• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not worried about the CTTR tracks overall, it probably isn't going to be that hard to tweak the layouts to be better suited to the CTR/CNK mechanics and the overall themeing will probably be either A: Completely committing to the theme park aesthetic which has a lot of potential consider what we've seen them do so far with modernising track looks or B: Reworking the themes to be based on Crash 3, so the Pirate tracks can be a mix of the Jetski and Underwater levels visually, the Fairytale tracks can be based on the Medieval levels and so on.
Eh, I'm thinking, they couldmake it a unified theme park cup with four tracks each one based off the different zones make them each a distinct part of the theme park. Which is part one but more focused by not stretching it over multiple tracks. They could do a lot with that

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not worried about the CTTR tracks overall, it probably isn't going to be that hard to tweak the layouts to be better suited to the CTR/CNK mechanics and the overall themeing will probably be either A: Completely committing to the theme park aesthetic which has a lot of potential consider what we've seen them do so far with modernising track looks or B: Reworking the themes to be based on Crash 3, so the Pirate tracks can be a mix of the Jetski and Underwater levels visually, the Fairytale tracks can be based on the Medieval levels and so on.
This is what I'm harping on. It would put those N. Sane Warped assets to good use though at that point, you're really just better off making new tracks instead because in all honesty, the tracks are nothing special. They're not creative as CTR or even CNK's track layouts.

The big problem with the CTTR tracks for me especially is that they're so out-of-touch and tone-wise, don't work with Crash AT ALL, in its current state especially. Hell, there's literally shit in the game:
image0.jpg

Must I see THAT in HD?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
This is what I'm harping on. It would put those N. Sane Warped assets to good use though at that point, you're really just better off making new tracks instead because in all honesty, the tracks are nothing special. They're not creative as CTR or even CNK's track layouts.

The big problem with the CTTR tracks for me especially is that they're so out-of-touch and tone-wise, don't work with Crash AT ALL, in its current state especially. Hell, there's literally shit in the game:
image0.jpg

Must I see THAT in HD?
yes

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017

image0.jpg

Must I see THAT in HD?

What the hell ? Rare dev this or ?

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, that should be quite fun to see tomorrow
Also, found a video from earlier May of the themed kart track

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
And agreed, I hated this era of "Donnie Thornberry" Crash. He seems to be sneaking back into the remakes which worries me. I liked him so much more when he was just a wackier version of Mario.

Lol, that's the exact comparison I came to as well.

I'm hoping that the noisier Crash in Nitro Fueled is just the current VA's take on his CTR laughs and whatnot. If nothing else, he doesn't seem like a sadistic little shit the way he does in CTTR. I always thought Crash's charm came from his simple, quiet nature in the face of great opposition, not being a clueless babbling loudmouth who only seems to take pleasure in causing mischief and the suffering of others.

Last edited:

LooseGoose717

Banned
May 9, 2019
From previews :
  • 18 tracks from CTR
  • 13 tracks from CNK
That's all of the legacy content.

CTR had four worlds with 4 tracks each plus two bonus tracks. CNK had four worlds with 3 tracks each and 1 bonus track.

List;
Crash Cove
Mystery Caves
Roo's Tubes
Sewer Speedway
Coco Park
Tiger Temple
Papa's Pyramid
Dingo Canyon
Blizzard Bluff
Dragon Mines
Polar Pass
Tiny Arena
Cortex Castle
Hot Air Skyway
N. Gin Labs
Oxide Station
Turbo Track
Slide Colosseum

Inferno Island
Jungle Boogie
Tiny Temple
Meteor Gorge
Barin Ruins
Deep Sea Driving
Out Of Time
Clockwork Wumpa
Thunder Struck
Electron Avenue
Android Alley
Assembly Lane
Hyper Spaceway

If their goal is to have more tracks than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, they're getting close. CTTR tracks and the PS4 retro track could put it at a match it even exceed.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Going to be weird with all the CTTR levels; they're going to need a lot of touching up to not feel just feel like flat stretches of broken-down theme park rides taking up almost 1/3 of the levels. Still, I trust Beenox to make them palatable.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, what's all this talk about cttr tracks. I would very much appreciate to not have that in this game. Cttr had a lot of charm going for it, but not in its track design. If anything the track design in that game accentuated that even the racing part of the game isn't about racing. Just a whole collection of flat wavy tracks with no particular design to it, sometimes disrupted by big straights with some gimmick hazards to avoid. Some of the tracks look nice, but zero of them were actually fun to play from any track design perspective. Keep that stuff out of Nitro-Fueled please, I'll take the karts and hopefully the characters as well, but not the tracks. Less is definitely more in this case.

