• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
You can be a fan of a series and still be able to acknowledge it's flaws when your game of choice is perceived as mediocre or bad, it's ok. I personally had fun with Star Ocean 5, and that got a 58 on MC lol.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I did the math.

I just don't understand why anyone uses a 1–20 scale for reviews. I always thought the Famitsu 1–100 scores were a bit indulgent, but at least they offer a level of granularity that someone (not me, but someone) could use to justify the scale.

But 1–20?

butwhy.gif

That's the academic rating system in France. Nothing weird about it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As I stated in a post earlier, I am thoroughly enjoying it. If you like Crackdown you will have a blast!! That being said, I keep seeing people complaining that this game is dated, feels like a 2007 game etc. I just tried Kingdom Hearts 3, never played a KH game before, and let me tell you, THAT game feels dated. It feels like a game from a decade ago, but I see nothing but great reviews for it. I would like to know why that game is getting praised, but CD3 is getting obliterated for feeling like an older game???

Because KH3 actually has a fair amount of diversity, a super polished, unique, relatively deep and fluid combat and movement system, interesting bosses, worlds etc, lots of mini games or side gameplay (cooking, snowboarding, pirate ship combat, swimming, flan jumping, arcade games, gummi ship, racing etc), lots of unlockable gear, items, weapons, accessories, magic etc, a better sense of progression, far more grandiose set pieces and engagements and so on. It's just a far more polished and ambitious overall game, and the stuff that feels dated isn't so much the gameplay, animations, graphics or world design, but the pacing, cutscenes, narrative development etc. With CD3 it's essentially everything.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Please be more constructive when criticising it by only it saying it's dated, when people went nuts with Tetris Effect just last year and apart from Shiny Graphics that doesn't feel like a Major leap from 1980 something and yet I will still say TE is still a good game. I Appreciate those that criticise CD3 that don't mention only it feels dated but are able to point ut other faults too.

I have Gamepass, I will make up my own mind when I try it out and I will say if I think it sucks and why it does (but nothing to do with it being dated ) or if it's okay.

Also don't blast people who want to play the game and enjoy it and to the otherside don't blast the people that hate it either.

I have a love hate relationship with all 3 of my consoles for different reasons, but I also own all 3 and have done since last generation. I wont protect one over the other but I will enjoy them all equally unless one of the big 3 really did something bad to piss me off.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It may have variety, but that doesn't mean it's great or that its not dated. Just because there may be more things to do, does not mean that the game doesn't feel like a game from 2007...

When I say variety, I'm not just saying mission design. I'm talking about level design, combat, interactions with characters, style, etc. The levels in KH3 are huge, diverse and distinct looks to all of them. I don't feel like you're doing your argument any favors by comparing CD3 with it.

Please be more constructive when criticising it by only it saying it's dated, when people went nuts with Tetris Effect just last year and apart from Shiny Graphics that doesn't feel like a Major leap from 1980 something and yet I will still say TE is still a good game. I Appreciate those that criticise CD3 that don't mention only it feels dated but are able to point ut other faults too.

I have Gamepass, I will make up my own mind when I try it out and I will say if I think it sucks and why it does (but nothing to do with it being dated ) or if it's okay.

Also don't blast people who want to play the game and enjoy it and to the otherside don't blast the people that hate it either.

I have a love hate relationship with all 3 of my consoles for different reasons, but I also own all 3 and have done since last generation. I wont protect one over the other but I will enjoy them all equally unless one of the big 3 really did something bad to piss me off.

This is a review thread. Saying "I'm having fun" is not really discussing the reviews nor critiquing the game. If you want to discuss the merits of CD3 fine, but bringing up Tetris Effect is a bit weird. Tetris Effect did do something different, and CD3 did not. People say it's dated because it is. What people mean when they say it's dated is the mission design is repetitive, the world doesn't feel like it has any life in it whatsoever, the characters are flat, etc. People aren't using the word 'dated' as a cudgel to dismiss any positivity around the game. Everyone can enjoy the game, no question. And I hope a lot of people do.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm interested now in what went wrong during the development of this game and how we have gone so long to having a game drop on us like this.

