• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could get CD1 for free though, why would you want the same game 12 years later? I don't understand.

In case you're not just being disingenuous, that poster was talking about people being happy about them not changing a lot in 12 years.
Are you seriously talking about disingenuousness immediately after the first paragraph of your post?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What agility level did you get your agent up to in order to find out that the platforming is no good?

I just climbed 4 towers in the game, leaping between them to get to the top, and it was spectacular. The platforms were placed around the buildings intelligently so that you'd have to search and figure out the puzzle to get to the top. You would need to be agility level 4 to get there.

So what level did you get up to in order to seemingly speak with such knowledge about the game? Did you try climbing a skyscraper?

And again about the physics with no examples.

The physics are circa 2007 at best. There's little to actually interact with and what is there is pretty straightforward and unremarkable.

Toss a barrel is flies through the air like a barrel. Toss a car and it flies through the air like a heavier barrel.

It's basic and gets the job done but there isn't much flexibility, largely because the actual toolset within the game is minimal. You made that almost laughable critique of BOTW but what you fail to grasp (or conveniently ignore) is that game has entire systems in place that allow you to experiment and play with the physics in practically endless variations.

Just Cause 4, while less polished, does likewise.

Also, the characters themselves in CD3 possess no real weight. Jump from a 100-foot roof and they typically land like bouncy little sprites. Run into an enemy and nothing happens, unless you mash the melee button and watch some pitiful little punch combo unleash with all the force of a strong belch.

Again, like everything else about this game, the physics are adequate.

Certainly nothing special.

Oh and the level up argument is just sad. If I have to endure mundane mechanics for several hours before the game gets good, that's just poor game design.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Why would you desire and encourage this level of stagnation? What is so special about Crackdown that it gets a free pass for things many other games get shat on for? I don't get that!
You could get CD1 for free though, why would you want the same game 12 years later? I don't understand.

In case you're not just being disingenuous, that poster was talking about people being happy about them not changing a lot in 12 years.

I said that I, as in myself, just want Crackdown 1 again. Me, personally.

Why?

I think there aren't any other games that play like Crackdown. It really is a unique type of game. That's why I'm personally okay if it didn't go out of it's way to do more because I'm happy enough with the base formula.

Crackdown is 3 things to me. Gang Shootouts, Collecting Orbs, and Platforming. That's all it's gotta be. Crackdown 2 went off the rails with the zombie stuff, didn't care for it too much. I've played CD1 to death so CD3 is giving me something new.

I feel the same about Smash, if it never progressed passed 64, I'd e perfectly fine because that core loop is so great for me. The game did add new stuff and I love it more. It also seems Crackdown 3 did add new things like weapons and vehicles so it's not completely the same. I'm fine taking it as it is.

I haven't been able to check out the feedback in depth but seeing it getting trashed made me think the formula got destroyed but it's more so that it didn't evolved. That's not that big of an issue for me.

Again, Personally.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I said that I, as in myself, just want Crackdown 1 again. Me, personally.

Why?

I think there aren't any other games that play like Crackdown. It really is a unique type of game. That's why I'm personally okay if it didn't go out of it's way to do more because I'm happy enough with the base formula.

Crackdown is 3 things to me. Gang Shootouts, Collecting Orbs, and Platforming. That's all it's gotta be. Crackdown 2 went off the rails with the zombie stuff, didn't care for it too much. I've played CD1 to death so CD3 is giving me something new.

I feel the same about Smash, if it never progressed passed 64, I'd e perfectly fine because that core loop is so great for me. The game did add new stuff and I love it more. It also seems Crackdown 3 did add new things like weapons and vehicles so it's completely the same. I'm fine taking it as it is.

I haven't been able to check out the feedback in depth but seeing it getting trashed made me think the formula got destoryed but it's more so that it didn't evolved. That's not that big of an issue for me.

Again, Personally.

See, I have no problem with any of this, especially since I loved the first Crackdown, but this is a review thread and the stagnancy of the gameplay is why this game is getting hammered on by the critics.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I've posted the bet, are you gonna accept it or just ignore it? :)
Edge will give CD3 an 7 or higher, book it.