Looking forward to whatever that stream is tomorrow.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
What hurts the track's identity most is that they're all just variants of the same theme, since they all had to be linked to the same hub worlds. 3 pirate tracks, three fairytale tracks, 3 space tracks etc, etc, they all end up just blending together. They also had to keep in the "Themepark" facade look in mind, so a lot of the details and set dressing feels cheap and fake (whether they intended it to or not still hurts it). Like most, I had the most fun fucking around the Hub Worlds since it felt like an indirect sequel to Simpsons Hit & Run meets Crash Twinsanity.

And agreed, I hated this era of "Donnie Thornberry" Crash. He seems to be sneaking back into the remakes which worries me. I liked him so much more when he was just a wackier version of Mario.
I wouldn't worry about Beenox making the tracks looking the best they can do, and especially making them look different enough when using the same general theme (as seen with some CNK tracks which originally were made to evoque CTR tracks); but at the sametime, I really think the theme park setting is important for these tracks.. they'd need to keep them, as they're making CNK tracks to better represent the alien aspect of being in other planets and what-not

as for Crash, I never really saw anything too wrong with his portray in CTTR.. at least not in the main cutscenes and all (not counting the random events you could trigger), and coming from TwinSanity, seemed even more natural ~

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The tracks are not 1:1 recreations even in CNK due to wanting to pace them better and bring them in line with CTR. I really can't imagine they'd leave the CTTR stuff (designed for an entirely different subgenre) 1:1 either.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'll just say that it'd be astonishing if Beenox went into all 15 CTTR tracks with the level of care we've seen in the CTR and NK tracks. I would be incredibly impressed.

But please no giant HD poop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, what's all this talk about cttr tracks. I would very much appreciate to not have that in this game. Cttr had a lot of charm going for it, but not in its track design. If anything the track design in that game accentuated that even the racing part of the game isn't about racing. Just a whole collection of flat wavy tracks with no particular design to it, sometimes disrupted by big straights with some gimmick hazards to avoid. Some of the tracks look nice, but zero of them were actually fun to play from any track design perspective. Keep that stuff out of Nitro-Fueled please, I'll take the karts and hopefully the characters as well, but not the tracks. Less is definitely more in this case.

Looking forward to whatever that stream is tomorrow.
Beenox has proven to be able to take the charmless and infuse life and identity into it. Compare the new and old Electron Avenue to see the potential in refurbishing the CTTR tracks. I would almost consider them new tracks all-together with the kind of footwork they're willing to put in.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
there's another thing that would make any of the CTTR tracks being more exciting: the actual mechanics from CTR; not only the action is more frantic, drifting will make a whole lot a different experience; then you got items that actually does something to other racers and you have pure chaos.

CTTR tracks were bland because they were made for a bland battle and driving mechanics. .. basically all you had to do was merging with another racer and split when you're close of the finishing line

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I do hope they give a lot of care to the shortcuts.

In CTTR shortcuts were unlocked through actions in the hub world and took pretty much no skill to use in actual races, just knowledge of where they were (and they weren't terribly well hidden). In CTR, most shortcuts require skillful jumping, where you run the risk of setting yourself back further if you fail. In CTTR, there's no risk in using them, and you'd be foolish not to.

There needs to be some active barrier to the shortcuts, either by skill or maybe an item exchange, like in Tiger Temple.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Beenox has proven to be able to take the charmless and infuse life and identity into it. Compare the new and old Electron Avenue to see the potential in refurbishing the CTTR tracks. I would almost consider them new tracks all-together with the kind of footwork they're willing to put in.
The key difference here is that the CNK tracks were well designed tracks from a level design perspective to begin with and apart from removing anti-grav sections all Beenox is really doing is making it very pretty. Cttr tracks are mediocre level designs, purposefully made that way to make the combat/fusion gameplay systems that game had work. Even if they just remade the tracks and make it look pretty like they did with the CNK tracks, they would still be horrible track layouts that are just bland compared to any other CTR/CNK track. Their inclusion would only weigh the experience down every time you're forced to play on them. Those tracks would need MAYOR redesigns in track layout to even get me remotely excited about them, giving them the same treatment as the CNK tracks would not nearly be enough and greatly devalue the total package imo, those tracks need fundamental changes.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The key difference here is that the CNK tracks were well designed tracks from a level design perspective to begin with and apart from removing anti-grav sections all Beenox is really doing is making it very pretty. Cttr tracks are mediocre level designs, purposefully made that way to make the combat/fusion gameplay systems that game had work. Even if they just remade the tracks and make it look pretty like they did with the CNK tracks, they would still be horrible track layouts that are just bland compared to any other CTR/CNK track. Their inclusion would only weigh the experience down every time you're forced to play on them. Those tracks would need MAYOR redesigns in track layout to even get me remotely excited about them, giving them the same treatment as the CNK tracks would not nearly be enough and greatly devalue the total package imo, those tracks need fundamental changes.

