• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
At this point there should be an official System Wars thread or even subsection of the forum. Mods can just shuffle everyone interested in list wars and all that jazz into one location.

Oct 27, 2017
I have played 2 hours... damn, this is so dated and very average... (animations, cinematics, gameplay,... ).... disappointing, so far :-/

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the worst posts I've ever seen

To be fair the post they replied too isn't much better... "Forza Horizon 4 doesn't count because I don't like driving games!! SO doesn't count because it's five years old!!".

Lol.

Both consoles have great exclusive games imo. I do think a lot of the Xbox / PC exclusives are unfairly thrown aside or overlooked because of Metacritic or a general apathy towards the Xbox brand though.

I enjoyed Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ryse, Ori and Gears 4 just as much as any of the PS4 console exclusives.

Crackdown 3 does look very poor though. I have Game Pass but I doubt I'll even try it because of how unappealing it looks gameplay wise.

S0L SUM0

Sumo Digital
Verified
Feb 14, 2019
So I'm on holiday after being rather busy for a little over four years, I figure as the results of that labour are about to hit tomorrow, I'd pop onto the internet see if any reviews had hit...

...maybe I should have stuck to the sangria ;)

First things first, in case you are wondering, I'm one of the people who made the Campaign side of the game at Sumo. There were quite a lot of us involved in that side of the game, not all at Sumo I better add, and we've been working on this game for quite a long time.

Now, clearly the reviews are a little mixed... Let me start by saying in no way do I disagree with anyones right to have an opinion. I'm disappointed in some of them and certainly I see points that are valid having being on the crazy journey it's been to get the game out...

...But... I also have to disagree as well. You can righly accuse me of bias, hey, i'm sure I look at the results positively, but let me tell you something first before you rush to judge me.

Over the years I've worked on well over 40 games and most, once we archive the code and launch it into the big bad world, I leave behind and rarely pick up to play again.

A select few, and the list is short, OutRun2/2006, Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed and now Crackdown 3, I can't wait to get a copy of to play again. In this case I even went out and bought an Xbox One X to play it, as I couldn't talk MS into sending me one... :)

Why do I feel this about a game that seems so far to be recieving dicey reviews?

Simply, each time I play it, I have enormous fun. And that fun changes each time I do it as it can be played in many different ways. As that is what Crackdown is all about.

We've made something that is unashamed of being a videogame...

We have no pretensions of being a movie, there is a story, its acted with some panache not least by Terry, but it exists to give you guidance to go beat the bad guys.

Which you can do either with your fists, a rather large selection of silly over the top weapons, a vehicle that can smash other traffic out of the way, drive up walls the literally change into a tank, or via any other means you can conjure up in our wholly physical world.

And if you nudge that difficulty up past normal, get used to improvising and using that world to your advantage as you really are going to need to. Even in Co-Op. I know, I've tried!

This is the rub, as a side effect of giving players freedom once you are let into the city, one reviewers playthrough is going to be utterly different to others. I'm already seeing a disparity based on how they chose to play the game - and on which difficulty.

I've even seen some go 'Wait a minute, you can save the Agent and the World seperately' which is a very intentional choice. We want player to experiment, to try different methods, different weapons, different routes. We want you to reserve a slot for that game you play with your best friend. We want you to try a combat focussed Agent, an Agility based one, we want you to try and beat the game with your own rules, never touch the ground Agent, see if you can clock it only raining down aircon units from rooftops. Or kill one baddie, and use him to bludgeon the rest to death with. Did you know you can kill enemies by throwing their dead friends at them?

We actively want you to go and have fun. Then show us! Stream it, YouTube it, make some GIF's, there will be moments we go 'Wow, fair play, we didn't predict that!' and genuinely laugh at situations we've given you the freedom to create.

This is why we are so happy this game will be on GamePass. Like the other two Crackdown games before it, its something players may not 'get' or appreciate unless they try it themselves. I bought the original to get that Halo 3 beta (I'm that old) but I fell in love with it as here was a game where you went 'What if I...' and it allowed you to try it, and then frequently hit you with a pithy one liner from the VOA as the results made you laugh out loud.

Its that kind of game. I'm already seeing players initial posts where their experience is fun, personal and rewarding. Don't take my word for it, go look at the games OT. My barometer is always how players react to a game. I'm looking forward to what people who play the game think.

I suspect as the days pass, people will start to dig into the game and see if its for them or not. I feel a lot of people will find it is. Crackdown has always been cult, I'd hoped we could expand it and I feel GamePass is the place this can happen.

