• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So you think there is some kind of secret comglomerate of reviewers that all scheme how to talk about certain games beforehand so when all the reviews drop in a span of 1 or 2 days, everybody is on the same page?

Ok then.

The lengths people will go to in denial of the most obvious and likely outcome is sort of amusing.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Because it's a game that literally ignores just about every advancement and evolution within the medium since the first game released twelve years ago.

And the MP isn't particularly good either.

It's not a bad game but it's certainly nothing special and unless you simply want Crackdown 1 with slightly better visuals and practically no other added features or improvements you're going to come away underwhelmed.

To put CD3 in perspective, Apex Legends is F2P yet has better gameplay mechanics, visuals and overall production values than CD3, which MS hyped as a AAA release.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I have read (and watched) a bunch of them, and thats just kind of the impression that I get - they are trying to generate outrage. Maybe they really hate the game and want everyone to know vociferously. I am not trying to deny them their thoughts and score, just putting it out there (and I have read reviews for bad games since the 80's - I think the tone across a lot of these reviews is kind of... uncalled for)
Or maybe they think it's a middling game. It's really not that complex fam.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I see we're still at the "reviewers are out of touch/click bait low scores" phase of this review thread. That's a shame but expected for any high profile first party exclusive game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's weird - I have played 50-60mc games and they are way worse then crackdown, by a HUGE margin. CD isnt a 9 or 10, but a solid 7-8 imo. I wouldn't ever come out and say it's low scores for clickbait, but, I have to wonder a bit.
I have played 90+mc games that are way worse than some 60mc games. It's subjective. Reviewers didn't all collectively get together and decide this is the game that they were choosing to abandon their professional integrity for and create clickbait reviews.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the current livestream Gamekult is doing about the game and yeah, they're brutal with it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see we're still at the "reviewers are out of touch/click bait low scores" phase of this review thread. That's a shame but expected for any high profile first party exclusive game.
We are on rapidly getting into a "the reviewers are part of a secret cabal hell-bent on destroying Crackdown 3" narrative now.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Imagine if Insomniac made Crackdown 3.

Just imagine.

Stages of grief are pretty typical in threads like these among the most strident of fans.

We saw this in the Sea of Thieves thread, the No Man's Sky thread, and The Order thread before it.

Funny thing? Almost everyone sooner or later takes off the rose-colored glasses and comes over to where everyone else is/was.

Gamekult seems to agree with you.
that man has a family. at least leave them something to bury.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I totally believe that. I totally believe that if Phil Spencer just said we have an announcement on Monday on a Friday and then dropped this exact same game on gamepass that it would have got a lot better scores. There is no way this game is a 4 out of ten.

What, specifically, do you think this game offers that is higher than a 4?

The visuals and animation are at least ten years behind the curve.

The gameplay mechanics are just as archaic and the core gameplay lacks any real variety.

The MP is nothing special and seems very bare bones and the oft-touted destruction is less impressive than a game made ten years ago. (Red Faction: Guerrilla)

True, enjoyment is subjective but I'd say a 4 is a very reasonable score having played it myself.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Greenberg has always been a douche. He was a bigger douche during 360/ps3 days.

And in the early X1 days.

8GNhVbl.png

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
So you think there is some kind of secret comglomerate of reviewers that all scheme how to talk about certain games beforehand so when all the reviews drop in a span of 1 or 2 days, everybody is on the same page?

Ok then.

Naa, its just that taking a crap on a game like this is really good business (if you are a website wanting to generate clicks). You can call me whatever you want, but god damn is it working, even on something like this review thread ;)

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I think that gamers enjoy piling on to issues. Like, I don't believe that all the people railing on Sony for crossplay actually care about crossplay. And I doubt everyone commenting in here actually cares about Crackdown (I don't care about it but I care about the health of the platform as a whole). So in that sense I don't think it's completely unfair for MS fans to feel like there's a bias, but I also think there's some persecution complex gong on there as well. It's not like the game is great and the reviewers are all conspiring to be biased against it after all.

Not to derail, but Cross play is the future when it comes to having online games last longer. BEING split on different platforms for the same game doesn't make sense anymore. If online infrastructure was complete shit on one platform then I argue it makes sense to go where the stable infrastructure is. But currently, it's pretty good all around maybe Internal servers by Nintendo are not great for their first party, but that doesn't affect games like Rocket league and the likes.