The CNK tracks also have major restructuring layout wise in places for (their own words) "pacing and to make the gameplay more in line" so I'm not sure they would do CTTR 1:1 when it's more obviously different from CTR than CNK was.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I've been gathering the requests I see all the time floating around in the internet to I make this; sure, not all these got a good shot.. but imagine if we get an "Everyone is Here" moment for Crash? :p
EVERYONE.png

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The CNK tracks also have major restructuring layout wise in places for (their own words) "pacing and to make the gameplay more in line" so I'm not sure they would do CTTR 1:1 when it's more obviously different from CTR than CNK was.
From what I gathered from all the interviews with the devs the restructuring is mainly in play to replace the anti-grav sections from CNK with normal track to drive on. As from the CNK tracks showcased so far, comparing them back to the original CNK game the track layouts are pretty much spot on the same apart from the anti-grav sections. So yeah, I think you might be misguided on how much the CNK tracks actually changed, cause from what they showed so far the restructuring isn't actually that major, or at least not nearly on the same level of restructuring the cttr tracks would need.

Here are the two things that makes CNK tracks so fundamentally different from CTTR tracks:
- CNK was a kart racing game that tried to emulate CTR, with similar gameplay and boost mechanics, with tracks that were reminiscent of CTR track designs.
- CTTR was partly a combat/arcade racing game, with gameplay very different from from the other titles that focused heavily on fighting other karts over actual racing, with tracks that primarily accommodated all the fighting going on and had very little interesting layouts because the racing mechanics simply weren't refined enough to even accommodate tricky track design.

The CNK tracks simply fit the better CTR gameplay like a glove because they were already designed in that way, while the CTTR track layouts from themselves simply don't. If they bothered to make anti-grav work in this remake the CNK tracks would've still been a perfect fit without any need for restructuring. The CTTR tracks are just not fit for the CTR style, the amount of redesign they need to put in to make them remotely enjoyable in this game is simply incomparable to what they actually did to the CNK tracks.

edit: And don't get me wrong, I don't actually hate CTTR or anything. I enjoyed it for what it was. I just recognize that the tracks while fine for that game, just not add anything of value to CTR and unless retooled heavily will most likely consist of the worst tracks in this remake. It's not that hate having more content, but I played with enough people online that will consistently pick Nuke Town in a Call of Duty or Baby Park in a Mario Kart to know that having bad content in your game will absolutely diminish the overall game experience and that less is more sometimes.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
If nothing else, Beenox could really let loose creatively in redesigning the CTTR tracks. After adhering so closely to the original layouts of CTR's tracks and still-pretty-closely to those of CNK (minus anti-grav sections), I'd bet they're itching to inject a little something of their own.

I've been gathering the requests I see all the time floating around in the internet to I make this; sure, not all these got a good shot.. but imagine if we get an "Everyone is Here" moment for Crash? :p
EVERYONE.png

I admit, I don't have much affection at all for the post PS1 additions, but at this point, whatever. Let everyone be happy. If I can get Pork, then I have no complaints.

...Though I'd probably prefer a chunk of the Spyro cast over some of those adds.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if they design completely new tracks that reference CTTR tracks, I'm completely down for that. But imo any fan of CTR should not even want the original CTTR tracks in this, it's like actively inviting bad content.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
From what I gathered from all the interviews with the devs the restructuring is mainly in play to replace the anti-grav sections from CNK with normal track to drive on. As from the CNK tracks showcased so far, comparing them back to the original CNK game the track layouts are pretty much spot on the same apart from the anti-grav sections. So yeah, I think you might be misguided on how much the CNK tracks actually changed, cause from what they showed so far the restructuring isn't actually that major, or at least not nearly on the same level of restructuring the cttr tracks would need.

Here are the two things that makes CNK tracks so fundamentally different from CTTR tracks:
- CNK was a kart racing game that tried to emulate CTR, with similar gameplay and boost mechanics, with tracks that were reminiscent of CTR track designs.
- CTTR was partly a combat/arcade racing game, with gameplay very different from from the other titles that focused heavily on fighting other karts over actual racing, with tracks that primarily accommodated all the fighting going on and had very little interesting layouts because the racing mechanics simply weren't refined enough to even accommodate tricky track design.

