• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
So catch me up, CTR vets, did different characters have different stats or just different karts in the original?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's stupid. If a game which I worked on almost 20 years ago got re-released with enhancements and for all platforms, I would be happy and proud because more people would enjoy it.

The console biases don't just affect consumers. I see a lot of it in the industry too.

PC elitism is probably the most common, but I've certainly heard people talk about how they resent working on the platform that they're making a game for.

Ultimately, platforms to release a game onto is a top-down decision that not everyone will be on board with.

I can see why seeing Crash on other platforms feels unusual. A lot of people saw Crash as the Playstation mascot. It's perhaps a little different than say, having a typical exclusive. They likely like the Playstation brand quite a bit, and feel as though they're losing part of that by having the exclusive series move to other platforms.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I wonder if Switch version gonna support single joycon support.If it does gonna have double dip with PS4 version(of course gonna be best version with biggest community) and switch for lolz and local coop

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Switch version gonna support single joycon support.If it does gonna have double dip with PS4 version(of course gonna be best version with biggest community) and switch for lolz and local coop
The community on PlayStation is definitely where it will be most popular. Just look at the speed running community. Most of it is on PlayStation because that's where they spent months grinding for better times.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This has to be 60 fps on Switch. It just has to be. If it isn't then MK8D is going to wipe the floor with it. I'll buy on Switch if it's 60 fps. My GF and I are insanely excited for it but I'll be buying on PS4 if it's 30 on Switch.
It's very possible (likely, even) that it won't be 60 fps even on the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Spyro is confirmed as playable racer.

Glacier Park is 3rd hub on Crash Team Racing where you fight with Komodo Joe snowy area.
Pretty hyped

DtwsJZUW4AAeKXD.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
lol

Nice if true!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about this along with Mario for the Switch version and Banjo for the Xbox version, but it could hinder crossplay being potentially supported and that's why I said third party characters.

Unless they could be added but they're prohibited from online play if crossplay is enabled by the user.
And Banjo for Xbox version, shit why not?

Wow. Banjo and Mario would be great. I honestly didn't think of that but yea, that would be dope. A big reason I wanted Jak and Daxter tho is because they are ND made characters, so it would be pretty cool to see them in a "old" Naughtydog game :).

As for Mario/Banjo/Jak inhibited crossplay, that's a good point. Maybe they could do something like what Rocket League does and change Banjo/Mario to a generic racer/kart driver depending on what console your on?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Spyro is confirmed as playable racer.

Glacier Park is 3rd hub on Crash Team Racing where you fight with Komodo Joe snowy area.
Pretty hyped

DtwsJZUW4AAeKXD.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

this tweet is from before the announcement, i think they just wanted to tease the game (i'm sure the same team runs crash and spyro's twitter accounts). personally i hope he's not in the game.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about this along with Mario for the Switch version and Banjo for the Xbox version, but it could hinder crossplay being potentially supported and that's why I said third party characters.

Unless they could be added but they're prohibited from online play if crossplay is enabled by the user.
Not really.
The Samus, Mario and Luigi car skins in Rocket League are only available on the Switch version and they are replaced by a default one available for all platforms it has cross play with when you're playing online.

They could theoretically do the same for this game. Make Mario exclusive to Switch version, Banjo to Xbox but replace them by default Crash if you're racing online against someone using a platform exclusive character.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
They are not gonna do neither cross play or platform exclusive skins. Its crash game baby. Also lol at Xbox and Nintendo getting exclusive characters when PS4 has lead marketing

Deleted member 37701

User-requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
maybe a nintendo direct? crash trilogy was announced for switch in a nintendo direct, then we found out it's also coming to pc/xbo. i think it's likely they'll announce the switch version in the january direct, then announce the pc version at the same time.
I think so, to be honest. Maybe not January but February as late.

Bobinator

Oct 25, 2017
So why exactly are people so against Spyro being in the game? I mean, it's literally just one character, it's not gonna ruin anything. Besides, I feel like if you're into Crash, there's probably like a 90% chance you're into Spyro, too.

cosmopath

Dec 6, 2018
So ridiculously excited for this. Still have a physical copy of the original on PSX.

Now to decide whether to get it on Switch or PS4...

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
If they could get Jak and Daxter as guest characters for the PS4 version that would be amazing :).

Oh god imagine Jak, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank as playable characters. That'd be something.

Edit: Spyro would be cool too for fans of Spyro. I think that's the most likely character to appear in the game anyway.