I'm all for short periods from announcement to release, having a game be in development for so long after the announcement is never a good idea.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The people who made this game are probably taking these reviews better than some of the people in here.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I can't with some of these comments, lol. We even have execs like Aaron Greenberg retweeting reviews from known fanboys.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay is dated
I just dont see why this is a bad thing.

My issue with it is that the dated gameplay isnt much fun in some aspects. I replayed CD1 when it got given away for free and still had a blast. Thats not the problem;

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Most people have given explanations for why they think it's dated such as movement/animation feeling off/clunky and how repetitive it is. "Blowing shit up" is fun sure but I personally started thinking, is that it?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested now in what went wrong during the development of this game and how we have gone so long to having a game drop on us like this.

I'm all for short periods from announcement to release, having a game be in development for so long after the announcement is never a good idea.

Well what they showed us in 2015 at gamescom was an entirely different game than what we are getting today. There was an entirely different team working on the game at that point and what that game was supposed to be (an entirely online destructible campaign )is entirely different than what we got today (a traditional campaign with a tacked on multiplayer featuring the destruction).

It went through multiple teams and almost complete teardown and re-build at some point.

Which is unfortunate for the game because a lot of people seem to hold the fact that it was announced in 2014 against the game, like they were expecting this to play like a game that has been in development for 5+ years.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I think that because Sony has been releasing such strong first party games recently (God of War and Spider-Man) there is an expectation that Microsoft's first party games need to be just as strong. Crackdown is a fun game, but the game doesn't exist in a vacuum and games have changed a lot over the last decade.

kdm

Oct 30, 2017
Is 3 at least as good as 1?

Yep, it's a graphical overhaul of the same core gameplay you got from the first in the series. It really comes down to expectations... I personally expected more (as well as better general reception). I'm about 4 hours into the campaign and I'm enjoying it. That doesn't mean it's a great game, but it means it's one that I'm going to enjoy SP and co-op with friends. The co-op hits the spot after having bought Agents of Mayhem, loaded it up, and realized that there was no co-op.

I'd say it's easily recommendable and worth a play on GamePass. As a $60 day one purchase, I'd have been comfortable with it, but can certainly understand why other people would feel burned.

squilliedee

Jan 4, 2019
Because KH3 actually has a fair amount of diversity, a super polished, unique, relatively deep and fluid combat and movement system, interesting bosses, worlds etc, lots of mini games or side gameplay (cooking, snowboarding, pirate ship combat, swimming, flan jumping, arcade games, gummi ship, racing etc), lots of unlockable gear, items, weapons, accessories, magic etc, a better sense of progression, far more grandiose set pieces and engagements and so on. It's just a far more polished and ambitious overall game, and the stuff that feels dated isn't so much the gameplay, animations, graphics or world design, but the pacing, cutscenes, narrative development etc. With CD3 it's essentially everything.

I hear ya, i understand what your saying, but it is an RPG and thats why it has all of those things. I would argue that the combat is kind of wonky, even though it does get deep as the game goes on, the "special" abilities (the Disney rides) while cool looking, also feel wonky, and sometime block your entire screen so you can't see anything. I agree that the pacing and cutscenes are the most dated aspect of the game. The reason I made this comparison is, that KH3 feel like a game from 2007, it is polished and looks nice, but so does Crackdown. They are different genres but both games play like older titles, which is fine, but one of them has amazing reviews and one of them has horrendous reviews, just seems kind of odd to me.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you think there is an inherent bias for or against your favourite console from users or mods on this site it says more about your biases (and possible fanboyism) than anything based in actual reality.

This review thread is at 59 pages, Jump Force whose embargo lifted at the same time and scored equally as bad is at 5 pages.

Its pretty clear to me that their is a strong bias both for and against this game and Microsoft studios as a whole, otherwise their wouldn't be such a large discussion about it.
If this was a multiplatform game, I really don't think people would care enough to even chime in.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If you think there is an inherent bias for or against your favourite console from users or mods on this site it says more about your biases (and possible fanboyism) than anything based in actual reality.
Errr....easy to say when the majority are huge PlayStation fans.

