• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect to play much of Crackdown 3, especially after the first hour which didn't really impress, but now that I'm a few hours in I'm absolutely hooked. I love the gameplay loop, the platforming is getting to be lots of fun now that I'm level 3 in that area, and the weapons are just a blast so far!
I had the exact same experience. The game doesn't grab you very well at the beginning so I didn't initially play it long, but after coming back it's a really good. I got overly excited when pressing Y after getting the agency car and Crews power ejected out.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I was thinking more about how many npcs are walking around and how is traffic. I have watched videos but I never managed to get a good feel of how "lived on" the city looked like. I don't really need the game to feel like RDR2's world, if you know what I mean.

2$ ? Where?
tons of pedestrians, and traffic that blissfully tries to not be in your way (i feel burned by traffic in gta5 )

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I'm confused about orbs.

I'm level 5 agility with the small number 13. I had assumed throughout the game that the small number went up every orb I collected by one

But it's been stuck at 13 and I've just collected about 6-7 more

In what increments does this go up? I want to get to 6 (which I understand is max) before I finish the last bosses

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I've finished the game now and as someone who didn't really like Crackdown 1 much, this really exceeded my expectations. All meta-commentary about Microsoft first party and the development hell this game went through aside, what's here is extremely enjoyable. I like games like Infamous, Sunset Overdrive and Spider-Man and this comfortably sits alongside them as power fantasy games that you can lose yourself in for several hours without seeing the time pass. I understand why it got the review scores it did but for me this is a 4/5. I know it's unlikely but I would love some single player expansions along with an even more prominent role for Terry as part of the narrative.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused about orbs.

I'm level 5 agility with the small number 13. I had assumed throughout the game that the small number went up every orb I collected by one

In what increments does this go up? I want to get to 6 (which I understand is max) before I finish the last bosses

The last level from 5-6 is REALLLLYYY slow for all abilities, it seems extra slow for agility since you can only increase it with orbs and races. Just keep at it!

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I'm confused about orbs.

Yeah I was talking about this earlier in the thread. Level 5 to level 6 is a very long, slow creep. You just gotta get more orbs (or re-do rooftop races).

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
2 questions:

1) How big is the radius for some of the areas that you attack (Metro Station, Khan Machinary, etc.) It seems like if you attack one of these areas, start taking heavy damage and say, retreat to a building across the street, and you come back to it, do all the enemies reset? It seems like that happened a couple of times so far at least.

2) Is there actually any penalty for dying? Orb / ability loss?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
There is a slight penalty when you die. I'm pretty sure you can see orblets escaping your body. And you can definitely see the numbers drop.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded the Fun Pack but I don't have access to the quack rocket is it only available to Terry Crews character?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I downloaded the Fun Pack but I don't have access to the quack rocket is it only available to Terry Crews character?

Go all the way over to the left in the guns list. Then scroll down all the way. It should be there. It doesn't show up if you are in any column other than that first column before you scroll down.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So if I want to bump my agility is it best to just switch my guy to one with the 10% bonus? I have lots more to do, but moving 5-> 6 is so slow.

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty stupid that after eliminating Quist I can still get level 3 logistics threat and even with audio that "Quist is sending drones". Not a big deal but stupid.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
So how exactly do lockdowns and stuff happen? I haven't really been doing actual objectives much but I do kill baddies here and there all the time.

In one of the two previous games they patched the orb sounds to be louder when you got down to a small number left. But there was no per-district count of remaining orbs. The orb challenge definitely isn't as hard as it used to be. It literally took me 10 years to find my last one from Crackdown 1. :P

Ok, I may have taken some time off in between.
Ah, I see. Gotta say, the per-district count should actually make this tolerable.
That makes sense, thank you
You don't lose agility stats though.

Wow. That actually makes a great case for the vehicle transformation they have implemented for this game. Still miss the way it was done in the first game though. Next game, do both!

