• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this game doesn't have a ranked system online then I can't wait to see theads soon after release.

I'm actually curious if there will be a ranked mode with no items on (or making the only item Turbo Boosts), it's great that you can chain bost your way up to Sacred Fire in this game again. But what's the point in a reserve system if one Clock or Warp Orb is immediately going to eat it all up?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone think there are going to be extremely two distinct tiers of racers in this game? Meaning those who zoom around crazy tracks like in the demo videos, and casuals who trot along Mario Kart style on easier tracks? Cause watching the long streams yesterday, I realized that because of the redundancy in tracks from CNK and CTR, there are quite a few simple yet beautiful tracks casuals can stay on (Crash Cove, Inferno Island, Coco Park, Roo's Tubes).

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The simpler tracks will always be my favourite because those are where my favourite (Dingodile) shines on.

Last edited:

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I got the new Sonic Racing yesterday and the game runs at 60 fps on X. I expect CTR to be the better game but it'll be very hard to go back to 30 fps.

I'm so disappointed. It really kills my hype for the game.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'll be comparing this with the original game, and by that, Nitro-Fueled is a gigantic upgrade including the framerate which was inconsistent on PS1 and even lower then 30fps. It was the very same discussion on N. Sane Trilogy, as long the game plays as intended, the framerate is just a detail to get used with.

I even often forget N. Sane Trilogy runs at 30fps

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they'll start showing the Switch version soon though, it's always a bit a bit sketchy when devs wait with showing off the Switch port. People out here complaining about 30fps while I'm still nervous about if the game will even run at a stable 30fps in the first place.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I got the new Sonic Racing yesterday and the game runs at 60 fps on X. I expect CTR to be the better game but it'll be very hard to go back to 30 fps.

I'm so disappointed. It really kills my hype for the game.

Have you played either the Crash or Spyro remake trilogies on console? If so, what did you think of the frame rate of those?

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I hope they'll start showing the Switch version soon though, it's always a bit a bit sketchy when devs wait with showing off the Switch port. People out here complaining about 30fps while I'm still nervous about if the game will even run at a stable 30fps in the first place.
In this particular case it's because Sony is handling some of the marketing of Nitro-Fueled, due the exclusive content. They never show the Xbox One version either, so I don't think there's anything supscious about that; especially when they already released screenshots for the Switch version as well ~

But with Team Sonic Racing I thought was really desonest of SEGA's part hiding that the Switch version runs at 30fps (and they didn't even had any partnership with any of the householders like Activision); If wasn't for leaks and the post review coverage, we wouldn't even know about that (only assuming that would be the case without any confirmation). On Sonic Forces case they were at least transparent from the get-go..

Makes me appreciate the minimum info that Activision shared on the Switch version at some extent;

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Fan names for mechanics in the boosting in the game.

Reserves refers to preserving your boost from moment to moment through chaining the mechanics together, so when you boost again before the first one ends, they stack and you basically get further towards maximum boost and the amount of time before it wears off will increase because of the way the game stores speed. You have boosts "in reserve" I guess is the name logic.

USF is 'ultimate sacred fire' is when the flames on the back of the kart are at maximum, indicating the fastest possible boost speed. I don't know where the names come from and I've always hated them. Saffi fire is another one. Call me a no fun stick in the mud but I've always found the naming scheme people use kind of... lame. It's been around since as long as I've been following the online Crash community, so early 2000s at the least.

EDIT: that video probably does a better job of explaining the intricacies of what technique is which.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Fan names for mechanics in the boosting in the game.

Reserves refers to preserving your boost from moment to moment through chaining the mechanics together, so when you boost again before the first one ends, they stack and you basically get further towards maximum boost and the amount of time before it wears off will increase because of the way the game stores speed. You have boosts "in reserve" I guess is the name logic.

USF is 'ultimate sacred fire' is when the flames on the back of the kart are at maximum, indicating the fastest possible boost speed. I don't know where the names come from and I've always hated them. Saffi fire is another one. Call me a no fun stick in the mud but I've always found the naming scheme people use kind of... lame. It's been around since as long as I've been following the online Crash community, so early 2000s at the least.

EDIT: that video probably does a better job of explaining the intricacies of what technique is which.
The weirdest thing is that I wasn't even aware of these fan naming mechanics existing up until the remake was announced. I don't think our old Crash forums even discussed it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I know the original was 30fps but its a deal-breaker for me on the remake.

There's no way I can go back to that after MK8.

...ughhh I'll probably still buy it but whyyyyyyyyyy

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Dude!
That first run through Polar Pass was crazy.
Serving some real USF at last.
Beenox has done an great job with all this stuff.
i am surprised that you are surprised. Everything on that video is very basic CTR. I mean sure it could impress you if you are coming from kid oriented titles such as Mario. You should check actually high skilled players of CTR

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The weirdest thing is that I wasn't even aware of these fan naming mechanics existing up until the remake was announced. I don't think our old Crash forums even discussed it.

I wasn't aware of them either, although I was never a part of any Crash forums. Never knew just how (perhaps unintentionally) mechanically complex CTR could get. Now I will hold this information over all my friends as they are flabbergasted at my speed and decry Dingodile as being "legit broke af"

I know the original was 30fps but its a deal-breaker for me on the remake.

There's no way I can go back to that after MK8.

You probably can though. I prefer 60fps to 30 for sure, but it doesn't take me too long to adjust as long as it's stable.

