• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Crackdown 3 is now the currently #1 Game Pass game. I think the chart is based on # downloads.

b4ad59c7-761d-47d8-9kbju2.jpeg

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Its definitely not user error, im a fan of the 1st and 2nd game and spent hundreds of hours traversing them and the climbing was fine. Sure Im overexaggerating with 50% but there are tons of instances in this game where i will be jumping straight up and he just doesnt grab a small window ledge that i can immediately grab onto below.

The traversal in this game just feels awful Compared to traversal in other "superpower sandbox" games (and general climbing in others games like assassins creed)

Sunset Overdrive, inFamous Second Son, Saints Row Gat out of Hell, assassins creed (climbing) shit... even Prototype 2... all felt better while running, jumping and climbing around the world.

In CD3 im constantly battling the jumping mechanics where the slightest overhang will stop me from jumping straight up, and i can never tell what i can actually grab on a building, sometimes a completely flat window ledge will be grabbable while other times ledges that jut out that look obviously grabbable... arent...

Ill post some video examples in a bit... but overall im extremely disappointed in this game.

All those games largely just do the traversing for you- fine games, but nothing I want out of a crackdown game which is more of a platformer.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but the issue your having seems so strange to me because the agent will clamber several extra feet to grab a ledge if your are just shy of reaching it.

Also, if you're climbing a sheer
Face, and the next level is withing your Agility range, you don't even have to press the jump bottom, you just push up on the analog stick, and he'll automatically jump and grab the next ledge. You have to manually jump if there is an obstacle that YOU have to platform around or if the next level is so high that it requires extra input from the user to cover the distance.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
There's no chance we're gonna get a big campaign expansion for this, right? It'll probably be something like keys to the city and multi player stuff?

It was really refreshing to play an open world game that didn't outstay it's welcome and left you wanting more, but it would be nice if more was coming.
If Microsoft is not going to make a fourth, a campaign expansion about the misterious terranova client that is teased many times in the game would be great. Please don't let this finish like Quantum Break.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I am in love with this game. It scratches an ancient, pure gamplay itch I didn't even know I had.
There's always another green orb on the horizon, or another rooftop race, or another thing you can do - quickly! Nothing is a long commitment in this game and that's great.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game is already £29.99 in the UK (SimplyGames). Can't remember the last time I saw a game drop so much in under a week.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft is not going to make a fourth, a campaign expansion about the misterious terranova client that is teased many times in the game would be great.

We need a Crackdown sequel at some point. Crackdown 3 proves how addictive the formula still is and with platforming that isn't automated or snaps/locks you into objects, a structure where you can challenge the final boss almost right away and few cutscenes or story interruptions (I would actually prefer even fewer here), it still feels like a completely unique proposition, even if other games have used similar elements seperately.

It's a franchise that's worth sticking with.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
We need a Crackdown sequel at some point. Crackdown 3 proves how addictive the formula still is and with platforming that isn't automated or snaps/locks you into objects, a structure where you can challenge the final boss right away and few cutscenes or story interruptions (I would actually prefer even fewer here), it still feels like a completely unique proposition, even if other games have used similar elements seperately.

It's a franchise that's worth sticking with.
I agree with you and I would love another Crackdown but I can see why maybe it won't return. It depends heavily on it's performance on game pass I guess.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I just have one question before I eventually start playing the game. Are the orbs and other collectables marked on the map this time? I remember setting out to collect everything used to be annoying in the previous games.
No markers for the orbs but there's an overview showing how many you have in a given district, which should help.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Crackdown 3 so much. Last night I got level 6 agility and it's a huge difference from 5. At this point, only have firearms to max out.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Completed this yesterday, and I'm having a similar experience that I did with the original game back in the day, in that It's left me wanting more. I think I'm going to scoop up some more orbs, finish all rooftop races, then I'm going to carry my agent over to a new world state.

I've honestly had a lot of fun with the game. Between this and Mutant Year Zero, I've been very happy with Game Pass.

I grabbed the free content pack, and it seems pretty neat. Certainly can't complain about the price.

I know it's probably lower on their priority list, but I do hope they add some QoL improvements to the map UI.

Last edited:

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying this game. Sure the graphics aren't great on my Xbox One but I can live with that.
Loving blowing shit up and hunting down orbs.
Just more Crackdown. I'm more than ok with that.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Completed this yesterday, and I'm having a similar experience that I did with the original game back in the day, in that It's left me wanting more. I think I'm going to scoop up some more orbs, finish all rooftop races, then I'm going to carry my agent over to a new world state.

