• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
This is the exact problem I have with it, it feels exactly like the original but with some polished graphics and particle effects added on top. They've not added anything to really evolve the game at all, actually taking things out from Crackdown 2 such as wingsuits and helicopters.

The helicopters and wingsuits (less so) in Crackdown 2 essentially broke the game, though. It's a platformer, and they just let you fly anywhere. I wouldn't mind them in a "keys to the city" mode, but in the main game, the helicopters just made it too easy to hunt for orbs.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree with the hate here.

It is persistent too.
maybe find something to do other than shit on this game?

Nah, I'm happy to express my opinion.

If you can't take some dissenting opinions then the Ignore feature is a button press away.

Also, just an FYI, stating that a game is middling and average is hardly shitting on it.

Get some perspective, if you're capable.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The reason this thread is this long, and full of a lot of stupid shit, is because of console wars. It's what drives a lot of the traffic and content on the gaming side of this board. It's probably the reason the super long "Sony First Party" and "Xbox First Party" threads exist. It's why E3 gets as much hype as it does. It's why the minute a new game is announced people want details as to "exclusivity" or who has the marketing rights. It's the reason any thread about an independent developer having issues or financial problems is full of "MS/Sony should buy them!" It's no different than sports, or cars, or phones. We aren't really above it as much as some people here might want to think. Everyone here has their specific preferences, and many cases that boils down to validating their purchase of a certain game playing box.

If Crackdown were some random multiplatform game published by 505 or something, of course this thread wouldn't be as long, but if that were the case, it also wouldn't have gotten as much attention to begin with.

This is a good post in the sense that it is true. It's all true. But I read it and I feel it's sort of negative take.

I want to mention just a couple things about it since this thread is sort of wrapping and we're talking.

One thing. A lot of people are console waring to blow off steam. They probably would never act like that face to face. In fact they might not really want to act like that here. But it's got to come out. You know, you act out. It's not ideal behavior, but certainly not uncommon.

Nother thing. Some people who scrap in console wars are also good members who make a lot of good posts, have knowledge, are fun to talk to, etc. What sucks is when someone only console wars. The straight-up stanning that goes on these days is just as annoying, honestly. But most people who participate don't ONLY console war. I think that's an important distinction.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
The helicopters and wingsuits (less so) in Crackdown 2 essentially broke the game, though. It's a platformer, and they just let you fly anywhere. I wouldn't mind them in a "keys to the city" mode, but in the main game, the helicopters just made it too easy to hunt for orbs.
I could be wrong, but both were end game tools that rewarded you for leveling up your driving and agility stats, they didn't just give you a wingsuit and helicopter from the start. The idea of Crackdown is to be over powered by the end of the game.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I'm happy to express my opinion.

If you can't take some dissenting opinions then the Ignore feature is a button press away.

Also, just an FYI, stating that a game is middling and average is hardly shitting on it.

Get some perspective, if you'e capable.

you know what trolling is right?

That snide remark at the end isn't needed. I didn't throw insults at you I just commented.
Your crusade against this game is a bit over the top. People will like the game and buy it. Im saying that you are really offended by this game. And I was offended by your dozen posts that are becoming over the top. You are also throwing insults too.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
3000+ responses. Fuck me man, a lot of interest in this game.

It's a shame most of it is shit posting instead of the good critical posts.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quoting myself here. There are a ton of things in Crackdown 3 that have improved and evolved.

I'm not saying Crackdown 3 is a massive overhaul, but anyone claiming there isn't a lot of improvement, just isn't looking hard enough or comparing to the original games.

Also, I'd be interested to hear you explain how an MP mode where the entire city is completely destructible isn't evolution? I've personally never played a game where every wall, roof, or floor and be blown through, and every building topped.

This also doesn't touch on the numerous mini-boss variants, such as shield enemies that require ad-hoc use of explosives, particular weapons, or even running into with vehicles to take out.

Almost everything you've posted are standard sequel improvements (most of which are small if not downright superficial) yet none of those address the core mechanics, which are essentially the same as a game from twelve years ago.

This game feels like the original with some very minor tweaks and nothing you've posted (nor anything I've played thus far) is evidence of any real evolution.

At best what you've posted is some basic refinement, which is the absolute bare minimum for a game that has been this long in development.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not having a go at you champ, just seems you are super keen to let us all know you don't like the game. I actually am enjoying it quite a bit so far. Mindless fun. Much like the original. Not too sure what people wanted out of a Crackdown game to be honest...
A Crackdown game with better gameplay, visuals, story, animations, mission structure.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I could be wrong, but both were end game tools that rewarded you for leveling up your driving and agility stats, they didn't just give you a wingsuit and helicopter from the start. The idea of Crackdown is to be over powered by the end of the game.

