• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
I have wondered the same thing, but I haven't tested it yet. When I snag the final tower (I have one left), I will test it and let you know. At that point, I won't be worried about the other achievements, because I will NEVER gold the races and rooftops to 100%. :'(
edit:

Awww, crumblecakes! :(

Yea its unfortunate, but with a friend you can get the agility orbs alot faster if you have somebody to play with. Orbs you have found that your teammate has not are outline in grey so you can let your buddy know he doesn't have this one if you are orb collecting together. I thought that was a nice touch to help co-op orb hunting adventures. This works for regular agility orbs and also the hidden ones too

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Yea its unfortunate, but with a friend you can get the agility orbs alot faster if you have somebody to play with. Orbs you have found that your teammate has not are outline in grey so you can let your buddy know he doesn't have this one if you are orb collecting together. I thought that was a nice touch to help co-op orb hunting adventures. This works for regular agility orbs and also the hidden ones too
Oh man, that's great. I have a buddy playing this who is behind me, so I will probably hop into his game soon.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Let us know if the Atmos makes a difference on your headphones. :) Btw, this is on the Xbox. I think it also works on PC, but I'm less sure about that.
Please give me an area I can go where you are certain there are Atmos overhead effects. I played the game for 10 minutes with my ear to one of my ceiling speakers and never heard a sound. I switched my Xbox to 7.1 with AVR upmixing and then my overhead speakers came alive.

I am 100% convinced this game is not Atmos; it's another Sea of Thieves debacle where it was announced as having it well before release, but was absent with the final product.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
Oh man, that's great. I have a buddy playing this who is behind me, so I will probably hop into his game soon.

One thing to be careful of is when you do finally play co-op make sure to not save over your main world if you want to keep it. When you do co-op it will ask you to pick a agent and then a world save spot that it will overwrite. I have heard of a few people getting confused and saving over their world 1 slot instead of using a new world 2 slot for a co-op world.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
And while we are on graphics. This game isn't ugly by any means, but everyone using DF and other videos to say the graphics are so great are kidding themselves. Compare this game to Red Dead, AC Odyssey, Just Cause, Farcry or Horizon Zero Dawn....hell even Infamous...and look me in the eye and tell me you think this games visuals are up to par.

If every game has to be Red Dead or AC Odyssey for you to enjoy it or even appreciate the graphics or art style, gaming must be full of disappointment for you. Nothankyou.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
And while we are on graphics. This game isn't ugly by any means, but everyone using DF and other videos to say the graphics are so great are kidding themselves. Compare this game to Red Dead, AC Odyssey, Just Cause, Farcry or Horizon Zero Dawn....hell even Infamous...and look me in the eye and tell me you think this games visuals are up to par.
Among those games the only one I've played myself (can't bring myself to begin RDR yet) is HZD. Of course it looks and plays great, but it has far less "interactive" environments. Yes, you can climb specific areas but they are far more pre-defined than in Crackdown.

I did watch my nephew play Just Cause 4 over Christmas, and to be honest I though it looked terrible in general... not just compared to Crackdown 3.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I leveled up most my skills to level three last night and the game got much more enjoyable. I find myself in an area and I keep on completing missions. Before I know it, two hours or more have passed. Last night I destroyed some machinery and a boss. Tonight, I'll probably do something similar.

I also found Wrecking Zone to be pretty fun. There is something satisfying about jumping 30 stories in the air only to notice a battle going on below you and then smashing through 5 floors to kill an enemy.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I like how every game you listed is an example of how games are supposed to evolve through sequels. I think anyone who has played Uncharted will tell you that the games got better after 1. 2 even being a GOAT contender for many. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were huge leaps in improvement over the first one (With maybe story being the only exception). Mario has changed its mechanics with almost every single release since Galaxy. Call of Duty has introduced operators, wall mechanics, score streaks (instead of kill), and even a Battle Royal and Zombies mode since the OG Modern Warfare.

Are you unaware of the changes they made to Crackdown 3?

And the agent in Crackdown has new moves too.
Air dash
Double air dash
Triple jump
Scrambling up walls
Air dash actually works as a wall run, too.
Flying (level 6)
A flying punch (not the ground pound)
Regenerating ammo (level 6)
A health grenade
An item duplication gadget
A black hole grenade
A black hole gun
A tether gun
Something like 15 new other weapons

The game also has:
3 factions that individually respond to aggression
A HUGE increase in the variety of enemies. Two or 3 different kinds of Mechs, in addition to the different boss mechs.
If you get aggressive enough with the enemies, the city will go into lockdowns where you have to defeat a certain number of enemies before they will leave you alone. These battles get INSANE.

