• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. PS4 Pro renders at a native resolution of 2560x1440 and this is downsampled when outputting at 1080p.

Switch in Docked Mode renders at a native resolution of 1280x720 and in Portable Mode renders at a native resolution of approximately 853x480.

Xbox One renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 and Xbox One X renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

The UI is rendered at 3840x2160 on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, 1920x1080 on PS4 and Xbox One, and 1280x720 on Switch in both Docked Mode and Portable mode.

The Switch in portable mode appears to run better than in docked mode, though the game can still occasionally drop below 30fps in portable mode during both gameplay and cutscenes.

Some differences between the Switch version and the other consoles versions are that it has removed fur effects, removed reflections, uses some lower quality textures, has reduced effects during some explosions and has a shorter draw distance. Reflections seem to render at the same resolution on PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox One X.

Stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...oTrkGhnPy1KkF2C7NIYCUnqD9k/edit#gid=271138655

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
480p is just sad, glad I decided on picking the PC version instead. Couldn't pass up on 60fps

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Man I was really hoping for X1X to be 60 fps. It's great that it's locked 30 at 4k, but I can't help but wonder if they could have added a 1080/60 mode for X users.

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
480p ouch. I'll stick to the PS1 versions for portable and play on Stean for the glorious 60fps.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I get 70-80fps at 5K with my 1080Ti

120fps at 4K

240fps at 1080p

Definitely a good port. Game looks and runs beautifully.

Mar 6, 2018
wow, 30fps on pro and x, it's strange, i got a 1050ti and i get 60fps at 1080p, pro gpu could surely do it at 1440p, guess it's cpu or just non optimal programming...

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe only the PC version is 60fps, oh well.

If I was going to get any of these versions I'd probably get the Switch one, even if 480p sounds rough.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Something weird is going on with the Switch port. It shouldn't be that bad. Need an explanation from someone like DF.

Oct 29, 2017
Base XBone at native 1080p is really surprising! If that's the case, I don't see why Switch couldn't have been a bit better than 720p docked/480p portable...

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 Pro not even 2160c? That's just fucking pathetic.

I mean... It's Crash Bandicoot not Crysis. You can't tell me that it would not be possible to hit 2160c 30fps.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something weird is going on with the Switch port. It shouldn't be that bad. Need an explanation from someone like DF.

Given its based on the Skylanders engine which also wasn't native res on Switch it's not surprising. But given the scale of the levels on this game it's a little disappointing - however the IQ is still perfectly fine in portable and doesn't detract much from the games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59

Switch version looks and runs great in handheld mode in my opinion. People need to look past the numbers they see in write ups and actually check how it looks in person before judging.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the Switch version. 480p sounds bad on paper, but it looks decent enough in person.

Oct 29, 2017
We don't know the exact bottleneck the engine has to face on switch. The switch version even has some shadows missing.

I'm pretty sure that we haven't seen this level of disparity with base XBone/Switch before, so something weird is definitely up here. Be it an engine specific bottleneck or poor optimisation or something else.

Oct 29, 2017
It is? Didnt expect anything else to be fair. Its a remaster of a platformer.

It's not a remaster, it's a full, ground-up remake. And it's a great looking one too!

Just because a game uses stylised, CG cartoon esc visuals, doesn't mean that it can't be visually impressive and taxing on its target hardware.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew Crash Switch looked fuzzier (not by the fur shading) than the PS4 version when put side by side, had no idea it was THAT low dough

Sniatch

Apr 9, 2018
It's not a remaster, it's a full, ground-up remake. And it's a great looking one too!

Just because a game uses stylised, CG cartoon esc visuals, doesn't mean that it can't be visually impressive and taxing on its target hardware.

The Cover says it's a remaster.
91iP4NOH5yL._SX342_.jpg

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Dont think its a remake tho. They even even say its a remaster.
But i dont see why its surprising its 1080p. Its pretty normal and expected.