The endgame is when you find the last orb. :P You could get the helicopter in C2 as soon as you got level 5 in agility (the helicopter pads could only be reached at level 5). After that, you didn't need to climb anymore. And you should get to level 5 long before you take down the last boss.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you know what trolling is right?

That snide remark at the end isn't needed. I didn't throw insults at you I just commented.

If you think my contributions to this thread are trolling feel free to report me.

I disagree given the way I've gone about expressing my opinions.

And your post to me was snark, passive-aggressive drivel so please don't play the victim.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
If you think my contributions to this thread are trolling feel free to report me.

I disagree given the way I've gone about expressing my opinions.

And your post to me was snark, passive-aggressive drivel so please don't play the victim.

I deleted the part about you finding something better to do. Im sorry about that.

But it still stands that you are on a mission to hate crackdown 3. And those of us who wanted to read anything resembling a conversation about the reviews or find new ones found pages of you shitting on the game.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a perfect Gamepass game.

It's a terrible standalone $60 game.

That's how I look at it. If you have Gamepass, you should mess around with it, since it's included with your sub.

Otherwise, wait for the inevitable price drop.

Is this what people want out of gamepass? Bad games that they otherwise wouldnt touch, but because they are part of a subscription they play, even though by their own admission they arent that good?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I deleted the part about you finding something better to do. Im sorry about that.

But it still stands that you are on a mission to hate crackdown 3. And those of us who wanted to read anything resembling a conversation about the reviews or find new ones found pages of you shitting on the game.

I loved the original game. LOVED it.

But that was twelve years ago.

And again, saying the game is average is not shitting on it.

Not by a long shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Regardless of the reviews on this game I'm having a really good time with this game in co-op.
co-op makes a lot of games seem better.

people swear by Fallout 76 do so because of the co-op. Come to think of it, I swore by Chromehounds because of the co-op.

turns out, playing anything with friends can make it more enjoyable.

Is this what people want out of gamepass? Bad games that they otherwise wouldnt touch, but because they are part of a subscription they play, even though by their own admission they arent that good?
It certainly is shielding a lot of the criticism.

Ask people who are enjoying themselves if they paid $60 for their copy or not.

I'mma guess that number is like 2 people here, tops.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
The endgame is when you find the last orb. :P You could get the helicopter in C2 as soon as you got level 5 in agility (the helicopter pads could only be reached at level 5). After that, you didn't need to climb anymore. And you should get to level 5 long before you take down the last boss.
Ok that's cool that finding all orbs was your end game, fortunately you can still do that. To me end game was getting overpowered and doing crazy stuff with a variety of tools. Taking some of those tools out of a sequel years later is a bad move for me.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Is this really your defense of the game? That the formula couldn't have been improved upon?

Really?

So how come all these other franchises are effectively able to make superior sequels and reboots?

Just off the top of my head, here are some ways to improve the Crackdown formula:

- Decent animation
- More varied traversal options
- Wider option of melee combat techniques given that these agents are essentially transhuman and enhanced beings.
- Better weapon feedback, better hit detection, better enemy physics and AI
- Some manner of cover system
- More varied mission design
- Implement some manner of destructibility in the SP campaign so that the battlefield becomes more malleable and varied and allow the agents to manipulate the environment using their superhuman strength

And that's just off the top of my head.
Why the hell would it need a cover system? What's wrong with the traversal options present? You Double jump and air dash.

What are all these other franchises you speak of?

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
You can like him if you want. No need for passive aggression. Not sure about racist, but the dude is pretty garbage in general (my opinion clearly). More so than your usual fanboy. I never cared for them legitimizing that weirdo.
No passive aggression here. I'm neutral if anything on Tim I just had never seen anything about racism so I'm very curious

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Edit: isn't it kind of strange that it is completely ok for a Barca fan to say "Real sucks, I hate them". How do you respond to such a person? "You're just a football club warrior and a Barca fanboy!" The Barca fan will respond: "thank you for this compliment".
Why are gamers acting like catholic school students in this regard? Especially when you can't hurt the feelings of billion dollar companies. Why are we so overprotective and oversensitive?

Video game companies aren't sports teams.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
yep. it would have been disgustingly good.

maybe MS will bankroll some projects for them in the future. the work they did on Sunset cannot be overstated and should not be underappreciated.
I think they will definitley bankroll more future Insomniac projects. Sunset was just dumb fun with a decent sense of humor; very enjoyable game overall. Insomniac is money.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
4.6/5 on the Store page. I never ever trust user reviews. MC is REALLY bad for that too.
so are store page reviews. I would ignore user reviews entirely for awhile outside of Era impressions. Even with Era impressions you have to read them with a bit of filtration active because some people won't be able to be honest with themselves for a few weeks or months. watch streams and decide if it looks fun to you or not and go from there.

