• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I will say that they're good games. You're comparing it to one of the top platformers, period.

It's a good series that had some cool ideas and brought some new stuff to the genre.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_mmgpv8WmIO1s8ouhxo1_400.gif
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

;__;

Oct 28, 2017
The one thing about Crash that I never understood, or enjoyed at all, was when they would have platforming elements, say being chased by something, and you were running toward the screen and couldn't see what was coming. Things like a hole in the ground would pop up and you had very little time to react. I thought that was poor for sure.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Level designs are bad. Controls are managable. 2 is decent. I'd rather play fucking Croc, honestly.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing about Crash that I never understood, or enjoyed at all, was when they would have platforming elements, say being chased by something, and you were running toward the screen and couldn't see what was coming. Things like a hole in the ground would pop up and you had very little time to react. I thought that was poor for sure.
You have plenty of time to react

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lol I remember when the remastered came out, people where losing their shit saying simplistic it was. the thing is the game didn't change, it is still the same. I dont know what people expect, it is simple and poorly done given the likes of Mario games.

Oct 27, 2017
Platforming aside, I've never been able to stomach the ooga boogas and tryhard cool attitude, even as a teenager when the series originally came out. I found Crash 3 to be the worst offender, and bounced off its style pretty hard. I remember liking the first well enough though.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It should also be clear that most people are going to (or have) come to the defense of Crash 2 and 3, because those are very much improved over the original.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I played it for the first time at the beginning of this year and liked it a lot. Oddly enough the Retro DKC games are exactly what I'd compare it to in terms of fairness; the hitboxes are all pretty understandable for the most part (Crash 2 on the other hand has a couple of wonky hitboxes and more importantly it's not always really clear what enemies die to the slide move and which ones to the spin move, but that's another topic I suppose). It's definitely more on the difficult side but it's never impossible or anything.

It does feel sort of like a 2D game forced into 3D, but it's easy to stay on one plane when you don't need to move in 3D and when you do it's usually pretty simple.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Comparatively speaking it is. It simply does not control as well and has collision issues not present in the original that completely fucks up certain levels. High Road was once a fantastic level. Now it's an exercise in frustration.
the bridge levels were always frustrating and adding an archaic save system on top of them is not going to magically endear the game to the op.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with Crash, but I didn't feel anything for the first game aside from seething rage.
I have heard that the other two games are easier, though.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only levels that I would call "bad platforming" are the broken bridge levels which are insufferable and were a terrible idea, otherwise it's fine.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh come on, they're certainly not bad platforming games. They haven't aged too well, if you ask me, but they still have some fun levels and the later 2 games especially can still be enjoyed today. Also, to some of the people in this thread, lol at Super Mario 64 being a bad game. You don't have a bad game become one of the most influential games of all time.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I was shocked that they didn't tune up the jank in the new collection. Trying to gage jumps onto tiny platforms is terrible.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I played them and sucked as a kid. I replayed the Trilogy and I think Crash 1 is the best of the 3 with 3 being extremely weak due to gimmick levels. I don't really understand how it's a bad platformer, especially not crash 1, where everything is a pattern and can easily be sped through as long as you can predict or adjust to it on the fly. It's literally a pure platformer.

I love platformers in general and I'd say DKC:TF is better than any crash game, but I still wouldn't say any crash game is *bad*.

And as much as the "hitbox" meme is a thing I still honestly don't see it. Every jump/attack on an enemy I've done has seemed perfectly fine and I've speed ran 1 and 2 and have been lazy about getting to 3, but I seriously don't get it.

15:25

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I really don´t get it. I´ve never had a problem with depth perception in crash games and the bridge levels are my favorite. I really, honestly don´get the depth complaints.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the OP it's like the game was designed around psudo 3D like Space Harrier and switched to 3d later. I was never a fan.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first Crash game hasn't aged well, but there really aren't many platformers that demand such a specific level of precision; I think when people talk fondly about Crash 1 its for the unapologetic difficulty, not for the fun.

Crash 2 is the metric by which the series should be judged, and I think its legit one of the finest platformers of all time (if a bit too easy at times). It takes the formula of the first game but makes it fluid and enjoyable to play. Granted slide jumping isnt for everyone.