It's all good, next gen is a reset and that's what's great about gaming.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
You can take down entire buildings. I do it twice in this video from the playtest. Who originally said that you can't take down entire buildings?

They complain about it in the Giant Bomb quick look video so I figured they had tried a few times to beat down those columns. But they were wrong as I've seen numerous examples of now!

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This review thread is at 59 pages, Jump Force whose embargo lifted at the same time and scored equally as bad is at 5 pages.

Its pretty clear to me that their is a strong bias both for and against this game and Microsoft studios as a whole, otherwise their wouldn't be such a large discussion about it.
If this was a multiplatform game, I really don't think people would care enough to even chime in.
I mean is almost as if stay with me that crackdown 3 is a much much much bigger game than jump force. Now I could be wrong and budget title based off of Japanese comics is equal to crackdown 3.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lot's of anger in this thread for a game most of us knew was in trouble

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They complain about it in the Giant Bomb quick look video so I figured they had tried a few times to beat down those columns. But they were wrong as I've seen numerous examples of now!

GB's wrong about a lot. But I do appreciate their opinions about games. I just would never trust what they say alone without verifying it. The other day I realized they didn't know that DQ11 was already out and it's been out since September.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Errr....easy to say when the majority are huge PlayStation fans.

It's all good, next gen is a reset and that's what's great about gaming.

Unless PS5 has BC in which case many users will be locked into their ecosystem so they can enjoy the dozens and dozens of digital and physical games they bought on PS4.

Christopher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about three hours into the campaign and I don't think it is bad at all. It is quite good actually. It is just shallow, mindless fun. So far, I would score it a 7.5.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Unless PS5 has BC in which case many users will be locked into their ecosystem so they can enjoy the dozens and dozens of digital and physical games they bought on PS4.

Yeah, the digital era will make it as you say, people will be locked into their existing ecosystems, so if PS5 is BC it won't be a reset like past gens were, imho

What's more, BC would make this gen's games be even more relevant come next gen, specially for people jumping from the MS ship to Sony's, as they will be able to play PS4 games without the need of a remaster, which would be huge given the excellent library of first party games the PS4 is building

We'll see if the PS5 ends up being BC or they rather try to cash in with said remasters though...

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

The length of this thread or that thread has nothing to do with a supposed inherent bias on this site which is what my post spoke about.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean is almost as if stay with me that crackdown 3 is a much much much bigger game than jump force. Now I could be wrong and budget title based off of Japanese products is equal to crackdown 3.

There is zero need to condescending, my point still stands, it was just a point of comparison, Jump Force isn't some low budget indie game and its obvious that this game is getting so much attention simply because its an exclusive that reviewed poorly. If this was a multi-platform it probably would have suffered the same level of indifference as any other game.

This happens with every Sony/MS exclusive, because their is a ton of people with both a strong bias for and against Microsoft. Go into any Days Gone thread. Same shit, people doing drive by shit posts and people getting worked up about the shit posts.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played a couple of hours this morning. I get why some reviewers have slammed it, but to me it is just pure Crackdown fun.

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
Since MS has said no more generations. You still have years of more games to come.
Ehhh, corporations say things, often buzzwords, but that doesn't mean it'll stick until we really know how CPU intensive next generation is.

For example, MS claimed "every Xbox One available in your living room we'll have three of those devices in the cloud available" back in 2013 when they wanted to make the platform sound more powerful than it really was. Or their talk of VR coming to Xbox One... Wait and see what happens.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Question: Is this thread better or worse than the Fallout 76 review thread? Cause that was one for the ages.

Also I overshot with my guess of the 70-79.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is zero need to condescending, my point still stands, it was just a point of comparison, Jump Force isn't some low budget indie game and its obvious that this game is getting so much attention simply because its an exclusive that reviewed poorly. If this was a multi-platform it probably would have suffered the same level of indifference as any other game.

This happens with every Sony/MS exclusive, because their is a ton of people with both a strong bias for and against Microsoft. Go into any Days Gone thread. Same shit, people doing drive by shit posts and people getting worked up about the shit posts.
That will never stop, unfortunately each side has some bad apples. People just need to learn to ignore the obvious trolls.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played this a bit last night.

