• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 7, 2017
The more I see the negative reviews of this the more it seems my kinda thing. Maybe I just like shit games! Mad Max was another I absolutely loved. Brainless, minimal attention required to story and just run around blowing things up and collecting and upgrading.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So I had a level 3 hit on me from the logistics division, and I decided to start a rooftop race amidst the chaos.

It was a ton of fun... It would be cool if they there were some official "gauntlet" styled races that threw enemies at you while you attempt to platform/drive through the city.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The more I see the negative reviews of this the more it seems my kinda thing. Maybe I just like shit games! Mad Max was another I absolutely loved. Brainless, minimal attention required to story and just run around blowing things up and collecting and upgrading.
I accepted my bad taste in gaming, and I live a very happy life now.

But maybe we are right and all the rest are wrong and crazy.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
CD3 is by no means a bad game. A bad game to me is something broken, something with a bad design or is offending.
CD3 is polished, has great design choices and is a lot of fun to play. That, to me, is not a 2/5.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Does anyone know if they have fixed the stutter issue on PC yet? If not, is there a place I can check up on for patch notes so I can see for myself. Thinking about giving this a shot as I loved the OG, but not if there are stutter issues.

Cheers

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
You need an Atmos sound system for it to work. That's it. Or headphones. If you use headphones, there is a cost to unlock it. There's no cost to unlock it for a home theater.
Wait does this work with any headphones? Will it improve my audio automatically? I'm using AudioTechnica M50x and I'm very happy with the sound, but I guess it could be even better?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i just did this with a friend, any orbs yove collected that your wife hasnt will showed up grey for you in the new world save

So you actually have a chance to help your co-op buddy collect orbs. That's a nice touch.

Sumo gets this franchise.

Level 6 agility is gonna be bliss.

It's almost game breakingly sweet. It actually reminds me of why I don't like a lot of similar games, because they feel like they're automated or on rails. When Crackdown 3 rewards you with that feeling, it's at a point where the game is practically over, so it doesn't ruin the experience, but becomes a nice reward instead.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I'm about 7 hours in. I wasn't loving the melee but it's great now it's leveled up. I'm getting into the driving now. This game is the gift that keeps on giving!

Oct 25, 2017
It plays like a ten year old game in that the controls and the open world are laid out like something on the 360. Buildings are cut and paste, everything looks the same, streets are empty. Graphics are below average even for games that came out at the beginning of the generation. Every enemy, car and object you can throw looks essentially the same the textures are so low quality. Gun play is basic to say the least (it even seems to lock on automatically for you at lower difficulties at least?). There are no skill trees or personality beyond what guns you want to carry. There is almost no story present, just objectives marked on a map that all amount to "kill bad guys, shoot a container or flip a switch" with the exception of the towers.

The boss fights are pretty cool I guess.

Despite the above paragraph I actually find the game sorta fun in a mindless way. But if you want to sit here and say you "don't understand" why the game feels ten years old then I honestly don't know what to tell you. Because it does....very much so.

Go take a look at some of the games that came out ten years ago, though.

Mass Effect 1 came out the same year as Crackdown 1, is that game lacking personality, skill trees and has no story present?

Game design wasn't invented this generation, you know. It's not like until the PS4 everyone was just throwing shit together and releasing tech demos as if they were full games.

Uncharted 2 will become 10 years old this year, Chrono Trigger is 24. Games weren't about just shooting containers and flipping switches until this generation. That's something particular to Crackdown, and the first one, though it has its devoted fans, was never considered by the general audience to be on the same level as something like Mass Effect, Halo 3, Uncharted 1, Portal, Mario Galaxy, Modern Warfare or Bioshock, to only mention games that came out that same year.

I have no issues with the scores, or with people disliking the game, most of the criticism makes sense, but "plays like a last gen game" makes no sense at all. If you think Crackdown's design isn't good, that's perfectly fine, but don't throw every older game in the garbage bin just because of that.

