• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being confrontative, I'll preface with, but you seem to be letting your own preferences on the games, and the online hardcore contingent of the fan base, paint your picture of the series as a whole. Other than Twinsanity and Boom Bang on the DS, all the other Crash games maintained being over-a-million sellers. (And Twinsanity may have passed that line LTD by now.)

What killed Crash was Sierra/Vivendi merging into Activision, as Sierra had two Crash projects greenlit behind the scenes ready to come out in 2010 and 2011. I can't go into it in detail, but I had a close relationship to some people on the teams behind the last few games before the hiatus.

Activision killed those unreleased Crash games for reasons that are not as simple as "they didn't sell well" because for their budgets and scope, they did well. Just not COD or GH at its peak well. So obviously those metrics did come into play, but ask yourself why the games survived over a year into the merger before cancellation if that was the long and short of it. They didn't fund a game for 18 months they weren't intending on bringing to release at least at some point.

The full story on those cancellations may come out some day from someone else, but until it does I'm tight lipped on what little I do know.

This I've been hoping for since the N. Sane Trilogy showed small flashes of the idea... I am all for a "Straightening of the line" on canon. Take everything there is and bring it all in one unified style and line and go from there. N.Sane Trilogy uses some chunks of Radical's version of N.Brio for instance, and it works really well. I just want them to use NST's launching point to bring the other 20 years of Crash together and build from it, not start entirely over. Crunch definitely looks the best he's ever looked. If they can meet the two extremes in the middle (ND's utter lack of characterization in places and Radical's sometimes extreme over-the-top personalities) we'll be golden for years.

Claiming that the post-ND games have the stigma of bad smell to them is not preference. Whenever the topic of Crash comes up and those games are mentioned, there's a good chance a follow-up comment will appear talking about how those games suck (there's even a video on YouTube with 1.5m views talking about "Bad Crash Bandicoot games", that's been relatively poorly challenged if we go by the Like bar and docile comments). Critical commentary was equally harsh, with not a single game reaching an 80 on Metacritic at a time when reviewers were not as stringent as they are now. Finally, Crash faced declining sales post-ND to the point where, as you said, Twinsanity (one of the better games) struggled to reach 1m. As far as I'm concerned, that legacy should be kept to a minimum, certainly during a time while the series is starting to find its feet again.

Indeed, we only need to look at the reception to the NST to see where the nostalgia really lies: over 10m sales for a character in his prime three games. I think it's clear that people have fonder memories of Polar than Crunch, and Dingodile than Velo.

Also, you made the assumption that I disliked the post-ND games without any evidence. This is incorrect. I actually like the GBA duo and N. Trance is one of my favourite characters, while I view WoC and Twinsanity as decent games that don't do too much exciting, with the former in particular just being a poorer version of Crash 3. Anything post-Twinsanity is not really worth playing, and I say all this as a Crash fan, one of the few who were dedicated enough to the series to purchase Boom Bang when it released. However, if we're to objectively have a look at how Crash should move forward, we need to consider that it might be for the best that the post-ND, pre-NST epoch of Crash is left largely dormant for the time being, with them slowly reintroducing characters/tracks with updated designs in better games over a longer period. To clarify: this would mean someone could play the NST and then step into a "Crash 4" without having felt they missed something.

In response to your second point, I think we both agree on the general direction on that characters should be reintroduced and given a chance to shine in better games, but we differ on how to go about that. I'm more in favour of harder reset, whereas you seem to be more in favour of a softer reset. Perhaps that's because you have personal connections to the devs who worked on Crash post-ND and having someone suggest that their work be thrown out seems harsh, which is perfectly understandable. I think both viewpoints are acceptable, and it's interesting to see how they'll move forward. I simply don't want to see Crash fall into disarray again and become what Sonic is now - largely a joke amongst the wider community due to middling games and odd character designs. I doubt history will repeat itself because the money, talent and time seems to be there this time around, but you never know.

And OK, I accept that the merger played a major role in the hiatus, but what I said regarding Crash's fall from grace during that almost 20-year time period still stands.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
the trophy list has leaked, no roster hints from it but it does mention a hard difficulty for the adventure mode
Took a peak at it. Looks like there won't be any actually hard trophies on there except for the gold trophy for beating all of Oxide's Time Trials. No online trophies either which is nice.

At least it pretty much confirms that my ridiculous thought of a extended CNK adventure was as unrealistic as I already assumed it was. Back to just expecting Spyro for the E3 reveal.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
what is the exclusive Content in the ps4-version?
Retro skins for Crash, Coco and Cortex, a Retro kart and Retro Stadium, which is a duplicate of Turbo Track with a retro theme.
4HC6NoV.jpg

VPhFILD.jpg

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm guessing with Nintendo publishing the trailer for real this time, Sony strings are out for the marketing (what is left of, at least); So maybe CTR will appear in a sizzle reel during their Digital Event at E3.. maybe even at Microsoft's conference too.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if this has been asked, but will there be split-screen online? This is a dealbreaker for me since my wife and I want to play online together.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
huh must of missed that then, but yeah it's mostly standard stuff, they used "Booyah Grandma" and a trophy title again and there is one about unlocking all characters from the original roster

When the say unlocking all characters from the original roster, I wonder what that means for Penta. Technically Penta is part of the original roster, however Penta couldn't be unlocked under normal scenarios, you had to enter a cheat code to unlock Penta.

It's also questionable that there is a trophy for unlocking the original cast, but not one for the extended cast... hmm...