Last edited:

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
they may fully own the game, but they still don't own the crash IP, so even if they wanted to put it on ps classic they still needed activision's permission, and now that we know about this remake, it's obvious that activision wouldn't have allowed it.
that's the thing with games with licensed characters in them. even if you fully own the game you're still not allowed to do whatever you want with it. in 20 years if sony wants to do something with the spider man game they made, they would need marvel's permission.

there's this super cringey reaction from a former ND employee.
imagemsdgr.jpeg
Thank you for that, and honestly?. I can see where he's coming from, If I remember correctly ND's original reasoning for coming up with Crash in the first place was to create a Playstation mascot. That was their pitch all along, there's the infamous ads with the guy in the Crash suit outside of Nintendo's HQ as proof of that.

Oct 26, 2017
so i guess the switch version isn't being done by beenox. they're mentioned by name on the covers of the ps4 and xbo versions, but not the switch one. for the n-sane trilogy it was something similar, vicarious visions' name was on the cover of the ps4/xbo versions but not the switch one because that port was done by toys for bob. i wonder who's doing the switch port?

screenshot2018-12-07atxfq7.jpg

just teasing the announcement? they're both activision IPs and the social media accounts are most likely run by the same team.

Very possible the Switch version is being done by another dev, which is a tad odd only because Beenox is VERY familiar with Nintendo systems and even did all their Skylanders games only on Nintendo systems (Swap Force Wii and Superchargers Racing on Wii and 3DS).

It's not impossible that Toys For Bob is on it again since they did trilogy on Switch, plus they can reuse their assets from it like character models and whatnot.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the thread bump but, there's a new screenshot that's not on the Activision Press site, officially posted by the Crash Bandicoot account

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I just realised unless TLOU2 or Death Stranding comes out, CTR will be the only game I buy at launch over the next 8 months. Which is good because I have spiderman deluxe, RDR2 and a ton of games I bought cheap on the recent sales to get through.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very possible (likely, even) that it won't be 60 fps even on the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

If this is true then it's complete bullshit. I expected it to target 60fps on the base consoles nevermind the Pro and X lol...

I think the fact that it's coming to Switch at all suggests it's 60fps on the standard PS4 and XB1 considering that most current gen Switch ports from those consoles are 60fps on them as halfing the framerate for Switch is a great way to free up render time and actually have a shot at getting a Switch port running well.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true then it's complete bullshit. I expected it to target 60fps on the base consoles nevermind the Pro and X lol...

I think the fact that it's coming to Switch at all suggests it's 60fps on the standard PS4 and XB1 considering that most current gen Switch ports from those consoles are 60fps on them as halfing the framerate for Switch is a great way to free up render time and actually have a shot at getting a Switch port running well.
Switch or not that didn't stop the Crash Trilogy from being 30fps on every console it came out for.

CTR being 60fps would be ideal. I'm sure all consoles (Switch included) wouldn't have any problem running the game at 60fps but I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to 30 just for the sake of being "faithful" to the source game.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Love what the did to Cortex Castle.
Reminds me a bit of the current version of Bowser's Castle in Kart 8, which is a really good thing.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The console biases don't just affect consumers. I see a lot of it in the industry too.

PC elitism is probably the most common, but I've certainly heard people talk about how they resent working on the platform that they're making a game for.

Ultimately, platforms to release a game onto is a top-down decision that not everyone will be on board with.

I can see why seeing Crash on other platforms feels unusual. A lot of people saw Crash as the Playstation mascot. It's perhaps a little different than say, having a typical exclusive. They likely like the Playstation brand quite a bit, and feel as though they're losing part of that by having the exclusive series move to other platforms.
Every Crash racing game after the first one was multiplatform so I don't find this odd, hell Crash has almost the same amount of games on Nintendo platform than Sony (11 vs 14 iirc)

Oct 26, 2017
Every Crash racing game after the first one was multiplatform so I don't find this odd, hell Crash has almost the same amount of games on Nintendo platform than Sony (11 vs 14 iirc)

Don't forget some were even Nintendo-exclusive:

- Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (GBA)
- Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced (GBA)
- Crash Bandicoot Purple/Spyro Orange (GBA)
- Crash Boom Bang! (DS)

Also funny thing was that Crash of the Titans had its reveal be leaked/world first in a Nintendo magazine, so briefly all it was known to come out for was Wii, DS, and GBA. Actually I think Titans was even leaked first as Crash Jackin' 07 on Wii websites. That's where I remember seeing it at least. :P

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Got mine preordered. This looks fantastic. CTR is easily in my top 5 kart racers list.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I think people still often see it as a Playstation brand.

I'm not saying I care that it's not exclusive, just explaining why people tend to feel the way they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.