This is easily on par with the changes from sequel to sequel in those other games.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Please give me an area I can go where you are certain there are Atmos overhead effects. I played the game for 10 minutes with my ear to one of my ceiling speakers and never heard a sound. I switched my Xbox to 7.1 with AVR upmixing and then my overhead speakers came alive.

I am 100% convinced this game is not Atmos; it's another Sea of Thieves debacle where it was announced as having it well before release, but was absent with the final product.

Hmm, I didn't go back to my Atmos speakers to listen to them directly, but there's an area near the center of the city where there are a ton of chemical tanks you're supposed to blow up. Once they are blown up on either side of you, and flaming green, it sure sounded like the sound was coming from up above for me. I'll pinpoint it on the map tonight.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Be very careful when playing co-op with friends. It's pretty easy to accidentally overwrite your world state with theirs. When joining someone else's game, be sure to pick a new world slot otherwise you're potentially going to lose some of your progress. Some things seem to carry over like orbs or race medals, but it's not always clear to me what is tracked with your agent and what is tracked with your world state.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Hey, guys!! I just figured out a pro-tip! (You all probably know this, but I didn't, so I'm sharing.) I just tested it, and you can survive a fall from any height if you use the ground-pound. Just hold it all the way to the ground, and you'll auto-smash. I just jumped off the tallest building in the game, held B all the way down, and took zero damage! It's great!
but the red ones are related to the towers that need to be hacked, correct?
If you're talking about what I think you are, yes. And they turn blue when you switch it to your side's propaganda remove the propaganda.
One thing to be careful of is when you do finally play co-op make sure to not save over your main world if you want to keep it. When you do co-op it will ask you to pick a agent and then a world save spot that it will overwrite. I have heard of a few people getting confused and saving over their world 1 slot instead of using a new world 2 slot for a co-op world.
Great to know! I will remember that.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Saw the DF analysis of the multiplayer and just as I suspected the fps is actually decent, it is just the frame pacing that is terrible. I really hope they can fix it and it is not something inherent to the cloud stuff, because the multiplayer can really be great fun.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So... I finished the campaign and was sick to death of it by the end. Is it worth checking out Wrecking Zone?

Oct 25, 2017
I like how every game you listed is an example of how games are supposed to evolve through sequels. I think anyone who has played Uncharted will tell you that the games got better after 1. 2 even being a GOAT contender for many. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were huge leaps in improvement over the first one (With maybe story being the only exception). Mario has changed its mechanics with almost every single release since Galaxy. Call of Duty has introduced operators, wall mechanics, score streaks (instead of kill), and even a Battle Royal and Zombies mode since the OG Modern Warfare.

I'm not saying Crackdown 3 isn't better at some things than Crackdown 1. And I'm not even saying all the previously mentioned games have "completely reinvented themselves. But all of those games significantly improved themselves in the past 10 years in different ways.

Crackdown 3 pretty much feels like Crackdown 1 with slightly better platforming and below par graphics.

Sorry, missed this post for some reason.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 are constantly criticized for letting go of a lot of the RPG stuff in favor of action, Call of Duty I'll admit I don't play regularly enough to know. You're right about the other examples, except for Mario since Galaxy 2 does exist and was also criticized for not changing enough.

But the thing is, none of the things you listed needed 10 years of "game design evolution" to reach, they were just part of their vision for what a sequel should be and some feedback from the previous game (which in Crackdown's case was literally "make it more like 1 instead of 2", from what I've seen). If the complaint was just "it doesn't change enough, as I think sequels should" I would totally see it, makes perfect sense to me, but when you throw the age or generation that design came from into the mix, then you completely lose me. Mass Effect 2 is a 2010 game, right? 2010 didn't invent linear action games, it was just a shift in focus. It's actually my favorite in the series, but they were just doing something else, not something new.

Huge Uncharted fan, by the way, and I would consider Drake's Fortune to be at least in the top 3 for the franchise. Not a super popular opinion, though, for sure. The mechanical adjustments 2 made were obviously for the better, but when you just throw that in the original like they did with the Remaster, it easily trade blows with 2, as far as I'm concerned. The more consistent setting and a slightly bigger focus on exploration was very cool, and I still think it's probably the strongest story in the series, even including the 2 PS4 titles.

