• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The listing on the eShop for Crash just got updated to have the new release date, and the file size is updated now.
It says that the game is only 5.2 GB big, and that's insane (lol) considering the game is about 20 GB on PS4

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo must use a very good compression algorithm for Switch games, pretty much every single one is smaller than on other consoles/Wii U.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they also trimmed off the annoyingly long intro that was on PS4. I'll double dip just for that.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Woah.... Indeed

That's a drastic difference, gotta check with somebody else or something.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. In a world where we're about to enter 100GB downloads be the norm(It's already gotten there with some big 4k asset upgrades), at least one place is willing to not completely murder my limited internet lol

Oct 25, 2017
Compression and normal HD assets go a long way I guess.
Seems like they will, and I absolutely love that. I despise the ugly white banner so it's nice to see Activision of all publishers not use that strategy
Was it not already confirmed to be on cart with no download mention?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-nintendo-switch/6219578.p?skuId=6219578
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/159729

Oct 26, 2017
He included Wii U there, meaning at least there that's definitely not the case. The recent DK being 6.6GB instead of 11.4GB despite actually being an upgrade.

I mean, Tropical Freeze clearly struggled to load on WiiU and compression makes loading worse so it could have been that they had to decompress Tropical Freeze WiiU so that the load times weren't just horrible.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Tropical Freeze clearly struggled to load on WiiU and compression makes loading worse so it could have been that they had to decompress Tropical Freeze WiiU so that the load times weren't just horrible.
Actually, the reason why the size is so low now even though the resolution is upped in docked and the load times are faster is because they changed the way assets were pulled in-engine.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
He included Wii U there, meaning at least there that's definitely not the case. The recent DK being 6.6GB instead of 11.4GB despite actually being an upgrade.

There is a world of difference between going from 11.4GB to 6.6GB = 58% file size and 20GB to 5.2GB = 26% file size.

The N. Sane Trilogy runs @ 30fps and comes with 4k assets for the pro. The Switch won't run the game at 4k output.

The assumption that they got the game down to 26% of the original file size due to dialed down assets is much more reasonable than magic pixy compression.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This gives me hope that Smash 6 will actually fit on a 16GB cart.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo stays winning.

Would love to see Sony and Microsoft push for compressing file sizes.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Can't they do that for ps4 version? Load times killed me

That tweet it talking about Donkey Kong.
Nothing mentioned in that tweet would likely do anything to help the PS4 version of the Crash Trilogy load faster or have a smaller file size, it's specific to how assets were packed in Wii U version of Tropical Freeze vs the Switch version.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do these games hold up for someone who never played the originals and therefore has no nostalgia?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They clearly rented out that Nintendo Compression press machine for developers.

There is no other explanation.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There is a world of difference between going from 11.4GB to 6.6GB = 58% file size and 20GB to 5.2GB = 26% file size.

The N. Sane Trilogy runs @ 30fps and comes with 4k assets for the pro. The Switch won't run the game at 4k output.

The assumption that they got the game down to 26% of the original file size due to dialed down assets is much more reasonable than magic pixy compression.

Likening a legitimate technique used by lots of developers to something fanciful and not real is really quite derisive and you did it for no good reason other than to make your point seem more credible. Just wanted to point that out.

Also, Crash, like many other PS4 Pro games, does not feature native 4K assets. At best, the game offers 1440p assets (Vicarious Visions confirmed that was the case, BTW), which would assuredly not account for the 74% difference from 1080p, 900p or even 720p assets on Switch, so your point is moot in the first place.

Last edited: