• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

louis89

Jun 11, 2018
Tokyo
I want MS to fully understand why (the majority of) people are complaining.

This right here is the problem, folks. People using their feedback for this game to 'send a message' to Microsoft, instead of fairly judging it on its own merits. That's why this game has 5/10 scores despite no rational person actually thinking it's that bad. Most of what you rambled on about has nothing to do with this game's own merits or flaws.

Dec 15, 2017
https://www.pcgamer.com/i-adore-crackdown-3-because-it-demands-nothing-of-me/

I totally agree with this guy. BTW I am at agility level 4, this game keeps getting better and better. The criticism about being a game from 10 years ago I find that baffling because for example:

- The naughty dog TPS games that are revered as the holy grail of gaming basically play with the same template Gears of War set in 2006 and auto platforming similar to AC from 2007. A basic crafting system was added in TLOU but you get the idea.

- People in this forum are drooling over RE2Make which has the OTS camera and shooting from RE4 (2005)

- Remakes like CTR with the very basic track layout and kart count from the PlayStation days are being revered on the forum.

- And last… FFS this is Reset Era. Most folks around here like JRPGs with turn battle systems straight from the mid 90s.

I don't get why they are not honest and tell the truth: We wanted shinier graphics and 20 minute cutscenes with a dramatic delivery from Terry Crews.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'm actually enjoying most of this game. But the vehicle controls are horrible. Like some of the worst I've ever seen.
I had read this before I played but I completely disagree. Driving controls feel great to me, you can easily throw the car into a drift and power around a corner.

Other than running into objects, I can't see where you would complain about it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup this statement has annoyed me since reviews started dropping. Uncharted 4 and lost legacy should be docked on their score for playing exactly like uncharted 1.

Uncharted 1 never had wide linear or semi open areas, nor anywhere near the complexity and diversity of combat mobility, competency of AI or expansive level design etc as UC4. The added ropeswing, new contextual melee and stealth options, vehicle segments, swimming, sliding, improved level of polish and fluidity and so on, all make UC4 feel like a notable advancement in gameplay mechanics and controls compared to UC1, or even UC3 for that matter. It's the games pacing that is the issue.

Jan 15, 2018
For me, it feels like the game tried to borrow from Just cause. Freeing the people, the rebels showing up in blue, taking out the propaganda towers.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
This right here is the problem, folks. People using their feedback for this game to 'send a message' to Microsoft, instead of fairly judging it on its own merits. That's why this game has 5/10 scores despite no rational person actually thinking it's that bad. Most of what you rambled on about has nothing to do with this game's own merits or flaws.

I love Crackdown and tolerated Crackdown 2 and I cannot believe how bad this game is

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I love Crackdown and tolerated Crackdown 2 and I cannot believe how bad this game is

I can't wrap my head around the idea of loving crackdown 1 and thinking this game is bad.

I started a playthrough of CD1 in anticipation of this game, and CD3 is basically a love letter to that game. It literally builds on and improves everything good about the original.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
This is the Crackdown I remember. I think the reviews are a bit harsh, but we've also had a pretty good jump in game & environment "quality" since Crackdown 1 & 2 were released.

There are really only two things that I have an issue with. First, enemy lock-on is great but I wish I could swap between the actual enemies I'm locked on. Two, driving is horrible. I've barely been in a car yet because of it.

I believe you can by pressing right or left on the d-pad. I never use it though but I thought I saw it mentioned as I was playing.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Put me in the camp of enjoying this game and not understanding why reviews are just so bad. It's been hard for me to put the game down. It's that endless loop of "just one more orb" or "one more prison liberation." And I am absolutely loving the graphics.

My RX 580 can run the game at Ultra settings, 2160p, and a locked 30 fps (with TAA turned to "low" and dynamic resolution turned on). I've actually been playing on the PC over my Xbox One X. That's a first for me! I don't know what the Xbox One X PC graphics setting equivalent is, but certainly it's lower than Ultra... right?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There's a shit ton of fun action films that are sitting at 5 or 6 on IMDB, that's pretty much how I see Crackdown 3.
Put me in the camp of enjoying this game and not understanding why reviews are just so bad. It's been hard for me to put the game down. It's that endless loop of "just one more orb" or "one more prison liberation." And I am absolutely loving the graphics.