Agreed about the graphics not being "great", though I do think the SSR specifically is probably the best I've seen. Can't comment on HDR, don't have a screen that supports it.

So, "not ambitious enough for a sequel"? Sure, I can see that. "Not ambitious enough for current gen" still confuses me. I used the Mafia III example, and another one would be Gravity Rush. It lacks the direct parallel of doing side activities to unlock bosses, but it's also full of poor mission design that all feel like fetch quests, but is saved by a more intricate movement system. Gravity Rush 2 was indeed criticized a lot for this, just like Mafia III, but it also never got criticism for not belonging to this generation, people were easily able to separate not liking a game, or even thinking the design is poor, from the year it was released in. And just like Mafia III, it has a lot more focus on story and it's prettier than Crackdown 3.

And to go back to Uncharted for a bit, when you look at the generational leap it had, aside from fidelity, it's nothing that needed the 9 years from Drake's Fortune to A Thief's End to be invented. The gunplay is leagues better than what we had in the series before, but the series had pretty weak gunplay, The Last of Us was WAY better in that regard, and I personally think it's still slightly better than Uncharted 4, though understandably so due to the slower pace. The animations are superb, but again, that's just the studio evolving, not the whole industry, look at how Nate skates on the floor in Uncharted 3, I'm pretty sure you can find games that came out up to 2011 with good animations. "Wide-linear" as a buzzword began this generation, but games that aren't FFXIII-linear but also not open world are also nothing new, remember this iconic image?

e7xGn.jpg

No one ever called the one on the left an "open world". Last gen the most famous example would probably be Dark Souls. The hardware allowed them to go bigger in scope without losing fidelity, sure, but that's not exactly an evolution in game design.

So what exactly even is an evolution in game design brought with the change from PS3 to PS4 that makes anything designed like a PS3 game to feel obsolete, unworthy of being released in 2019? From Software fans are eagerly anticipating Sekiro next month and almost everyone is just hoping the level design can match 2011's Dark Souls 1 in non-linearity and world complexity. No one wants the world design of Dark Souls III, brought to us by the power of current gen and 5 years of constant game design evolution. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

This ended up way longer than I expected, I'm really sorry. Also know that I'm not directing all of that to you in particular, it's just an interesting recurring discussion about this title and you seem willing to discuss it in more depth and in a calm way that we don't see everywhere when it comes to this title, from both sides, really.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
11 hours in, only boss left
I'm about 7 hours in. I wasn't loving the melee but it's great now it's leveled up. I'm getting into the driving now. This game is the gift that keeps on giving!
This. The starting 3 hit combo looked pretty stiff. But man the upgraded ground punch and charged punch feel pretty pretty weighty.
Pretty sure the effective range increases with strength levels too. I can ground punch a very large area as of Lv 5 now.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder if the game would have been better reviewed if they let you experience using a level 4 or 5 agent for a bit before some story element came along and knocked you back down to level 0. First impressions may improve, too. Give them a taste of what's to come. I know some games have done this in the past, but I can't remember which ones at the moment.

Then again, it could just lead to a whole lot of "aww man this sucks, make him strong again!" when you get knocked back to level 0. :)

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what exactly even is an evolution in game design brought with the change from PS3 to PS4 that makes anything designed like a PS3 game to feel obsolete, unworthy of being released in 2019? From Software fans are eagerly anticipating Sekiro next month and almost everyone is just hoping the level design can match 2011's Dark Souls 1 in non-linearity and world complexity. No one wants the world design of Dark Souls III, brought to us by the power of current gen and 5 years of constant game design evolution. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

This ended up way longer than I expected, I'm really sorry. Also know that I'm not directing all of that to you in particular, it's just an interesting recurring discussion about this title and you seem willing to discuss it in more depth and in a calm way that we don't see everywhere when it comes to this title, from both sides, really.

You know, the more I think about it I think C3 feels like a last generation game because of it's presentation. I think games have become more of this big spectacle with huge set pieces, generation defining graphics and crazy customization to your character either through appearance or skills. Crackdown 3 seems like it wasn't interested in doing any of those things. And I think that makes it feel like I game I played in high school more than a game I play today where I have different expectations. So I could just be viewing this in a way that is showing my bias in what I expect of games today. Interesting.

And hey man don't worry about a long post. I'm always happy to discuss something with someone who wants to make arguments based on reason rather than calling me a name or a fanboy or some such nonsense. Cheers.

Oct 25, 2017
Among those games the only one I've played myself (can't bring myself to begin RDR yet) is HZD. Of course it looks and plays great, but it has far less "interactive" environments. Yes, you can climb specific areas but they are far more pre-defined than in Crackdown.

I did watch my nephew play Just Cause 4 over Christmas, and to be honest I though it looked terrible in general... not just compared to Crackdown 3.

Horizon's combat is so damn good, though. It really surprised me just how much I enjoyed that game, played it last December and had an amazing time. One of my favorite games played in 2018, for sure.

Wait, what? Straight up?

And as someone basically new to Crackdown, air dash seems like a really big deal, can't imagine playing without it. Not trying to paint it as more than it is or anything, just surprised the originals didn't have that, seems like such a natural and integral part of the game. Good on them for adding it, even while going for a "safe" sequel.

Hey, guys!! I just figured out a pro-tip! (You all probably know this, but I didn't, so I'm sharing.) I just tested it, and you can survive a fall from any height if you use the ground-pound. Just hold it all the way to the ground, and you'll auto-smash. I just jumped off the tallest building in the game, held B all the way down, and took zero damage! It's great!

Didn't even know you could die from fall damage!

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I love the fact that there are 5 discussions about CD3 on the front page. Just goes to show if the game really sucked not so many people would be disagreeing with it.

I am really enjoying it, and I took think gravity should get fucked.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Didn't even know you could die from fall damage!
Oh you, you can easily die from some of the tallest buildings (and even some other areas). It probably depends on how punchy you are, though, since I'm sure toughness figures into it.

The guy who talks to you will even warn/taunt you. "Gravity will get us all, Agent." "It's a long way down!"

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Gbraga Level 6 agility doesn't allow you to fly, but close. Imagine you're behind a monorail station in the water, you can jump from the water to on top of the rail lines.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, the more I think about it I think C3 feels like a last generation game because of it's presentation. I think games have become more of this big spectacle with huge set pieces, generation defining graphics and crazy customization to your character either through appearance or skills. Crackdown 3 seems like it wasn't interested in doing any of those things. And I think that makes it feel like I game I played in high school more than a game I play today where I have different expectations. So I could just be viewing this in a way that is showing my bias in what I expect of games today. Interesting.

And hey man don't worry about a long post. I'm always happy to discuss something with someone who wants to make arguments based on reason rather than calling me a name or a fanboy or some such nonsense. Cheers.

And that IS important! Don't get me wrong, the reason why the "last gen" comments bother me isn't because it's unfair to Crackdown 3, it's because it's unfair to last gen games! Uncharted 2 and 3 are still incredible when it comes to presentation, every time I play that sinking ship setpiece in the remaster of 3 I keep thinking "how the fuck did that run on the PS3?", it's such an incredible accomplishment, even if the game as a whole has its share of issues.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I've died despite trying to ground pound from a high distance. Perhaps I hit B too late in the fall? I don't think it even let me initiate the ground pound.

So if you fall from a very tall building, hit ground pound (B) right away? Don't wait or it might not let you.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
I do not want to defend this game. And that is because I want MS to fully understand why (the majority of) people are complaining. I do not think it is 100% directed at this game in particular, but with Xbox Game Studios ~formerly Microsoft Studios, Microsoft Game Studios, and Microsoft Games. Very Shakespearean, because my opinions of this company has yet to change with their name~.

This game is mindless fun. There is value in that. I believe a lot of people will like this game. If you enjoyed Sea of Thieves, and if you enjoyed State of Decay 2, then you will probably enjoy this game. Having said that ~you can tell where I am going with this~ if that is all you are releasing, then you are going to have a problem. MS will continue to receive unanimously bad review scores. It not enough to publish AA games like these. There needs to be AAA filler somewhere in between.