Firstly, can we do away with the notion that if you loved the original game you'll love this?

Because I loved the original but consider this is an absolute snore.

Times have changed and everything about this game – from the animation to the hit detection to the mission structure – comes off as archaic, out of touch and woefully generic. The only way you can excuse this game's ridiculously dated look and feel is if you're essentially willing to ignore the last twelve years of progress within the medium.

Worse, the much hyped MP is mediocre at best and the destruction components are decidedly unspectacular. There's nothing I've seen here that I haven't seen in something like Red Faction: Guerrilla and in all sincerity I would argue that game does it better.

That said, the MP is the only saving grace as it manages to be somewhat entertaining.

I'm going to give the SP a bit more time to see if it can rekindle that old Crackdown magic but overall, based on my own hands on impressions, those reviews seem pretty much dead on.

Crackdown is the very definition of middling - a sequel that came way too late to mean anything to anyone outside of those few who are content with a slightly prettier version of the original game.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That didn't really seem to help the PS3.

Digital wasn't even a thing back then, nor were service games. It's a big difference if you can play your entire digital library on PS5 at launch compared to a PS2 library you have to swap a disc out every time to enjoy.

People will absolutely want to carry over their digital collection going forward, and if PS5 offers that then they will lock a lot of people into their system.

Yeah, the digital era will make it as you say, people will be locked into their existing ecosystems, so if PS5 is BC it won't be a reset like past gens were, imho

What's more, BC will make this gen's games be even more relevant come next gen, specially for people jumping from the MS ship to Sony's, as they will be able to play PS4 games without the need of a remaster.

Very true, folks that never bought a PS4 can buy PS5 knowing they can enjoy all the games released previously, things like Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Yakuza, Persona etc, will become extra reasons to own the machine.

Yeah, well i guess we will have to see what that actually means for Sony. Right now it's all just wishful thinking

I know, it seems too obvious to not happen but we'll have to wait and see.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017

Definitely. If Days Gone scores lowly it will be just as messy (hoping for an 80+ here). I actually thought this thread is no where near the worse in terms of toxicity (maybe because initial expectations were lower) in comparison to the Sea of Thieves or other threads.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hear ya, i understand what your saying, but it is an RPG and thats why it has all of those things. I would argue that the combat is kind of wonky, even though it does get deep as the game goes on, the "special" abilities (the Disney rides) while cool looking, also feel wonky, and sometime block your entire screen so you can't see anything. I agree that the pacing and cutscenes are the most dated aspect of the game. The reason I made this comparison is, that KH3 feel like a game from 2007, it is polished and looks nice, but so does Crackdown. They are different genres but both games play like older titles, which is fine, but one of them has amazing reviews and one of them has horrendous reviews, just seems kind of odd to me.

I really don't think KH3 plays like a decade old game. It's just ridiculously fluid, polished, creative, diverse and free form. As soon as you see it or control it, it feels and looks next gen. In comparison CD3's animations and gameplay have no where near this degree of polish or fluidity, let alone any where near the diversity. Your comparison probably isn't the best, and if anything helps to highlight why people may have expected far more from CD3.

fqbQuji.gif

vnw6b0O.gif

GroundedYearlyColt.gif

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Digital wasn't even a thing back then, nor were service games. It's a big difference if you can play your entire digital library on PS5 at launch compared to a PS2 library you have to swap a disc out every time to enjoy.

People will absolutely want to carry over their digital collection going forward, and if PS5 offers that then they will lock a lot of people into their system.

Very true, folks that never bought a PS4 can buy PS5 knowing they can enjoy all the games released previously, things like Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Yakuza, Persona etc, will become extra reasons to own the machine.

I know, it seems too obvious to not happen but we'll have to wait and see.
True but next gen is still looking to be a reset with the difference in products and services both companies will be offering. But yea, many will be locked in on both sides.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. If Days Gone scores lowly it will be just as messy (hoping for an 80+ here). I actually thought this thread is no where near the worse in terms of toxicity (maybe because initial expectations were lower) in comparison to the Sea of Thieves or other threads.
yeh, the sea of thieves review thread was brutal. If anything at least these types of threads are entertaining in a way.