And if not, believe me we certainly tried, we wanted to make the best sequel to Crackdown we possibly could and in my eyes at least, we did what we set out to do. Feel free to hate it, your opinion is as valid as mine, but hate it once you've tried it, that's all I ask.

Right, I better go back to being on holiday, though it feels more like rum and coke time vs sangria...!

True story, I checked out the balcony on my hotel room with my wife. she loved the clear sea view right out to the med. Me? I saw the building opposite, judged a level one Agent could clearly climb it and lamented the lack of some Agility orbs on the roof. This game sticks with you :)

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Opinions are subjective.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony.

Halo 5 >>> Killzone Shadow Fall
Gears 4 >>> The Order 1866
Sunset Overdrive >>> Infamous Second Son
Forza Motorsport 5/6/7 >>> Gran Turismo Sport
Forza Horizon 2/3/4 >>> Driveclub
Killer Instinct >>> Street Fighter 5
Super Lucky's Tale >>> Knack
Ori and The Blind Forest >>> ???
Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Don't matter if someone like a Metacritic 50 or 90+ game.
Do you guys care too much about Scores and if other ppl love something you don't love.
This is...something else.

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think forza horizon 4, sunset overdrive, and gears of war 4 would beg to differ.
over the course of three years. Iam excited about halo infinite but 343 has to be careful here. Another mediocre entry would be terrible for halo franchise outlook.
I think gears 5 will be a f9 game but gears4 being reboot of sorts wasnt that impactful. The gameplay is still the best in TPS so it can get away with subpar storytelling. But its fair to say the top 2 franchises of Xbox game studios have seen their peak and on their way down

Last edited:

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
All this talk about Xbox exclusives is getting pretty tiring. As an Xbox only gamer (who appreciates the other consoles and enjoys playing them at his friends' places, but doesn't want to spend more money on gaming as other things in life are more important to me at this point), Xbox has been treating me really well. I've been enjoying Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 2, Gears 4, Titanfall 1, and, above all, Halo 5 a lot. Halo 5 in particular has the best gameplay of the entire series, and an incredible arena MP, while Firefight is an ideal pop in, lean back and play for 20 or 40 minutes mode. Since I consider the Halo series among the best the FPS genre has to offer, Halo 5 is a towering achievement to me. (The campaign could've been better, yes.)
Gears, on the other hand, has been one of the best TPS franchises to me, and Gears 4 was a fantastic evolution while staying true to the original. That's great and all I wanted - but I'm also excited for them to mix things up in Gears 5.
I still haven't even had time to play Forza Horizon 3 or 4, but I'm looking forward to doing that one day.
I've caught up on amazing older games (such as Spec Ops: The Line) thanks to Backwards Compatibility. Such a great, convenient feature.
And with gamepass, I won't be running out of more amazing games - both third and first party - to play anytime soon - for a really low price.

So, for me, Xbox has been the best console to own. No regrets.

I still intend to play God of War, Bloodborne and Horizon: Zero Dawn one day. Lucky for me, they are singleplayer games so I can just get them for super cheap in a couple of years without missing out on anything.

If you liked the original Crackdown, then you should like this one just as much if not more so. It's, for better or worse, basically a much prettier Crackdown 1 with an air dash and doublejump. I'm personally having an absolute blast with it, but it's definitely not a revolution.
Crackdown 1 with even better mobility in an all-new playground. Sounds great to me!

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Gears 4 is still better than Uncharted 4 though.

Still, some selective memory with that list war. Truth is Microsoft just has not invested at the same level as Sony this generation.

Also, Crackdown 3 is good. Just want to reiterate.

This generation? Try since the beginning of the division. When it was in it's infancy they were signing deals from PC developers, but not owning them. They never once thought about long term deals. Bioware was the only one I can think of where the partnership as carried on past OG xbox. But alot of the developers who made games for them during the OG days basically moved on after a while. No more Crimson Skies sequels, no blood wake sequels.

They didn't invest with internal studios and build a good foundation. AFTER they would get a big hit they would milk the shit out of that hit with sequels and not try to foster anything new. It was a kind of throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks kind of thing. Then they would take those studios they did build who had started to build up a fanbase and turn them on kinect.(or should I say in rare's instance let them work on what they wanted"). When in fact they could have done so much more with them. I honestly don't know the whole story with some of the developers like RARE, but from the outside looking in where they took established studios and instead of cutting out what didn;t work like in Lion Heads case it was leadership from Peter.m, they put them on kinect then a GAAS moba.