Mafia III was literally a game where you had to complete side stuff to unlock a boss fight over and over. People did criticize it a lot for it, but I don't remember anyone blaming the PS3 for that, it was still considered a current gen game, just a bad one. I suspect it has to do with the story-driven nature and the prettier graphics, neither of which has anything to do with game design.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I'm about 7 hours in. I wasn't loving the melee but it's great now it's leveled up. I'm getting into the driving now. This game is the gift that keeps on giving!
Yeah I feel like people really need to experience this transformation. I can see why you wouldn't like the beginning as you're weak AF but things just get better and better.
Download the Atmos app and check it out. They have some demos. I've never used it with headphones.
Alright thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with the reviews. Crackdown 3 is mediocre in pretty much every way and super repetitive. I'd give it a 6/10 personally. It's cool to see some positive impressions in here, but I'm definitely surprised by the number of people seemingly disagreeing with the reviews. I don't think the game is all that fun either. I hate the aiming system, and I feel like Sunset Overdrive, Agents of Mayhem, Saints Row 4, and Infamous all have much better traversal.

I like inFAMOUS more than Crackdown 3, I think any of the games I played, really, but the traversal is definitely something I don't agree with. Traversing in inFAMOUS has some cool stuff like riding railroads, but you just jump on it and hold forward for that to happen. In Crackdown 3 I'm constantly combining my abilities to get somewhere as fast as possible while traversing the longest distance I can.

inFAMOUS is much slower and automated in its traversal, which makes perfect sense for that game, as the combat is more demanding of your attention. You don't just lock on and shoot while focusing on movement, it controls like a regular third person shooter, but with comparatively much more freedom of movement.

So I had a level 3 hit on me from the logistics division, and I decided to start a rooftop race amidst the chaos.

It was a ton of fun... It would be cool if they there were some official "gauntlet" styled races that threw enemies at you while you attempt to platform/drive through the city.

That would be great! I can't see myself revisiting this game just for those, but I'd love to see it in a Crackdown 4.

Does anyone know if they have fixed the stutter issue on PC yet? If not, is there a place I can check up on for patch notes so I can see for myself. Thinking about giving this a shot as I loved the OG, but not if there are stutter issues.

Cheers

Not yet, unfortunately, but they're supposed to release a new video today talking about some of the issues, how far along they are with fixing and stuff like that.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
This game is hands down the most underrated game that I have ever played per the reviews. I am literally obsessed with it, as it is so much fun. I do think that if you consider yourself somewhat above average in your gaming skills that it probably plays better if you up the difficulty from the start, as I started on 'Legendary' from the beginning. I have only beaten one boss yet because I have been chasing orbs and going all around the world. I gave Spider-Man on PS4 a 9.0 due to the fact that he is my favorite superhero and the web swinging was spot on awesome, but Crackdown 3 has been more fun in its actual moment to moment world traversal and combat gameplay. I swear that this game almost feels like Super Mario Odyssey (exploration for orbs instead of moons), Spider-Man (world traversal and sense of scale when getting up on buildings and such) and the Hulk (crazy destruction and picking up cars and throwing them way across the map etc.) combined into an awesome 3D superhero action platformer blast!

Oct 25, 2017
Wait Crackdown 1 doesnt have air-dashing? I feel like that's a pretty crucial aspect to the way this game plays during combat.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Played about eight hours thus far, and I'm really enjoying it. This reminds me of the DC movies debacle, except this time i'm on the side of the crazies defending it. I have my issues, absolutely, but I think many of the reviews have been unnecessarily tough on it, and for my money it's easily as good as the likes of Just Cause, if not better.

Good
  • Maneuverability feels great and responsive when you're leveled up, whether it's platforming, or zipping around during combat.
  • Visually striking, with incredibly clean IQ, and great HDR.
  • Kills for skills loop is as rewarding as ever, and it's addictive leveling up most of the categories
  • Singularity Grenade
  • Terry Crews!

Bad
  • Terry Crew's inclusion feels more like he's been inserted via DLC. Opening cutscene excluded, there's no real dialogue between him and the side characters, and they just talk at him.
  • The multiplayer really doesn't do it for me. There's potential for it be something interesting, but right now it's incredibly barebones, right down to the UI.
  • Collecting agent DNA feels undercooked, and I don't feel any real incentive to swap out characters.
  • Vehicle transformations are visually a big downgrade from the original :(

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah I feel like people really need to experience this transformation. I can see why you wouldn't like the beginning as you're weak AF but things just get better and better.

Alright thanks!