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm starting to feel the hype, the original is such a great game and it seems they did it justice and much more (that said I don't particularly care about any of the new characters since I haven't played Nitro Kart ect. and barely have any context for them and most likely won't have via this game but hey, new tracks I'm all in for!). Sadly I'm currently stuck on my mobile net and using it as a hotspot for PS4 results in not optimal latency so I'll prolly won't be able to play online too much anytime soon which is bummin me out, I'd probably get hooked on the multiplayer.

Just for the love of god include N.Brio. Like, how can you not have him, he is a major character in the first two games. It's the one thing that has been annoying me ever since the original. I mean, I guess it's cause Cortex and N.Gin kinda fit the same mad scientist stereotype but c'mon, we are about to have 4 playable bandicoots. JUST DO IT!

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took a peak at it. Looks like there won't be any actually hard trophies on there except for the gold trophy for beating all of Oxide's Time Trials. No online trophies either which is nice.

At least it pretty much confirms that my ridiculous thought of a extended CNK adventure was as unrealistic as I already assumed it was. Back to just expecting Spyro for the E3 reveal.
Oof, I'm not looking forward to that.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
How about Japanese Crash for DLC? Doesn't look like the hardest skin to create...
How else can one be kawaii during online races without it?

BQTJsMP.png

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
How about Japanese Crash for DLC? Doesn't look like the hardest skin to create...
How else can one be kawaii during online races without it?

BQTJsMP.png
Since they're pulling skins from Tag Team Racing, the idea of a Japanese Crash skin is not that absurd;

hqdefault.jpg

That was the only game, in fact, that had his JPN counterpart available as in-game model (other than Boom Bang, naturally, being a japenese developed game and in the Title Screen of the original CTR in Japan)

I just have to wonder if we've seen all skins for Crash, specifically, since they showed a bunch of him already.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Since they're pulling skins from Tag Team Racing, the idea of a Japanese Crash skin is not that absurd;

hqdefault.jpg

That was the only game, in fact, that had his JPN counterpart available as in-game model (other than Boom Bang, naturally, being a japenese developed game and in the Title Screen of the original CTR in Japan)

I just have to wonder if we've seen all skins for Crash, specifically, since they showed a bunch of him already.
Interesting... You learn something new everyday. Thanks for that!
Wasn't aware since I've only ever played the original CTR, I'm guessing the chances of it happening aren't zero after all.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
So, if we're getting Spyro and potentially Fake Velo after all, that means we're filling a line of 3 characters (with Penta) of 5 in the character select screen we've seen last time.. You guys think we're getting two more before launch? I'm guessing Nina and Brio at best..

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I only ever really beat Oxide ghosts once 10 years ago, and I'm doing them again (without Penta this time, going Pinstripe most tracks) out of anticipation and I'm much rustier than I used to be when I did time trials, and they're a LOT easier than I thought they'd be. Heck the requirement to unlock Tropy's ghost in Oxide Station is a faster time than Oxide's ghost in it. As long as you're good at reserving your boosts you'd actually find yourself first trying a lot of tracks. (or retry a lot whenever you mess up something lol) Maybe I shouldn't speak as I had past experience of playing this game seriously and all that muscle memory still lingers, but I don't think the trophy is gonna be too bad to get.

Except Cortex Castle's Oxide. Fuck that track and fuck that Oxide ghost.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, Slide Coliseum is kicking my ass LOL. Oxide actually making jumps I completely forgot you could do in there. Pinstripe seems tough in this one.
EDIT2: Nvm, stopped restarting too soon and found Oxide's ghost absolutely crumbles after the first lap in that one lol.

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
E3 interviews don't necessarily mean more announcements. Most of the time it's dev or PR interviews rehashing already announced material and fielding a few softball questions.

The only part of that link that mentions E3 announcements is under the Following Activision Games Blog at E3 heading.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
E3 interviews don't necessarily mean more announcements. Most of the time it's dev or PR interviews rehashing already announced material and fielding a few softball questions.

The only part of that link that mentions E3 announcements is under the Following Activision Games Blog at E3 heading.

For what it's worth, the final livestream is timed to Thursday at 2:00pm EST, which is one of the couple of timeslots that they frequently use for big CTR posts.

NST had a "one more thing" big announcement at E3 in 2017, as well, which was not previously announced.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Found the game at 20€, I couldn't pass up the opportunity even with the avalanche of games coming soon.

Looking forward to it !

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Here's what it looks like when somebody skilled is playing.

Most footage is of people playing slowly. There's not a speed setting like in Mario Kart. You can go very fast, but you have to earn it through skillful play.
Ok not bad actually. Do we know how boxes are randomized ? Is it like mario kart where last place gets the best and first gets the worst or totally random ?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Ok not bad actually. Do we know how boxes are randomized ? Is it like mario kart where last place gets the best and first gets the worst or totally random ?

Yeah, there's definitely a weight to your position. First place in the original never gets the most powerful items like Warp Orbs (would be pointless as it targets 1st place), N. Tropy Clocks or Masks. In past demos of Nitro Fueled it seemed like powerful items were given out more frequently than in the original, but the game is constantly being tuned, so it's hard to say how the final weighted randomization will look.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's like Mario kart. Generally first just gets things like TnT/Nitro boxes and beakers (basically bananas from Mario Kart) with the occasional boost while the further back you are you'll get stuff like homing missiles (red shell), invincibility mask (star), warp orb (blue shell), and so on.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's like Mario Kart, but generally with less broken items. If you're good at the game, you'll be able to use the items to do a comeback, if you're bad, there won't be a Bullet Bill to save you.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It looks soo slow.... I hope im wrong.

As someone who has played the demo of the game, don't worry. It's plenty fast enough when you know what your doing with the reserve system.

The times you can do mastering your powerslides versus those that don't is... well
YLZK0pV.jpg

It's quite staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.