The reason there's so much back and fourth is actually more of the fault of MS and Phil. He publicly wanted this game to hang in the same space as Halo, gears. ANd if that's what his vision was, then he should have let it become that and not be something that at the beginning was dictated by cloud tech which the rest of the company was trying to push for investors.
Sumo is a very talented bunch I still believe Sonic all stars transformed is better than mario kart. But they needed seriously to make the game they wanted, and if they had a vision that had them re-thinking what crackdown was then so be it.
Taking a game where there hasn't been anything since it's shit sequel in 2010 is not something I would have had them make and not update to modern open world games.

I feel bad, as they are very talented, but this project was mismanaged by higher ups and put into a spotlight when it was never super big to begin with and that blame goes on Phil.
He should have put his foot down at some point and been like the cloud stuff isn't working, were scrapping it. Maybe for a sequel. They could have seriously made an amazing multiplayer component with just premade destruction animations.
I would have done that, with a powerball tron type of setup where you start with nothing and have to pick up more orbs to get around, to jump to higher places to get weapons.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The reason this thread is this long, and full of a lot of stupid shit, is because of console wars. It's what drives a lot of the traffic and content on the gaming side of this board. It's probably the reason the super long "Sony First Party" and "Xbox First Party" threads exist. It's why E3 gets as much hype as it does. It's why the minute a new game is announced people want details as to "exclusivity" or who has the marketing rights. It's the reason any thread about an independent developer having issues or financial problems is full of "MS/Sony should buy them!" It's no different than sports, or cars, or phones. We aren't really above it as much as some people here might want to think. Everyone here has their specific preferences, and many cases that boils down to validating their purchase of a certain game playing box.

If Crackdown were some random multiplatform game published by 505 or something, of course this thread wouldn't be as long, but if that were the case, it also wouldn't have gotten as much attention to begin with.

Great post. I admit my part of the blame...

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me a lot of the order 1886 review thread.
But I think burned even more because the order looked amazing.

For all it's faults I actually think The Order is the better game by a significant margin. That game is both visually superb and the shooting is decent.

Crackdown 3 does nothing well. The shooting is boring, the platforming is weak, and the visuals do not impress in the slightest.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
I totally believe that. I totally believe that if Phil Spencer just said we have an announcement on Monday on a Friday and then dropped this exact same game on gamepass that it would have got a lot better scores. There is no way this game is a 4 out of ten.

So, you'd rather games get sent out as a surprise so people buy them without the knowledge of a review?

Yeah, I'm not up for that at all. We NEED reviews to warn us of Stinkers like this, Jump Force, Quiet Man etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The visuals and animation are 10 years behind the curve? That's what we're going with?
I believe most people and reviews are talking about (1) the lateral movement character animations, (2) the poor mission design, (3) the lack of enemy diversity, (4) the car physics, (5) the lack of difficulty, (6) the lack of energy and excitement, (7) the lack of challenge for getting things like orbs, (8) the disappointing length, (9) frequently mediocre boss fights, and (10) the lack of NPC density/life in the world.

The visual clarity and colors are not among the complaints.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Naa, its just that taking a crap on a game like this is really good business (if you are a website wanting to generate clicks). You can call me whatever you want, but god damn is it working, even on something like this review thread ;)
What do you even mean with "game like this"? As someone else already said, why do you think 90% of reviwers suddenly decided to throw their integrity out the window for this game, simultatiously? Please do tell.

This thread is partially that big because people like you are in denial and come along with the most ridiculous arguments, like "reviews don't matter" in a review thread, or "90% of reviewers decided to shit on this game because for some reason this is the only game where clickbait works". Or disingenuous list wars. Or....I could go on, I'll stop here.

Just put off the tinfoil hat ffs.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all it's faults I actually think The Order is the better game by a significant margin. That game is both visually superb and the shooting is decent.

Crackdown 3 does nothing well. The shooting is boring, the platforming is weak, and the visuals do not impress in the slightest.

There is a lot wrong with The Order. But it certainly looks leagues better than CD3.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I believe most people and reviews are talking about (1) the lateral movement character animations, (2) the poor mission design, (3) the lack of enemy diversity, (4) the car physics, (5) the lack of difficulty, (6) the lack of energy and excitement, (7) the lack of challenge for getting things like orbs, (8) the disappointing length, and (9) frequently mediocre boss fights.

But if you'd like to distill that down to just visuals and animation concerns, I suppose that's your business.

That's exactly what someone just said in the thread. That's literally the first thing I read. I will play and judge the game for myself but from the little I've seen doesn't look like an early gen 360 game. That still doesn't mean it's a good game. I'm just not seeing how this looks like a game from 2009.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I have played 90+mc games that are way worse than some 60mc games. It's subjective. Reviewers didn't all collectively get together and decide this is the game that they were choosing to abandon their professional integrity for and create clickbait reviews.