If Microsoft don't make bc Crackdown 2 I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I put in about 8 hours, (6 on Tuesday night and 2 last night). I enjoyed my time with it. I'm nowhere near being done the game, but I'm done with it. It was fun, but it is sooo repetitive and, yeah I'm glad I tried it out. I don't feel like that was time wasted, but I also feel like it would have been money wasted if not for Game Pass, so yeah, perfect Game Pass game. Looking forward to trying out Alien Isolation next.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
the more vehicle races i do, the more i legitimately dont understand why theyre all two laps instead of just one. all it does is just increase the chance some random bullshit screws you over.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid fun with gadgets!

Ha! Loved it

I was expecting you too use the singularity gun at the end, but was happy with the finale nonetheless.

I had to make an emergency trip for work, so I brought my Xbox One X with me to play more Crackdown 3. Yeah, I am definitely having a lot of fun with the game. Similar to your video above, I spent about 20 minutes fending off a Level 3 wanted level; I was having a blast and felt no need to do anything else but fend off wave after wave.

Feb 15, 2018
Checked out the Tim Rogers Kotaku article earler today. Now i really want to play this. Guess i can wait until i have finished Gears Ultimate Edition and tried a bit of Forza Horizon 4 before dipping in.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Ha! Loved it

I was expecting you too use the singularity gun at the end, but was happy with the finale nonetheless.

I had to make an emergency trip for work, so I brought my Xbox One X with me to play more Crackdown 3. Yeah, I am definitely having a lot of fun with the game. Similar to your video above, I spent about 20 minutes fending off a Level 3 wanted level; I was having a blast and felt no need to do anything else but fend off wave after wave.
I was planning on using the singularity gun too! But yeah, the resulting explosion was nearly as good. I think I'll try again, though. ;-)

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played coop for the first time with a friend for about 3 hours last night. Overall we had fun but we also were introduced to a host of new issues neither of us experienced in single player. Multiple times we had audio cut out, and the physics were for the most part not working properly. It became a pain trying to do tedious things cause the game at random would fling our character or car, sometimes both, away from what we're doing causing frustration. Doing flips in the spider car was hilariously like a slideshow, and hit cars at full speed caused lag to happen where the enemy cars would just disappear upon impact then reappear when we stopped driving a few feet ahead.

Hopefully they can do something to help coop be a lot more stable cause even with the issues it was a fun time. With me being almost max level and him just starting out we were really tearing through the campaign.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
the more vehicle races i do, the more i legitimately dont understand why theyre all two laps instead of just one. all it does is just increase the chance some random bullshit screws you over.

It depends on the race. I would assume the reason for multiple laps, is so players can learn the track and race more confidently the second lap. It would be coll to have a few epic Rally type single lap races though.

I think some ome races would be way too short with only one lap though, and at least on Super Agent, some of the races even have three laps. I've enjoyed the racing quite a bit, so it felt about right to me, but you are right that the traffic can add some randomness to them.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
All those games largely just do the traversing for you- fine games, but nothing I want out of a crackdown game which is more of a platformer.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but the issue your having seems so strange to me because the agent will clamber several extra feet to grab a ledge if your are just shy of reaching it.

Also, if you're climbing a sheer
Face, and the next level is withing your Agility range, you don't even have to press the jump bottom, you just push up on the analog stick, and he'll automatically jump and grab the next ledge. You have to manually jump if there is an obstacle that YOU have to platform around or if the next level is so high that it requires extra input from the user to cover the distance.

I guess im just finding all the buggy areas then, because im constantly being stopped by invisible ledges when jumping up a sheer wall face, or he just doesnt grab the ledge, or has trouble jumping over small structures... i find myself constantly battling these small hiccups that should be smoother in a game that traversal plays an enormous part in. Heres just a couple examples of the many issues i have with climbing/jumping in this game... (and an example of other problems like freezing and stuttering)

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I guess im just finding all the buggy areas then, because im constantly being stopped by invisible ledges when jumping up a sheer wall face, or he just doesnt grab the ledge, or has trouble jumping over small structures... i find myself constantly battling these small hiccups that should be smoother in a game that traversal plays an enormous part in. Heres just a couple examples of the many issues i have with climbing/jumping in this game... (and an example of other problems like freezing and stuttering)

What platform are you playing on?

I never saw it freeze on my Xbox One X.

On the traversal, maybe I encountered stuff like this but just tried again immediately in a different way and it didn't even register? I can honestly say that I don't remember any of that happening to me.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
What platform are you playing on?

I never saw it freeze on my Xbox One X.

On the traversal, maybe I encountered stuff like this but just tried again immediately in a different way and it didn't even register? I can honestly say that I don't remember any of that happening to me.

I've had it freeze on the One X

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I can't install the bonus pack because it's only available on Xbox One. Didn't they release it on PC or is it just another Windows Store issue?

6a613a0f-cde8-4888-b9kkkd.jpeg

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Finished the campaign yesterday night, this game is so much better than a 5/10 and this is why I don't put too much emphasis on these scores. Game is just mindless fun and it's a game that getting the air dash makes the navigation so much better sort of like what happened with Sunset Overdrive. Playing on Secret Agent, there is a decent amount of difficulty and you will die but it's all in decent fun and the spawnpoints if you opt to go for the bases make the runback hardly nonexistant.

