• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Willie is unironically my favorite CTTR character. I would love to race as him. Koala Kong is a jobber that brings nothing to the table besides being another weird dumb strong monster thing. I think there's a reason most of the other games featured Tiny and forgot about Kong. >:D

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Well, I guess I've accidentally discovered the unofficial Willie Wumpa Cheeks fan club.

tenor.gif

Okay!

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
so some one pointed this out but there is some intresting wording in the press release

Gem Cups: Once you've obtained four CTR Tokens of the same color, expect a weird and wonderful warp vortex to appear; transporting you to series of (usually) four races. Beat all opponents to unlock some extra-special rewards!

like is there gonna be more gem cups cause all the ones in CTR are 4 tracks long

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
One odd little change a friend of mine picked up was the changing of the word "slaves" to "minions" in Oxide's opening speech.

Not something that worries me, but it's an interesting change. I guess some developers consider that word a bit too loaded now?
It's weird considering they kept it on the N'Sane Trilogy. Maybe since Uka Uka talked about "enslaving" and didn't specifically mention slaves, but who knows.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so some one pointed this out but there is some intresting wording in the press release

like is there gonna be more gem cups cause all the ones in CTR are 4 tracks long
I'm totally expecting adventure mode to be expanded with the Nitro Kart tracks which would include new gem cups that include them.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's weird considering they kept it on the N'Sane Trilogy. Maybe since Uka Uka talked about "enslaving" and didn't specifically mention slaves, but who knows.

I doubt it was a mandated change so much as a writer just thinking "Y'know, we can do without this."

To be honest, I only really dislike it because the new word choice doesn't work as well. "Minion" to me suggests someone you employ rather than enslave. Maybe "servant" would've been a better choice.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
RE: the "Slave" vs "Minions" thing, I knew some people who worked on the Crash games in the 2000s and they would tell me pretty often that they would have to make the stupidest changes here and there to appease the ESRB to ensure that E10. For a while one of the Titans games kept getting told they were gonna be hitting the Teen rating. I remember being told it was for the littlest dumb stuff and then other, completely actually offensive things would slide right through. My bet's on that being the reasoning because the Acti remakes usually strive for 1:1 parity on the dialogue so far unless it's overt.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really curious why Glacier Park and Dragon Mines were the only things from the original CTR not shown in any capacity at all. Despite the menu only listing Komodo Joe as a boss in the adventure mode showcase, I still can't help but feel like it's all pointing to Moe, or could be a coincidence.

Ideally he'd be a boss along Joe and that menu text is to hide him. There's also that old Spyro tweet from December about the droid "making it to Glacier Park" initially hinting to CTR remake, but I'm pretty sure he's in anyway and that Glacier Park in-game doesn't really have anything to do with him and isn't possibly hidden cuz of him.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
So ps4 will have exclusive skins and a exclusive racing course, deciding which system to get it for.
Yeah, the 3 retro skins and the retro track. We still have no idea what the retro track is though so you might wanna wait till they show footage of that before deciding if you're eyeballing getting it on a different console. For all we know the retro could just be a retro skin for a existing track, which imo would not make it that big of a priority.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Yeah, the 3 retro skins and the retro track. We still have no idea what the retro track is though so you might wanna wait till they show footage of that before deciding if you're eyeballing getting it on a different console. For all we know the retro could just be a retro skin for a existing track, which imo would not make it that big of a priority.
Sounds like a plan thanks.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I'm still really curious why Glacier Park and Dragon Mines were the only things from the original CTR not shown in any capacity at all. Despite the menu only listing Komodo Joe as a boss in the adventure mode showcase, I still can't help but feel like it's all pointing to Moe, or could be a coincidence.

Ideally he'd be a boss along Joe and that menu text is to hide him. There's also that old Spyro tweet from December about the droid "making it to Glacier Park" initially hinting to CTR remake, but I'm pretty sure he's in anyway and that Glacier Park in-game doesn't really have anything to do with him and isn't possibly hidden cuz of him.
If you wanna get into the Spyro conspiracy theory, there's a whole breakdown over on Reddit.

If you think about it though, you would need a lot of valets for a planet-sized parking lot.
Exactly >:D

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017

I would doubt they added more since the map shown in the adventure showing still shows the 5 entry points to the gem cups.

hEFHik0.png

It is really particular how they worded that though. Perhaps they have turned the Purple Gem Cup into something more unique, as the only gimmick in the original was that you were racing the bosses on the boss tracks that were already present in the other cups. Wouldn't know what the new gimmick would be though, maybe they'll just add Oxide Station as a fifth race because it's also a boss track. Hard to guess on that line alone, though them putting usually in brackets definitely seems like they're teasing something.

