• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.king.crash

Only available in certain regions since it's in soft launch, but there's always an apk if you know where to look.

Played up to the first boss and it's a pretty fun runner that translates the Crash gameplay and spirit to the runner genre pretty well. It looks great (Crash's animations are fantastic) and the Crash 1 theme is remixed a bit alongside some decent new music. There are some infinite levels where you can collect materials but it's not a randomly generated endless runner, you go through different mini levels to get gems and there are lots of secret areas to let you go off the beaten path. There's even a bit of fanservice, the first boss is Scorporilla who hasn't shown up since Mind over Mutant.

Unfortunately, the usual mobile game tricks show up in the form of wait timers to craft weapons you need to fight the bosses. There isn't any stamina or lives system as far as I can tell, but I get the sense that one will eventually be added since the game always asks if you want to restart with all your collected items after dying, even though there's no reason you wouldn't want to. Screams "here's where you'd use a consumable to continue without penalty". Seems like it has the framework to be a great little game if they don't get too greedy.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a fine game. I'm sure they'll get greedy though - look at what happened with CTR.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
That gameplay actually looked great, and the art style is real charming.

And then it got to the timers and mobile game shenanigans.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
There's even a bit of fanservice, the first boss is Scorporilla who hasn't shown up since Mind over Mutant.

? But Mind over Mutant was the last console crash game that even released exluding the remake

And tbh hearing there's anything of those terrible Mutant games in it if anything makes me less wanting to Play this game lol

Ima download it anyways tho

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
And tbh hearing there's anything of those terrible Mutant games in it if anything makes me less wanting to Play this game lol
What is it about platformer games that make people act like weird children.
Like, homie if the OP didnt call it out would you have even noticed the scorpion gorilla boss came from a previous crash game that you happened to not like

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
? But Mind over Mutant was the last console crash game that even released exluding the remake

Ima download it anyways tho

There's still been a 12 year gap since that character's shown up, and I doubt anyone ever expected to see him again. It's also interesting because it suggests that they're not opposed to drawing from the Titans games and reworking the characters a bit to make them fit with the classic Crash art style.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They added microtransactions a few weeks after launch (meaning they dodged criticism in reviews and the ESRB warning on the box). Item prices increased after they added the ability to buy in-game currency with real money.

They never increased the price of any items. Characters were still 1500, Costumes were 2500, Karts were 4000, Paints 500 to 1500, Tires 1000 to 2500, Decals 500 to 1500 and stickers 250 to 1000. They've been consistant like that since launch. And since then they added more ways to get coins easier by increasing coin earn rate in general for all tracks, adding new modes that pay out additional coins, challenges to get coins and the Golden Wumpa that gives a flat 200 each time you grab it and spawns every 7th race or so.

The adding of Microtransactions in general was still a bad move though. Have no arguments against that and it's the one sore spot I have with the game.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
They added microtransactions a few weeks after launch (meaning they dodged criticism in reviews and the ESRB warning on the box). Item prices increased after they added the ability to buy in-game currency with real money.
Why you lying?. Coins have been easier to earn with every update. Just casually playing and completing every GP netted me enough to buy everything once a new update dropped.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
lmao sorry i think its weird you apparently have a 13 year old grudge against a childrens platformer?

I'm not sure why me disliking the inclusion of the mutants is upsetting you so, please go away, you scare me

There's still been a 12 year gap since that character's shown up, and I doubt anyone ever expected to see him again. It's also interesting because it suggests that they're not opposed to drawing from the Titans games and reworking the characters a bit to make them fit with the classic Crash art style.

Certainly, but there is much more interesting and popular things they could draw from than that, like Twinsanity

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does that say King in the URL? I completely forgot that Activision bought them. We're never going to get a brand new, AAA Crash game, are we?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does that say King in the URL? I completely forgot that Activision bought them. We're never going to get a brand new, AAA Crash game, are we?
Uh, yeah we are. Both N. Sane Trilogy and CTR have been very successful. Not to mention all the smoke around a new game coming.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
They never increased the price of any items. Characters were still 1500, Costumes were 2500, Karts were 4000, Paints 500 to 1500, Tires 1000 to 2500, Decals 500 to 1500 and stickers 250 to 1000. They've been consistant like that since launch. And since then they added more ways to get coins easier by increasing coin earn rate in general for all tracks, adding new modes that pay out additional coins, challenges to get coins and the Golden Wumpa that gives a flat 200 each time you grab it and spawns every 7th race or so.

The adding of Microtransactions in general was still a bad move though. Have no arguments against that and it's the one sore spot I have with the game.
I remember seeing bundles for 9900 coins immediately after the microtransactions were added, which was a fair bit more expensive than previously, but perhaps I'm missing some of the details. Thanks for clarifying though - this is the kind of reply I appreciate.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing bundles for 9900 coins immediately after the microtransactions were added, which was a fair bit more expensive than previously, but perhaps I'm missing some of the details. Thanks for clarifying though - this is the kind of reply I appreciate.

