• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like I use the vehicles much but for whatever reason my vehicle skills are mostly in line with everything else (with the exception of agility which is almost maxed lol).

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I can agree with this, I find very little motivation to use my agent car (or any car for that matter). More enemies and bosses that require you to give chase would be good for the platforming and driving aspects of this game.

Speaking of ngata, Ive failed a few times already and will probably cheese him today. I'm going to try to find the shield gadget first (there is one right?), and see if that's my missing tool. Co-op sounds like it would be much better, as one player could keep the grunts in check while the other focuses on the boss.

if it's the boss i think it is - both rocket launchers, start with the one in that shoots a ton and position near a reload station. unload and as you get low life use a heal grenade. finish with the swarm rockets, reload, repeat

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I know the reviews have been mostly bad, but I absolutely loved crackdown 1 and 2 and was thinking about a game to have some dumb mindless fun. I don't care about any type of story at all, just leveling up my character, blowing stuff up and feeling like a super hero.

How would this suit me? And how empty does the world feel? When you finish the campaign, is there still stuff to do through the open world?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I know the reviews have been mostly bad, but I absolutely loved crackdown 1 and 2 and was thinking about a game to have some dumb mindless fun. I don't care about any type of story at all, just leveling up my character, blowing stuff up and feeling like a super hero.

How would this suit me? And how empty does the world feel? When you finish the campaign, is there still stuff to do through the open world?
The story is actually good and very funny imho.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
That's a plus then!

How about the rest?

I would strongly disagree with this one - there really is barely any story in this and the very little there is (in the form of rather boring, short Boss introductions) was really uninteresting for me.

But everything else is exactly like in Crackdown 3, just a little faster. It's basically exactly what you're asking for. Dumb, mindless fun.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Pay no attention to the reviews. This game is exactly what you want. The reviews did not review the game for what it was.

There is still stuff to do in the world once you finish the campaign. There are still orbs to collect and enemies to kill. Lockdowns will still happen.

But there is also New Game +, where you can take your leveled agent into a new world.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

I can tell that you will love this game also.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I would strongly disagree with this one - there really is barely any story in this and the very little there is (in the form of rather boring, short Boss introductions) was really uninteresting for me.

But everything else is exactly like in Crackdown 3, just a little faster. It's basically exactly what you're asking for. Dumb, mindless fun.
Pay no attention to the reviews. This game is exactly what you want. The reviews did not review the game for what it was.

There is still stuff to do in the world once you finish the campaign. There are still orbs to collect and enemies to kill. Lockdowns will still happen.

But there is also New Game +, where you can take your leveled agent into a new world.
Perfect then.

Exactly what I wanted to hear from people who have already played this. Will pick up a copy this afternoon. Thanks!

jem

Oct 25, 2017

This game is exactly what you're looking for.

Regarding the world, it depends what you mean by empty - it's full of stuff to do like challenges, races, orbs to collect, outposts to destroy etc. However, it's not a "living breathing world" which other open worlds try to be - it's very much a gamey world, it's not trying to be immersive or anything like that. It's designed to be fun to traverse and blow stuff up in.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

The game doesn't have a lot of narrative, but it have a funny plot, with sorta charismatic villains. It's the kind of story that fits in a game like this.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
This game is exactly what you're looking for.

Regarding the world, it depends what you mean by empty - it's full of stuff to do like challenges, races, orbs to collect, outposts to destroy etc. However, it's not a "living breathing world" which other open worlds try to be - it's very much a gamey world, it's not trying to be immersive or anything like that. It's designed to be fun to traverse and blow stuff up in.
I was thinking more about how many npcs are walking around and how is traffic. I have watched videos but I never managed to get a good feel of how "lived on" the city looked like. I don't really need the game to feel like RDR2's world, if you know what I mean.
Not to discourage you from buying the game off the shelf, but you can pick up a GamePass subscription instead and get it plus a ton of other games for $2 for a month right now.
2$ ? Where?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

You can absolutely pay attention to the reviews, agree with their points and still enjoy the game. Many people dislike the game for the very same reason many like it. For it's largely regressive game design and unambitious narrative arc and structure. When many reviews call the game out for being stuck in the past and completely ignoring any and all progress the genre has been doing in the last decade, they are completely right. A game like Doom showed how you can largely adhere to the classic feel of the game while also innovating and using progress made in the genre and industry at large to leverage it even further.

Crackdown 3 doesn't do that at all and, understandably, many people were left wanting more. I had a lot of fun with the game but I won't criticize anyone disliking it. The reviews reviewed the game exactly for what it was. And for most of them what it was, was stale and played out.

I was thinking more about how many npcs are walking around and how is traffic. I have watched videos but I never managed to get a good feel of how "lived on" the city looked like. I don't really need the game to feel like RDR2's world, if you know what I mean.

Doesn't feel lived in at all. It's a toy box only there to please you, the player. At no point did the city actually feel lived in or "real" in any way to me. That clearly wasn't a focus when developing the game.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck at the final boss fight...

There's just too much shit going on, mobs are everywhere, and there are canisters sending out some kind of shit that's just chewing up my health.
Devastator for the boss and singularity grenades to keep the crowd in check worked well for me

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
if it's the boss i think it is - both rocket launchers, start with the one in that shoots a ton and position near a reload station. unload and as you get low life use a heal grenade. finish with the swarm rockets, reload, repeat

I tried this approach once. I had 2 issues

1: in the heat of the moment, I couldn't wrap my head around the fact I was using heal grenades and I kept throwing them at my enemies! Lol. Also they take too long to cool down.

2: 3-4 snipers would spawn in at once, and absolutely wreck me. Then I'm easy picking for the mobs.

I'm going to Max my strength Before I go at him again.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I do think that they should've had a class-based multiplayer out of Wrecking Zone. Getting a class that builds covers, one that is focused on demolition, one that is focused purely on agent killing, etc.
So weird how progression is suddenly out of the final product when there were preview videos which did have a progression system.

I'm having a blast with the Campaign, so hopefully we see some cool stuff coming to WZ asap.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
So I finally maxed out Agility, and what do you know, you really can fly! Well, for five seconds, but still, it makes traversal even better. I also maxed out Driving. Unfortunately, vehicle races are not well done at all, but more on that when I finish the game.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
You can absolutely pay attention to the reviews, agree with their points and still enjoy the game. Many people dislike the game for the very same reason many like it. For it's largely regressive game design and unambitious narrative arc and structure. When many reviews call the game out for being stuck in the past and completely ignoring any and all progress the genre has been doing in the last decade, they are completely right. A game like Doom showed how you can largely adhere to the classic feel of the game while also innovating and using progress made in the genre and industry at large to leverage it even further.

Not every game needs an ambitious story, although this game certainly had a lot more story to it than Crackdown 1 did. Super Mario games don't generally have ambitious or well put together stories. But you don't go to Super Mario games expecting one, so you don't ding the game when it doesn't have one. Where's Tetris's story (minus 2 points!)? Why did Crackdown 3 get dinged for not having an ambitious story when it's clear that the game isn't intended to have or need one? Everyone knows this game is an open world sandbox where exploring, platforming, collecting and leveling up to cause even more chaos are the real goals. It doesn't have to be like all the Ubisoft open world cookie-cutter games (which I also love playing, btw...).

I just feel that a game that seems to be finding its audience didn't deserve to be panned with reviews well below the bell curve. I think that a lot of the game's political and historical baggage and expectations got tied to these reviews, and I don't think that they reviewed the game for what it actually is. I hope that this doesn't affect any possibility of a sequel for a game I hold near and dear. I realize that you may disagree with me, and that's fine.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a special trick to co-op play to make sure I don't lose progress? I remember reading something along those lines.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Think Im done with the game. Must have played a good 15 hours and cleared everything I could see on the map. Got 600 orbs total.

I think the game is fucking great, in its own particular way, which is why Id stick overall to a high 7. I wish there was a tonne more to do. Better enemy design that takes more advantage of your maneuverability. A lot of the combat areas where too 'designed' to be combat areas instead of just enviroments. Like the oil rig in CD 1. A lot of the map lacked that personality. There could have been a lot more cool platforming challenges aswell. The towers were nice, but you could break them easily at higher levels.

The driving out and out sucks. I didnt care at allfor the agency vehicles compared to how cool they were in CD1 either. There were too many lifeless hollow sky scrapers in the centre of the map meant orb hunting was only really fun in the outskirts. I thought CD 1 had a better enviroment balance in that regard.