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The map badly needs a "stuff you haven't done yet" filter. I have 1 agent DNA, 1 gadget, 1 industrial objective and a couple of intels left and I can't for the life of me find where they are.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
So... when you invite a player, you are inviting them into your already-existing single player campaign?
Jep

Would this mean the host gets the benefit & progress of having a guest player in their main campaign, but the guest player makes no lasting progress of their own at all?
Well, the joining player levels up his agent, gets a copy of the host's world state, plus it's pretty easy replaying missions you already know in your own world (apart from a few hard boss battles). Sounds a lot like how old school co-op campaigns work, with some extra bonuses.

I'm liking the game a lot (never played the earlier Crackdowns), but the online aspects are just confusing. I just saw in that second Dev Update that it will be another 2-3 weeks 'til you can form your own party in Wrecking Zone, btw.
Yeah online needs a bit more time in the oven - but it's very reassuring the devs are actively communicating and announcing dates and content for updates regularly.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still enjoying it a lot with a friend in co op. Three more bosses to go and we can finish it.

There are just things I don't get and I find very unfortunate

Why can't we access a vehicle together? You got some of those vehicles with turrets, ideal for two players. Missed opportunity here.

Why are almost all bosses inside a mech? Come on now. I've said it before but man, the bosses really could have used some variety for damn sure.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the campaign. The game has short comings, obviously, but overall I thought it was a solid experience. Hope they keep the franchise going.

Also, add more propaganda towers.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still enjoying it a lot with a friend in co op. Three more bosses to go and we can finish it.

There are just things I don't get and I find very unfortunate

Why can't we access a vehicle together? You got some of those vehicles with turrets, ideal for two players. Missed opportunity here.

Why are almost all bosses inside a mech? Come on now. I've said it before but man, the bosses really could have used some variety for damn sure.

They probably felt they needed a way to close the power gap between the superpowered agent and the bosses.

louis89

Jun 11, 2018
Tokyo
I really hope its not the end of Crackdown. It is something uniquely brilliant, its just awfully mismanaged. Someone needs to take the reigns of the franchise and have a vision.

Agreed. My ideal timeline would've been this:

2007: Crackdown 1 is released
2010: The Crackdown 3 we're playing now is released on the 360, and it's called Crackdown 2. It gets good reviews and sales with no "last gen" or "dated" complaints.
~2016: A true, current gen Crackdown 3 with Spiderman level graphics with a realistic, life-filled city that resembles the city in the first reveal trailer is released, with no jankiness, believable physics, fluid animations, varied missions, imaginative bosses, solid driving etc., to 9/10 reviews:

crackdown_3_rumours_features_release_date_-_3.png
crackdown-3-first-look-trailer.jpg

Just imagine exploring that...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's the track that plays when you fight the Russian chick? It's so good.

Edit: It's Liv Sorensen.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing criticisms about the game's length and fro be honest I don't get it. Im at 5 hours now and I feel like so far it's been a perfect length and I assume I'll finish around 6-7. I can't inagine it being a 20 hour game and that's not a bad thing. I feel like I've been playing and enjoying it for a while now

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
Can faction enemies still appear if you've cleared out all of their operations and bosses? I'm missing the achievement for shooting a robot's head and having it kill another enemy, but I've cleared them all out now.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Can faction enemies still appear if you've cleared out all of their operations and bosses? I'm missing the achievement for shooting a robot's head and having it kill another enemy, but I've cleared them all out now.

Echo will point out a convoy every now and then, you'll get robots galore if you attack it.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
The map badly needs a "stuff you haven't done yet" filter. I have 1 agent DNA, 1 gadget, 1 industrial objective and a couple of intels left and I can't for the life of me find where they are.
The map needs an overhaul for everything.
Give me a check mark or something, or turn it all blue when I complete things. For some reason street races and rooftop races stay white even though you've gotten gold. Same with Agent DNA

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I wrote this to be it's own thread but it's really not necessary at this point. Thought people might like some of the info so gonna put it here - though its mostly just stream of consciousness with no real editing.

------

Current playtime and progression:

~12h playtime on agent difficulty

All campaign stuff done except last boss. Finishing collecting orbs & races

Played on PC 1080p60 & x1x 4k30 on a 1440p monitor, regular and elite controller

Campaign:

The campaign structure is mostly completely freeform. This means, as I understand it, that if you can figure out how, you can go right to the last boss. For those of us keeping track, this is similar to how Crackdown 1 (CD1) played out.

