• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I guess im just finding all the buggy areas then, because im constantly being stopped by invisible ledges when jumping up a sheer wall face, or he just doesnt grab the ledge, or has trouble jumping over small structures... i find myself constantly battling these small hiccups that should be smoother in a game that traversal plays an enormous part in.

Your problem is that you keep trying to climb/jump over things by slamming into them when they're clearly not flat surfaces, they jut out slightly. Step back a little and your character will easily grab onto the ledges.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the best way to level up Firearms? Everything else is 6, but Firearms is taking forever. Admittedly, level 6 explosives gives you an amazingly OP perk lol.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
RE: Videos 1 & 2
There is a lip on each of those edges. It's more apparent in the third video, but it's absolutely there in the first. You're bumping your head on it. I wouldn't call that a bug.

RE: Video 3
What platform are you on? This looks to be akin to the PC version, which is known to have these minor hitches. Digital Foundry discussed it in their technical analysis and said that it is mitigated if the game is installed on an SSD. I can attest the hitches are still there, but are to a much much lesser degree than in your video. In addition, they are not apparent in the Xbox One X version.

Xbox One OG
Your problem is that you keep trying to climb/jump over things by slamming into them when they're clearly not flat surfaces, they jut out slightly. Step back a little and your character will easily grab onto the ledges.

And thats fine, but if its chaotic and im plowing through the city, theres often times where im running into buildings jumping around shooting, im not gonna stop to adjust myself so i dont hit an invisible ledge that may or may not hinder my movement.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One OG

And thats fine, but if its chaotic and im plowing through the city, theres often times where im running into buildings jumping around shooting, im not gonna stop to adjust myself so i dont hit an invisible ledge that may or may not hinder my movement.

I just don't understand why you'd want to grab onto these ledges instead of simply jumping over them. There's no benefit, that I can see, to having an automatic grab animation for ledges this low. That would slow you down when traversing /fighting.

There's an argument to be made that maybe designers shouldn't put these little lips anywhere... But its too easy to just jump over these platforms instead of into them..

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

As previously mentioned, the ledges you're hitting aren't invisible.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand why you'd want to grab onto these ledges instead of simply jumping over them. There's no benefit, that I can see, to having an automatic grab animation for ledges this low. That would slow you down when traversing /fighting.

There's an argument to be made that maybe designers shouldn't put these little lips anywhere... But its too easy to just jump over these platforms instead of into them..

Im not actively trying to grab on to those ledges specifically, the video is just showing one instance of the many traversal problems the game has. It happens everywhere on all types of different walls/buildings/ledges. Its an issue that bothers me and i feel that its worse than the older games.

As previously mentioned, the ledges you're hitting aren't invisible.

So then the detection is just bad? Since it seems that i can usually jump and climb up without a problem in some areas... and in other areas (with the same structure) it acts as though the small ledge is impassable.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you find the last grenade? I know one of them is the black hole grenade.
1a5ffb30-ce08-47a9-955a-eca7e7624407.PNG

Where are the last two weapons located at?
9f34fa69-de37-4265-904a-0725dab8efc6.PNG

Oct 26, 2017
I just gotta say that I am absolutely having a blast with this game in co op with my friend. Yes the objectives are all the same and yet it doesn't annoy me at all. I'd say they nailed the feeling of Crackdown and collecting the orbs is just so damn good again. And those propaganda towers, those are cool and fun to take on and these are original too. Or have they been in other games before?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Did you drive up there? I made a similar shot today, but I carried the car to the top level, and then just drove it to that position. Sadly, the achievement didn't unlock. Maybe I should drive it all the way from the bottom? Or maybe just drive a bit on the outer wall.

img_bb19bf36-0697-4a07gjav.png

By the way, I love my hammer, it's tons of fun just whacking people with it.

img_946e97f2-f469-405m0k58.png

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Did you drive up there?

Don't know if he did, but it is possible to drive up there from some of the rectangular pipes leading to the building. You'll have to do a jump some of the way up the wall, where you turn first and then jump afterwards to latch onto another wall, but it's easier that you might think.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Just popped the cheevo for 500 orbs. I'm rare.

Also, this "cars are bad" must stop. The agency car is all kinds of hilarity. Employ your imagination, and creativity a little harder and you'll see it - what i mean.

I'm about half way to the top, and let me post my in depth review. "GAME IS A HOOT" Does anything else really matter?

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I know the reviews have been mostly bad, but I absolutely loved crackdown 1 and 2 and was thinking about a game to have some dumb mindless fun. I don't care about any type of story at all, just leveling up my character, blowing stuff up and feeling like a super hero.

How would this suit me? And how empty does the world feel? When you finish the campaign, is there still stuff to do through the open world?
gamepass is the way to go just because its easier on the wallet to id recommend that.