Which they had no experience in making either. Then got shutdown, because fable legends was such a money pit.

It's not just this gen that was just the issue, this gen was the boiling point for mismanagement that was going on all the way from the beginning of their entrance into console gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
But that multiplayer..... Ooof!
Dont' care. I can see the appeal of Halo's MP since I've played Halo 3's, Reach's and 4's MP quite a bit.
Tried Gears 1+2 MP...boring. I went into Gears' 1 MP hoping t would be a more tactical but slower affair but it turned out to be just a slower version of mostly run and gun gameplay with skilled shotgun players. I don't play MP that much these days, but I don't see what is so appealing about Gears MP when we've had much better games before that like Quake and Unreal and a lot of games in the present that are much more interesting gameplay-wise. To each their own, I guess. On a technical level I don't even think that UC4's MP is much worse than Gears 4 MP - the problem with UC4's MP is all the unnecessary stuff like abilities which drags it down. So both are pretty forgettable.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Lara, Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, Car, Fable Legends character (lol)
line-up.jpg
Damn this is sad. When yout 'greatest lineup in history consists of the same Halo+Gears+Forza, a third party character and a character from a cancelled game.

Car is a cool character tho

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on holiday after being rather busy for a little over four years, I figure as the results of that labour are about to hit tomorrow, I'd pop onto the internet see if any reviews had hit...

First things first, in case you are wondering, I'm one of the people who made the Campaign side of the game at Sumo. There were quite a lot of us involved in that side of the game, not all at Sumo I better add, and we've been working on this game for quite a long time.

Now, clearly the reviews are a little mixed... Let me start by saying in no way do I disagree with anyones right to have an opinion. I'm disappointed in some of them and certainly I see points that are valid having being on the crazy journey it's been to get the game out...

...But... I also have to disagree as well. You can righly accuse me of bias, hey, i'm sure I look at the results positively, but let me tell you something first before you rush to judge me.

Over the years I've worked on well over 40 games and most, once we archive the code and launch it into the big bad world, I leave behind and rarely pick up to play again.

A select few, and the list is short, OutRun2/2006, Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed and now Crackdown 3, I can't wait to get a copy of to play again. In this case I even went out and bought an Xbox One X to play it, as I couldn't talk MS into sending me one... :)

Why do I feel this about a game that seems so far to be recieving dicey reviews?

Simply, each time I play it, I have enormous fun. And that fun changes each time I do it as it can be played in many different ways. As that is what Crackdown is all about.

We have no pretensions of being a movie, there is a story, its acted with some panache not least by Terry, but it exists to give you guidance to go beat the bad guys.

Which you can do either with your fists, a rather large selection of silly over the top weapons, a vehicle that can smash other traffic out of the way, drive up walls the literally change into a tank, or via any other means you can conjure up in our wholly physical world.

And if you nudge that difficulty up past normal, get used to improvising and using that world to your advantage as you really are going to need to. Even in Co-Op. I know, I've tried!

This is the rub, as a side effect of giving players freedom once you are let into the city, one reviewers playthrough is going to be utterly different to others. I'm already seeing a disparity based on how they chose to play the game - and on which difficulty.

I've even seen some go 'Wait a minute, you can save the Agent and the World seperately' which is a very intentional choice. We want player to experiment, to try different methods, different weapons, different routes. We want you to reserve a slot for that game you play with your best friend. We want you to try a combat focussed Agent, an Agility based one, we want you to try and beat the game with your own rules, never touch the ground Agent, see if you can clock it only raining down aircon units from rooftops. Or kill one baddie, and use him to bludgeon the rest to death with. Did you know you can kill enemies by throwing their dead friends at them?

We actively want you to go and have fun. Then show us! Stream it, YouTube it, make some GIF's, there will be moments we go 'Wow, fair play, we didn't predict that!' and genuinely laugh at situations we've given you the freedom to create.

This is why we are so happy this game will be on GamePass. Like the other two Crackdown games before it, its something players may not 'get' or appreciate unless they try it themselves. I bought the original to get that Halo 3 beta (I'm that old) but I fell in love with it as here was a game where you went 'What if I...' and it allowed you to try it, and then frequently hit you with a pithy one liner from the VOA as the results made you laugh out loud.

Its that kind of game. I'm already seeing players initial posts where their experience is fun, personal and rewarding. Don't take my word for it, go look at the games OT. My barometer is always how players react to a game. I'm looking forward to what people who play the game think.

