• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
LMAO so they did the Penguin Yay stuff. Love these little callbacks, it shows they care (as if it wasn't obvious by now).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's what it looks like when somebody skilled is playing.

I played the demo at gamestop, and I have no idea how you drift successfully in this game. How do stay on the track? How do you gain speed? How do you gain so much air?

I've played the original, but I never drifted. I didn't even know drifting was a thing in racing games until Mario Kart Double Dash.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I played the demo at gamestop, and I have no idea how you drift successfully in this game. How do stay on the track? How do you gain speed? How do you gain so much air?

I've played the original, but I never drifted. I didn't even know drifting was a thing in racing games until Mario Kart Double Dash.

You hop with either bumper button while turning to start a drift, and hold said bumper to continue the drift. While drifting, a meter will fill up. When it changes color, you can hit the other bumper (whichever one you didn't use to hop with) to get a small turbo boost (there are at least two other visual tells in Nitro Fueled if you don't want to take your eyes too far off the road, and you can also simply master the timing through practice). You can do three of those turbos in a single drift. It's worth noting that while drifting you still have a lot of control over your kart, so it shouldn't be too hard to steer away from edges.

You get air from hopping at the apex of jumps and a burst of speed upon landing. A bigger boost the more airtime you get.

The speed and air in that video are the result of using those basic mechanics to maintain the boost you get from a turbo pad, which can be achieved by continually drift boosting without stopping or running into obstacles.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a clip of Penta saying "Penguin Yay 1" for those who haven't seen it.

HAH! I was right! You do have to input the cheat code to unlock him!

You hop with either bumper button while turning to start a drift, and hold said bumper to continue the drift. While drifting, a meter will fill up. When it changes color, you can hit the other bumper (whichever one you didn't use to hop with) to get a small turbo boost (there are at least two other visual tells in Nitro Fueled if you don't want to take your eyes too far off the road, and you can also simply master the timing through practice). You can do three of those turbos in a single drift. It's worth noting that while drifting you still have a lot of control over your kart, so it shouldn't be too hard to steer away from edges.

You get air from hopping at the apex of jumps and a burst of speed upon landing. A bigger boost the more airtime you get.

The speed and air in that video are the result of using those basic mechanics to maintain the boost you get from a turbo pad, which can be achieved by continually drift boosting without stopping or running into obstacles.
That sounds daunting as someone coming from Mario Kart and the Sonic racing series. Is this how it works in the original too?

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I recall the item icon would show aku aku but upon activation uka uka would appear.
That's the US glitch I'm pretty sure (except the other way around, uka in icon, aku around the kart). In the EU/JP version they fixed him to just show Aku Aku and not have the dev yay lines like he was supposed to be.

That sounds daunting as someone coming from Mario Kart and the Sonic racing series. Is this how it works in the original too?
Yeah, it's why this kart game is still so highly regarded to this day. It has some of the most satisfying game mechanics to learn.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
JUST A FOREWARNING FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

PORTIONS OF THE GAME HAVE LEAKED AND STUFF FROM THE GAME IS BEING POSTED

I'm fucking salty because people ruined some shit for me already.
The things I thought were ruined for me were fake spoilers buried in the real ones.

EDIT: UPDATE HERE:

Okay, so I've basically found out that the leaks are whatever files were added today when they pushed a new version. Any files that were already on Nintendo's server (the original 5.7GB) are inaccessible and only the update files (the remaining 800MB of the new 6.5GB total) are accessible in the hack. It's mostly media files -- there are some character voice clips, bink video files (some cutscenes are prerendered, at least on Switch) and music -- ten music tracks exactly. It appears that's all they'll be able to get into. Frankly, and call me lame if you need to, I'm glad that's it.

Any leaks you see on unrevealed characters or anything appear to be total bullshit from people hopping on the leak train to try and fool people. So far there's no leaked clips from anyone we don't know about that I've been informed of. I've heard N. Tropy clips so far, and seen a bit of the first time you defeat Oxide.

If you're that desperate to hear an N. Tropy voice clip early, you can DM me, but I didn't go digging for anything else other than that and the screenshot of Oxide in the ending movie, and if you know CTR, you know that's basically the same shot setup as the intro anyways.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm actively trying to avoid them, sorry. I've not seen enough to know for sure, and people are wildly posting fake leaks with the real ones so it's difficult to parse what's what. I don't even know I've for sure been spoiled.