There was one bundle of that which was a mix of Kart and 2 Character Skins I believe (It was a Back to the Future like vehicle and a mad scientist skin for Crash and Ripper Roo), which was the first time that had happened in the store. I think the numbers did add up for the pricing on it, but it wasn't that popular so they never did a bundle like that again which had 2 legendary skins and a kart)

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed they improved his design from the leak. Looks more like classic Crash now.

unknown.png

Looks like a clone game.

Compare the production values with that of the Rayman and Mario mobile games.

I prefer this game's visuals to those honestly. Rayman and Mario look great but they also look almost identical to their console counterparts thanks to heavy asset reuse.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

While some of this is true and adding microtransactions after launch is an awful move, they never changed prices of items in Pit Stop. There were some reductions in coins you receive from races though, but in hindsight it wasn't anything that impacted players experience if played a base game without paying additional money. I've never bought any coins via mt and unlocked anything I wanted during each of Grand Prix events without endless grinding. The game got constant updates and actually offered significant amount of content drops, so I think most of things Beenox did with CTR post-launch was really good and ultimately ended with richer and better game in the process.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know something?
Yes, there's been multiple hints, leaks (Toys for Bob's concept art), and speculation that there will be a new game coming this year. This includes info by The Gaming Revolution mentioning the game (including his correction and assertion that it is a new game) and some PvP game as well.

I've compiled an old list from last year about the most notable ones
So, here's what we've got so far leading up to the rumoured new game, listed in bullet points and copied from my blog post (excluding the ViewerAnon tweets, since they're already posted in this thread)
  • Judging from career job listings for an "unannounced project", that the company has been working on this game at least for some time (I assume). The studio hasn't released a standalone video game that is not tied to another studio, which happens to be "Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy". Their last major project involving the production collaboration with another studio was with Bungie's Destiny 2 expansion "Season of Opulence" which was wrapped up after the split on February 13, 2019.
  • In a recent livestream, Andrew Carl said that the Alchemy Engine is still being used at the studio for prototypes and game jams, despite what speculation led up in response to the 2016 Instagram picture "Farewell Alchemy" by Benny Raymond. There's a chance that next game will run on Unreal Engine.
  • There's a good chance that like last year and PSX 2016's reveal, we could get the new game announced there on December 12, and if you want to vote on the 2019 nominees, you can show your support for Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled as the Best Sports/Racing games against FIFA 20, DiRT Rally 2.0, eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 and F1 2019.
  • The "5-year plan" mention in the GB Eye blurb spread in early 2018 aligns well with the timing of the new game, as well as the continued support and content for CTR: Nitro-Fueled
  • Activision has recently talked about the opportunity of going beyond remakes for Crash and Spyro with "new content", leading to the belief that they are indeed indicating a new game and this is true, because Activision usually hints at new game developments or interest in new projects in this fashion. This could also indicate the recent content push done in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled with the addition of Grand Prix seasonal updates. Additionally, they also hinted at Spyro's comeback by releasing new merchandise to places like Hot Topic and First 4 Figures.
  • Toys for Bob's case is fascinating here, as there has been a leak of concept art pieces featuring Cortex, Dingodile, N. Tropy, N. Gin, and monster N. Brio and other pieces showcasing other characters and one environment concept, it seems. Nicholas Kole has been cheeky about it and nor Activision or Toys for Bob have commented or made a statement about it.
  • It is also possible that a recent image they posted about "Creative Ops" pitch at DigiPen Institute might reveal a wider test level that's blurred with what might be Crash in the orange bits, alongside platforms and other objects. The text reveals that this is an "innovation" pitch aimed to demonstrate the main idea of the prototype shown, with it being small, focused, quick and dirty. It is also possible that this is something entirely different, we'll see what could end up here.
  • The most interesting bit comes from the new PlayStation "It's Time to Play" commercial by Sony, where we can see the Mask following the trio while they're racing in their karts. And there's been a new render on bus adverts (Double-decker) featuring a modified model with more shaped mouth and eyes. Nicholas yet again does the thing where he teases us about it.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Yes, there's been multiple hints, leaks (Toys for Bob's concept art), and speculation that there will be a new game coming this year. This includes info by The Gaming Revolution mentioning the game (including his correction and assertion that it is a new game) and some PvP game as well.

I've compiled an old list from last year about the most notable ones

I must've missed that thread, thanks for posting.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is it not allowed to talk about apks here? Id get it if it was about apps with a price tag, but this is free right?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
One day, I must stop having big expectations on mobile games.
I guess it should good enough for the usual mobile audience though.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I hate? Vertical videos with the same video zoomed in to fill out the side bars. So stupid and distracting.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So it's the animal riding levels from the original, just not on an animal.

I mean, yeah, this would've made more sense years earlier, but hey, makes sense & I might as well give it a try as long as it's not a grind & doesn't shove microtransactions down my throat. CTR was surprisingly tolerable with it to the point I keep forgetting you can buy coins for the unlockables. Buuuut this is mobile so I'm sort of expecting it.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The wait for the vials and stuff is pretty gross. I wouldn't mind so much if I could grind for the materials in a true infinite run, but the level repeats after a while. I dont know, it's a but dull this way.