My RX 580 can run the game at Ultra settings, 2160p, and a locked 30 fps (with TAA turned to "low" and dynamic resolution turned on). I've actually been playing on the PC over my Xbox One X. That's a first for me! I don't know what the Xbox One X PC graphics setting equivalent is, but certainly it's lower than Ultra... right?

Any reason you're not playing at 60fps?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The appeal of this game is beginning to run thin now...I'm about 10 hours in on Legendary.

Orbs are getting less fun. The various activities are getting less fun.

I think I'm enjoying it just enough to power through. But this is the kinda game I'll just forget about in a few weeks. As of right now, I believe the review scores are mostly justified.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I was playing a modern game before Crackdown came out. Assassins Creed Odyssey. When you press a button during combat in this modern game, it may register, or it may not. It's a very animation centric game, as are many modern games.

For controls, I definitely prefer Crackdown's immediacy. If you hit a button, you know the action is going to happen.

It's funny you say that because there were many times where I pressed a button and nothing happened at all.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Question, what is those orange holograms ? Do I need to do anything ?

The red ones are the towers right ? The ones that need to be hacked ?

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Playing co op with my buddy and after 30 minutes he says "man, this game kinda sucks right?"

its true because it does lol

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It's funny you say that because there were many times where I pressed a button and nothing happened at all.
The only time I can think of that happening is when you're reloading and you try to shoot. It's particularly noticeable when you're using the Oblivion gun because the reload takes so long. You can always immediately swap guns though.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I can't wrap my head around the idea of loving crackdown 1 and thinking this game is bad.

I started a playthrough of CD1 in anticipation of this game, and CD3 is basically a love letter to that game. It literally builds on and improves everything good about the original.

For my case it's because Crackdown was fun when I was 17, it's less fun when I'm 29. I am not referring to maturity levels here, merely highlighting the massive amount of time between the two releases.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Any reason you're not playing at 60fps?
4K. I favor image quality over framerate and, since I can't have the best of both worlds, image quality wins. Tinkering with the settings I was able to get 60fps at 1440p (though I didn't play but a moment at that res), but by then I was already spoiled by playing on the Xbox One X.

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown reinforces my idea that the 'dated' criticism is lazy and doesn't mean shit. I thought the same about when people said the same stuff about Darksiders 3.

Playing co op with my buddy and after 30 minutes he says "man, this game kinda sucks right?"

its true because it does lol

In co-op it definitely sucks. So many bugs.

I can't wrap my mind around someone enjoying the first crackdown and not liking this game.

For my case it's because Crackdown was fun when I was 17, it's less fun when I'm 29. I am not referring to maturity levels here, merely highlighting the massive amount of time between the two releases.

I mean, i played Crackdown when i was 13 and still love the formula now that i am almost 25. Good design doesn't really gets worse as time passes by.

and holy shit does time goes by fast

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
What's the deal with the reinforcement system? I'm not clear if they infinitely respawn (requiring you to get a certain distance away, or hit a supply spot), or they are limited in numbers.

anf

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, USA
Well, I was expecting a disaster after all the reviews, but I'm having a great time with it. I'm actually having more fun with it than I did with Sunset overdrive.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished playing through the campaign solo and I loved it. The movement in this game is great and just blowing everything up was a lot of fun.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with the reinforcement system? I'm not clear if they infinitely respawn (requiring you to get a certain distance away, or hit a supply spot), or they are limited in numbers.

It sort of works like GTA...lower levels it's easy to shake them... you'll see after a while if you hide the bar around the faction you annoyed start to deplete. It's hard to deplete a 3rd tier response

The highest level, City lockdown, is just a dumbed down version of GTAs military intervention... and you will need to kill them or die to stop it

It's infinite until you hide or they can't find you... which can happen sometimes

Also it looks to me they never implemented in the tanks as a weapon for the police faction because the guys just get out of the tank to shoot you....

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I completely agree with the reviews. Crackdown 3 is mediocre in pretty much every way and super repetitive. I'd give it a 6/10 personally. It's cool to see some positive impressions in here, but I'm definitely surprised by the number of people seemingly disagreeing with the reviews. I don't think the game is all that fun either. I hate the aiming system, and I feel like Sunset Overdrive, Agents of Mayhem, Saints Row 4, and Infamous all have much better traversal.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see what time between releases has to do with anything though- not when it comes to a qualitive comparison between the two.