(i guess what im saying is that you should play it asap if thats what you want :P)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
For me when Im missing one orb in an area like half the time its on top of the railway, even if ive ran across those five times

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, there's nothing like having a 4-5 level agent on Legendary and finding yourself in the middle of FUCKING CHAOS! For real, I'm over here just exploring the world, taking whatever missions and objectives I get as I go, unlocking supply points and constantly having a blast. I just found myself fighting Ngata and Quist tonight after unlocking the supply points on those buildings; holy shit was that a lot of fun.

Seriously, the dance between movement (aggression and evasion), platforming, ground pounds/melee attacks, and nonstop explosions has me with a cemented grin on my face. At one point I traversed to the top of Niemand's tower where you encounter that pretty freaking cool boss (no spoilers for those who haven't reached there), but decided to ground pound from the top of the tower back down to the ground to savor that fight for later, similar to what I did with Breath of the Wild's Ganon fight.

These reviews man, I just don't even. I can't fathom playing through this game in its entirety and ending up with a ~6 rating. What the hell? lol. I really hope this isn't the last we see of Crackdown..

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Did you drive up there? I made a similar shot today, but I carried the car to the top level, and then just drove it to that position. Sadly, the achievement didn't unlock. Maybe I should drive it all the way from the bottom? Or maybe just drive a bit on the outer wall.

By the way, I love my hammer, it's tons of fun just whacking people with it.

img_946e97f2-f469-405m0k58.png
I used Maka's video guide and the achievement popped.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you find the last grenade? I know one of them is the black hole grenade.
1a5ffb30-ce08-47a9-955a-eca7e7624407.PNG

Where are the last two weapons located at?
9f34fa69-de37-4265-904a-0725dab8efc6.PNG

Have you done the final mission yet? There's a rack of guns up there including one you're missing (actually, the one I'm thinking of might not be visible on that screenshot, but that spot has like 6 different guns). You'll also find the heal grenade up there.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I must admit, I've grown to enjoy this after initially thinking (and stating here) I couldn't stand it.

Not that I think it's great, but it certainly is a great Game Pass offering.

The orb collecting is strangely addictive, the mini Ubi Towers with basic platforming are old school fun, the transforming vehicles with jumps are cool and I've got this desire to keep powering up my agent and wiping out every enemy checkpoint/mission I see.

If the animations and graphics were better I think it would get a lot more attention, there's a decent game under there.

(Is it possible for a patch to fix the crushed blacks?)

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I finished the main part yesterday, although I still need to find all the orbs and stunt rings, get gold in all the road races, and find that one last surveillance cache. I loved it to bits. This is going to be a great year, but I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which Crackdown 3 won't be among my top 5 games of 2019. In fact, right now it's probably my favourite Xbox One game after Sunset Overdrive (which is very similar in many ways, but still just about edges it out), Forza Horizon 2, and Forza Horizon 4.

That said, there are things that I wish were done differently. Road races are terrible, which is really disappointing, considering that was an area I thought that Sumo would excel in. With an upgraded Agent the handling is serviceable, and the drifting is simple and fun, but the weight of vehicles still feels distractingly off, even for an arcade racer. Random traffic can and will get in the way in the worst possible moments, and if you hit someone, their wreck will remain on the track even on retries (which is rarely an issue for level 5 Lightning, but sometimes you have to drive other cars). That's because the game doesn't reload the track, it just respawns the player, hence the fast "loading" times. And collision physics are out of whack, sometimes hitting a curb or a pedestrian will have worse consequences than ramming into a truck.

Elsewhere, the camera system could be better. It does some interesting, clever things with zoom levels, but under certain conditions it can spaz out, usually in cramped spaces. Combined with the pronounced black crush on Xbox One, it can greatly affect visibility. I found that the responsiveness of controls can be fickle as well. They feel fantastic for the most part, but on rare occasions inputs will be ignored. It's most obvious when starting road races - if you hold down the right trigger as the game counts down to zero, usually it will register when the race starts, but sometimes it won't. In my experience, switching to the third weapon in hectic battles can be an issue as well, and so can getting a lock-on with the Decimator. While dashing is mapped appropriately for most situations, you can accidentally click in the left stick when you need precision the most (when climbing propaganda towers, and doing rooftop races). Sure, every game has certain small issues, but they're especially disappointing here, in a title that's been in the polishing phase for so long.

I love the overall sandbox, although there are things that I miss from the previous games, especially Crackdown 2. I can't say that Crackdown 3 is now my favourite Crackdown, but it's certainly up there with Crackdown 2, which marks a great first attempt by a new developer. Platforming in particular is a triumph - it's been changed in important ways, but still feels just right, and fits the franchise. Getting the basic right is of utmost importance for a game of this type, and Sumo (mostly) nailed it. Now flesh it out, and give us moar!