(Trying to keep any hope for a CNK expanded adventure mode at zero, though ever since I saw that crashed Oxide spaceship on the remade Inferno Island I can't help but envision a epilogue to CTR's adventure where Oxide escape is the cause of Velo getting involved and CNK's adventure to happen. There's been zero proof in any of the footage for something like that happening though so zero reason to unnecessarily hype myself up for that.)

D7B5HGqU8AEVmQj.jpg

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
If you wanna get into the Spyro conspiracy theory, there's a whole breakdown over on Reddit.

As a Crash and a Spyro fan, if they make a track from the original game Spyro themed I'm gonna get heated. If he's in give him his own damn track and don't shoehorn him into Komodo Joe's. That will actually irritate me as a fan and I'm pretty difficult to get to that point.

I can't help but envision a epilogue to CTR's adventure where Oxide escape is the cause of Velo getting involved and CNK's adventure to happen.

That's already the story of CNK. Original CNK has Velo saying "News of your racing prowess has reached my glorious empire" and then the camera pans to Oxide, who cackles at you. They literally don't have to do any new dialogue or clarification to make it work. Plus, Oxide's ship was already visible in one of the Terra Hub's tracks in the original game. They've just moved it to Inferno Island and made it way more obvious and in your face. If anything, that lends MORE credence to the idea, imo lol.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
That's already the story of CNK. Original CNK has Velo saying "News of your racing prowess has reached my glorious empire" and then the camera pans to Oxide, who cackles at you. They literally don't have to do any new dialogue or clarification to make it work. Plus, Oxide's ship was already visible in one of the Terra Hub's tracks in the original game. They've just moved it to Inferno Island and made it way more obvious and in your face. If anything, that lends MORE credence to the idea, imo lol.
Hm interesting. I guess I never really looked into the story of CNK that much because lol racing aliens, but looking at that opening cutscene again, CNK is definitely set up as a direct sequel to the story. Weird how I never really picked up on that in the few dozen of times I played through that game. What's actually really weird is me not knowing about Oxide's ship being in one of the CNK levels tho, that definitely sounds like something I should've instantly noticed.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Hm interesting. I guess I never really looked into the story of CNK that much because lol racing aliens, but looking at that opening cutscene again, CNK is definitely set up as a direct sequel to the story. Weird how I never really picked up on that in the few dozen of times I played through that game. What's actually really weird is me not knowing about Oxide's ship being in one of the CNK levels tho, that definitely sounds like something I should've instantly noticed.

Off the top of my head I think it's Tiny Temple (or whatever that track is called) and it's on top of one of the ruins. But it being in Inferno Island and freshly crashed now seems really deliberate in my opinion :V

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this has already been discussed, but it looks like the boosting UI has had an overhaul:

http:///GGwd.gif

This is the first time I've noticed the smaller, vertical meter too, which seems to measure hangtime?
One of the small additions I'm thoroughly impressed with. This is the kind of thing they never had to add but they have and it's a really good design decision. Really helpful to players. They're going above and beyond.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I would doubt they added more since the map shown in the adventure showing still shows the 5 entry points to the gem cups.

hEFHik0.png

It is really particular how they worded that though. Perhaps they have turned the Purple Gem Cup into something more unique, as the only gimmick in the original was that you were racing the bosses on the boss tracks that were already present in the other cups. Wouldn't know what the new gimmick would be though, maybe they'll just add Oxide Station as a fifth race because it's also a boss track. Hard to guess on that line alone, though them putting usually in brackets definitely seems like they're teasing something.

(Trying to keep any hope for a CNK expanded adventure mode at zero, though ever since I saw that crashed Oxide spaceship on the remade Inferno Island I can't help but envision a epilogue to CTR's adventure where Oxide escape is the cause of Velo getting involved and CNK's adventure to happen. There's been zero proof in any of the footage for something like that happening though so zero reason to unnecessarily hype myself up for that.)

D7B5HGqU8AEVmQj.jpg
I mean obviously part of his ship will destroy a wall and make way to a teleporter

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i really appreciate them not having all characters unlocked and having to unlock them one by one. that's one thing i didn't like about MK8D.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Most of the cutscenes from CNK show team Bandicoot or team Cortex working as a group, depending on which team you picked. Maybe not an effective group, but they're clearly allied. Like if you pick team Cortex after the intro then every cutscene afterwards will just be Neo, N. Gin and Tiny; so not any of the bandicoots. I think people are primarily focusing on how the CNK tracks don't have the anti-grav element anymore, but they also don't have the team racing element either, where sticking close to your teammate provides benefits and only one of you actually has to come in first place.