Oct 29, 2017
Is the base Xbox one and switch that close in power?. The difference seems about right to me

Well, other ports have managed something closer. Sonic Forces for example, runs at 720p on both consoles (albeit at half the frame rate on Switch), Yooka Laylee managed 900p on Switch (compared to 1080p on XBone, same frame rate), DOOM runs at around 650-720p most of the time on Switch compared to around 800-830p on XBone (Switch runs at around 25-30 FPS, while XBone runs around 45-50FPS most of the time). Fortnite also targets the same 729p-900p dynamic res on both Switch and XBone and looks visually identical (outside of the frame rate).

So while I wouldn't really expect 1080p on Switch, I'd expect something closer to 900p if XBone manages native 1080p without much issue (and certainly better in portable mode!)

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I'm surprised by the portable res. Playing it you can tell it isn't native but I couldn't tell it was that low and never distracted from the gameplay

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Given its based on the Skylanders engine which also wasn't native on Switch it's not surprising. But given the scale of the levels on this game it's a little disappointing - however the IQ is still perfectly fine in portable and doesn't detract much from the games.

Switch version looks and runs great in handheld mode in my opinion. People need to look past the numbers they see in write ups and actually check how it looks in person before judging.

I'm really enjoying the Switch version. 480p sounds bad on paper, but it looks decent enough in person.

Game looks absolutely fine in handheld mode

^

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Does a PC comparable to the One X able to do 1080p+ with 60fps? Mind is boggled that it can't. Are they just targeting resolution and not performance?

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not always the case. For example, resolution (if too high) will tank the framerate due to the GPU not being able to handle it, not because of a CPU bottleneck. Same with AA settings, alpha effects...etc
It is and has been this whole generation. If you get the same framerate at 1080 that you do at 2k or 4k it's the cpu

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

Nah, it's not a remake. A remake would fundamentally change the game in some way. Like changing levels up, adding new things that were never there or planned before.

A remaster takes the core of all the different parts and pretties them up.

I call it a remaster.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, it's not a remake. A remake would fundamentally change the game in some way. Like changing levels up, adding new things that were never there or planned before.

I call it a remaster.
they added a new playable character and a level

i call it a remake

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch at the moment, but is this purely a frame-rate and resolution comparison? I'd be interested in more in depth analysis of the changes made for the Switch version.

I call it a remaster.
A remaster simply takes the original code and runs it with more bells and whistles. You might find new assets in place and maybe even some adjustments, but it's not going to be a ground-up new game in terms of programming. By your definition of what a remake means, Wind Waker HD is more of a remake than Crash is.

I really do not understand why the gaming industry has abused the definition of a remaster so much.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
A remaster simply takes the original code and runs it with more bells and whistles. You might find new assets in place and maybe even some adjustments, but it's not going to be a ground-up new game in terms of programming. By your definition of what a remake means, Wind Waker HD is more of a remake than Crash is.

I really do not understand why the gaming industry has abused the definition of a remaster so much.

Because this game by and large only changes visual aspects. You could say they remade the graphics... but they didn't fundamentally change the game. They took the games... made them pretty, and added a couple extras.

They didn't redefine or remake what Crash is/was... it's the games we all know and love... just prettier.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's weird is if I'd have seen this thread first I never would have bought the Switch version

But I got it for my gf who doesn't play many games but remembers Crash. And she plays it while I'm on the PS4. And I had a go with it myself and honestly the graphics are fine. I prefer it docked because it looks nice on the OLED.

Not everything has to come down to resolution. The Switch has some genuinely different use cases which make up for its other weaknesses. And I genuinely was impressed seeing this run on Switch.

Because this game by and large only changes visual aspects. You could say they remade the graphics... but they didn't fundamentally change the game. They took the games... made them pretty, and added a couple extras.

They didn't redefine or remake what Crash is/was... it's the games we all know and love... just prettier.
But it's completely different code entirely. That is literally a remake.

No one calls Gus Van Sant's take on Psycho a remaster of Alfred Hitchcock's film, even though it's nearly shot-for-shot and uses the same script.