~Right now is when Xbox users will bring up FH4. I am sorry, but annual franchise-fatigue and public perception on racing and sports games are not going to swing MS's negative zeitgeist in a positive direction. I do not make up the rules, as unfair as it sounds, but the public does not care. Anyway...~

I think that is why people are ultimately disappointed in MS's recent output. In the same year Xbox fans got Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2, PlayStation fans got two GOTY nominees in Marvel's Spider-Man and God of War. Those are two AAA-tier games. People are starving for those types of experiences on this platform, but all they are getting is AA at best. There is nothing inherently wrong with AA, but as much as I like dessert, I will become ill if I eat too much of it. Excuses for Xbox cannot change what has happened for the past 3 years. It is really bad. And this has become the boiling point with the public's frustration.

~Also, I feel like we all need to sit down with MS and tell them to just stop with marketing AA games as AAA, and then un-apologetically rebrand your AAA games to AAAA. There's no such thing as 4A. JUST STOP. You are embarrassing yourself.~

For Crackdown 3, I would like to share my experience with it so far.
----------
I have already summed this up as being mindless fun, and I stand by that. There is a lot Sumo Digital has done right. There is a lot it has done okay. And there is very little that it has done bad. Ultimately, I hope MS does not abandon this franchise. I would like to see more in this universe.

Movement: It is really, really good. It is true when people say this is as much of a platformer as it is an shooter. The developers understood that about this franchise, and they have done a commendable job making it work. Sure, there is limited variation in a character's animation, but it does not interfere with your movement. You can predict the exact outcomes of your actions. If you want to jump, then you know with 100% certainty how high you can jump and for how far. Every single time. If you cannot get to a certain platform, it is because you are not good enough, not because you are fighting with the controls. It all feels good. Nothing about the platforming is automatic. It is not supposed to feel easy like Spider-Man. You need to jump and climb your way to get anywhere. Now, about the animations in general, some have commented on the floatiness to the jumping. I know looks awkward when watching a video, but it feels natural when you actually play it. I would not have it any other way. Regardless, everything feels intentional. This is how Crackdown should feel and I appreciate Phil Spencer for making sure the developers got this right at least.

Score: B+

EXPERT TIP: Roll into the Launch Pad and you will slingshot for 4-5 blocks. You can reach anywhere with this technique. Do this as often as generated.

Combat: Lock-on is necessary. There is no other way to play this game ~at least for the console. Maybe the developers should have given mouse and keyboard users a free aiming option, but even so I do not think it is necessary~. Everything is fluid, and aiming and shooting can be done very quickly. It pairs well with the platforming. I can jump, air dash, aim, shoot, throw a grenade, air dash again, switch weapons, shoot another target 180 degrees above and behind me, double jump, shoot a random car for extra mayhem, perform a triple jump, and then ground pound into a group of enemies. You cannot do this without lock-on if you are playing with a controller. Overall, it reminds me of the latest DOOM. There is a rhythm to the madness. You feel like a super hero at all times and nothing seems impossible.

I have some complaints about combat in general. First, I do not think the developers should have limited us to just 3 weapons. I think we should have all weapons available to us at all times. In doing so, we are not limited to what kind of destruction we can create. The weapons I like to use are not ideal for every scenario, which forces me to carry a weapon that is, the Pulse Beam. There are cooler weapons I would like to carry, but I cannot justify wasting a weapon slot on it. The Graviton Tether or Oblivion for example. A weapon wheel that slows down time when using it would be a good compromise. This would work, but only if they fix my second complaint.

There is just too many weapons. Also, there are some weapons that suck. Just get rid of them. Additionally, more enemies should be resistant (or better resistant) to certain weapon types. This will force us to switch our weapons from time to time to avoid the inevitable monotony of shooting. That is just my preference, but I think it is something to consider.

Lastly, and more importantly, I do not care for aiming at certain body parts. And I say that because I would rather have the ability to switch to another enemy while we are shooting. And the only way to do that is freeing up the right stick, which is being used by this unnecessary body part aiming skill. It is a relic of the original Crackdown, which is probably the only reason why it is still in this sequel. But it either useless or at worst not utilized properly when designing fire fights or enemy types. Like I said, I would rather be able to switch to another enemy more practically than to stop aiming and shooting, center the desired enemy I want to kill, and then proceed to aim and shoot again. It takes too long and goes against the fluidity and quickness that makes this combat great.

What brings the score down for me are the boss encounters. I think the developers could have spent more time creating better arenas in which to fight these bosses. Half this game is about platforming and it is not implemented at all when fighting these bosses. There is platforming between boss stages, or to just get to the boss, but I wanted more. The highlight for me would be Liv Soreensen in the air craft. It can follow you through the city, so you are able to traverse through, around, or over buildings to take her out. That was fun.