It's one thing to say your tastes have changed- it's another to say CD3 is worse that CD1.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Crackdown 3 (in my humble opinion) is the best Crackdown there ever has been, and it's not even close. Reviewers got this one completely wrong, but I guess that's because these days a game needs to be cinematic and story driven to be considered good. Pure arcadey fun and tight controls apparently don't really matter that much anymore, or are "just not enough" (lol).

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I definitely prefer killing gangs in CD1 compared to military and robots in 3. Also 3 is so damn short.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Played for around 4 hours and this game is bad. There is almost no redeeming quality. Only good thing about this I can say is that it is already polished.
I don't why are people saying it is fun game. The first few hours are a chore to go though because you don't have any abilities.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Random question, was able to snag the $2 sub to Gamepass for 2 months so going to dive back in and literally turn my brain off and enjoy the game for what it is. My wife now wants to play coop, do you guys know if my single player campaign agent can join right up with her on a new story?

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Random question, was able to snag the $2 sub to Gamepass for 2 months so going to dive back in and literally turn my brain off and enjoy the game for what it is. My wife now wants to play coop, do you guys know if my single player campaign agent can join right up with her on a new story?
Yes you can. Just use your sp agent slot and a new city slot to save when you join her. Really like having two separate save slots (and people say this game doesn't innovate lol).

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes you can. Just use your sp agent slot and a new city slot to save when you join her. Really like having two separate save slots (and people say this game doesn't innovate lol).
Very nice! So basically its like having ONE character but 2 different saves? I would assume my progress in either world essentially is one in the same?

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Very nice! So basically its like having ONE character but 2 different saves? I would assume my progress in either world essentially is one in the same?
Yeah, you can indepentently level your character from clearing the city (you have like 6 slots for your character and 6 for the city). Makes for some awesome possibilities (i.e. start a new world with your completely overpowered level 6 chara, or open a completely cleared city with a fresh character).

Just make sure to select another save slot for the city when joining a coop game, or you overwrite your progess! Menu doesn't make it clear, and they said they would update that. The way it works is that the player starting the coop session determines which city state is used.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah i just did this with a friend, any orbs yove collected that your wife hasnt will showed up grey for you in the new world save and any skills your agent has will carry over. Mission progress is tied to the world not the agent, so those will be reset.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah i just did this with a friend, any orbs yove collected that your wife hasnt will showed up grey for you in the new world save and any skills your agent has will carry over. Mission progress is tied to the world not the agent, so those will be reset.
The bolded part is another innovation in this game that I really love, it gives the coop extra meaning and depth. Similar with the shared orbs for killing enemies. The design of this game is really well thought out.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Played for around 4 hours and this game is bad. There is almost no redeeming quality. Only good thing about this I can say is that it is already polished.
I don't why are people saying it is fun game. The first few hours are a chore to go though because you don't have any abilities.

People are saying its fun because they are having fun.

It doesn't take a "few hours" to gain enough for it to click. Unless you decide to go against the toughest opponents right out of the gate, I don't understand why you'd say it feels like a chore.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
NO way man. You slide around like you are on ice, you go from barely turning to a U-Turn in a milimeter and any sort of bump in the road has disastrous results on the car. It's complete shit. Early I hit a sidewalk edge and my car shot straight up into the air and I unlocked the 4 second hang time trophy lol.

It's horrible man, you can't sugar coat it no matter how much you like the game.

I am sugarcoating nothing. I dont think they are bad. I am person also who likes GTA4 cars.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

I would have thought people loving the original would love this, but it can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint what makes one game work for a person and not another that seems relatively similar. If you were to compare Crackdown 1 and 3, could you elaborate on what made you love the first and hate the third?

The one thing I think there's a discussion to be had about is the jumping. In the first game the momentum was much stricter and with no double jumps or boosts to save you, every jump was a thrill. Three is the complete opposite: You don't dedicate yourself to the momentum, meaning your jump isn't as influenced by the speed leading up to it and you can adjust direction more easily. Combined with the boosts and double jumps the platforming is much easier, but I don't necessasarily view that as a bad thing and it has the advantage of working really well with the combat, enhanching your options and almost giving it a slight touch of the dash gliding from Gun Valkyrie, as someone mentioned earlier and which I was also reminded of when playing.