Thought the new controls were awesome. Being able to tripple jump and change direction twice via boosters in mid air feels awesome. The platforming was really down to your skill and was really satisfying after you mastered it. A lot of small improvements over CD1 that made a big difference.

Lock on targetting is perfect. I dont know why anyone would want to manually aim, its not the point of the game. Trying to fight off 30 dudes, drones and mechs at the same time, I just dont see how it would every be fun.

The real issue with Crackdown is its open design. I dont mean issue negatively per se, just the biggest hurdle it needs to overcome. Another game recently to embrace that design was Breath of the Wild. In terms of nothing is sealed off from you after the initial turorial area. Im not trying to put these games in remotely the same league but they both sacrifice a lot of scripted design for freedom. For instance I wish the bosses challanged your upgrade moves more, but then that would put a gate in front of players who didnt have those moves yet, so where is the balance there? The same applies to all aspects of the game. Something that BotW really nailed and Crackdown 3 struggles a lot with.

On the other hand, just like Zelda, I love the game for just letting me play. I never have to go back and forth to a quest giver. I just go from point to point completing whatever I want. I NEVER have to put the controller down I can just keep playing and playing and that is an absolute joy. I just keep moving.

I really hope its not the end of Crackdown. It is something uniquely brilliant, its just awfully mismanaged. Someone needs to take the reigns of the franchise and have a vision.

End rant

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else have this issue: The game won't suspend and closes instead. The Xbox goes to sleep but the game still fully closes.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else have this issue: The game won't suspend and closes instead. The Xbox goes to sleep but the game still fully closes.

I'm not having this issue. Suspend/resume had been working perfectly for up until this morning when it the game crashed 5 minutes after I resumed it.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Is there a special trick to co-op play to make sure I don't lose progress? I remember reading something along those lines.
Lose progress with your world or agent? Your agent's stats carry over as long as you use your Agent save slot. As for world, whoever creates the party selects the game world and the progress on that stays the same.

I played the "entire" campaign co-op on PC.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I spent about an hour this morning just collecting agility orbs, just hit level 3! I'm hoping to max out all the abilities, would you say agility is the best to focus on?
I'm focusing on agility and strength, but tonight I'll try to diversify a bit. I actually really like the side swipe on the agency car and hope that driving gets a bit better as I level up. I'm not disliking it, but I will need to get the hang of it for sure.

Also, yeah, finding the last few agility orbs might be a pain. Some people said they should implement the ping from Crackdown 2, but I completely forgot what that was. Sounds something they could patch in though, maybe?

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ground-pound FTW!

Wxb1YYW.gif

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I'm focusing on agility and strength, but tonight I'll try to diversify a bit. I actually really like the side swipe on the agency car and hope that driving gets a bit better as I level up. I'm not disliking it, but I will need to get the hang of it for sure.

Also, yeah, finding the last few agility orbs might be a pain. Some people said they should implement the ping from Crackdown 2, but I completely forgot what that was. Sounds something they could patch in though, maybe?

In one of the two previous games they patched the orb sounds to be louder when you got down to a small number left. But there was no per-district count of remaining orbs. The orb challenge definitely isn't as hard as it used to be. It literally took me 10 years to find my last one from Crackdown 1. :P

Ok, I may have taken some time off in between.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I didn't go back to my Atmos speakers to listen to them directly, but there's an area near the center of the city where there are a ton of chemical tanks you're supposed to blow up. Once they are blown up on either side of you, and flaming green, it sure sounded like the sound was coming from up above for me. I'll pinpoint it on the map tonight.
I had went to one of the chemical sites on the western end of the map, near the starting area, where you have to blow up the mining equipment that raises and lowers and heard nothing in the overhead channels. Then I ran around the map some and the overhead was still dead silent.

yep

i have my height channels elevated for my receiver's game mode and nothing noticeable was coming through. this game ain't atmos
I am disappointed it doesn't have Atmos. Can you imagine hearing an agility orb in the overhead channels, because it is pinging above you?!

All the information I could find about Crackdown 3 having Atmos was all over a year old.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Please give me an area I can go where you are certain there are Atmos overhead effects. I played the game for 10 minutes with my ear to one of my ceiling speakers and never heard a sound. I switched my Xbox to 7.1 with AVR upmixing and then my overhead speakers came alive.

I am 100% convinced this game is not Atmos; it's another Sea of Thieves debacle where it was announced as having it well before release, but was absent with the final product.