So if Beenox wanted to add CNK adventure mode then they would probably have to redo large portions of the cinematics to account for it not being team-based anymore. Which is a huge ask, IMO.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Most of the cutscenes from CNK show team Bandicoot or team Cortex working as a group, depending on which team you picked. Maybe not an effective group, but they're clearly allied. Like if you pick team Cortex after the intro then every cutscene afterwards will just be Neo, N. Gin and Tiny; so not any of the bandicoots. I think people are primarily focusing on how the CNK tracks don't have the anti-grav element anymore, but they also don't have the team racing element either, where sticking close to your teammate provides benefits and only one of you actually has to come in first place.

So if Beenox wanted to add CNK adventure mode then they would probably have to redo large portions of the cinematics to account for it not being team-based anymore. Which is a huge ask, IMO.

The team mechanic in CNK is largely unnecessary and can easily be glossed over. They're reanimating cutscenes from the ground up anyways, I don't see what the difference really is in making them more individual focused over team focused. Not to mention that all of CNK's cutscenes take place in one location instead of several, as well. If you've seen the Ripper Roo cutscenes from the other video, it'd be basically the same thing. Just insert the character being played as, and have Velo addressing them directly.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
The team mechanic in CNK is largely unnecessary and can easily be glossed over. They're reanimating cutscenes from the ground up anyways, I don't see what the difference really is in making them more individual focused over team focused. Not to mention that all of CNK's cutscenes take place in one location instead of several, as well. If you've seen the Ripper Roo cutscenes from the other video, it'd be basically the same thing. Just insert the character being played as, and have Velo addressing them directly.
no >:(

I'm joking, but I actually like the dopey interplay between the various characters. Like having, for example, Krunk say something and then seeing how each of team Cortex reacts differently to it.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
no >:(

I'm joking, but I actually like the dopey interplay between the various characters. Like having, for example, Krunk say something and then seeing how each of team Cortex reacts differently to it.

I don't have a super elegant solution to that if they're allowing you to play as anyone, like in the CTR story, but my immediate kneejerk is to have it split by the same Team setups as the original CNK. Do the cutscenes real time and have it switch which group you see based on who you are playing as. If you're Team Trance or Team Oxide or one of the CNK Bosses, you could (and this is just pipe dreaming at this point, if CNK's story is in I do think it'll be simplified more than this) have it so that you see Team Crash/Cortex's cutscenes but during gameplay you're racing "FOR" Velo and there could be a "Bad ending" where Velo wins as a result.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm not really counting with the whole CNK story and its cutscenes being included in Nitro-Fueled (would be amazing if was the case tho), but I do think that an oversimplified version could happen after you beat the main CTR campaing.. like, opening the HUBs from CNK and just having Aku Aku/Uka Uka explaining the stakes of winning Velo's challenge now.

Or, maybe they'll just open more areas with no lore explanation, just as a reward; so you drive through CNK tracks to earn more trophies, tokens and everything else

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Or, maybe they'll just open more areas with no lore explanation, just as a reward; so you drive through CNK tracks to earn more trophies, tokens and everything else
Honestly this is how I thought they would do it.
Have the CTR hub as we know it and then unlock the CNK tracks as you progress collecting gems, relics, tokens etc etc.
Not much of a story behind them, just "oh, a new area, we must win" sort of thing.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I realize I'm starting to broach the surface of being too picky and ungrateful but I'd rather they just be arcade mode rewards than have a phoned in text box version of the story I think lol

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll are getting in over your head hear with expectations. We'll probably get bonus CNK cups unlocked as that vague text implies from a new spot in the CTR hub at best. And that would be fine, a total CNK remaster is superfluous at this point. If the choice was between spending that dev budget on bringing the CNK tracks up to snuff, or redoing a story mode for CNK that no one really remembers faithfully to CNF, the former was the way to go.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The CNK tracks had some fun token challenges. A lot of the letters were pretty cleverly placed. That's all I really want.
Well, there's a pretty high likelihood the CTR challenge being available for CNK tracks regardless of them being in the Adventure mode or not because we already got a accidental sneak peak at the Local Arcade menu in one of the promotional streams and it includes CTR challenge there as a separate mode.

f7Qfnap.png

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SDbNr04.jpg

Oh look what I got to play this weekend at London MCM. (This pic was taken at the end of the day when they were packing up if you were curious).

This was one of the older builds, the one when Electron Avenue and Clockwork Wumpa were first shown, which I think was the second public build? You could chose from those courses, along with Papu Pyramid and Sewer Speedway. They also had a newer build on the big stage (It had Customisation in it) and were running Crash Cove and Tiger Temple time trials.

The basic idea was the split the queue into 2 groups of 8, the winner of those 2 races then go onto the main stage for a head-to-head lap time trial (In arcade mode, no time trial in the build they had), with the winner getting a Playstation Hat.