The CNK tracks simply fit the better CTR gameplay like a glove because they were already designed in that way, while the CTTR track layouts from themselves simply don't. If they bothered to make anti-grav work in this remake the CNK tracks would've still been a perfect fit without any need for restructuring. The CTTR tracks are just not fit for the CTR style, the amount of redesign they need to put in to make them remotely enjoyable in this game is simply incomparable to what they actually did to the CNK tracks.

First of all, my thinking is beyond simply the layouts, and the entire theme and look and feel of the tracks has been changed entirely for some CNK tracks. Electron Avenue has been shown in full and is pretty considerably different layout wise. Hyper Spaceway will inevitably need to be completely reworked as well. Thomas Wilson, the director, has also said that some CNK tracks are shortened simply to make them faster for full races. I'm not misguided on it at all. I follow this game almost religiously. Crash Bandicoot is my wheelhouse.

I understand that CTTR is an entirely different subgenre of racing game. And all of that is beside the point I'm trying to make; that if they did the CTTR tracks there's no way they'd be 1:1 if they're already making even minor changes to the other tracks for parity's sake. The amount of work is notwithstanding, my point is if they're going to use TTR tracks, it'll be changed versions, not the same layouts. So the point that "the layouts don't lend well" is moot when in my hypothetical scenario, they'd be changed.

I'm not arguing for the tracks, advocating them, anything of the sort or saying they'll be in or asking for them to be in.

The only point I'm making is that if they thought CNK stuff, which is, as you say, pretty damn similar to CTR, needed to be tweaked and changed... then the obvious leap there is that IF the TTR tracks are in, they will not be the same layouts for the obvious reason that they're not designed for the same gameplay. There's no reason anyone should even be floating the fact they're "different and wouldn't work" as any reasoning for them not being in, because it would be clearly considered.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The only point I'm making is that if they thought CNK stuff, which is, as you say, pretty damn similar to CTR, needed to be tweaked and changed... then the obvious leap there is that IF the TTR tracks are in, they will not be the same layouts for the obvious reason that they're not designed for the same gameplay. There's no reason anyone should even be floating the fact they're "different and wouldn't work" as any reasoning for them not being in, because it would be clearly considered.
The only real reason for tweaks shown in the coverage of the CNK tracks so far is because they didn't bother programming the anti-gravity in. Regardless of all the reasoning, the redesigned not-anti-grav bits so far seem to follow a similar path as the anti-grav bits, so seemingly these "tweaks" only exist to avoid having anti-grav. The point here being that they are actually trying to stick really close to original CNK track layouts while making it work within the confines of the CTR gameplay, and them trying to do the same for CTTR (so sticking close to the original design and only making the track suitable for CTR gameplay) would imo be bad cause the CTTR track layout are inherently bad and not designed to just race on.

So yes, they could consider those flaws of the CTTR track design and adjust the tracks heavily, but your original argument of that being on par of what they're doing to the CNK tracks I heavily disagree with. The fundamental changes the CTTR tracks need imo are not comparable to the changes they're doing to the CNK tracks imo. (Note that I'm purely arguing on track layout and gameplay merits, clearly a lot goes into visually redesigning everything but I'm not arguing that)

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The only real reason for tweaks shown in the coverage of the CNK tracks so far is because they didn't bother programming the anti-gravity in. Regardless of all the reasoning, the redesigned not-anti-grav bits so far seem to follow a similar path as the anti-grav bits, so seemingly these "tweaks" only exist to avoid having anti-grav. The point here being that they are actually trying to stick really close to original CNK track layouts while making it work within the confines of the CTR gameplay, and them trying to do the same for CTTR (so sticking close to the original design and only making the track suitable for CTR gameplay) would imo be bad cause the CTTR track layout are inherently bad and not designed to just race on.

So yes, they could consider those flaws of the CTTR track design and adjust the tracks heavily, but your original argument of that being on par of what they're doing to the CNK tracks I heavily disagree with. The fundamental changes the CTTR tracks need imo are not comparable to the changes they're doing to the CNK tracks imo. (Note that I'm purely arguing on track layout and gameplay merits, clearly a lot goes into visually redesigning everything but I'm not arguing that)

You seem to have interpreted it differently from how I meant it. My argument was that if they tweaked one, they wouldn't use the vastly more different ones 1:1 with no changes. And that's all it was. I'm not comparing the workload between the two. I'm saying that if they're not content to use the ones that are close, they wouldn't leave the ones that are extremely different alone either. Not that the workload is comparable or anything of that sort. I'm solely making the point that no one should be worried about CTTR's tracks showing up unaltered and in their original forms.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
What hurts the track's identity most is that they're all just variants of the same theme, since they all had to be linked to the same hub worlds.
It still makes me giggle that they fit a Uranus joke onto every single track in Astro Land. Should've been called Uranus Land.