I tried it out last night and listened directly back at my Atmos speakers, and you are right. It isn't in the game. I have to mount my side speakers a little higher than normal due to room constraints, and that was messing with me.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
When you're the one starting the co-op session: Pick your regular agent and your regular world slot
When you're the one joining: Pick your regular agent and a new world slot

The somewhat confusing issue is that the world state is defined by the host player, so if you join and pick an existing slot, it will overwrite it. They will patch that in the coming days.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lose progress with your world or agent? Your agent's stats carry over as long as you use your Agent save slot. As for world, whoever creates the party selects the game world and the progress on that stays the same.

I played the "entire" campaign co-op on PC.

When you're the one starting the co-op session: Pick your regular agent and your regular world slot

The somewhat confusing issue is that the world state is defined by the host player, so if you join and pick an existing slot, it will overwrite it. They will patch that in the coming days.

Thanks guys

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I didn't expect to play much of Crackdown 3, especially after the first hour which didn't really impress, but now that I'm a few hours in I'm absolutely hooked. I love the gameplay loop, the platforming is getting to be lots of fun now that I'm level 3 in that area, and the weapons are just a blast so far!

I have a couple general questions:
  • Is there any reason to use other agents other than the slight exp boosts? Or is it just cosmetic otherwise?

• Once I get further into the game, will there be any assists which help me find orbs more easily? Especially the hidden orbs?

Nov 1, 2017
I do think that they should've had a class-based multiplayer out of Wrecking Zone. Getting a class that builds covers, one that is focused on demolition, one that is focused purely on agent killing, etc.
So weird how progression is suddenly out of the final product when there were preview videos which did have a progression system.

I'm having a blast with the Campaign, so hopefully we see some cool stuff coming to WZ asap.

The multiplayer is an interesting one because what was the main draw, all the destruction stuff doesn't actually help you win the game. I've played quite a lot of it the last few days while mopping up achievements and i've honestly had more enjoyment out of Crackdown 3's multiplayer than any battle royale game i've ever tried. Give me frantic shooting and dodge dashing behind cover trying to survive over walking around with nothing happening for minutes at a time.

The issue with the destruction is there's no point, and it actually hinders your ability to survive. Also the minigun is OP as fuck, if you get the drop on someone and they dont manage to scramble into cover its an easy kill. If the game gave you points for certain destruction related things then it would make more sense but in order to win the game it's all about getting in close, being hyper aggressive and popping Overshield if the enemy doesnt panic and actually fights back and making sure to use the dash melee move to very quickly blast into the nearest wall/cover if someone else starts shooting you while you're taking enemies out. I'm not a pro player by any stretch of the imagination but i regularly place top of my team without touching any of the explosion weapons and without making any attempts to destroy the scenery (other than what inevitably happens when i blast through them with the dash to heal up).

They spent all those years developing this destruction tech and then they applied to a multiplayer mode that doesnt make good use of it. That... feels like it's a problem.

Jan 13, 2018

So... when you invite a player, you are inviting them into your already-existing single player campaign?

Would this mean the host gets the benefit & progress of having a guest player in their main campaign, but the guest player makes no lasting progress of their own at all?

I'm liking the game a lot (never played the earlier Crackdowns), but the online aspects are just confusing. I just saw in that second Dev Update that it will be another 2-3 weeks 'til you can form your own party in Wrecking Zone, btw.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently sitting at just under 15 hours played, Agility, Strength and Firearms are all at max level 6, while explosives is at 5.76 (which I am working on next) and driving of course is at 2.71 because who wants to drive!

I completed the final boss last night and cleaned up the remaining points of interest and collectibles but I still have about 100 hidden orbs to find and about 80 agility orbs.

This will probably bring me to just under 20 hours, and I had a great time. My only real issue with the game is that the damn map is so fiddly and weird, selecting stuff can be a chore sometimes. Also I hope they add some sort of "Toy Box" mode to Wrecking Crew that just allows you to go into the maps and break stuff at your leisure, that is all I do when I play it but then get killed haha

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD

Agreed, story is terrible. I still am having tons of fun with the game but I would not say the story is good at all (plot wise or in terms of presentation).

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any penalties for dying in this game? I am on second to last difficulty setting and I died a lot trying to take on an area with a 34% chance of success :)