Crash 3 isn't even worth talking about unless you are talking time trials, but thats a compeltely different thread.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nah it's great. I played it in the remake trilogy last summer and it held up just fine.

Road to No Where is bad enough once
Road to Nowhere is awesome. One of my favourite precision-platforming challenges ever. It's simple but effective. The follow-up level is awful though (because bouncing on the turtles suuuucks).

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Crash 1 was a bit to unforgiving and the level design kind of sucked. Definitely improved in the later installments.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The remaster? Sure, it was a atrocious work and a disrespect for the legacy of the original three.
The three on PS1 though? The first one is good albeit a little unbalanced on difficulty but still dated better than Mario 64 for example More cohesive on visuals, OST on par, better challenge. Crash 2 is just amazing and Warped is probably the best platformer ever.

Nothing's perfect, but jesus christ.

I bought the remakes because of all the positive reactions, I tried to like it but it's possibly the shittiest platformer I have ever played. Horrible physics, horrible hitboxes, horrible art style.

You must be new to the genre then, because there's a staggering amount of shitty platformers out there and Crash ain't the worst of them by a long shot.

Platforming aside, I've never been able to stomach the ooga boogas and tryhard cool attitude, even as a teenager when the series originally came out. I found Crash 3 to be the worst offender, and bounced off its style pretty hard. I remember liking the first well enough though.

There's some bizarre shit in this thread. You don't like the "ooga boogas"? Like, the sound effect?

And "tryhard cool"? Is this another manifestation of that delusion where people imagine that the games had the same vibe as their over-the-top 90s advertisements?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't age as well as some other classics, but it's a fine platformer imho. It does have some bullshit old design decisions, some bad hit detections and some questionable controls especially when using vehicles or equipments. Crash 2 and 3, however, still have some really fine platformer levels despite all, and I think the Trilogy is something any platformer fan needs on their game system of choice.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even tho i've played the game (and its sequels) on ps1 and psp a lot of times, and will soon again on switch, i agree that the platforming isn't anything special. it feels good enough in 2D and bonus stages but somehow translating that same weight and controls directly to 3D doesn't feel that good. despite that i still love the games.

You're a bad platformer
ugh, i wanted to say that

Last edited:

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Crash never was very good as a platformer. I liked it because of the atmosphere. Jungle and the music, sounds etc. It's a mediocre platformer but other things make it a little better to an ok game. I can see it can feel bad if you play a masterpiece like Tropical Freeze and then go straight to Crash.

Last edited:

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Yes! Got the remake on Switch and had to put it down quite quickly. Hit boxes seem messed up and jumping feelings like Crash is being weighed down by the burden of his sins...and metal weights.

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
No, but there are a lot of "strange" things on the remasters (especially the jump on the first game).

The originals are still better imo.

Last edited:

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
The first one? Maybe. Too often looks like it's too hard not because you are not good enough, but it's just hard.
2 & 3? Nah, these are really great games.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see everybody's getting their hot takes in today so i might just as well.

Mega Man 3 is a bad game.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 1 outclassed 2 & 3 when I 100% cleared the remakes. Easily a 9/10 for me due to incredibly tight level design and amazing pacing throughout the adventure.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I actually loved it.
When playing it, I was afraid it was nostalgia would make me forget the flaws. But no, it was as good as I remember.
And probably the best platformer I played ever since Rayman legends.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's worth noting that the remake gave Crash pill-shaped hot boxes on his feet.

So if you noticed a moment where you landed on a platform towards it's edge, only to immediately slide off and die, that is why.

Regardless, Crash 2 is such a better game. One of the greatest quality jumps.

Orbulon

Nov 1, 2017
France
The bridge levels in the original Crash Bandicoot are among the most satisfying in platforming history.
The first game is platforming at its purest, I never understood the "imprecise & unfair" narrative surronding it.
Can those who say the level design is mediocre please explain ? I actually think it is incredibly tight.

Now the hitboxes in the remaster are admittedly screwed up, but at least it made Stormy Ascent easily available, which is a blessing.

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Agree

Controlls awfully, incredible medicore at best level design, the depth on the 3D levels are just that bad and hitboxes out of this world. It was decent when it was released but has not aged pretty.

I had fond memories of the games but it should have been memories, wish I didnt buy the remake trilogy.