Although shout-out to Rings of Uranus for being the game's Baby Park. It's fun to have one super short track in the game with loads of laps.

EVERYONE.png
That'd be amazing. I want all of them.

You seem to have interpreted it differently from how I meant it. My argument was that if they tweaked one, they wouldn't use the vastly more different ones 1:1 with no changes. And that's all it was. I'm not comparing the workload between the two. I'm saying that if they're not content to use the ones that are close, they wouldn't leave the ones that are extremely different alone either. Not that the workload is comparable or anything of that sort. I'm solely making the point that no one should be worried about CTTR's tracks showing up unaltered and in their original forms.
I misinterpreted your original point too, because it does seem like the relative workload is an important factor. But thanks for clarifying.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if that's the only point you're trying to make, I guess I somewhat agree. I still feel like I'd rather not have the CTTR tracks at all even in a heavily modified state and rather stick with just the CNK/CTR tracks I know and love. Track design is arguably one of the worst parts of CTTR so even referencing it just doesn't seem like a valuable addition to me, I much rather have that effort placed in anything else really.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Looking at the NK characters all lined up like that... the designers had some kind of thing for underbites and big protruding lower lips. Both Velos, Zam, Zem, Krunk, Big Norm, even Geary to an extent. That orc aesthetic is working overtime.

I wonder if that's why I found the alien designs to be pretty underwhelming as a follow up to Oxide.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
They actually made the attempt of retrofitting CTTR tracks into working with the standard CTR-style in the mobile game, CBNK3D:

But it stinks and really wasn't anything special.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the game seemingly so popular out the gate I wonder if Activision is going to try offering seasonal DLC like Street Fighter 5. I can see their version of Xmas and Summer packs with their own karts, costumes and animations going over better.

Neo Cortrx dressed as Santa pouring coal on the other podiums makes more sense than Ken doing a Shoryuken in a Santa hat.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This video has someone playing who is at least decent at the game and it shows a track called "clockwork wumpa" I hadn't seen before which looks brutal.

Also shows some hitbox issues and a semi-minor glitch, so I hope those kinks get worked out.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
This video has someone playing who is at least decent at the game and it shows a track called "clockwork wumpa" I hadn't seen before which looks brutal.

Also shows some hitbox issues and a semi-minor glitch, so I hope those kinks get worked out.

I like that trapdoor trigger. Can't wait to send a bomb back to drop it open on hapless drivers.

The build is at least a few months old (first shown at PAX East in March), so hopefully they've made some strides.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
^ Jinx

RIGHT! We've got word back from our PR reps.

They say that unfortunately there aren't any CTTR tracks in the game, only the KARTS from the game (starting at launch). We along with others must have misheard this! There was no intention to mislead and we're just as gutted tbh!

That's fine. Would have been a lot of work for the sake of preserving a fairly lousy legacy. If there are more tracks to come, I'd much rather they just made new ones.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
shame i guess, i wasn't to big on CTTR tracks and was more hoping they would just make new tracks which is still what i want

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh bummer, i was excited for the CTTR courses. but what there is is more than worth the asking price already, i'm still day 1.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I only want the characters. If they can confirm the characters exist, that's all I need.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
A shame about the deconfirmation... I wasn't actually expecting them to be included in the game, for the first place, but I was excited about the amount of tracks we would end in the base game; CTTR track quality can be debatable, of course, but more content is always welcome, and Beenox certainly would do wonders to them anyway.. but there's always DLC! and this game will get some, no doubt ~

But.. I do believe we'll be getting the CTTR characters in the base game; the nods to CTTR that were already revealed, are pretty much a tease at this point.. that's a similar situation when we got to see CNK karts in the first trailer of Nitro-Fueled; I'm just feeling that they'll end going with the biggest roster they can achieve

I admit, I don't have much affection at all for the post PS1 additions, but at this point, whatever. Let everyone be happy.

is that what I want! I don't have any complaints for the roster if we end getting at least Nina, but if they make this a celebration of everything Crash, the better for everyone! No arguing for a particular era ~

Looking at the NK characters all lined up like that... the designers had some kind of thing for underbites and big protruding lower lips. Both Velos, Zam, Zem, Krunk, Big Norm, even Geary to an extent. That orc aesthetic is working overtime.

I wonder if that's why I found the alien designs to be pretty underwhelming as a follow up to Oxide.
Nitro Kart characters were designed by Charles Zembillas! Just like the original PS1 trilogy and CTR ^^'

Status
Not open for further replies.