• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Well...I'm not positive but I don't think the Switch cartrdiges are really much faster than the hard drives used in PS4 so we'll have to see.
RIP the dream then ;_;
Anyway, really looking forward to your analysis on this version of the game if you guys have some free time to do it.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
image.png

Imagine getting upset over a game you worked on 20 years ago that more people will get to experience and enjoy now that it'll be on other platforms.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
This looks fantastic but now I'm questioning why this wasn't 60fps on PS4 in the first place. At least the PC version should allow for 60fps without the long loading times that plague the original version.
You think it'll allow for framerates past 60fps too? You never know with some of these console ports.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Saying you felt like a piece of you died definitely seems to imply being upset.
I don't know, how would you feel if Super Mario showed up on Xbox and PlayStataion and Miyamoto made a similar comment?

If something you worked on that was key to the success of a specific platform suddenly appeared on the competition, I could understand the sentiment.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, how would you feel if Super Mario showed up on Xbox and PlayStataion and Miyamoto made a similar comment?

If something you worked on that was key to the success of a specific platform suddenly appeared on the competition, I could understand the sentiment.
Come on now.... Mario Is Nintendo. Crash isn't on the same level and hasn't been relevant for years before those latest release. Crash also already been multiplattform.

This is like still being mad about Sonic being on Nintendo systems when he has been multiplattform for years already.

It would be something different if Crash was suddenly Nintendo exclusive or similar... Sony still got the preferred treatment with this release because if the successful history. Win/Win.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh goodness me that icon is atrocious. I'm iffy enough on Crash's design as is without having his winking face staring at me every time I turn the console on. At least the box art has more going on...

Oct 27, 2017
Great that this is headed to other platforms, have the PS4 version but didn't get through all three games so may pick it up again on Switch to play in bed or on the way to work (although with the frustration this game gives maybe not!). I will never understand the idea of a 'moneyhat' being the name for having good third party relations and securing a deal that is beneficial for both parties. Yeah, it might annoy people that not everyone is getting something at once but that's business, especially in a multi-billion dollar industry. It's not like timed exclusives and publishing or markering deals are new. This will all turn its head again if Sony's timed Final Fantasy VII remake deal is still in place especially or even this year with rumoured Spyro. It will be interesting for sure to see what sales are like in these additional platforms, would expect Switch version to sell well the audience there seems well-suited to this style of game.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
He can feel however he wants to feel about a game he worked on. Why does this bother you so much?
Where does that imply that I'm "bothered" by this?

I get how he's weirded out by the idea but wouldn't you be happy that more people will get to experience the game you worked on and thus, more exposure to the general public? And I don't know why he's even upset since Crash has been on other consoles since 2001. Hell, the GBA games essentially use the original ND assets.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Great that this is headed to other platforms, have the PS4 version but didn't get through all three games so may pick it up again on Switch to play in bed or on the way to work (although with the frustration this game gives maybe not!). I will never understand the idea of a 'moneyhat' being the name for having good third party relations and securing a deal that is beneficial for both parties. Yeah, it might annoy people that not everyone is getting something at once but that's business, especially in a multi-billion dollar industry. It's not like timed exclusives and publishing or markering deals are new. This will all turn its head again if Sony's timed Final Fantasy VII remake deal is still in place especially or even this year with rumoured Spyro. It will be interesting for sure to see what sales are like in these additional platforms, would expect Switch version to sell well the audience there seems well-suited to this style of game.
People need to realize that if certain first parties wouldn't push for these projects they likely wouldn't exist in the first place. No one at Activision would have throught that Crash Remakes could be this viable in 2017.

Those aren't really moneyhats. I don't get most of the reaction in this thread anyway.... Sony is the top dog and in a position where they can leverage their marker position for royalty treatment. It's not like Activision was forced to make the game PS4 timed-exclusive. They just knew it had a better shot succeeding with Sony supporting it and marketing it like a exclusive/first party release.

We should be happy that more people get to play this game instead of planning witch hunts for standard business practices.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I may buy the Switch version eventually, if and only if the framerate is stable 30 FPS (do note that I find it very disappointing it isn't 60 FPS on the previous consoles). If it isn't, I'll skip.

Oct 27, 2017
People need to realize that if certain first parties wouldn't push for these projects they likely wouldn't exist in the first place. No one at Activision would have throught that Crash Remakes could be this viable in 2017.