They'll have the extra time to really think about this game and what it means for the future of gaming. They'll get the urge to come back to the game and play a few more rounds of mp, or collect some more orbs in the single player. And in those moments, they won't remember the minor issues they had with the game, they'll remember the fun they had and the experiences they made along the way.

Edge is honestly weird with reviews, in terms of following the Zeitgeist. I could see this reviewing well.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
I almost always agree with reviews. This is a very rare case in which I don't. I'm having a blast, and I played like 6 straight hours yesterday. I loved part 1 and never played 2 (due to reviews). This one is was an obvious choice since it's free on gamepass.

Part 1 had repetitive missions as well, but what made it so fun was the carrot on a stick orbs and watching your character become so powerful. This is identical in that sense and it doesn't bother me. I'm much older than the average age on here, and I think that has a lot to do with it as well.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you seriously talking about disingenuousness immediately after the first paragraph of your post?

Well no, I was hoping you weren't being disingenuous because it'd make it easier to have a discussion. I feel like if you follow the discussion you can see that, in fact, the poster did just want the same game, so no I wasn't being disingenuous.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
See, I have no problem with any of this, especially since I loved the first Crackdown, but this is a review thread and the stagnancy of the gameplay is why this game is getting hammered on by the critics.

Oh i totally get that.

It seems like this is one of the times where a new release game seems to be appealing to the franchise fans and has a hard time getting new ones

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not the same game though. The same game is Crackdown 1. This is a different game.

Why do people want to play new MegaMan games year after year if they are largely similar to previous versions?

Firstly, Crackdown isn't Mega Man. The core game mechanics haven't aged like some untouchable 2D classic.

Secondly, MM as a franchise has actually evolved, changed, experimented, and progressed. Sometimes it faltered and sometimes it could be redundant but it has moved ever forward.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well no, I was hoping you weren't being disingenuous because it'd make it easier to have a discussion. I feel like if you follow the discussion you can see that, in fact, the poster did just want the same game, so no I wasn't being disingenuous.
And if you follow the other poster you can see he very clearly believes it to be the same game.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I don't get what is so surprising about some people wanting more or less a refined version of the first. There are a lot of games like Maldita Castilla that doesn't offer nothing new to the 2d platforming and are loved by a segment of the players. Maybe the first crackdown is not old enough to be considered retro, but is the same kind of love for old mechanics that you think worked well in the past and you still find fun enough.

Of course there are people that want exactly what the first game offered, and that's fine, and it's not a surprise. There are people with niche tastes. They are not wrong, and they are not rewarding the stagnation, they simply like that kind of game.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I don't get what is so surprising about some people wanting more or less a refined version of the first. There are a lot of games like Maldita Castilla that doesn't offer nothing new to the 2d platforming and are loved by a segment of the players. Maybe the first crackdown is not old enough to be considered retro, but is the same kind of love for old mechanics that you think worked well in the past and you still find fun enough.

Of course there are people that want exactly what the first game offered, and that's fine, and it's not a surprise. There are people with niche tastes. They are not wrong, and they are not rewarding the stagnation, they simply like that kind of game.

On the flip side I don't see why it is so hard for those same people to admit that to the vast majority of players a refined version of a 12 year old game isn't good enough. Hence the review score.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
On the flip side I don't see why it is so hard for those same people to admit that to the vast majority of players a refined version of a 12 year old game isn't good enough. Hence the review score.
I admit that CD3 will not please the majority of players, and obviously didn't please the majority of critics. Can you admit that some people are allowed to like the game for what it is and they are not doing nothing wrong?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Firstly, Crackdown isn't Mega Man. The core game mechanics haven't aged like some untouchable 2D classic.

Secondly, MM as a franchise has actually evolved, changed, experimented, and progressed. Sometimes it faltered and sometimes it could be redundant but it has moved ever forward.

This game evolved too. You just didn't play it to find out.

You've never answered me about how much of the game you played. I'm assuming zero at this point based on what you've been saying.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I admit that CD3 will not please the majority of players, and obviously didn't please the majority of critics. Can you admit that some people are allowed to like the game for what it is and they are not doing nothing wrong?