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This is a terrifically enjoyable game. It's absolutely unambitious, but it's also compelling - the flow and loop and freedom means you just get into a zen-state of run-jump-nuke-collect and it's a lot of fun for it. Really, really enjoyable.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish I had charged agents more often. I basically got all my abilities to level 5 as Terry Crews, but I could have gotten more bang for my buck on Agility orbs as someone else. Now there aren't many left, and the creep to 6 is a slow one.

Anyway, I love going off on tangents in this game I logged on before work to go orb hunting when I realized I had a Propaganda tower left to complete. Finished it, and spotted some orbs on a nearby building. Jumped over, and landed mid level. Suddenly, the announcer starts rambling about how there's some secret at the top, and enemies start pouring in.
I fight my way to the top of the science center and stubble upon the Rangnarok and Oblivion. Why didn't I climb up here sooner?!?!?
Now I'm really kicking ass!!! I see a rooftop race, and it leads me back down to ground level, but I keep restarting it because I spot and grab Agility orbs on the way down. (Thank god for the quick loading times)!

What a great 15 minutes before leaving for work.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Oh, also: Is there anything better than being above an enemy compound, full-locking on with the Decimator, jumping, firing, and then completing the absolute annihilation with a ground pound? Power fantasy perfection.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Started playing this yesterday. I finished Spider-Man and then started Crackdown.

I'm enjoying it, but wow what a class difference between the 2 games. Yes of course they are different games, but the world is so empty compared and the AI so basic.

I can see what people mean - it's like 2007 all over again. It just feels very basic?

However, it's fun, and I'm enjoying it. It's just a shame, because it could have been great.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Started playing this yesterday. I finished Spider-Man and then started Crackdown.

I'm enjoying it, but wow what a class difference between the 2 games. Yes of course they are different games, but the world is so empty compared and the AI so basic.

I can see what people mean - it's like 2007 all over again. It just feels very basic?

However, it's fun, and I'm enjoying it. It's just a shame, because it could have been great.

Keep playing, and you may come to realize why the enemy AI is basic. In its most hectic moments the game will be throwing dozens and dozens of enemies at you at once, and even with a maxed out Agent it can get quite challenging, at least on the Super Agent difficulty. It's a different type of game, by design, and its roots go a lot further back than just 2007. Think of it as a Housemarque game in full 3D, with a lot more verticality.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Man I wish I had charged agents more often. I basically got all my abilities to level 5 as Terry Crews, but I could have gotten more bang for my buck on Agility orbs as someone else. Now there aren't many left, and the creep to 6 is a slow one.

Anyway, I love going off on tangents in this game I logged on before work to go orb hunting when I realized I had a Propaganda tower left to complete. Finished it, and spotted some orbs on a nearby building. Jumped over, and landed mid level. Suddenly, the announcer starts rambling about how there's some secret at the top, and enemies start pouring in.
I fight my way to the top of the science center and stubble upon the Rangnarok and Oblivion. Why didn't I climb up here sooner?!?!?
Now I'm really kicking ass!!! I see a rooftop race, and it leads me back down to ground level, but I keep restarting it because I spot and grab Agility orbs on the way down. (Thank god for the quick loading times)!

What a great 15 minutes before leaving for work.
I found the science building quite early and it was a real challenge to scale, but it was worth it when I was rewarded with the black hole gun. Moments like that are what make Crackdown games so special.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This game is terrible for my sleep schedule. I'm getting close to having an agent with everything maxed except for driving. Then the plan will be running around carrying the agency car for the purple rings.

I found the science building quite early and it was a real challenge to scale, but it was worth it when I was rewarded with the black hole gun. Moments like that are what make Crackdown games so special.

I did exactly this, and I loved how it helped the pacing, and made it clear how important hunting down equipment early could be.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Are there any story threads that return from the previous games? Such as the Agency being the bad guys and unleashing a mutant virus on the population?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I love this game.

How is it that I can't get my teeth in Red Dead 2, but this is taking all my time?

I just read IGNs piece of Crackdown 3 and their review philosophy and laughed because the game is just plain fun for me.

Different strokes I guess :)

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I love this game.

How is it that I can't get my teeth in Red Dead 2, but this is taking all my time?

I just read IGNs piece of Crackdown 3 and their review philosophy and laughed because the game is just plain fun for me.

Different strokes I guess :)
I also can't get into Red Dead 2. The original is in my top 10 of all time. But the sequel is too 'serious' if you know what I mean. When you get to the big city (fairly late on) I've stopped playing for now - I just wasn't enjoying it and was only playing for the story.

I've much preferred playing Spider-Man and Crackdown 3 which are the games I've played since.