Score: C

The World: This is the more underappreciated part of the game. When people say this looks like a last-gen game, they are being disingenuous. This game is beautiful and I think Digital Foundry sums it up best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lks6E81EWE. It is not as if Sumo Digital forgot what normal mapping or tesselation are. It is aware of these modern techniques. But I believe this boxy-like world is a deliberate design choice above anything else. I think the developers want you to see the world at a glance and know exactly what you can jump to and what you can climb on. You can plan out your approach without much thought. It becomes second nature, as if you are a high-level Tetris player. I do not think the developers get enough credit to this part of the game. Above all else, this game does everything it can to not impede your forward momentum. That ideology is there in the combat, it is there in the movement, and it is there in the world design.

I am sure there are constraints to number of polygons they can use. If you think about it, they have to get this running on the original Xbox One. And that just is made up of two AA batteries taped together to an old Tamogotchi. I am sure they could have spent more time on creating more believable citizens. But that is superfluous to the core aspects of the game. A living, believable world does not change what makes Crackdown unique and I think we are putting too much emphasis on what it does poorly over what it does well. At the end of the day, they created a video game world that can be rendered up to 4K at a stable 30 fps. The things it has implemented however, like AA, SSR, AF, LOD, HDR, etc., are all top-notch. I know that does not sound like much, but I think it is.

~To be honest, I think we are part of the problem. We keep asking for more and more, and this is how we end up with games like Just Cause 3 - an unstable mess that is not taking into account the hardware, for which it is being developed. There are not many open world games with this scope in size, so I am glad Crackdown 3 made the right compromises to realize its vision. Other games, like Grand Theft Auto, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Marvel's Spider-Man have to make compromises, and they are all wildly different approaches. I do not think Crackdown 3 would have been better if it were to copy one of these.~

Score: B-

Driving: This is the worst aspect of the game. I do not understand how a company that has experience in making cart racers can make such a extremely frustrating experience. I will try to describe this as positively as I can. If you want to know what Hell will be like, just try to get a gold in one of these timed races. Every car feels like it is floating 4 inches off the ground, only until you are coming out of a turn, where, like clockwork, your car's tires gain traction for the first time and then decide it wants to drive 90 degrees the opposite direction where you want to go. That is without obstacles in your way. That is your best-case scenario. But there are obstacles, and they are everywhere. It does not matter if it is a blade of grass, the curb of a sidewalk, the side-view mirror of a parked car. Whatever you touch will pinball you every direction possible but straight. And no matter what you do, no matter where you are, you will end up in a pool of water. I do not know how that is possible, but every car I drive inevitably ends up in the sinking grave it has earned. And let's not forget that enemies still spawn on you as you are trying to complete these racing trials. So, the more often you drive and fail, the harder the course gets. This part of the game is such an afterthought it makes me wonder why they have it in here in the first place. If you are not going to put in the effort then just do not do it ~which I will talk about more later on~. And whoever thought having ROLL, PITCH, and YAW all on the same stick should be shot dead in the street.

Score: F^(F*F)

Overall (Next-Gen) Polish: This is what everyone is hung up on, so I would like to comment on it ~this won't be about my feelings towards modern video games in general and how control is slowly being taken away from us as gamers. Clearly I am in the minority. Anyway...~. Most AAA games nowadays succeed in rewarding the player for doing mundane actions. Let's face it, all video games are repetitive. What is important is if the game can mask the repetition or make the repetition enjoyable. Crackdown does nothing in this regard. When I look back at Spider-Man, I am reminded that you are constantly being rewarded with Peter Parker doing cool, acrobatic stunts in high-quality video. This happens at regular intervals. It occurs between missions, during missions, and even between phases of a boss battle. This helps mask the fact that when you do control Spider-Man, you are limited in what can be done ~seriously, look no further than the stunt "skill" you can unlock while swinging. That is the biggest waste of a skill point ever. Sorry I'm derailing my own review. Anyway...~. It is a sign of AAA quality and polish. This is what is lacking in Crackdown 3. Nothing in this game shows you that your character can be more than what you are capable of doing.

Never mind the lack of cut-scenes. Seriously, the beginning cut-scene looked amazing, and you never see something like this again during your time playing the game. What should have been more excuses to watch the beautiful Terry Crews in 4K video, turned into art work stills that looked like they were pulled from a story board meeting. For the vast majority of players, whether knowingly or subconsciously, they see it as laziness.