I never not admitted that, I just take issue with people saying "It's fun so screw the reviewers they're wrong!". You're (obviously) fully entitled to have fun with the game but at the same time an understanding that it is definitely NOT everyone's cup of tea is needed.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018

You've never answered me about how much of the game you played. I'm assuming zero at this point based on what you've been saying.

I agree with Tetra that the platforming is just abysmal. I've completed it, level 5 agility character.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I never not admitted that, I just take issue with people saying "It's fun so screw the reviewers they're wrong!". You're (obviously) fully entitled to have fun with the game but at the same time an understanding that it is definitely NOT everyone's cup of tea is needed.
I don't think critics are wrong, only like 50 of them. There are 5 that are right.

/jk

G Raff

Feb 14, 2019
I've finished the game in around the 9 hour mark and honestly the graphics might not be what you see in most games these days but for that 9 hours I had way more fun than I had playing Anthem so far.

This game gets a lot of unnecessary hate. It's a 7/10 for me and very enjoyable. It's like how Sunset Overdrive wasn't really praised but I loved that game also.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Really?

We're back to the "You didn't really play the game" bullshit?

Go back and read this thread, sport. I played maybe two hours (possibly less) because the gameplay loop was dishwater dull. I then read various critics to see if I needed to give it more of a chance and guess what?

The game really doesn't change the loop all that much.

I get that creating this narrative where I have it out for this game makes it easier for people like you and Premium (the other fella who claimed I hadn't played it) to dismiss my opinion but the truth is I wanted this game to be good - probably as much as you.

The difference is that I'm not going to accept mediocrity just because I've waited twelve years for a proper sequel.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Well at least you have a basis from which to speak. I'll still disagree with you, though.

That's fine. Opinions an' all that.

I don't think critics are wrong, only like 50 of them. There are 5 that are right.

/jk

I'm not really the best at articulating my points but I suppose I want to say I don't like people sticking their head in the sand when there's the same criticisms repeated ad nauseum but somehow only their opinion is the valid one. No smoke without fire, yada yada yada.

EDIT: I can't speak for anyone else but the only reason I am still posting in here is because I just wanted this game to be better than it was. I love Crackdown so much and I have waited 12 long years for a proper sequel and to get this? It's disappointing.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I've finished the game in around the 9 hour mark and honestly the graphics might not be what you see in most games these days but for that 9 hours I had way more fun than I had playing Anthem so far.

This game gets a lot of unnecessary hate. It's a 7/10 for me and very enjoyable. It's like how Sunset Overdrive wasn't really praised but I loved that game also.
the funny thing is SO is a better evolution of Crackdown than Crackdown 3. Sunset Overdrive, the litle sis that could.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sunset Overdrive has an 81 on Metacritic.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Jim Sterling's Video, he absolutely hated it.

Guess that means I need to go buy it as soon as the shops open.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do wish to state that regardless of this particular release, Game Pass is and remains awesome. I've seen some people use this as some manner of indirect attack on GP and I think that's unfair.

It's a good value and, ironically, being able to play this instead of purchase it is demonstrative of that value.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish to state that regardless of this particular release, Game Pass is and remains awesome. I've seen some people use this as some manner of indirect attack on GP and I think that's unfair.

It's a good value and, ironically, being able to play this instead of purchase it is demonstrative of that value.
But the problem with game pass and really any streaming thing is that is not a worry about cost but of time and time is the most important thing.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the funny thing is SO is a better evolution of Crackdown than Crackdown 3. Sunset Overdrive, the litle sis that could.

I think I've mentioned this to you before but Crackdown, in the right hands, could be one of the greatest franchises around. The bones and foundation are there; they just need the developers and resources to flesh it out properly.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But the problem with game pass and really any streaming thing is that is not a worry about cost but of time and time is the most important thing.

Well yes but if this or any service gives you copious options and plenty of quality offerings then we can forgive the missteps, right?

I didn't drop Netflix after The Cloverfield Paradox. : )

Granted, MS is nowhere in the same league as Sony or Nintendo when it comes to First Party software but Game Pass gives plenty of bang for the buck.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Really?