There is a very popular more recent game that pulls this off – Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

By almost necessity, having this structure means the game is very hands off on pushing a player to do anything. You scour the map looking for things to do and at some point beat the game.

Some people will absolutely despise this lack of structure, but I personally feel it makes the best open world gaming.

This also ties in to the depth of the…

Plot/Story:

There is an opening cinematic, and I will admit I was barely paying attention. Something about flying around with Terry and you get hit by some green stuff and die, but are brought back to life through some kind of tech.

As you travel around and complete activities, there are two NPCs who kind of narrate your actions and comment on what you do, similar to the original, and I felt this time it had a very Bastion vibe.

As you defeat bosses, graphic design strong cut-scenes play out to flesh out the repercussions of killing said boss.

I can safely say it's all irrelevant (at least to me), except when Terry yells out "fuck gravity". I get a smile every single time.

Really though, when you have a freeform campaign, telling a deep story is just not in the cards. I think it can be done, but it would be just a gigantic undertaking.

If you need a story to drive you to play more, this game will probably not be your bag.

Gameplay – Interactivity:

Crackdown's interactivity has three main components.

Jumping/Movement/Agility/Mobility
Shooting

And two not so main components.

Driving
Picking stuff up.

Jumping, and the modifiers to jumping, will be the main thing you do in this game. I will have to start the game over to properly asses how good the overall feel is at the start versus near the end, but I will come out and say it – the mobility/accuracy/amount of control you have for a 3rd person 3D action game is probably now my favorite, edging out my previous favorite, Re-Core (I have been told there may be some shared DNA between the games so the similarity in controls shouldn't be all that surprising).

You start with a jump, a dodge roll when on the ground, and a directional dash (that loses some of your height) that also serves as an air dodge.

Shooting can be hip-fire, but that is largely useless except for a few weapons. Most of the time you will be doing a lock-on on an enemy and using movement as your defense.

The lock on is a good solution to the problem of controller + huge amounts of movement, and movement being one of your only defenses. If the gameplay got slowed down a lot (say, gears or halo speed), going more traditional routes would fare well, but I feel it keeps the speed of everything is pretty nicely paced. People watching or reading about the lock-on might be put off by the concept, but I think it still works in the context of everything.

There is also the ability, once you are locked on, to change what you are aiming at. So you can finesse a headshot, and also target legs etc. You can also take out tires or blow up gas tanks on cars.

Driving is a huge mixed bag. The oddest thing is it is entirely 100% an optional activity (unless for some reason you need it for the last boss). Driving itself is usually great. Cars are weighty, very arcady amounts of drift. One super appreciated thing is other non-aggressive cars usually actively want to not be in your way. I bring this up to contrast with something like GTA, where the timing of the lights and traffic are all spawned to be in your way to provide the challenge.

You can enter any of the cars littering the game world, or summon a transforming agency vehicle. The first one is for speed with a sideswipe attack, the second is a weird buggy that can climb walls and jump, and the 3rd is a tank. Once unlocked, you can instantly transform to any form. I found this useful for solving some of the puzzles for the car rings, where I would build up a lot of speed then transform into the buggy to get a jump off. Pretty neat! You can also use the buggy to get to some places your current agility level may not let you get to, which is also pretty neat. You can also pick up your transforming uber car to put it in position for a variety of things, also neat. And to top of this list of neat, you can eventually get an ability to eject yourself out of your car to a great height, kind of adding another jump to reach places.

But, there are some issues. The first is hitting anything not flat is way too unpredictable. That's basically what you are trying to avoid and your arch-nemesis in the timed races you can do. It also make using the buggy weird a lot of the time.

Second is summoning your car can put it out of reach. Its annoying mostly because the summoned car is on a cooldown and you cant (well I am pretty sure you cant) re-summon it if it exists.

The last thing to touch on here is picking stuff up. It also falls under the category of something you never have to do, but it is there, and is affected by your strength level.

You can pick objects up to throw at enemies, you can pick up cars to get them in position for stunt jumps, you can pick up boulders to sabotage some machinery.

Gameplay – Systems

Crackdown's systems are pretty basic – level your skills. This is done in a few ways.