The final two bosses(Well depending on what order you go for) are brutal, one I still don't know to this day what I was doing but somehow defeated him by mashing the jetdash and using explosives while trying to navigate through all of the fire. Seriously between the snipers, rocket launchers, regular enemies with shotguns/rapid fire guns, the drones, the heavily armored ship and Ngata himself, there was so much shit to try and blast through that it was sheer luck that my grenade launchers and jackhammer blasts were getting regular enemies too to give me some health/armor regen. No real rhyme or reason behind this boss fight.

As for the final boss, what a pain in the ass. I found out having the rocket launcher and standing in one spot while taking your time to fire off shots to defeat the final boss all the while using your ammo shield regain made the difference. Forget actually running and dashing through trying to hurt both the final boss AND regular enemies, you just stand up above, cover for your dear life and pray you aren't getting blasted through or that mechs/super quick enemies don't pop up.

Some bosses were finished off within in minutes or some were absolute nightmares and constant retrys. There is a def. difficulty spike with the final two bosses.

Tried one game of the multiplayer and did not feel for it at all. Think I got a good experience with the single player and given it was free on the game pass, this was a very pleasant surprise and something I am glad I finished. Don't know if I 100% the game but still nevertheless done all of the sidequests besides Niemand's(No thanks to the intercoms or orb hunting or races).

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Why are you even trying to grab onto these ledges? A level one agent can easily clear them - which is what I'm sure the developer is expecting players to do. I guess I never ran into these issues because I don't play this way. The guy can jump 15 in the air, so I never bothered trying to grab ahold of ledges that are 7 ft up.

I guess you're expecting some sort of auto clamber in these situations - like you'd see in many modern shooters. I think that would get in the way of gunplay if the agent automatically grabbed onto low edges like that... Imagine being in a heated gun battle with rockets everywhere , and your agent just randomly grabbed ahold of this ledge. What benefit would it bring? How is that a traversal improvement?

Its Better to require players jump ON TOP OF those platforms, if they want to get there.

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

RE: Videos 1 & 2
There is a lip on each of those edges. It's more apparent in the third video, but it's absolutely there in the first. You're bumping your head on it. I wouldn't call that a bug.

RE: Video 3
What platform are you on? This looks to be akin to the PC version, which is known to have these minor hitches. Digital Foundry discussed it in their technical analysis and said that it is mitigated if the game is installed on an SSD. I can attest the hitches are still there, but are to a much much lesser degree than in your video. In addition, they are not apparent in the Xbox One X version.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

To adress the first video, you can't climb those low blocks. The reason for that is likely that a) your basic jump can already jump above them and b) if your character locked on to those, it would be more difficult to run up to one (because you'd be holding forward while running) and for instance do a tiny jump, where you just peak above the cover, enabeling you to do a quick short and fall down in cover again.

This actually gives you more control over what happens when jumping there. You can choose to clear it easily (just jump), but you can also choose not to. If your character locked on to it, when for instance holding up when jumping, it would happen accidentially sometimes, because you're already holding up when moving close to it.

There are a few inconsistencies though, with other low barriers they allow you to climb, but I think that specific one is by design. Smart design.

Last edited:

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
How do you use the agency launch pad?

It's one of the agility power ups - but the button it tells you to use is the grenade button?

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Do you recall where on the map this occurred?

I can check, but this actually happens with a lot of those same looking rooftop structures pretty much everywhere. Ill try finding it again though.

Also...

Apparently this game is where the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 reject NPC models go to die.
TZdC6S3.jpg

Also... they dont blink... and have the most amazing facial animation/lip syncing ive seen in my entire life.

RE: Videos 1 & 2
There is a lip on each of those edges. It's more apparent in the third video, but it's absolutely there in the first. You're bumping your head on it. I wouldn't call that a bug.

RE: Video 3
What platform are you on? This looks to be akin to the PC version, which is known to have these minor hitches. Digital Foundry discussed it in their technical analysis and said that it is mitigated if the game is installed on an SSD. I can attest the hitches are still there, but are to a much much lesser degree than in your video. In addition, they are not apparent in the Xbox One X version.

Xbox One OG

But as far as the first video goes, this doesnt happen all the time with the exact same building or most of the buildings with jumping issues... i can replicate it, but then somestimes it just acts as a normal wall and allows me to clear it or hang on it... its the inconsistencies that are my issue.

Last edited:

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in love with this game. So much damn fun. Even the collecting is fun. Crackdown has made collecting shit fun... Deserves a 10/10 for that alone.

I was also pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable The Wrecking Zone is. I've been jumping in almost every night when I don't feel like playing something more serious like R6S or Apex Legends and have been having a blast.