When I see a 50-60, I expect something about the game to be fundamentally broken. Keeping in mind that the review scales generally seem to start at ~50, I would expect the game to crash a lot, or have horrible frame rates, unplayable or something huge like that.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly what someone just said in the thread. That's literally the first thing I read. I will play and judge the game for myself but from the little I've seen doesn't look like an early gen 360 game. That still doesn't mean it's a good game. I'm just not seeing how this looks like a game from 2009.
The last footage I saw had a character trying to get into a car, getting stuck on the side of the car, animation completely frozen for a second, then teleporting to the car that's already driving away, all with either a compeltely frozen character or stiff as fuck animations.
Sorry but the animations most definetly look like a game from 2009.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The last footage I saw had a character trying to get into a car, getting stuck on the side of the car, animation completely frozen for a second, then teleporting to the car that's already driving away, all with either a compeltely frozen character or stiff as fuck animations.
Sorry but the animations most definetly look like a game from 2009.

Was that a bug or does that happen every time you try and get into a car? I get stuck on geometry and weird shit happens in a polished games like COD Black Ops 4 all of the time. I don't say it looks like COD Black Ops on 360.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was that a bug or does that happen every time you try and get into a car? I get stuck on geometry and weird shit happens in a polished games like COD Black Ops 4 all of the time. I don't say it looks like COD Black Ops on 360.
I didn't try to replicate it. Tried the game at a friends place yesterday and sure as hell won't buy the game. All I can tell you is that the animations suck real bad.

I read the quote, not their post.
Cool, if you read the contents you still should know very well what they were going for. Had nothing to do with opinions being subjective. At all.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I see a 50-60, I expect something about the game to be fundamentally broken. Keeping in mind that the review scales generally seem to start at ~50, I would expect the game to crash a lot, or have horrible frame rates, unplayable or something huge like that.
A 50 should be a game that's completely average and not worth playing, despite being playable. Or a game that's decent but with bad tech issues. A game that is literally broken (as in literally cannot be played) should be getting a 1 or 0.

To me a 60 means you can play the game and find some ways to enjoy it or some things interesting about it, despite it paling entirely next to a slew of other games being released.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's a game that does absolutely nothing well.

Not a thing.

It's a boring sandbox, has lackluster visuals, mediocre combat, and very average mission design with little variety.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Come on. Even Red Dead 2 had glitchy moments and that's an animation masterpiece. I got my horse caught on a fence and it spazzed out. Floating rocks. Floating characters. Climbing up to surfaces that didn't exist.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't try to replicate it. Tried the game at a friends place yesterday and sure as hell won't buy the game. All I can tell you is that the animations suck real bad.

I'll try on gamepass well before paying anything for this. This is exactly why I just don't bother posting in gaming anymore. Ya'll on some how dumb can a grown man sound shit.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think some honestly need to accept that a lot of reviewers are rightfully very burned out on open-world design that doesn't move the needle. By the same token, I think some taking criticisms that track closely with genre exhaustion by reviewers-at-large to be a counterpoint to other people describing their own enjoyment are out of line as well.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I am having just as much fun traversing the game world in Crackdown 3 as I did in Spider-Man where the web slinging was awesome of course. I basically hate numerical review scores in general regardless of which game or talk about bias and such. I would personally score Spider-Man as a "must play for its gameplay" in terms of how fun it was to do things in it, and so far that is right where I feel with Crackdown 3 based on just having fun with what I can do in the world that the developer created.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
One serious question, if this game would have been a remake of the first, but exactly the same except the first one evil gangs instead of terranova, would have scored better? I get what a lot of people say that the game feels old, dated or old fashioned, but usually feeling old is not that bad considered on a remake.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Who cares about game reviews? Play what you like.
at the end of the day, that's the bottom line. and it's okay to like a game that others think it shit.

Chromehounds was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games and it reviewed like shit and I would agree with those reviews. I just found a lot of enjoyment in it and made a lot of great memories with friends playing it. Doesn't mean I would disagree with the reviews. It was deficient in many, many areas. But it struck my chords the right way, so I loved it.

So it will be with this game. If you like, it, love it. Just use reviews to guide your expectations.

One serious question, if this game would have been a remake of the first, but exactly the same except the first one evil gangs instead of terranova, would have scored better? I get what a lot of people say that the game feels old, dated or old fashioned, but usually feeling old is not that bad considered on a remake.
Probably not. Look at what Capcom did with Resident Evil 2's remake. That's the kind of standard that "remakes" are being compared to.

If the game was just an HD update to Crackdown...idunno. HD updates don't usually get reviews.