There's quite a big difference in how the games do platforming and I could see why some would like one, but not the other. Personally I like both and enjoy the games feeling differently, while still belonging to the same franchise and core template. It's what I'm always hoping for from a sequel. From my perspective Sumo nailed the essential parts of Crackdown, improved and updated them - repetition notwithstanding - respectfully. I love it to bits.

And I would love to get a sequel with more varied objectives, more platforming sections like the propaganda towers, improved driving physics/handling and perhaps a better integration of vehicles into the core game.

Last edited:

PlayerReady

Oct 31, 2017
I'm saddened by the reviews because I think it will affect the decision whether this will get a sequel. It is the most fun I've had with a videogame in this generation.

I also can't fathom why some seem to be offended that people are enjoying this game and disagreeing with the reviews. Especially taking into account the games media is not always the final word.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It plays like a ten year old game in that the controls
How is this negative? The vast majority of games we play have exactly the same controls as games from the 360.
and the open world are laid out like something on the 360. Buildings are cut and paste,
No they aren't. Besides maybe the slums the buildings are actually very varied - particularly between different locations in the map.
everything looks the same,
No it doesn't - the different areas of the map are visually very distinct.
No they aren't.

Graphics are below average even for games that came out at the beginning of the generation.
No they aren't - see the digital foundry analysis

Every enemy, car and object you can throw looks essentially the same the textures are so low quality.
Again, no, they're really not.

Gun play is basic to say the least (it even seems to lock on automatically for you at lower difficulties at least?).
The game is an action platformer, not a shooter - you're in the wrong place if you're looking for nuanced gunplay. It's all about the movement in this game.

There are no skill trees
Thank fuck for that.

personality beyond what guns you want to carry. There is almost no story present, just objectives marked on a map that all amount to "kill bad guys, shoot a container or flip a switch" with the exception of the towers.

The boss fights are pretty cool I guess.
Meh, it's not a story focused game. No one complained about the lack of story in Forza Horizon 4.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saddened by the reviews because I think it will affect the decision whether this will get a sequel. It is the most fun I've had with a videogame in this generation.

I also can't fathom why some seem to be offended that people are enjoying this game and disagreeing with the reviews. Especially taking into account the games media is not always the final word.
I don't think reviews will affect MS's decision about a sequel. MS has all the metrics they need by game sales, how many times it was downloaded on GamePass, the increase of subscriptions in Februrary, and more importantly player engagement throughout the lifespan of Crackdown 3 from the singleplayer campaign to it's multiplayer to determine whether a sequel is worth going forward with.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I gavel this a try with a buddy's X and it's fun actuslly, the moment to moment gameplay was great. Liked it more than Anthem haha.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I just gave the game a shot since I have Gamepass and I had a hard time putting it down. It's a lot of fun mindless shooting, collecting orbs and driving around. I don't get the scores making it sound like it's a bad game.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
What? What were you doing in those hours? I played for a single hour yesterday and reached level 2 agility and level 1 on everything else except driving simply by collecting most orbs (including hidden orbs) in the starting area.
And I'm so excited knowing that the game will only continue to ramp up from here. Level 6 agility is gonna be bliss.
The one thing I think there's a discussion to be had about is the jumping. In the first game the momentum was much stricter and with no double jumps or boosts to save you, every jump was a thrill. Three is the complete opposite: You don't dedicate yourself to the momentum, meaning your jump isn't as influenced by the speed leading up to it and you can adjust direction more easily. Combined with the boosts and double jumps the platforming is much easier, but I don't necessasarily view that as a bad thing and it has the advantage of working really well with the combat, enhanching your options and almost giving it a slight touch of the dash gliding from Gun Valkyrie, as someone mentioned earlier and which I was also reminded of when playing.
This is a very good point. I'm enjoying the air dash thing (it made Sunset Overdrive MUCH better too and I feel it was more important in that game as your jumping ability itself doesn't improve unlike in Crackdown), but I have found memories of the simplicity of the first two games as well. Just finding that sweet spot of how much you press down A and landing a super high jump perfectly was very satisfying.
I'm also not sure where I stand on Crackdown 2's wingsuit. It was a ton of fun but changes traversal a lot.

Anyway, can't wait to get back to the game tonight.