Those aren't really moneyhats. I don't get most of the reaction in this thread anyway.... Sony is the top dog and in a position where they can leverage their marker position for royalty treatment. It's not like Activision was forced to make the game PS4 timed-exclusive. They just knew it had a better shot succeeding with Sony supporting it and marketing it like a exclusive/first party release.

We should be happy that more people get to play this game instead of planning witch hunts for standard business practices.
Exactly. Marketing is often more expensive or equivalent to development costs. If a third party has the chance to offload the whole of that cost or the majority onto somebody else why wouldn't they? Especially as you say when testing the waters for a franchse presumed irrelevant. For Activision at the moment they made the deal having the support of Sony seemed the most beneficial to them and they weren't incorrect it sold very well. Now just over a year later they get to further reinforce that success on additional platforms and thus make an even higher profit margin, moneyhat or smart business decision.

Oct 26, 2017
Well it don't have to be your one and only console - Crash will look good enough for most people that was my point. If you own a PS4 and live for high end graphics the chance of you owning the PS4 version already are very high. For everyone else - it including Switch owners ... The Switch release might be attractive or even warrant a double dip.

Those late releases would be a harder sell on a Nintendo Plattform that was just another PS4.

That's very true man. For the Switch it definitely looks great. By the way I'm all about the Xbox. X that is. :)

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
image.png

Imagine getting upset over a game you worked on 20 years ago that more people will get to experience and enjoy now that it'll be on other platforms.

Its funny because I was on the PS4 forum on Gamefaq (don`t ask why) and all the Sony fans were happy that this went multiplatform and that more people can play.

Brand loyalty should be a thing in the past.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Its funny because I was on the PS4 forum on Gamefaq (don`t ask why) and all the Sony fans were happy that this went multiplatform and that more people can play.

I don't even know why he's upset when these aren't even the versions he worked on. The OG games are still on PSN and aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Shouldn't he be happy that more people get to experience this? I know I would.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I don't even know why he's upset when these aren't even the versions he worked on. The OG games are still on PSN and aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Shouldn't he be happy that more people get to experience this? I know I would.

Exactly, like someone said. Crash went multiplatform forever ago. Crash N. Sane Edition going multiplatform should of been expected.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if they can improve load times for these ports. That was one of my main complaints on PS4.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think part of it you folks might be missing is there was a very underdog grassroots attitude among some of the devs in those days. Nintendo was a juggernaut and a lot of devs we're inspired by taking them on and felt a lot of pride when they toppled them. The landscape was just so different. It's the same sort of thing Sega of America was doing in the early 90's.

So when a member of the original Crash staff says something like that, well I don't think it's necessarily about brand loyalty. I mean it is to an extent obviously, but I think it's more about the legacy of what the game means to him being muddled up by something like this. Those Crash games aren't just games to them, they're the relics that remain of them taking on Nintendo and winning and so it has a deeper more personal relation to PlayStations legacy to them than just fanboyism or hardware loyalty. It's part of the story of their life and some people really want that preserved.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Feeling that way because it's not on Playstation anymore is dumb af.

It's a lil mpre complex than that. This is a game that the dude worked on in an era of fierce competition with Nintendo in the platformer era. The game was designed to be a response to Nintendo's games and it's success helped propel the playstation and legitimacy in the console space.

When you design something it's not just the end product, its the circumstances that stick with you. The dude can feel however the fuck he wants to feel. It's more legitimate than guys who never coded a line in their life telling a dude how to feel.

So yeah, dude can feel however he wants. Yall need to get over it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lil mpre complex than that. This is a game that the dude worked on in an era of fierce competition with Nintendo in the platformer era. The game was designed to be a response to Nintendo's games and it's success helped propel the playstation and legitimacy in the console space.

When you design something it's not just the end product, its the circumstances that stick with you. The dude can feel however the fuck he wants to feel. It's more legitimate than guys who never coded a line in their life telling a dude how to feel.

So yeah, dude can feel however he wants. Yall need to get over it.

"A little bit of me died inside"
"inherently wrong"
Yeah sure. Gotta do platform war.
Normal people are like "I'm glad many more people will get to experience my hard work". Fanboys are like "I'm dying inside because these filthy Nintendo are going to play the game I worked on".

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looked an played great on my pro, didn't miss 60 fps at all and that is coming from someone who couldn't stand The Witness at 30. It all depends on the game I guess.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

I wouldn't expect GameFAQs to be that mature about it as a whole, but then again things have changed since I was an immature brat on the site.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
"A little bit of me died inside"
"inherently wrong"
Yeah sure. Gotta do platform war.