Let us know if the Atmos makes a difference on your headphones. :) Btw, this is on the Xbox. I think it also works on PC, but I'm less sure about that.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
The Wrecking Zone trailer was really good to be fair, much better than the campaign ones. Maybe that's where they had to spend the time, to make sure it quelled the naysayers and masked the poor framerate!

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
What? What were you doing in those hours? I played for a single hour yesterday and reached level 2 agility and level 1 on everything else except driving simply by collecting most orbs (including hidden orbs) in the starting area.
And I'm so excited knowing that the game will only continue to ramp up from here. Level 6 agility is gonna be bliss.

This is a very good point. I'm enjoying the air dash thing (it made Sunset Overdrive MUCH better too and I feel it was more important in that game as your jumping ability itself doesn't improve unlike in Crackdown), but I have found memories of the simplicity of the first two games as well. Just finding that sweet spot of how much you press down A and landing a super high jump perfectly was very satisfying.
I'm also not sure where I stand on Crackdown 2's wingsuit. It was a ton of fun but changes traversal a lot.

Anyway, can't wait to get back to the game tonight.
I have level 3 most stats. I am mostly doing repetitive missions. Just killed Khan last night and was going for A I

Oct 25, 2017

This is a really good point:

We're spending so much time defending that it's ok to enjoy a game that isn't a masterpiece, that we're not giving it enough props for the things it does genuinely well.

Before I give this opinion, let me make it very clear that I think God of War as a whole is a much stronger game than Crackdown 3. Even in a pure "which one I'd enjoy playing more right now" way, as I adore the combat and exploration in God of War. It's simply moment-to-moment greatness, even without talking about story or presentation. With that out of the way, Crackdown 3 does progression and levels in a way that is more meaningful than God of War.

In God of War, you'll find a purple enemy with a skull next to it, that means that if this enemy touches you, you're gone. If you get your level high enough by equipping better gear, the skull will be gone and the color will change. Now the enemy is not as much of a sponge and it won't kill you in one hit. Same moveset for you and the enemy, even your damage numbers are similar from, say, late level 3 and barely starting level 4, but just because the level number changed, now the artificial gating is gone and you can play the fight as intended. You're not progressing in any meaningful way by leveling up, you're just removing bullshit.

In Crackdown 3, as said in those tweets, your actual capabilities change as you level up, it's closer to God of War's skill tree than its level system. The first area has a couple of orbs that are placed in ways that probably expect you to come back later, when you have a higher agility level, but if you're persistent you can just get them anyway. The game won't try to stop you. It gives you the geometry, and if you can climb it without leveling up, good for you.

Leveling up in Crackdown is its own gameplay loop, you need to overcome these little challenges to find and collect the orbs, and by getting better movement you can tackle harder challenges to find and collect more orbs. In God of War you just switch your gear and continue playing the exact same way. It's not interesting in an action game, skillful way, as you didn't get better to overcome the challenge, and it's not interesting in an RPG, incremental development way, as you didn't get new abilities to help you overcome the challenge. You just switched your clothes and the purple bar with a skull disappeared.

You could argue it encourages exploration and fighting optional enemies, but because they have to account for players who only rush through the main path, you'll always run into the NPCs who will sell you gear that is just good enough for that part of the game. So you never really need to explore and fight for better gear, looking cool is a better incentive for getting that Valkyrie set than the stats.

The Wrecking Zone trailer was really good to be fair, much better than the campaign ones. Maybe that's where they had to spend the time, to make sure it quelled the naysayers and masked the poor framerate!

Didn't even download Wrecking Zone, I honestly have no interest in the multiplayer at all. I'm interested in seeing numbers though, maybe I'm just part of a vocal minority and the multiplayer is actually more successful than the campaign due to game pass and the lower download size.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

We're spending so much time defending that it's ok to enjoy a game that isn't a masterpiece, that we're not giving it enough props for the things it does genuinely well.

Before I give this opinion, let me make it very clear that I think God of War as a whole is a much stronger game than Crackdown 3. Even in a pure "which one I'd enjoy playing more right now" way, as I adore the combat and exploration in God of War. It's simply moment-to-moment greatness, even without talking about story or presentation. With that out of the way, Crackdown 3 does progression and levels in a way that is more meaningful than God of War.