We're back to the "You didn't really play the game" bullshit?

Go back and read this thread, sport. I played maybe two hours (possibly less) because the gameplay loop was dishwater dull. I then read various critics to see if I needed to give it more of a chance and guess what?

The game really doesn't change the loop all that much.

I get that creating this narrative where I have it out for this game makes it easier for people like you and Premium (the other fella who claimed I hadn't played it) to dismiss my opinion but the truth is I wanted this game to be good - probably as much as you.

The difference is that I'm not going to accept mediocrity just because I've waited twelve years for a proper sequel.

Ok, 2 hours. You can't even pick up a car at that point. So you haven't really seen the physics in action first hand. That explains a lot. You never got the tether gun or the singularity grenade to play with the physics engine. But you're trying to talk with authority about the game's physics feeling "canned"? I'm not saying the physics are next level, but they are definitely on par with Just Cause 4 and BOTW. Nothing you have said has proven otherwise.

They each do something different with the physics engine, though. There's no rocket mine in Crackdown. But you can't pick up and throw a car in Just Cause 4, either. So why is one supposedly inferior from the other?

And yeah, the starting couple hours are not as much fun. Even for me. Leveled up, though, I'm having a blast with it.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I think I've mentioned this to you before but Crackdown, in the right hands, could be one of the greatest franchises around. The bones and foundation are there; they just need the developers and resources to flesh it out properly.
I don't know. SO was the crackdown concept in very good hands and didn't set the world on fire. Maybe is simply a kind of game that majority of people doesn't care much about.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, 2 hours. You can't even pick up a car at that point. So you haven't really seen the physics in action first hand. That explains a lot. You never got the tether gun or the singularity grenade to play with the physics engine. But you're trying to talk with authority about the game's physics feeling "canned"? I'm not saying the physics are next level, but they are definitely on par with Just Cause 4 and BOTW. Nothing you have said has proven otherwise.

They each do something different with the physics engine, though. There's no rocket mine in Crackdown. But you can't pick up and throw a car in Just Cause 4, either. So why is one supposedly inferior from the other?

And yeah, the starting couple hours are not as much fun. Even for me. Leveled up, though, I'm having a blast with it.

They're not.

It's simply untrue and no amount of throwing cars or a tether gun (both of which I've seen on video) changes that.

Again, you defenders keep trying to boost the quality of the game by standing on the shoulders of better software and it just makes CD3 look that much worse.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say Sunset Overdrive was anything like Crackdown, at all. They don't even feel the same. Then again I didn't really enjoy SO that much but I'm loving Crackdown 3 so thank fuck for that.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I wouldn't say Sunset Overdrive was anything like Crackdown, at all. They don't even feel the same. Then again I didn't really enjoy SO that much but I'm loving Crackdown 3 so thank fuck for that.

I think they have a lot in common, like the first crackdown is the grandpa of SO: Is a tps but above all things it's a platformer, where you are highly overpowered. Open world with different quests and objectives, open colorful world, mindless fun, crazy guns and lots, lots of enemies. Of course SO is more sophisticated and have a flow that Crackdown 1 lacked and CD3 doesn't reach.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
The rage posting over this game strikes me as the equivalent of going nuts over a direct to video Predator sequel. The original Predator movie was cheesy too!

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
At least VG appears to be quite smitten with it... despite the rather negative-sounding quote, they still gave it a 24 out of 7.
(Please tell me nobody's already done this joke before)

Can't say I'm all that surprised by how Crackdown 3 panned out... but then again, Crackdown has never looked appealing to me.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Far Cry New Dawn is getting markedly worse scores than FC5 because, despite having excellent production values and solid mechanics, it's too similar to the previous game, even at a lower retail price.

Except New Dawn isn't getting markedly worse scores. Its MC score is about 5-7 points lower depending on platform. It
I don't know. SO was the crackdown concept in very good hands and didn't set the world on fire. Maybe is simply a kind of game that majority of people doesn't care much about.

I'd say Saints Row 4 was more of a successor to Crackdown than SO and SR4 did pretty well. It wasn't critically acclaimed but got solid reviews and sold well.