I think they will definitley bankroll more future Insomniac projects. Sunset was just dumb fun with a decent sense of humor; very enjoyable game overall. Insomniac is money.
well here's hoping.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
so are store page reviews. I would ignore user reviews entirely for awhile outside of Era impressions. Even with Era impressions you have to read them with a bit of filtration active because some people won't be able to be honest with themselves for a few weeks or months.
Yeah that's what I am saying, ignore reviews and read impressions rather than looking at a number.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it's so controversial to admit that Microsoft just isn't that great of a publisher, after a while excuses mean less and less, how some aren't tired of looking to the future saying "maybe this will change things!".

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
The 'controversy' surrounding the reviews for this game is so weird to me.
It feels like reaching a consensus for this game should be the easiest thing ever, and that consensus is that this game is pretty unremarkable in every way possible.

Am I having fun playing what's there? Sure.
Why is that the answer to all the valid criticism people have for this game? Fun doesn't excuse non-existent and repetitive mission design, lack of activities, a dull and lifeless world and so on. This game feels like they built the world, implemented the character and had very little time or ability left to realize the rest of the game.
This isn't 'a game stuck in 2007', I'm not comparing it to the original Crackdown (which I never played). This game is a game released in a bare-bones state. It's a bare-bones game no matter what year you pick on the calendar.

On what basis does this game warrant better reviews? Everything it does, it does so in an average way or worse.
Most games aren't groundbreaking and don't re-invent the wheel , that would be a ridiculous standard to hold every new game to, but when you claim a game should score better, I am looking for a reason.
You can't point to a single thing in Crackdown 3 and say 'This has the best, or one of the best implementations of X feature and I think it should get more credit and recognition for it', you can't claim it's a comprehensive package as a singleplayer game, multiplayer game, or both combined. You can't claim people are making up new reasons to criticize it, no one is faking expectations and claiming to be disappointed because this game doesn't have an amazing story or award winning voice acting.

I have not played the multiplayer but I don't need to play it to know that it suffers from the same issues of little content and lacking features, and that the value of the destruction element is being judged fairly.

The real issue here is not whether this game deserves a score of 60 or 70 on Metacritic. If the score was 70, people would say it should be 80.
There's a mass of people who simply refuse to acknowledge the issues with this game and counteract valid criticism with 'I'm having fun! ', and in their minds 'a game I can have fun with'' couldn't possibly score this low and has the average score of 8.

JohnCarpenter1306

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 18, 2018

I paid $69 AUS for it, and i'm really happy with my purchase so far. Love the look of the game. Traversal is simple yet fun. I'm only about 3 hours into it (playing on One X) and I can't complain so far. It's not a game i'd have waited so many years for, but I feel like i'm getting my money's worth out of it. I'm yet to try multiplayer, but that'll be next on my list.
Single player though, I think it perfectly fine and worth what I paid for it. Main problem here is the constant delays and hype for this game was beyond belief. People had a game in their heads NO ONE could match. This is just Crackdown 1 made in 2019... and i'm totally fine with that.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't agree with a review you don't agree, but some of the indignant responses in here are just flat out embarrassing and stupid. Some of you seriously need to grow up and just enjoy your shit without worrying what others think about it.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Had a bit play early. Didn't seem terrible. But it didn't feel great either. Definitely feels dated. Almost like a 360 game remastered. Doubt I'll play any more as the game didn't hook me or want to play more. There's games that are similar and just do things better. 6/10 seems accurate enough based on my short time.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I am friends with people who became online personalities(reiviews and other crap), and just based on the stuff they put out, creating outrage on easy targets is right in that wheelhouse. Theres no journalistic integrity to hinge on, but rather huge incentives to drive traffic, and they found outrage culture is the way to do it. I am not making this up, controversy drives traffic. I can't say for sure big sites got an editorial directive, but if I was in business doing reviews I could see using this to drive some extra site traffic from people who normally wouldnt be engaged.

So, Crackdown 3 now has a *checks notes* 60 score on metacritic because *check notes* 49 game review sites wanted to drive up traffic by creating controversy.

Have you considered that Crackdown 3 just isn't a very good game?