Oct 27, 2017
i am surprised that you are surprised. Everything on that video is very basic CTR. I mean sure it could impress you if you are coming from kid oriented titles such as Mario. You should check actually high skilled players of CTR
Calling Mario kid oriented while implying Crash isn't is hilarious. What makes Crash so adult oriented?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

The moment you have to start using terms like "USF" and "reserves" to describe the techniques a person is using in a kart racer, you've left the realms of "basic" gameplay far, far behind.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just call the mechanic chain boosting. :)

I hope the game shows off this mechanic in full in the game. Not some easily missed line of text on the loading screen but actually show you that you can chain your boosts together by drifting, jumping off ledges and using boost pads one after the other to keep your speed up. That way, each bit of boost stacks and you can zoom around the track with little downtime.

It's really not that hard to explain. I feel terms like USF and Sacred Fire make the mechanics seems more mysterious than they should be.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Let's just call the mechanic chain boosting. :)

I hope the game shows off this mechanic in full in the game. Not some easily missed line of text on the loading screen but actually show you that you can chain your boosts together by drifting, jumping off ledges and using boost pads one after the other to keep your speed up. That way, each bit of boost stacks and you can zoom around the track with little downtime.

It's really not that hard to explain. I feel terms like USF and Sacred Fire make the mechanics seems more mysterious than they should be.
it would be nice if the devs added in a tutorial explaining the boosting mechanics

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I have to admit, I'm the worst at drifting in any Kart game.. CTR is actually one of the few games that I can pull off most of the time, and that was because the game basically requires me to do so, if I don't want to lose. But in Mario Kart, for example? I sadly got way too used to play with Gyro Controls in Mario Kart Wii, so in 8 I couldn't adapt myself back to traditional buttons.. and that means little to absolute no drifting (didn't preventing me of getting 100% in the game tho)

I can picture myself doing terrible online in Nitro-Fueled, if the skill level is that high

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, first of all, I just noticed I quoted the wrong person and video. I meant to quote this one instead so I kind of understand your "lol you impressed by that?" comment.

Second, I wasn't surprised at the mechanics per se. I was surprised at the fact that we finally have actual footage of some high skill level play taking advantage of said mechanics, mechanics that Beenox seems to have replicated pretty accurately. You know, those little details that often miss the mark when devs try to remake all games.

Third, I mastered all those 15 years ago and was pretty good at it so no, I don't need to watch videos. I already know what CTR high level play looks like.

And fourth, "kid oriented titles such as Mario" Really?
You're not exactly playing Forza, Project Cars or Driveclub when it comes to Crash so please spare me your dudebro bullshit next time.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

You know this is a game about an orange cartoon bandicoot and his animal friends and enemies entering a kart tournament to defeat an alien invasion, right?

Hage

Mar 15, 2018
Has this been posted?

Some genuinely high-skill play, showing off the reserves system and what appears to be the new USF system. Looks plenty fast, to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if the high speed of the gameplay combined with using Alchemy as the engine and the limitations of current gen hardware had something to do with the decision to cap the framerate at 30. A 16ms frame target is a tough ask if you start to bump up against the physical limits of how fast you can get data off the hard drive, after all.

Finally, a video showing someone who knows what they are doing.
Looks glorious!

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
For real. I want to see the prettiness. There's a screen of the super turbo tunnel in N Gin. labs that has me salivating.

This one:

latest

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Just regurgitating what I've seen/heard, but people have observed that not only is USF even faster than it was in the original game, but you can freely boost during it too now, whereas in the original game you had to stop yourself from performing new boosts or else that boost would replace your USF. Seems like a neat risk reward, USF is a lot easier to get but it's also a lot more uncontrollable, it's going to make maintaining it consistently a lot harder and maybe even give an incentive for people to use handling characters.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For real. I want to see the prettiness. There's a screen of the super turbo tunnel in N Gin. labs that has me salivating.

This one:

latest
Just looked up the original to compare. Yeah it would be cool if the visuals made it it look like you were hurtled through some mass accelerator.

Also gives me hope for the final level with the teleporters. Some cool flashy Mass Effect or stretching effects during jumps would be awesome.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Just regurgitating what I've seen/heard, but people have observed that not only is USF even faster than it was in the original game, but you can freely boost during it too now, whereas in the original game you had to stop yourself from performing new boosts or else that boost would replace your USF. Seems like a neat risk reward, USF is a lot easier to get but it's also a lot more uncontrollable, it's going to make maintaining it consistently a lot harder and maybe even give an incentive for people to use handling characters.
Makes me wonder if USF speed is still the same for every character. If so then yeah that makes beginner characters even more appealing for tracks with USF. (which, going by Polar Pass, we'll probably have more than what the original had.)

I'm a bit concerned if they really nerfed the acceleration characters going by the in-game stats, but I'm hoping those aren't accurate like the original weren't.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Weren't acceleration characters really good though? Like balanced well enough that they were typically the characters used by speed-runners?

I'm still hoping that post release they can update the game to add an engine selection so that your visuals don't in any way dictate your stats. Otherwise I imagine I'll just be playing a lot of Dingodile again.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't acceleration characters really good though? Like balanced well enough that they were typically the characters used by speed-runners?
Mhm, though afaik speed characters have been gaining steam for any% going by the video explaining the tech posted earlier. I checked the leaderboards the other day afterwards and the 3rd best time was with Dingodile from this month.

I wouldn't like them to be nerfed to be slower than all arounders, because if the stats are accurate then their handling is still not good as well. All-rounders come across as realllly good if they're accurate, on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.