In God of War, you'll find a purple enemy with a skull next to it, that means that if this enemy touches you, you're gone. If you get your level high enough by equipping better gear, the skull will be gone and the color will change. Now the enemy is not as much of a sponge and it won't kill you in one hit. Same moveset for you and the enemy, even your damage numbers are similar from, say, late level 3 and barely starting level 4, but just because the level number changed, now the artificial gating is gone and you can play the fight as intended. You're not progressing in any meaningful way by leveling up, you're just removing bullshit.

In Crackdown 3, as said in those tweets, your actual capabilities change as you level up, it's closer to God of War's skill tree than its level system. The first area has a couple of orbs that are placed in ways that probably expect you to come back later, when you have a higher agility level, but if you're persistent you can just get them anyway. The game won't try to stop you. It gives you the geometry, and if you can climb it without leveling up, good for you.

Leveling up in Crackdown is its own gameplay loop, you need to overcome these little challenges to find and collect the orbs, and by getting better movement you can tackle harder challenges to find and collect more orbs. In God of War you just switch your gear and continue playing the exact same way. It's not interesting in an action game, skillful way, as you didn't get better to overcome the challenge, and it's not interesting in an RPG, incremental development way, as you didn't get new abilities to help you overcome the challenge. You just switched your clothes and the purple bar with a skull disappeared.

You could argue it encourages exploration and fighting optional enemies, but because they have to account for players who only rush through the main path, you'll always run into the NPCs who will sell you gear that is just good enough for that part of the game. So you never really need to explore and fight for better gear, looking cool is a better incentive for getting that Valkyrie set than the stats.

Didn't even download Wrecking Zone, I honestly have no interest in the multiplayer at all. I'm interested in seeing numbers though, maybe I'm just part of a vocal minority and the multiplayer is actually more successful than the campaign due to game pass and the lower download size.

Increasing habilities by making the player try with bigger challenges is smart, and very satisfying even if it's a concept a decade old.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Yeah, most collect-a-thons don't result in anything meaningful happening in the game. In Crackdown, it's fundamental to the gameplay. I love watching that number go up (hello Jeff Gerstmann), knowing that I'm getting closer to a big change in gameplay. Also, the orbs are EVERYWHERE and highly visible.

I do miss the sniper rifle for orb hunting, though. It didn't zoom in much, but every little bit counts.

If you are orb hunting, btw, walk the monorails. It is up high so you can see them, and they go everywhere! There are 4 monorail tracks in the game that go all over the island.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
If you are having issues getting some of those pesky car jump rings, you can get in your car and have a friend throw you through the ring in co-op for the easy score haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, most collect-a-thons don't result in anything meaningful happening in the game. In Crackdown, it's fundamental to the gameplay. I love watching that number go up (hello Jeff Gerstmann), knowing that I'm getting closer to a big change in gameplay. Also, the orbs are EVERYWHERE and highly visible.

I do miss the sniper rifle for orb hunting, though. It didn't zoom in much, but every little bit counts.

If you are orb hunting, btw, walk the monorails. It is up high so you can see them, and they go everywhere! There are 4 monorail tracks in the game that go all over the island.
Good tip, I only really go up there when I spot an orb. It's always a fun climb, though.

If you are having issues getting some of those pesky car jump rings, you can get in your car and have a friend throw you through the ring in co-op for the easy score haha.
lmao, this sounds great. Only way I'm ever doing more than a few of those.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I don't think you're in the minority. Crackdown 3's campaign was the third most played game last week according to TrueAchievements. Wrecking Zone came in at 22. https://www.trueachievements.com/n36503/xbox-gameplay-chart-week-ending-february-17th-2019

I like it, but it is very barebones and the framerate is a nuisance.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone else notice that your leveled up and enormous agent will scale down before getting into a car? It's hilarious. :) I was looking at this tiny car next to me, thinking...how the hell am I gonna fit in there? And then my agent got tiny a moment before he opened the car door and sat in the car.

Someone is going to spin this as being awful for some reason. It's not. It's hilarious. :)

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 2 will become 10 years old this year, Chrono Trigger is 24. Games weren't about just shooting containers and flipping switches until this generation. That's something particular to Crackdown, and the first one, though it has its devoted fans, was never considered by the general audience to be on the same level as something like Mass Effect, Halo 3, Uncharted 1, Portal, Mario Galaxy, Modern Warfare or Bioshock, to only mention games that came out that same year.