I can definitely verify it though because I heard voice clips from various characters in full quality rips and there were screenshots of unreleased cutscenes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't mind getting spoiled so if anyone knows what it is, please DM me. Even if it's stuff like Spyro.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
All right, I think now is when I go into resist-the-temptation mode. Gonna unwatch the thread and back out of the Crash reddit and discord. I want there to be some surprises at launch when me and my friends get together to simultaneously play through the game.

See you after launch!

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Yeah I'm super curious so I was prowling a little bit, don't know what information I'm missing out on

EDIT: Someone hit me up in DMs if it's anything nice and juicy please

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, can't find it at all sadly. Hit me up with a dm as well if someone finds a link to the good stuff.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds weird asking about spoilers for a racing game but...

Please PM me the details. I'm good.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Okay, so I've basically found out that the leaks are whatever files were added today when they pushed a new version. Any files that were already on Nintendo's server (the original 5.7GB) are inaccessible and only the update files (the remaining 800MB of the new 6.5GB total) are accessible in the hack. It's mostly media files -- there are some character voice clips, bink video files (some cutscenes are prerendered, at least on Switch) and music -- ten music tracks exactly. It appears that's all they'll be able to get into. Frankly, and call me lame if you need to, I'm glad that's it.

Any leaks you see on unrevealed characters or anything appear to be total bullshit from people hopping on the leak train to try and fool people. So far there's no leaked clips from anyone we don't know about that I've been informed of. I've heard N. Tropy clips so far, and seen a bit of the first time you defeat Oxide.

If you're that desperate to hear an N. Tropy voice clip early, you can DM me, but I didn't go digging for anything else other than that and the screenshot of Oxide in the ending movie, and if you know CTR, you know that's basically the same shot setup as the intro anyways.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so basically you just got hit with fake spoilers in between the leaked files. That's fine then, I would be very surprised if there actually was something left that could even be considered as a real spoiler.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yeeeeah... I'm back. Almost immediately I started worrying that I was overestimating these spoilers. I don't want to hype myself up over a bunch of secret nothing.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Ok, so basically you just got hit with fake spoilers in between the leaked files. That's fine then, I would be very surprised if there actually was something left that could even be considered as a real spoiler.

There is still a very real chance of something getting spoiled, depending on what voice clips and cutscenes are in this batch of files. Until it's blown all the way over I'd still stay clear of any of the major Crash hangouts if anybody here hangs out around those.

And despite knowing CTR like the back of my hand, I'm not exactly thrilled about the prospect of having the redone cinematics ruined for me, for instance. There could still very well be extra characters and things left to reveal, I was surprised they revealed Penta on one, tbh.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the street date's gonna get broken and folks will be getting an early copy eventually anyway, so it's good to be cautious now.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh. This really reminds me of snaking in mkds. I might cancel my preorder...
It's a lot more involved than MKDS snaking and is less about just getting mini turbos in a straight line and more about consistently building up your speed and then working to maintain what you worked to get, making it harder and riskier but more rewarding. Though whether that's better or not is up to you.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before here, but unlike in MKDS where snaking was a somewhat broken mechanic where you had to break your thumb on the dpad to make it work, here we have intended mechanics that are easy and fun to input and not at all unreasonable for everyone to learn at low level and satisfying to master on a high level. You'd be wrong to dismiss this game based on that trash mechanic in MKDS.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Unlike Snaking, this is an actual feature of the game, and not a wavedashing on Melee-esque exploit. The game is built around this mechanic, and it's honestly not too hard to get the hang of.

I've not played CNK in years, but I'm sure that even had a counter on certain modes that counted consecutive boosts.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unlike Snaking, this is an actual feature of the game, and not a wavedashing on Melee-esque exploit. The game is built around this mechanic, and it's honestly not too hard to get the hang of.

I've not played CNK in years, but I'm sure that even had a counter on certain modes that counted consecutive boosts.
CTR had a cheat code to have the counter on, CNK had the counter on by default, and a 50+ Chain Boost was a requirement to unlock Pura and Fake Crash in that game. It's an intended mechanic they want you to learn, and it's mighty satisfying once you master it.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks everyone who quoted me and provided an explanation. Just "optically" it looks a lot like snaking. She's just boosting her way through the entire track. I really hope mechanically it "feels" better.

Status
Not open for further replies.