• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch. As a big fan of the original, this is disappointing. It always felt like it was a hailmary by Phil to appease fans upset with XB1 launch and lack of interesting exclusives. Looks like it turned out to be a failmary.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a massive fan of the old games in the 360 era, very shocked to see what MS allows as their level of Quality in 2019.
Hope they dont let Obsidian and Ninja Theory make the same kind of garbage after all the fanfare of acquiring new studios, this leaves me a bit worried for their future Quality in their first party lineup. Hope Game Pass had nothing to do with the low quality of Crackdown 3.

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
nice to see you can antagonize your least favorite members at least once for free before a ban

OT: I agree with some of the sentiment here that this is the last project of Mattricks era, and am looking forward to a hopefully increase in quality for MSs 1P slate.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Sad but expected. Looks like a bit of sandbox fun but that is it. But lets be honest we all saw it coming from the troubling development cycle, the delays and the gameplay they released. I wish Sumo Digital well, this news must be hard on them.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
I don't have to watch a Youtube video, to know that games like Crackdown 3, Forza Horizon, The Order 1886 and Until Dawn are 1st party games. But thank you, Sheeper1.

Actually Forza Horizon is a first party game now because they bought Playground Games
And wow at writing my name wrong, you are so smart
Era never change

EDIT: Ignore this - saw the mod response just now

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
As a massive fan of the old games in the 360 era, very shocked to see what MS allows as their level of QA in 2019.
Hope they dont let Obsidian and Ninja Theory make the same kind of garbage after all the fanfare of acquiring new studios, this leaves me a bit worried for their future QA in their first party lineup. Hope Game Pass had nothing to do with the low quality of Crackdown 3.

You don't understand what QA is.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'd say their forza games are killer apps but I guess that depends on if you're into racing games
Yeah they are REALLY good. Racing games just don't do the same thing for me as a really excellent single player story focused adventure. But Forza is just about as good as a racing game can possibly get.

Honestly I think that's the big problem for me with Xbox especially this gen. There is so much focus on multiplayer and GAAS type games. Many of which are really great, but just don't emotionally do much for me.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
nice to see you can antagonize your least favorite members at least once for free before a ban

OT: I agree with some of the sentiment here that this is the last project of Mattricks era, and am looking forward to a hopefully increase in quality for MSs 1P slate.

Mattrick has been gone for almost 6 years, no? Seems like a reach to pin this on his "era" somehow. Most of this games development, for better or worse, happened under Spencer. If Sumo hit it out of the park and this game was phenomenal, would anyone be bringing up Mattrick right now?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

... the Mattrick era? Didn't Phil take over in March 2014?

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Some of these reviews are absolutely savage. Damn.
It's weird that reviews are super down on the game for being a sequel to Crackdown, not some totally different game.
The silly part is it's better than both those games.

But I guess if Crackdown 1 were to be reviewed in 2019 it would not be in the 80s like it is
That's the confusing part for me - the biggest complaint is that it's more Crackdown?

I loved it for exactly that reason - it's more Crackdown. It's not trying to be a cinematic action-adventure game that'll bring you to tears with its story, it's the 'Michael Bay movie' of video games and it does that really well.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Can't wait to play, looks fun. Wonder if HDR has to be turned on on pc in Windows? Pretty sure re2 you didn't have to it triggered off the tv.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yea, i hope this is the last Don Mattrick game. I really hope quality control improves going forward.

This perfectly sums up almost everything.

I feel like Xbox, with the help of Phil Spencer, has been slowly climbing out out the hardware/software wreckage that was piled upon them by Mattrick and his hubris-fueled experiment that was the original Xbox One vision.

Unfortunately, while doing this with limited funding and control as a subsidiary of the Windows division until 2017, they had to end a lot of stuff instead of improving it. Kinect was amazing technology, but it cost too much with the old budget. Same with developing the Crackdown cloud tech.

Now, Xbox and Phil have had the control and funding they need for over a year. They have purchased new studios. They seem to be giving current studios room to support and improve games over time, as evidenced by Sea of Thieves. I'm personally giving them 3 years (2021) to really start knocking it out of the park.