...Let's just say if anyone else was at MCM and saw a guy in a Spyro the Dragon kigurumi that was basically dominating the races as Pura... yeah, that was me. I think I did 20-30 sessions over the whole weekend, I practised the original on the vita in the queue, I came first in every race I was in and I set both the convention time trial records on both Crash Cove and Tiger Temple for the whole weekend (A 27:49 on Crash Cove and a 32:85 on Tiger Temple, I will say. When you make your time trial competition the fastest lap? You can bet I'm going to exploit all the game mechanics, including throwing the first lap entirely to let the AI get far ahead so I don't have to worry about their missiles and bombs, and I can basically chain Aku Masks for the fastest possible speed.)

But suffice to say, very satisfied with this. I had my PS Vita with CTR installed that I played in the queue to see how it compared, it's pretty close. Any differences I feel might have just been because of set-up differences with slight delay on the controller to the TV Screen. Eventually I adjusted and I was basically going about as fast as I could on the PS Vita as I could in Nitro Fueled (I was able to set a 26:79 on PS Vita Crash Cove as a best in comparison, so add to slight stage nerves the games basically line up.) All the main shortcuts seem to be there (The sewer jump obviously, Papu Papu's key ones including the giant cut around the final corner that the Oxide ghost does, that's back.

And the Crash Nitro Kart courses, which I wasn't as familiar with due to playing less Nitro Kart, also played like a charm as well. Electron Avenue in particular is a great showcase of how nuts you can go with the Reserves System. There's a lot of boost panels there that gives the white flames (You can see it well in that Coco video of Polar Pass that was uploaded a few days earlier.) Electron Avenue also has a lot of Super Boost Panel jumps to get it going, and with good usage of maximising your Drift Turbos to keep that boost going... well, you know how we had all those videos of press people completing Electron Avenue in 5 minutes Plus?

YLZK0pV.jpg

If you know the mechanics, you can go so much faster than that, my personal best with the weekend was a 4:04, a Sub-4 minutes run of Electron Avenue is certainly possible, that run probably would have done it if it wasn't for a N.Trophy Clock.

Other weird things of note that I guess won't be in the final version.
- There was the one time I got an Aku Aku Mask in first place.
- There was also that time I got a Warp Orb in first place (Yeah, I'll commit kamikaze, thanks)
- The only real bugs were some weird jump collision physics with certain slopes (Sewer Speedway had a bit, espicially in an answer I feel the Sewer Jump shortcut, hitting the wall and landing in a weird way pointing to the right, and sometime you lost all momentum landing in the weird bumps between Tiger Temple, these probably have already been fixed in later builds.)
- If you are really far ahead, the Warp Orbs actually give up chasing you eventually (This probably will be fixed, but in all honesty? I sorta wish it wasn't, if you are that far enough ahead already the Warp Orbs give up, it's not going to be actually change any positions at that point, so you should enjoy the clean race just for being that good).
- There was one weird T-Posing Polar in the lobby screen once. That was amusing. Most certainly will be fixed. Only saw it once all weekend.

And now to wait until the game comes out to play more... and it's actually a bit further beyond that for me because I'll be on holiday when the game releases and won't be back until July, ah, c'est la vie.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Papu Papu's key ones including the giant cut around the final corner that the Oxide ghost does, that's back.

Sweet, I love that one. I knew there was some signifier that it was there intentionally, but I forgot if it was a ghost or a relic race crate.

And nice job showing off the game's potential, lol. I'm very excited to check it out myself. I knew how to play the game well, stringing power slides and hitting shortcuts and all that, but I never studied the game in depth, so I actually had never heard of the reserve system before this year. Now I can't wait to take my game to the next level.

Still probably going to get crushed online.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
you see, I'm worried about online as everyone else, but unlike Mario Kart which I know I'll run out of things to do offline/single player pretty quickly, I think CTR has the best value when comes to playing alone; so if I see the online is not for me, that won't matter. Especially if they got so much unlockable content in form of all these customization items.. I'll be playing this for a long ass time without even touching online matches

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
A lot of online is just going to be for playing with my friends in private races anyway. I hope they have a lot of custom settings for private races. Infinite bombs. All turbo pads are super charged. The kind of stuff that used to be cheat codes.

At the very least, an item selection like in battle would be nice.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I distinctly remember seeing footage of the game and I was keeping a close eye on the map then saw 4-6 Blue orbs at one time. I really really hope the do not blow the item balance, that could be the one way left to ruin this glorious return.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I distinctly remember seeing footage of the game and I was keeping a close eye on the map then saw 4-6 Blue orbs at one time. I really really hope the do not blow the item balance, that could be the one way left to ruin this glorious return.

Yeah, item balance was already one of my only issues with the original (mostly in 4 player races). I'd hate to see it get somehow worse here. Especially clocks.

tenor.gif

Oh those CLOCKS

Status
Not open for further replies.