I have no issues with the scores, or with people disliking the game, most of the criticism makes sense, but "plays like a last gen game" makes no sense at all. If you think Crackdown's design isn't good, that's perfectly fine, but don't throw every older game in the garbage bin just because of that.

I like how every game you listed is an example of how games are supposed to evolve through sequels. I think anyone who has played Uncharted will tell you that the games got better after 1. 2 even being a GOAT contender for many. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were huge leaps in improvement over the first one (With maybe story being the only exception). Mario has changed its mechanics with almost every single release since Galaxy. Call of Duty has introduced operators, wall mechanics, score streaks (instead of kill), and even a Battle Royal and Zombies mode since the OG Modern Warfare.

I'm not saying Crackdown 3 isn't better at some things than Crackdown 1. And I'm not even saying all the previously mentioned games have "completely reinvented themselves. But all of those games significantly improved themselves in the past 10 years in different ways.

Crackdown 3 pretty much feels like Crackdown 1 with slightly better platforming and below par graphics.

And while we are on graphics. This game isn't ugly by any means, but everyone using DF and other videos to say the graphics are so great are kidding themselves. Compare this game to Red Dead, AC Odyssey, Just Cause, Farcry or Horizon Zero Dawn....hell even Infamous...and look me in the eye and tell me you think this games visuals are up to par.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

That reminds me of the way some did it in Crackdown 2:

Totally broke the game, but also very much in the spirit of the sandbox nature of the game ;)

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
What? What were you doing in those hours? I played for a single hour yesterday and reached level 2 agility and level 1 on everything else except driving simply by collecting most orbs (including hidden orbs) in the starting area.
And I'm so excited knowing that the game will only continue to ramp up from here. Level 6 agility is gonna be bliss.

This is a very good point. I'm enjoying the air dash thing (it made Sunset Overdrive MUCH better too and I feel it was more important in that game as your jumping ability itself doesn't improve unlike in Crackdown), but I have found memories of the simplicity of the first two games as well. Just finding that sweet spot of how much you press down A and landing a super high jump perfectly was very satisfying.
I'm also not sure where I stand on Crackdown 2's wingsuit. It was a ton of fun but changes traversal a lot.

Anyway, can't wait to get back to the game tonight.
Just know that going from Level 5 to Level 6 is a slog. I just beat the game and have 100% of all the stuff to do (like monkey barrels, prisons, etc.) except for two towers. I'm at 5.47. For the last two hours, I've been collecting green orbs and doing rooftop races. I started that around 5.28.

edit: Small update: Just found several more green orbs and went from 5.47 to...5.47. D':

Last edited:

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine DLC for this game that would be as big as Horizon expansions. Whole new island with new orbs, some weapons and boss... :(

Oct 25, 2017
Just know that going from Level 5 to Level 6 is a slog. I just beat the game and have 100% of all the stuff to do (like monkey barrels, prisons, etc.) except for two towers. I'm at 5.47. For the last two hours, I've been collecting green orbs and doing rooftop races. I started that around 5.28.
Can you start a new world with the same characters and just go for the easy early game orbs?

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
Can you start a new world with the same characters and just go for the easy early game orbs?

If you start a new world with the same characters the orbs you already have are gone in the new world. All orbs, skills, races, agility courses, and car jump rings are character bound not world.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I have wondered the same thing, but I haven't tested it yet. When I snag the final tower (I have one left), I will test it and let you know. At that point, I won't be worried about the other achievements, because I will NEVER gold the races and rooftops to 100%. :'(
edit:
If you start a new world with the same characters the orbs you already have are gone in the new world. All orbs, skills, races, agility courses, and car jump rings are character bound not world.
Awww, crumblecakes! :(

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
For my case it's because Crackdown was fun when I was 17, it's less fun when I'm 29. I am not referring to maturity levels here, merely highlighting the massive amount of time between the two releases.
I don't see how that matters. Crackdown was fun for me when I was 30 and it's just as fun now that I'm in my 40's. It's also fun to play with my kids (language not withstanding).