By "Knocking it out of the park" I mean:

* 1st Party exclusives that match or exceed what Sony puts out in quantity and Metacritic score.
* Hardware that is not only more powerful (eg. X1X) than the competition, by more innovative. That means things like VR,AR, Kinect are made available on the Xbox and are 100% supported, not abandoned.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that reviews are super down on the game for being a sequel to Crackdown, not some totally different game.

That's the confusing part for me - the biggest complaint is that it's more Crackdown?

I loved it for exactly that reason - it's more Crackdown. It's not trying to be a cinematic action-adventure game that'll bring you to tears with its story, it's the 'Michael Bay movie' of video games and it does that really well.

Not every reviewer is going to feel the same way. Crackdown was a long ass time ago. Peoples tastes change, peoples expectations change, hell reviewers change. Who knows what the people reviewing CD3 thought of the first game. Some of them may not have even been reviewing games at that time.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
A lot of us were right. What boggles my mind is, we are not developers, but people who over saw the game didn't raise any hands and say, maybe this gameplay is dated?

Maybe we should rethink and try to make something better? They could have honestly made something like red faction guerrilla with mild destruction, but with a more lively city, and made getting powers and jumping around more interesting.
I truly believe that this game was launched after so many delays and alegated development problems only because Microsoft could not deal with another game being canceled and all bad press that would come with it.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Watching and playing is a bit different and might change your opinion once you get to play it yourself

I guess that's true. I haven't played it for myself yet, however the digital foundry analysis was pretty thorough and it paints a picture of clean image quality, incredible HDR, and techniques that aren't often found in open world titles.

It's true that it'll probably not be making any top 5 lists this year for most impressive visuals, but I think it's a lot better than people were expecting.

random gamer

Jan 9, 2018
I'm not sure if this was posted already, but I really enjoyed the game. I'm a bit shocked it's received so many low review scores (not scored yet as multiplayer sessions were brief) - https://www.usgamer.net/articles/crackdown-3-review

Thanks for that Tom, it sounds like it's a lot fun, just like the original, which is exactly what I wanted, also added Terry Crews is a bonus! I'm also surprised it's getting so many lower scores. The first one took a bit of time to level up and really get into it as well, maybe after people have had a bit more time to get into it they might appreciate it a bit more?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spidey isn't first party. Sony literally owns no part of the title. That's like saying KH is a Square Enix game.

This is a weird post.

Phil Spencer never seems to be held accountable even though he was in charge of first party for MS for years.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero faith in Microsoft to produce good exclusives I care to play. Maybe next gen, but I'm sure not holding my breath.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
As much as you can blame Don on (a lot, including MCCs rushed state and using beta SDKs) this is not on Don

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The first 30 minutes have been enjoyable. It must be really bad at the end to justify these review scores. We'll see.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well it's pretty much as expected, actually slightly lower than I thought it would score (I thought maybe 65-69) so that's more of a bummer.

Thankfully Game Pass is a thing so I can play it super cheap without paying full price, which clearly it isn't worth, also on PC for 60fps, providing they fix the stuttering issue Digital Foundry talked about.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Game was in dev hell and took too long to come out. And when it does finally its slightly above average compared to Crackdown 2.

Yep sounds like game pass material to me.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Watching and playing is a bit different and might change your opinion once you get to play it yourself
Indeed. Watching is almost always worse than playing when you're looking at the graphics. Youtube compression generally destroys videos, but GF knows how to encode their videos so they are clean on YouTube. It looks amazing in their video. I'm excited to play it tonight.

Vgtomo

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for that Tom, it sounds like it's a lot fun, just like the original, which is exactly what I wanted, also added Terry Crews is a bonus! I'm also surprised it's getting so many lower scores. The first one took a bit of time to level up and really get into it as well, maybe after people have had a bit more time to get into it they might appreciate it a bit more?
I'm sure the people who reviewed it played through the campaign, but I guess they were looking for something else. I just enjoy darting around in the air and blowing a lot of stuff up with rockets. Crackdown 3 clearly isn't a prestige game, but I hope it gets enough of a following for Microsoft to stick with the franchise.