Most importantly is story. It matters so much this generation. And you knew MS did not understand this from the start of development. Just look back at all the interview and promotional materials on this game. Whenever an interviewer asked them why people should play this game, MS always mimicked the same line, "It's about fun!" Sorry, MS, that is not how you market games anymore.

The only thing that should come out of your mouth when marketing is an emphasis on story. This is what you should be saying for every game you release from here on out: "Why are we making this game? Why should gamers play it? Because we have a great story to tell. With exceptional character development that will resonate with our fans." A truly fun game can market itself. There is no need to do this. So, this part of the development is unacceptable, especially if MS wants to spout this as a AAA game. If you want to call something AAA, then you need to put in the effort into making it one, and they failed. Otherwise, you have to do a better job at tempering expectations. Sort of how Obsidian is doing with The Outer Worlds. There's no shame in calling a game AA. Although, my advice would be to just budget all of your games for mo-cap equipment, quality actors, expert cinematographers, and professional writers.

Ultimately, I feel bad for MS. Apparently, no one has told them these types of games will not achieve massive success like they have in the past. It is not that the industry has moved on, they are just providing gamers with better quality on top of solid gameplay. So, I am here to let the company know, "Hey MS, the industry has matured improved and you need to improve with it." Let's hope this has become the last learning experience for them.

Score: D
I have some more impressions of Crackdown 3 that I feel gets overlooked sometimes in modern video games. Maybe I am just an old man...

Progression: I hate how modern video games handle progression. Many of our favorite games are implementing RPG-like elements to their systems. But, it is done incorrectly. One thing that immediately comes to mind are Skill Trees. These games do not need Skill Trees. Why? Because by the end of the game you have unlocked everything and that goes entirely against the point of a Skill Tree! You are not supposed to unlock everything. The Skill Tree gives you different approaches to game play and it is up to you to decide how you want to play. Diablo does this well. Borderlands does this well. Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, etc. all do it poorly. I guess it allows the first few hours of the game to be tailored to "how you want to play", but really, there are better ways to handle this. Which is where Crackdown 3 comes in. This game incorporates progression better than most games. The more you use a skill, the better you get in it. It is that simple. It is done so well, it gets overlooked or worse dismissed. The more agility orbs you collect, your range of movement improves, which then allows you to collect more orbs. It is the perfect form of gate keeping.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So, can you take your souped up agent, and start a new play through with him/her?

The campaign is pretty god damn addictive.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I have some more impressions of Crackdown 3 that I feel gets overlooked sometimes in modern video games. Maybe I am just an old man...

Progression: I hate how modern video games handle progression. Many of our favorite games are implementing RPG-like elements to their systems. But, it is done incorrectly. One thing that immediately comes to mind are Skill Trees. These games do not need Skill Trees. Why? Because by the end of the game you have unlocked everything and that goes entirely against the point of a Skill Tree! You are not supposed to unlock everything. The Skill Tree gives you different approaches to game play and it is up to you to decide how you want to play. Diablo does this well. Borderlands does this well. Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, etc. all do it poorly. I guess it allows the first few hours of the game to be tailored to "how you want to play", but really, there are better ways to handle this. Which is where Crackdown 3 comes in. This game incorporates progression better than most games. The more you use a skill, the better you get in it. It is that simple. It is done so well, it gets overlooked or worse dismissed. The more agility orbs you collect, your range of movement improves, which then allows you to collect more orbs. It is the perfect form of gate keeping.

Great articulation of the simplicity and brilliance of this system. Choosing what abilities you get first when you'll really end up with all of them isn't really a "skill tree," so why give the illusion of a skill tree?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is exactly what Quantum Break suffered from by having a skill tree. However in QB's case since it was a linear game, they should've gradually automatically upgraded your character each level with a specific skill and designed the levels, puzzles, and enemy encounters around it for a more dynamic experience that actually taught you the importance of each skill and would also enhance the story and development of your character as he got more powerful.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Just know that going from Level 5 to Level 6 is a slog. I just beat the game and have 100% of all the stuff to do (like monkey barrels, prisons, etc.) except for two towers. I'm at 5.47. For the last two hours, I've been collecting green orbs and doing rooftop races. I started that around 5.28.

edit: Small update: Just found several more green orbs and went from 5.47 to...5.47. D':
Damn, maybe I should switch to an agent with +10% agility bonus? But I don't wanna leave Terry behind. :(

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the majority of the people in this thread are enjoying the game. It's a blast and looks great on PC. I honestly feel like this game was supposed to live up to some pretty misguided expectations for a whole score of people, judging by the reviews out there.

Unlovedjew

Oct 26, 2017
just wanted to come in and say that im loving this game and playing something with 2007 gameplay sensibilities in 2019 is super refreshing. Theres next to no down time and i love it

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
So it is very easy to rush the final boss when you're agility 6 when starting a new game. Basically skipped everything but the final 2 rooms. This should make getting the legendary achievement quite easy as long as you can beat the final boss

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
So it is very easy to rush the final boss when you're agility 6 when starting a new game. Basically skipped everything but the final 2 rooms. This should make getting the legendary achievement quite easy as long as you can beat the final boss
Man, I am just slowly crawling towards 6. It feels like the worst, unless I'm missing something.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you have lots of foot soldiers closing in on you and you just start one punching goons into next week..... it is ridiculously satisfying.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I am just slowly crawling towards 6. It feels like the worst, unless I'm missing something.

If possible, utilize the glitch that lets you get lots of easy agility XP by picking a foot race you haven't done yet, setting a Gold time, and then replaying the race repeatedly without beating your best time. For some reason, it keeps giving you XP. I got to Level 6 pretty easily with this trick.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Are you unaware of the changes they made to Crackdown 3?

And the agent in Crackdown has new moves too.
Air dash
Double air dash
Triple jump
Scrambling up walls
Air dash actually works as a wall run, too.
Flying (level 6)
A flying punch (not the ground pound)
Regenerating ammo (level 6)
A health grenade
An item duplication gadget
A black hole grenade
A black hole gun
A tether gun
Something like 15 new other weapons

The game also has:
3 factions that individually respond to aggression
A HUGE increase in the variety of enemies. Two or 3 different kinds of Mechs, in addition to the different boss mechs.
If you get aggressive enough with the enemies, the city will go into lockdowns where you have to defeat a certain number of enemies before they will leave you alone. These battles get INSANE.

This is easily on par with the changes from sequel to sequel in those other games.

You forgot one move I think.
When you're hanging off a ledge and you hold up, the game will automatically jump for you. That can be rather helpful too all things considered (of course, that's if your agility is high enough).

But yeah. While things do feel recycled, there were still plenty of things done with the game that I did come to enjoy. I forgot what Crackdown 2 had (a glide or something?), but the air dashes are so much better. Especially when you can airdash while holding a car so that you can position yourself for the stunt rings easier.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
If possible, utilize the glitch that lets you get lots of easy agility XP by picking a foot race you haven't done yet, setting a Gold time, and then replaying the race repeatedly without beating your best time. For some reason, it keeps giving you XP. I got to Level 6 pretty easily with this trick.
I was repeating races last night and beating the time or not, I was getting orbs at the end of the race.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who else is in the Level 6 agility club?

Being able to basically fly is such a game changer, it makes mobility totally different and better, not to mention combat being amazing since you can fly way above everyone while raining hell down on them.

Just got my firearms to Level 6 too and now working on strength and explosives to level 6 as well (both are about 70% there).

Driving is of course only at Level 2 because I don't want to drive, I want to flyyyyyy. I will likely max that out last and do all the races and rings along with it. Once I get everything to max level 6 I will bring my fully maxed Agent into a brand new world.

One thing that has been bothering me is the location of the final agility races, I thought I did them all but I am missing either 1 or 2 based on the achievement. Any help?

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
What's the most efficient way to get level 6 agility? I've made gold on all of the rooftop races and collected around 500-550 agility orbs and I'm sitting around 5.70 or something in agility.

I'm honestly surprised to see so many people with low driving numbers. The races — while annoying at times with bad AI spawns — were pretty fun. I made gold on all of them and used the tank mode of the Agency vehicle to blast fools to get easy driving points. That tank comes in handy during lockdowns.

One thing that has been bothering me is the location of the final agility races, I thought I did them all but I am missing either 1 or 2 based on the achievement. Any help?
The one that I had the hardest time finding was up almost at the top of the Science Complex tower. It was almost impossible to find and didn't show up on the map until I started exploring up there.