I suspect as the days pass, people will start to dig into the game and see if its for them or not. I feel a lot of people will find it is. Crackdown has always been cult, I'd hoped we could expand it and I feel GamePass is the place this can happen.

And if not, believe me we certainly tried, we wanted to make the best sequel to Crackdown we possibly could and in my eyes at least, we did what we set out to do. Feel free to hate it, your opinion is as valid as mine, but hate it once you've tried it, that's all I ask.

Right, I better go back to being on holiday, though it feels more like rum and coke time vs sangria...!

True story, I checked out the balcony on my hotel room with my wife. she loved the clear sea view right out to the med. Me? I saw the building opposite, judged a level one Agent could clearly climb it and lamented the lack of some Agility orbs on the roof. This game sticks with you :)
It's not like there's a giant conspiracy against the game or that the reviewers only played it once. Clearly there's a disconnect with what you feel about the game and what reviewers (and players) feel about it

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At this point there should be an official System Wars thread or even subsection of the forum. Mods can just shuffle everyone interested in list wars and all that jazz into one location.
I wouldn't mind, make it a free for all. No bans for anything, go wild and let the anger and frustration flow. Have a troll ranking next to your avatar and what console you represent. The higher the rank the more prestigious your trolling capabilities are. Have special events like Troll of the Year, most likely to meltdow, etc.

It help clean up the area.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind, make it a free for all. No bans for anything, go wild and let the anger and frustration flow. Have a troll ranking next to your avatar and what console you represent. The higher the rank the more prestigious your trolling capabilities are. Have special events like Troll of the Year, most likely to meltdow, etc.

It help clean up the area.

Let it exist for a few weeks to build some steam, and then just ban everyone in it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Sorry the reviews haven't met your expectations. That's gotta be a huge disappointment after the hours you've put into development.

Also ... you're a developer asking people to promote your game in the review thread. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017

Appreciate the post. I'm sure you've made Crackdown fans very happy and those games you've been involved in are some of my absolute faves.

It seems critics feel you've made a 'game out of its time', which if it makes you feel any better is a critique levelled by many here at RDR2, so theres some comfort in that I guess?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

I don't think the servers could handle a thread like that honestly. Look at what happens to reset when we get E3. WHole thing crashes,LOL.

Imagine a thread where it;s all out war, GIF'S everywhere, pie charts, jesus it would be a mess. We need people to keep people like myself in line, so I don't make dumb insensitive posts and treat people with respect. I made one as a joke earlier and it was a mistake I truly regret now looking back. I am better than that and should strive to be even though I myself not going to lie can be a little one sided or a fanboy.

Not going to deny it. But I think what they have here works to be honest.

If you want all out war, I guess there's gamefaqs.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus!
Loved CD1, was hoping this would have been a mega hit for the XB.
How does MS excite their base for next gen now?
Sony is going out with Days Gone, TLoU2 and Dreams.
MS is gonna have to do better, cant end this gen like this.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions are subjective.
Anyone can say Halo 5 sucks, or Uncharted 4 sucks.
80+% of ppl here in this thread don't even have Xbox or care about Crackdown 3.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony.

Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Do you guys care too much about Scores and if other ppl love something you don't love.

DfHQLvtWsAACkvu.jpg

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Opinions are subjective.
Anyone can say Halo 5 sucks, or Uncharted 4 sucks.
80+% of ppl here in this thread don't even have Xbox or care about Crackdown 3.

Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Holy shit.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus!
Loved CD1, was hoping this would have been a mega hit for the XB.
How does MS excite their base for next gen now?
Sony is going out with Days Gone, TLoU2 and Dreams.
MS is gonna have to do better, cant end this gen like this.

Ori 2 and gears 5 will be in the 80s range at worst. Honestly I expect Ori to crack 90.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
This generation? Try since the beginning of the division. When it was in it's infancy they were signing deals from PC developers, but not owning them. They never once thought about long term deals. Bioware was the only one I can think of where the partnership as carried on past OG xbox. But alot of the developers who made games for them during the OG days basically moved on after a while. No more Crimson Skies sequels, no blood wake sequels.

They didn't invest with internal studios and build a good foundation. AFTER they would get a big hit they would milk the shit out of that hit with sequels and not try to foster anything new. It was a kind of throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks kind of thing. Then they would take those studios they did build who had started to build up a fanbase and turn them on kinect.(or should I say in rare's instance let them work on what they wanted"). When in fact they could have done so much more with them. I honestly don't know the whole story with some of the developers like RARE, but from the outside looking in where they took established studios and instead of cutting out what didn;t work like in Lion Heads case it was leadership from Peter.m, they put them on kinect then a GAAS moba.