When he designed the game it was literally in the era of platform wars. It was literally in an era where Nintendo was a beast and them and Sega owned the market.

No shit he has a platform attached. He helped developed the game that was the mascot character to an extremely successful first attempt into the console market.

Are you gonna keep ignoring context? Yeah probably I imagine.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony already got everything possible out of the game with its exclusivity window. Glad it'll be available on other platforms.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think part of it you folks might be missing is there was a very underdog grassroots attitude among some of the devs in those days. Nintendo was a juggernaut and a lot of devs we're inspired by taking them on and felt a lot of pride when they toppled them. The landscape was just so different. It's the same sort of thing Sega of America was doing in the early 90's.

So when a member of the original Crash staff says something like that, well I don't think it's necessarily about brand loyalty. I mean it is to an extent obviously, but I think it's more about the legacy of what the game means to him being muddled up by something like this. Those Crash games aren't just games to them, they're the relics that remain of them taking on Nintendo and winning and so it has a deeper more personal relation to PlayStations legacy to them than just fanboyism or hardware loyalty. It's part of the story of their life and some people really want that preserved.

Back then Crash was pushed as the anti-Mario and people associated with Sony and it worked for a long time.

I think it's their fault they didn't keep that way, like Ratchet & Clank and Knack. Having a group of recognizable characters reinforce it's identity with the console, Nintendo and Sega knows that. Hell, Sega doesn't even have a console, yet, they still have a LOT of recognizable characters (see Sega all star Racing).

Even Microsoft knew that, I doubt it would survive its first console if it wasn't for Halo.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
When he designed the game it was literally in the era of platform wars. It was literally in an era where Nintendo was a beast and them and Sega owned the market.

No shit he has a platform attached. He helped developed the game that was the mascot character to an extremely successful first attempt into the console market.

Are you gonna keep ignoring context? Yeah probably I imagine.

Yes, I am. This is a childish behaviour, history or not.
As I said:
"
Normal people are like "I'm glad many more people will get to experience my hard work". Fanboys are like "I'm dying inside because these filthy Nintendo are going to play the game I worked on".
"

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Come on now.... Mario Is Nintendo. Crash isn't on the same level and hasn't been relevant for years before those latest release. Crash also already been multiplattform.

This is like still being mad about Sonic being on Nintendo systems when he has been multiplattform for years already.

It would be something different if Crash was suddenly Nintendo exclusive or similar... Sony still got the preferred treatment with this release because if the successful history. Win/Win.
Mario is Nintendo and Crash was once Sony. Just Sony. And that's the "what if" scenario Dark1x is presenting. Crash is obviously not as big as Mario, hell most video game IPs are not as big as Mario but that's not the point

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I am. This is a childish behaviour, history or not.
As I said:
"
"
no fanboys detected then because nobody said "these filthy Nintendo..." seems to me that the childish behavior is just not accepting that not everyone thinks the same way. And just because not everyone thinks the same way doesn't automatically make them fanboys

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

The problem here are double standards. Capcom also knew that Dead Rising had a better shot with microsoft support and that's why they did what they did, yet people were upset about Dead Rising exclusivity. Same capcom does same thing with street fighter V, then suddenly it's all alright, game would never have existed without sony, good sony should be praised not be bashed, etcetera. Any game coming first to other platforms that don't announce the exact day they're coming to playstation is having shady manipulation from other platform owners, but same happens with games like Crash, Nier Automata and Death Stranding and there's nothing wrong with it or the fault lies entirely on the publisher/dev, not Sony. You can't selectively pick when this kind of practice will bother you or not.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
The original trilogy on Switch is sweet irony to me after that cocky Crash ad in front of Nintendo's HQ.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Say no more then. A convo where you ignore the entire context is pointless.

The context doesn't change his point of view. The context explains why he's emotionnally invested in this as opposed to regular fanboys. But the context doesn't explain his reaction.

no fanboys detected then because nobody said "these filthy Nintendo..." seems to me that the childish behavior is just not accepting that not everyone thinks the same way. And just because not everyone thinks the same way doesn't automatically make them fanboys

Sure, I made it more simple even if he didn't said as such. But it's much of the same when you claim it's inherently wrong that HIS crash game is going to appear on a Nintendo platform.