Agility, which affects your jump and dash, is only leveled through picking up orbs and completing foot races.

Strength, Shooting, Explosives, and Driving are leveled up by doing those activities, as well as hidden orbs. In the case of driving, completing stunt jumps also raises your skill.

Leveling the skills gives new abilities or weapons, like more defense with strength, and things like double jumps and dashes with agility.

Gameplay – Activities

I will just list what there is to do:
  • Jump. Jump on all the things. It's all jumping puzzles, everywhere.
  • Collect Agility orbs
  • Collect Hidden orbs
  • Kill enemies
  • Collect intel points
  • Collect Agent DNA
  • A variety of points on the map that need to be taken over, which involve a mix of platforming and shooting
  • On the outside of the map, taking these points over will spawn a boss attached to those points
  • Kill bosses in the center of the map.
  • These bosses generally have a building they reside in that you have to fight up, which can be made more difficult if you have not taken care of the associated bosses on the outskirts
  • Destroy kiosks
  • Scale propaganda towers
  • Take over spawn points
  • Collect cars
  • Collect weapons
  • Collect gadgets

Pretty standard action game stuff. I have to say, not having fluffy language prodding you to do all the things, or have fetch quest to essentially do all the things… I think the point is there's no real quests or context to anything you do. And I think this leads to the campaign being pretty short, if you are ploughing through it.

I don't mind. Some will. Putting dressing on repetitive activities doesn't make them less repetitive to me, and I think actually ends up respecting my time.

Controls:

I find the controls tight, responsive, and honestly so good in general that it feels like they aren't there. Smart default things like putting jump and dash on the L3 and R3 so you can jump and turn without an elite controller are just brilliant. Jumping on rapidly moving platforms 100 yards away just works.

My only complaint is sometimes your character is too grabby on ledges and you get kind of stuck in place and… well I mostly died to this.

AI:

Everything shoots at you. That's about it. Drones are annoying because they will hover just out of range of where it's easy to look up. There's nothing here to write home about, but again, it's serviceable for what it's trying to be. If this was a slower paced game it would probably be unacceptable, but as is things don't last long enough to matter.

Graphics - technical:

The graphics are technically pretty good (see Digital Foundry for detail). But they are tied inexorably to…

Graphics - design

In my opinion, the game eschews over complexity/clutter/detail in 100% service to gameplay. When you are jumping around, it's always very easy to read every surface you can use, without ambiguity.

I think this tends to make the game look "simple". It's not a complaint to me, because it's on purpose and is effective, but it really looks meh if you take it all at face value.

Animation is a mixed bag, but to be honest, the transitions on your character are fast and reflect your actions instantly – so it may just be the speed of the game.

Explosions are very very fast (I sometimes want them to linger longer) but look good.

Other thoughts:

The game is fun, and gathering orbs is addicting (and towards the end has become challenging). Some things are not so exciting. There are to many bosses that are just a guy in an exosuit, making the bosses somewhat repetitive. The is a lot of repetition in almost everything, so while play sessions all start off fun, being able to take breaks definitely helps keep things feeling fresh. The map could also use some work – like color the icons of completed races and other completed objectives.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Just killed the final boss and only skipped one boss, got a little over 500 orbs. It's an excellent podcast game so I think I'll clean up the other objectives eventually. I got roughly half the achievements and probably put a dozen or so hours into it. Gives me the same satisfaction as Mad Max, which was another podcast game for me.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds to me like you aren't approaching the buildings properly tbh. Some buildings do have overhangs - which means you either need to upgrade your ability so that you can jump/thrust around the obstacles, or find another way up. If your missing 50% of your the ledges you try to climb, it's Definately user error - the game is rather generous when you get close to ledges.

Its definitely not user error, im a fan of the 1st and 2nd game and spent hundreds of hours traversing them and the climbing was fine. Sure Im overexaggerating with 50% but there are tons of instances in this game where i will be jumping straight up and he just doesnt grab a small window ledge that i can immediately grab onto below.