Which they had no experience in making either. Then got shutdown, because fable legends was such a money pit.

It's not just this gen that was just the issue, this gen was the boiling point for mismanagement that was going on all the way from the beginning of their entrance into console gaming.
There were certainly some missed opportunities, especially letting BioWare and Bizarre get swooped up by EA. But look at the first half of the 360's life - Microsoft was running circles around Sony. You don't get that lineup without substantial investment.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Hey, just wanted to say I'm loving the game. It's exactly what I was looking for in a Crackdown sequel.

You guys delivered in my eyes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Happy holidays. Good luck for the next.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the same time and I'm not going to get it but your opinion is fine. I refuse to lump ori, cuphead, forza, forza horizon, killer instinct. In with this game.

Hell even halo 5 and gears 4 are decent games. They aren't trailblazing dice award winning showstopper but they are solid.

They are solid but even in their most dire console generations Nintendo and Sony were still able to make good stuff, some of Sony's most prestigious things came from the maligned PS3 era.

A few great indies and Forza just isn't good enough for MS when they have so much experience.

Next gen is Microsoft's real test though: Can they make a come back or is it too late?

I hope so, if for nothing more than to see Halo return to it's glory and pull me back to in.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Let me just say thank you. Crackdown was one of my fav titles growing up and I can't quite express my disappointment with Crackdown 2. I think you lot at Sumo have finally made a true sequel to Crackdown. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel or constantly push the envelope. You guys made Crackdown in 2019 and I think that's what the fans wanted. I don't think anyone that honestly loved Crackdown 1 will have anything disparaging to say about Crackdown 3 aside from we can't wait for Crackdown 4. Ignore the dissent, you've made a title tons of people are going to love and pump hours into, and of that you should be proud.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Dont' care. I can see the appeal of Halo's MP since I've played Halo 3's, Reach's and 4's MP quite a bit.
Tried Gears 1+2 MP...boring. I went into Gears' 1 MP hoping t would be a more tactical but slower affair but it turned out to be just a slower version of mostly run and gun gameplay with skilled shotgun players. I don't play MP that much these days, but I don't see what is so appealing about Gears MP when we've had much better games before that like Quake and Unreal and a lot of games in the present that are much more interesting gameplay-wise. To each their own, I guess. On a technical level I don't even think that UC4's MP is much worse than Gears 4 MP - the problem with UC4's MP is all the unnecessary stuff like abilities which drags it down. So both are pretty forgettable.

Nobodys buying Uncharted for the MP dude. Anyway, time to move on.....

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty sure this would be a bad game, but not scores this low. This was the most likey outcome regardless. Massive waste of time and other resources.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
No way, I was done with this series after the second one. It's boring as fuck. Uncharted at least has the writing and adventure feel going for it and Uncharted 4 fixed the issues with cover shooting gameplay by making traversal a core mechanic.
Personally I don't think any 3rd person shooter matches Gears of War. It still has the most satisfying shooting of any game for me. And the multiplayer is close to perfection.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that's true of Xbox One's library as a whole, but the first party stuff would be tough to argue against (discounting people's personal preferences of course). Even Dreamcast and Saturn had some real killer stuff and those consoles were pretty huge bombs commercially.

For sure, i'd rank Shenmue 1 + 2 alone over Xbox One's library alone personally, but then you add Resident Evil Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (it was great at the time) Skies of Arcadia, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Dreamcast had so many diamonds.

OP
OP
Neat

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Genuine thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Am still looking forward to giving the game a spin.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
There were certainly some missed opportunities, especially letting BioWare and Bizarre get swooped up by EA. But look at the first half of the 360's life - Microsoft was running circles around Sony. You don't get that lineup without substantial investment.

They didn't invest in games outside of sequels? Their first couple years they were trying I agree, Perfect dark sequel, gears of war, and continued halo, and forza. But honestly had what seemed like a checklist, didn't have EPIC make anything else big for them outside of gears.(BESIDES THAT downloadable title.)

Like I don't understand, what happened. It's like after 2008 they became a sequel factory because of sales from those franchises.

And then as sales started to decline on some of their titles like Project Gotham they ended that studio/partnership.

I just hope to god they really are building a foundation that won't be a sequel factory after they get a hit.