• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Crash on the Run may still be in beta until the 25th, but it's been going so wild with fanservice lately that I felt it would be a shame to not highlight some of the amazing character callbacks being made. As you may already know, it's a mobile runner game where the premise is that Cortex is opening portals across the multiverse, allowing villains from all of Crash history to wreak havoc. They could have taken the easy route and simply had the bosses be your typical baddies like Tiny, Dingodile, and Uka Uka, but they went further. They could have even stopped at including forgotten foes like the Elementals and Scorporilla, but they went FURTHER.

First on the list of deep cuts is Mr. Crumb, who's been known about for quite some time. He's the main villain of Crash 99X, and if you've never heard of it, that's because it's an absurdly obscure Tiger Electronics LCD game from 1998 that has never once been referenced in the series until now. Just look at this glow up from his original appearance:

However, he's not the only one making a return from that game, as it was recently revealed that his minion Thorn Thing is also back in all of his wooden glory.

This is already enough to make any Crash fan salivate, but there's more. Crash Twinsanity is a bit infamous for having a huge amount of cut content, one of its scrapped levels being "Gone a Bit Coco". It was supposed to take place in Coco's mind and have Cortex fending off cute and cuddly foes like lollipop-wielding teddy bears and pink elephants with captains hats... but a little thing like not actually being implemented in the game isn't enough to stop Crash on the Run from including the latter as a boss.

19a25f8cf02201242a3753858082af3e.png

Finally, we have the greatest boss of all. Back when Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled was getting new content, the Crash subreddit would frequently be filled with requests for new racers, and the characters being requested were often so random and unlikely that people started making joke requests for ridiculous characters like "the iron checkpoint crate from Crash 3". Well, come the game's final update, the crate was indeed made a playable character.

maxresdefault.jpg

Apparently the Iron Crate didn't fully get its aggression out on the racetrack, as this inanimate object now seeks revenge on Crash as a miniboss alongside several elemental variants.

Screenshot_20210305-234540_Crash_Bandicoot.png

If all this is just what they have lined up for launch, I can't wait to see what they have planned for the future. There is literally no character too old, minor, or irrelevant to be ruled out at this point.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This game soft launched almost one year ago, it's crazy how long it takes for the actual release.
I wonder if people that have been playing since April get to keep their progress.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
When will a Donkey Kong Country game give us the dream of playable Brothers Bear

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This game soft launched almost one year ago, it's crazy how long it takes for the actual release.
I wonder if people that have been playing since April get to keep their progress.

Thankfully the current beta that's been running for a while will let you keep your progress in the full game. They would have had a lot of annoyed players if it didn't since you can already spend money in the game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looking forward to playing this. those who have already played it, how is it? what's the monetization like?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
That elephant was cute before and now it's ugly. The eyes, larger trunk, and eyebrows ruined it so hard.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
This kind of stuff brings me life, especially in such hard times as lately; Really, I can't help but smile seeing freaking Thorn Thing being highlighted with such attention to detail; The redesign process they showed also just emphasize how much care they're putting it!

Nitro-Fueled and On The Run are absolutely peak for a Crash fan! Especially as someone that played everything under the sun like me ~

Ev0BBBLWQAYH-DC

I made a list of currently confirmed characters for the game, btw, and the producer actually said they'll be looking forward to fill those "not referenced yet" games on the bottom!

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
looking forward to playing this. those who have already played it, how is it? what's the monetization like?

It's a pretty fun game. Basically you go on Collection Runs to gather materials, use those materials to craft weapons, and then use those weapons to go on Battle Runs to fight bosses. (Of course, it's a mobile game so there are wait timers for crafting and you have to wait a few hours for Collection Runs to refill with materials.) There are also Gem Runs to get colored gems, Challenge Runs to get extra materials, Time Trials, and a multiplayer component in the form of Survival Runs where you race bots to get trophies and help your team get high rankings. There's quite a bit of stuff that says "coming soon" in the beta so there'll likely end up being even more than that.

As for the MTX, you can spend money on crystals, which have four main uses:

1. Speed up wait timers for crafting / crafting material refills (obviously do not do this unless you're a whale)
2. Buy weapons / materials instead of having to collect and make them yourself (see above)
3. Unlock additional crafting slots
4. Buy skins/outfits for Crash and Coco that help you get extra crafting materials and trophies for team rankings

Hard to say how the monetization will feel until the full game is out, currently it's pretty stingy with free crystals but that may just be so the beta testers aren't sitting on a huge crystal hoard when all the new players arrive.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty fun game. Basically you go on Collection Runs to gather materials, use those materials to craft weapons, and then use those weapons to go on Battle Runs to fight bosses. (Of course, it's a mobile game so there are wait timers for crafting and you have to wait a few hours for Collection Runs to refill with materials.) There are also Gem Runs to get colored gems, Challenge Runs to get extra materials, Time Trials, and a multiplayer component in the form of Survival Runs where you race bots to get trophies and help your team get high rankings. There's quite a bit of stuff that says "coming soon" in the beta so there'll likely end up being even more than that.

As for the MTX, you can spend money on crystals, which have four main uses:

1. Speed up wait timers for crafting / crafting material refills (obviously do not do this unless you're a whale)
2. Buy weapons / materials instead of having to collect and make them yourself (see above)
3. Unlock additional crafting slots
4. Buy skins/outfits for Crash and Coco that help you get extra crafting materials and trophies for team rankings

Hard to say how the monetization will feel until the full game is out, currently it's pretty stingy with free crystals but that may just be so the beta testers aren't sitting on a huge crystal hoard when all the new players arrive.
nice, there's way more to it than i assumed. i thought it's a basic temple run/subway surfers clone.

Oct 27, 2017
Thorn Thing's updated design is actually pretty dope!
I just love these obscure as fuck picks they're making lol
The more I see of this game the more my interest in it grows.