The traversal in this game just feels awful Compared to traversal in other "superpower sandbox" games (and general climbing in others games like assassins creed)

Sunset Overdrive, inFamous Second Son, Saints Row Gat out of Hell, assassins creed (climbing) shit... even Prototype 2... all felt better while running, jumping and climbing around the world.

In CD3 im constantly battling the jumping mechanics where the slightest overhang will stop me from jumping straight up, and i can never tell what i can actually grab on a building, sometimes a completely flat window ledge will be grabbable while other times ledges that jut out that look obviously grabbable... arent...

Ill post some video examples in a bit... but overall im extremely disappointed in this game.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I previously posted about my disappointment in several areas concerning this game. Due to that initial negative impression even when I tried playing it the first 2-3 hours I simply couldn't enjoy it. Now here I am 15 hours later...fuck me

Beat the campaign, got over 500 orbs, almost maxed out all skills, lowest currently is 5.75, completed all sub objectives for each boss, did all rooftop races and got all golds, haven't done much of the street races cause I tried one and it was horrible so my motivation to continue wasn't there, all in all I have had quite simply a fun chill time doing videogame shit in a videogame world.

I will always think of "what could have been" with this game because just under Gears of War this is my favorite Xbox IP. Those initial trailers showcasing the destruction aspect as well as how much better it looked graphically really set my expectations for a much different game from what we got. Luckily, even with so many open world games coming out in recent memory none quite have the gameplay loop of Crackdown, so even in its shortcomings it manages to be unique in that regards. There just isn't another game that captures that feeling of traversing an entire city causing absolute mayhem with the satisfaction of collecting orbs all at the same time.

With all that said I hope Microsoft green lights a fourth entry cause it deserves to be one of their top tier ip's alongside Gears and Forza, just for the love of god take a sensible approach with something you feel confident you can nail without it being dragged down by questionable tech. Its obvious this game was stuck in absolute development hell and it's a shame cause it deserves better treatment from Microsoft.

Now back to blow shit up with my friend who has never played a Crackdown game, he already has the itch to collect more orbs.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
With all that said I hope Microsoft green lights a fourth entry cause it deserves to be one of their top tier ip's alongside Gears and Forza, just for the love of god take a sensible approach with something you feel confident you can nail without it being dragged down by questionable tech.

For that to happen they need a studio to take care of it. Not that I would want such a studio to do only Crackdown, because that will tire out the franchise, but do one in between something else and it'll work out well. If it keeps having to jump between developers and only having a chance to get made, when someone capable of handling a big open world game is available for hire, it's difficult to see how they could ever make it a pillar franchise.

As for the tech I agree. And when they choose to attempt new tech, make sure it fits the franchise in question, instead of some other larger agenda.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Not every game needs an ambitious story, although this game certainly had a lot more story to it than Crackdown 1 did. Super Mario games don't generally have ambitious or well put together stories. But you don't go to Super Mario games expecting one, so you don't ding the game when it doesn't have one. Where's Tetris's story (minus 2 points!)? Why did Crackdown 3 get dinged for not having an ambitious story when it's clear that the game isn't intended to have or need one? Everyone knows this game is an open world sandbox where exploring, platforming, collecting and leveling up to cause even more chaos are the real goals. It doesn't have to be like all the Ubisoft open world cookie-cutter games (which I also love playing, btw...).

I just feel that a game that seems to be finding its audience didn't deserve to be panned with reviews well below the bell curve. I think that a lot of the game's political and historical baggage and expectations got tied to these reviews, and I don't think that they reviewed the game for what it actually is. I hope that this doesn't affect any possibility of a sequel for a game I hold near and dear. I realize that you may disagree with me, and that's fine.

I wish I could like this post. Perfectly said my man.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed the game yesterday. I had a literal and figurative blast. It feels like coming back to your home town after a long time being absent. It feels familiar but fresh. I can see the criticisms about it feeling "outdated", but I just feel right at home.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I just have one question before I eventually start playing the game. Are the orbs and other collectables marked on the map this time? I remember setting out to collect everything used to be annoying in the previous games.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance we're gonna get a big campaign expansion for this, right? It'll probably be something like keys to the city and multi player stuff?

It was really refreshing to play an open world game that didn't outstay it's welcome and left you wanting more, but it would be nice if more was coming.