Oct 27, 2017
I am friends with people who became online personalities(reiviews and other crap), and just based on the stuff they put out, creating outrage on easy targets is right in that wheelhouse. Theres no journalistic integrity to hinge on, but rather huge incentives to drive traffic, and they found outrage culture is the way to do it. I am not making this up, controversy drives traffic. I can't say for sure big sites got an editorial directive, but if I was in business doing reviews I could see using this to drive some extra site traffic from people who normally wouldnt be engaged.
tumblr_oinzp54x5O1u501aoo1_400.gif

The defense force national anthem ;P

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Almost everything you've posted are standard sequel improvements (most of which are small if not downright superficial) yet none of those address the core mechanics, which are essentially the same as a game from twelve years ago.

This game feels like the original with some very minor tweaks and nothing you've posted (nor anything I've played thus far) is evidence of any real evolution.

At best what you've posted is some basic refinement, which is the absolute bare minimum for a game that has been this long in development.

I'm not trying to say that Crackdown 3 is revolutionary. The Cloud-tech is borderline revolutionary, but it's also not part of the campaign, which is the main draw.

And I don't generally disagree that the refinements seen in the game are evolutionary in the same way most other sequels are. Of course a sequel is going to build on and improve on the mechanics in the original game. I would argue that Crackdown saw a greater evolution of mechanics, enemy types, mission types, tech, weapons, gadgets, Narrative and navigation than Gears 4 did, for example.

I would whole heatedly also agree to disagree that the improvements I've mentioned in that post are minor though. Have you gone back and played the original Crackdown recently? The game essentially has one enemy type, and the only variance are weapons, damage, and amount of health. Adding 9 new bosses, numerous mini-boss variants, new flying drone enemies, shield enemies, and new standard enemy variants is not minor, that is a significant amount of new content. Same with the upgrades, adding 25 completely new upgrades, that significantly improve the gameplay isn't minor. Neither is adding a new car that can scale buildings, or being able to transform into a tank.

This game still feels like Crackdown at its core, which is personally, what I'm most happy about. I wanted a big, fun, crazy sandbox, that added to and improved the original game, but kept it's core building leaping, upgrading, explosion-fetish, crazy fun.

What exactly would you like to see changed?

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a disappointment. At least the cloud tech works but for it to be downgraded in the manner than it has, its not really much to shout about. Many people straight doubted the tech though but it works. Its just as great as it should have been.

As for the game; no parties in MP? Are you taking the piss?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wouldn't the controversy be a good score at this point?

Rejam

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ms fans act like they are a cult. You can't say anything negative about Xbox brand. They will hunt you down you ask for a ban. You can't deny how great their games are and the whole media is wrong.

But when it comes with articles saying Xbox is set to dominate nextgen they are right.

They make 1-2 threads about negative aspects from sony. They point Sony as arrogant. Always the same users and it is fine.

But if you show the reality to them how Ms lacks in game department. How bad there games are you get banned.

That's how the cult of Xbox works in Era since last E3 allowed by the mods

Everyone with eyes know what I'm saying is the truth.

Everybody can see the whole threads created every week against Sony. How arrogant they are. Against Lauren, Ryan. Always made by Xbox fans.
I think it works all ways. It isn't specific to Xbox, they are just having the roughest generation so it might appear to stand out more.

I was expecting a decent game that felt like a bit of a throwback but I wasnt really expecting reviewers to be so unanimous in their scores. Thought more would have appreciated its simplicity.
I also don't think saying 'it's fun' is a good counter point. Being fun isn't mutually exclusive to being a good game.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

735.gif

Imagine being this much of conspiracy nut.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably people in a game review thread on a game forum.

Reviews certainly aren't the end all, be all, but it's always crazy how people come into review threads to ask this silly question.
It would be like going into a first party thread and posting "who cares about "insert company's" first party."

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played a couple of hours, i'll admit I am not some super Crackdown fan but definitely remember having good times with the first game. I just see absolutely nothing in this game that warranted the insanely long development cycle. Usually when people say "it just looks like a higher res version of the original" its way off base, but here that looks to be the case. I play on a 55" 4k HDR set, sure the colors are bright and pop but I cannot point out any one thing thats an improvement over the original, except for the visuals.

Microsoft continues to shit the bed with their ip's. This and State of Decay 2 (to a lesser extent) are two franchises I really wanted to see them take advantage of. Instead we keep getting this extremely underwhelming sequels that only die hard purist of the original can sincerely appreciate. I just wish they could break through whatever barrier is causing their 1st party output to be so disappointing. I bet they're happy to have this out though finally so they can move on.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me a lot of the order 1886 review thread.
But I think burned even more because the order looked amazing.
These review threads are subjective.
Anyone can say that the sea of thieves thread sucks, or that the order 1886 review thread sucked.
80+% of ppl here in this thread probably haven't even read every page of it.
Even with "subpar" review threads, Xbox gets the best thread replies per category out there if compared to Sony.