• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't expect it to sell well on Switch with MK8D already on the system. Most people will be happy with one kart racer.

I would agree with this if Nintendo were occasionally scheduling and releasing DLC for it to keep the game fresh but they're doing no such thing right now. The door is wide open for some competition to come in.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the European situation, but I just visited the American website. The Xbox and PlayStation versions list retailers you can pre-order from. Switch version says coming soon. It also shows Switch boxart for a physical copy. I wouldn't worry about them trying to pull the rug out from under people. I they could fit the trilogy on to a cart, a single game should be much easier.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
baseless speculation: the switch version is going to have a nintendo guest character in it, re-announced with a new trailer in the january direct after the announcement of crash coming to smash.

I work for a big retailer in the UK, Activision told us to take the switch version off pre-order because they weren't sure if they would be shipping physical copies for that version.
BOOOOO
i would get it digitally if there's no physical release, but i really hope they change their mind.

Thats a shame. I', going digital but that is bad for people that want it. Guess it's too big for the normal carts?
no way, crash trilogy is 5.2 GB with the physical release being on an 8GB cart. i don't think the switch version of CTR would be too big for a 16GB cart, and a lot of games are using them now, and their price would drop even lower by the time the game is ready.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I work for a big retailer in the UK, Activision told us to take the switch version off pre-order because they weren't sure if they would be shipping physical copies for that version.

I only see this happening if it's too big. The trilogy believe it or not was I believe 5.7GB which is TINY for what's three whole games with current-gen visuals.

I have a hard time believing that CTR would exceed 8GB to fit on said cart. But I guess the trilogy reused a shit ton of assets across the games, so that likely helped a ton.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Why is there always some shenanigans when a Switch 3rd party game is supposed to release day and date with the other platforms, sigh. This will be Dark Souls Remastered all over again, won't it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
They'd literally be saying "no Thankyou" to their highest platform sales if they cancelled the Switch version. It's Kart Racer nirvana.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only see this happening if it's too big. The trilogy believe it or not was I believe 5.7GB which is TINY for what's three whole games with current-gen visuals.
5.2, and it's not like they HAVE to use an 8GB cart, 16GB ones aren't super expensive like the never-used 32 ones, and i have a hard time believing a switch port won't fit on a 16 cart.

They'd literally be saying "no Thankyou" to their highest platform sales if they cancelled the Switch version. It's Kart Racer nirvana.
the biggest platform will no doubt be ps4, but the switch version still would do very well (if there is a physical release)

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I hope people aren't dumb enough to believe they'd cancel the guaranteed second best selling version especially after literally just announcing it lol

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird. Probably a delay of a few months or something.
i think there's a delay, yeah. i don't think they would release this digital only, there's no reason when the switch physical version of the trilogy charted in most markets and did pretty well, and when you consider that it will likely outsell the xbo version that has a physical release.
in the game's official website, they have the release date for ps4/xbo version as june 21, but have the switch version as "coming soon". it was june 21 when the site went up.
also it seems like the switch version is being handled by another dev, so a delay isn't super weird:
so i guess the switch version isn't being done by beenox. they're mentioned by name on the covers of the ps4 and xbo versions, but not the switch one. for the n-sane trilogy it was something similar, vicarious visions' name was on the cover of the ps4/xbo versions but not the switch one because that port was done by toys for bob. i wonder who's doing the switch port?

screenshot2018-12-07atxfq7.jpg
it's pretty disappointing if it doesn't launch alongside the other versions, but if it's a good port when it does come, that's all that matters.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Funny and pathetic at the same time that even when the stars seem perfectly aligned for a successful third party game, they manage to drop the ball for unexplainable reasons. Are they being advised by Patcher?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
i think there's a delay, yeah. i don't think they would release this digital only, there's no reason when the switch physical version of the trilogy charted in most markets and did pretty well, and when you consider that it will likely outsell the xbo version that has a physical release.
in the game's official website, they have the release date for ps4/xbo version as june 21, but have the switch version as "coming soon". it was june 21 when the site went up.
also it seems like the switch version is being handled by another dev, so a delay isn't super weird:

it's pretty disappointing if it doesn't launch alongside the other versions, but if it's a good port when it does come, that's all that matters.

I'm guessing it might be something like that. Maybe they went ahead with the announcement without checking with the devs, and then the devs said that they can't get it done by that date. Would be funny if it happened like that and the devs only learned about it with the announcement.

Could still be something else. I feel like there's some interesting story behind this, but nothing actually big.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Funny and pathetic at the same time that even when the stars seem perfectly aligned for a successful third party game, they manage to drop the ball for unexplainable reasons. Are they being advised by Patcher?

It's actually fascinating that everytime we are about to get a day and date 3rd party release for all platforms (which doesn't happen too often to be fair) something weird happens and the Switch release is getting delayed or magically disappears from pre-orders.

This is especially weird because this game would sell well on the Switch. The combination 3rd party and Nintendo is simply doomed even if Nintendo tries lol.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually fascinating that everytime we are about to get a day and date 3rd party release for all platforms (which doesn't happen too often to be fair) something weird happens and the Switch release is getting delayed or magically disappears from pre-orders.

This is especially weird because this game would sell well on the Switch. The combination 3rd party and Nintendo is simply doomed even if Nintendo tries lol.
i fully expect similar fuckery to happen with doom eternal and mortal kombat 11 too.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
It would be yet another thing which adds fuel to the fire of my conspiracy theory which is that devs are deliberately not releasing games day and date with Switch, not because they can't, but because the portability gives it a USP which makes people want to double dip.

Just like with Dark Souls. It was going to be day and date, then all of a sudden "due to the nature of causality" it got delayed for fricking ages. Before the delay, DS for Switch was tracking high above the other versions on preorders because PORTABLE SOULS OMG. They probably saw that and thought, "let's delay so that people will double dip".

It's similar to what Take 2 do with Rockstar games. They know they sell well so they don't release on PC for a long time. This means they can sell you all the same game on a superior platform later on. It's an utterly disgusting practice but there it is. I expect this will be similar.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be yet another thing which adds fuel to the fire of my conspiracy theory which is that devs are deliberately not releasing games day and date with Switch, not because they can't, but because the portability gives it a USP which makes people want to double dip.

Just like with Dark Souls. It was going to be day and date, then all of a sudden "due to the nature of causality" it got delayed for fricking ages. Before the delay, DS for Switch was tracking high above the other versions on preorders because PORTABLE SOULS OMG. They probably saw that and thought, "let's delay so that people will double dip".

It's similar to what Take 2 do with Rockstar games. They know they sell well so they don't release on PC for a long time. This means they can sell you all the same game on a superior platform later on. It's an utterly disgusting practice but there it is. I expect this will be similar.
that only works when the game in question is desirable enough to warrant some folks double dipping. GTA is that kind of game. Dark Souls and Crash isn't that kind of game

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

I really doubt that this is the case. I don't think there'd be enough double-dippers to mzke up for potential sales from launching at the same time.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

No business in their right mind would ever do anything like this. I think you need to double-check your theory.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preorders for the physical version started to reappar at french retailers and I assume worldwide soon (or at least in Europe if there's an issue with the NA region specifically).

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Im not getting this on the switch anyways, smash def didnt improve my opinion with their online service. None the less, I do hope it comes to switch as Im sure plenty of people will want it who maybe doesnt have a Ps4/XBO

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad that the initial hype that led to early pre-orders died down a bit. Sometimes I have the feeling that 3rd parties are sabotaging the Switch release on purpose because I can't explain these weird moves.