels like a playable comic book. I think this was really the kind of game I wanted/needed right now.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Was looking over at my neighbours house and the urge came to want to jump over it, maybe cling to the side a bit before i do the top jump.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Started a CO op campaign with buddy. Selected an agent, and it just loaded me into the world with no intro cut scene. So no context or story.

Buddy was dropped right away.
Did something happen?

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Did you play Saints Row IV? Its low budget and quite a few years old but it has very similar gameplay in the core open world. You also get some awesome powers, its very over the top and fun

Also Agents of Mayhem has a similar visual style and a few things in common with crackdown and I believe its on game pass for xbox. I enjoyed the game a lot when it came out despite some significant issues, but it was mostly ignored.
Yeah i played SR4 back when it was new, thought it was fine but I prefer 3.

Agents of Mayhem I tried but eh it wasnt for me. Crackdown 3 is better than both of those imo.

Monodrone

Nov 1, 2017
The game is a blast! Started playing it at the time as both Metro Exodus and Resident Evil 2 and Crackdown is easily getting the most playtime. I dont get the "last-gen feel" i have been hearing about, it controls better than any game i have played so far this year and the leveling up mechanics is still as addicting and unique as with the previous games.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
This game is a TRIUMPH.
They improved upon Crackdown 1, already a candidate for game of the forever, IN EVERY SINGLE WAY.
They did it. THEY FUCKING DID IT!
I CAN'T STOP PLAYING!!!

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
If sumo is looking at this thread, please patch in the killer soundtrack to play while driving the agency car. Loving this game

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I think I'm near the end of the game, it's not gonna be my goty, but I think I'm gonna miss the game when it's over. It was a really fun ride, and I think I'm going to return to it in the future.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

My first playthrough is on the difficulty just below Legendary, but at the very start of the game your Agent will be pretty weak. You won't be able to just jump around and rain punishment from heavens, you'll have to play it more tactically, but you should be able to level up your Agent and become a more formidable force pretty quickly. The game feels off until you do, but that's how it's always been in Crackdown (and it's not much different in Sunset Overdrive either). You unlock the dash and more traversal abilities by leveling up your Agility skill (collect Agility and Hidden orbs, and do Rooftop races challenges).

You can throw objects, including dead people, at enemies to damage them. It's only really effective at higher Strength levels.

Well, that's a step up from the 8 month rush job that hampered the second game.

How bad could that original version have been that Microsoft had to throw it away and double down on basically remaking the first game in a new city

I think the issue was they were trying to make good on the promises they made about the cloud so they tried to build a game around that and it turned out that a) the technology just wasn't their to deliver what they were doing to mass market at a reasonable cost and b) what they were building with the cloud destruction really wasn't enough to build an entire 60$ game around.

That's not entirely correct. While the PvP multiplayer has gone through many changes since the early days (a combination of tech and game design challenges, Epic buying the company who provided the basis of the cloud compute tech, and seemingly a change of the PvP mode developers from ReAgent Games to Ruffian - now known as Elbow Rocket - although some other studios have also contributed), the single player campaign has always been handled by Sumo Digital, and it's been basically done for a good while. As far as we know, the single player campaign has not been rebooted or added at a later date.

There's a misinterpreted piece of information making rounds, saying that the game was initially announced as a multiplayer-only title, with the single player mode cobbled together later, when Microsoft realized that they couldn't base the game on the PvP mode alone. That's wrong, the very first announcement talked about the traditional Crackdown campaign, in addition to the new cloud-powered multiplayer. Instead, Crackdown 3 was initially pitched to Microsoft as a multiplayer-only title, but it was decided that the game would also have a traditional single player mode before it was even announced. The single player campaign that we're playing today has been in development all along, and it was basically finished (EDIT: well, I don't know about finished, but it had its current form) in 2017, perhaps earlier. Its first public showing was in the E3 2017 trailer, and a month later the first gameplay footage appeared, featuring the game as we know it now, only lacking some later added refinement, visual and otherwise.

Honestly, it's probably just getting flak for not following current AAA trends in terms of narrative and animations. I expect CD3 will end up on a lot of "Hidden Gems" lists for this gen in 10 years or so.

I agree. Even as a fan of the first two games - or perhaps precisely because of that - I can think of many areas in which the game could be better. However, where my opinion differs from that of most reviewers is I don't think that there are many areas in which the game should be better. Crackdown 3 knows what it wants to be, it knows what its fans want (and also fans of arcadey action games in general - I can see Crackdown 3 going down really well with, for instance, the Earth Defense Force audience), and it delivers. In other words, it's already perfectly fine for the most part, but there's also plenty of room for further improvemet and growth. That's why I hope that the franchise won't be abandoned.

Last edited: