• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Nitro Squad character icons

qa9mslszwq331.jpg

man Beenox just never stopped, this game slowly turned into everything i ever wanted out of a new Crash Team Racing
Controversial opinion: I don't like most of these characters. It's okay, though, I also hate Mario Kart babies/Miis and basically everyone in Team Sonic Racing :P I'm picking Polar and never looking back.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so Spyro is at least coming so that's great. I hoped to have him at launch but this way we'll probably get a Spyro track and some side characters with him as well, so this timeline is probably better. The post launch support is really great though, a new track and a couple of new characters per season is a great. Seasonal challenges sounds great to keep retention up, though this talk about wumpa coins and nitro points do make me hope that everything is earnable in a reasonable amount of time. I'm still under the assumption they're gonna sell wumpa coins as a microtransaction so hopefully it's balanced enough that it all still feels earnable in a reasonable amount of time and not skewed towards actually having to purchase coins if you wanna keep your game complete.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Ok, so Spyro is at least coming so that's great. I hoped to have him at launch but this way we'll probably get a Spyro track and some side characters with him as well, so this timeline is probably better. The post launch support is really great though, a new track and a couple of new characters per season is a great. Seasonal challenges sounds great to keep retention up, though this talk about wumpa coins and nitro points do make me hope that everything is earnable in a reasonable amount of time. I'm still under the assumption they're gonna sell wumpa coins as a microtransaction so hopefully it's balanced enough that it all still feels earnable in a reasonable amount of time and not skewed towards actually having to purchase coins if you wanna keep your game complete.

Yeah, I mean, let's be honest, they weren't going to do all this post-launch support without monetizing it to some extent. You don't have a battle-pass esque system without letting people buy progression. I just hope it's not too much of a grind. One that makes me rethink my love for CTR's mechanics and whatnot. At the very least, I'm so, so glad that new tracks are coming for free to everyone.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Stats

Tawna: Acceleration
Isabella: Acceleration
Megumi: Handling
Liz: Handling
Ami: Speed

I would've made one of em balanced, personally.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- A track based in Egypt
Ancient Arabian city

maxresdefault.jpg

Egyptian tombs

thumb_1500291775-1.jpg

Looks like you guys got your wish with this track!

Another potentially tricky track, navigating through a mix of light and dark areas.
With this track it's now very possible to envision a track with several light and shadowed areas!

I'm still pouring over the new info, its absolutely amazing.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a remarkably high quality reissue, I have to say. Wouldn't come out with that lightly, but they've exceeded my most unreasonable expectations from the initial announcement, and continue exceeding any new ones I try to set.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
This looks like a remarkably high quality reissue, I have to say. Wouldn't come out with that lightly, but they've exceeded my most unreasonable expectations from the initial announcement, and continue exceeding any new ones I try to set.

Yep, I had expectations of just a CTR remake with online support. Beenox already exceeded expectations when they announced Nitro Kart content, now the game includes online events for future unlockables. Mario Kart 9 has a lot of expectations to fulfill trying to compete with this game.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
so a couple things, apprently stuff is going around that the game will have no Micro transactions, not so sure if a believe that

also there is this screenshot which i don't know what track it's from
D8y-OGlXoAU5pcE.jpg

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
so a couple things, apprently stuff is going around that the game will have no Micro transactions, not so sure if a believe that

Doubtful. You don't create a currency and a billion cosmetic items you can buy with that currency without also making that currency buyable with cash.

It's not like I would be mad about it. Get some money out of whales if it means content/support for the game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yeah, I'm betting a loose interpretation of what a microtransaction is. That or a not-at-launch situation like with the last Call of Duty.

As long as it's not egregious, I'll be all right.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
I asked this a few pages ago, but does anyone know if the game will have split-screen online?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA

also there is this screenshot which i don't know what track it's from
D8y-OGlXoAU5pcE.jpg

I don't know. The wording is pretty specific. I'm choosing to take them at their word.

Truly. I was for having them as costumes for Tawna because I didn't think Beenox would go above and beyond to distinguish them. Evidently, I am still underestimating Beenox.
Is that a common thing outside of Super Smash Bros, where multiple characters take up the same slot and are distinguished as skins? I can't think of any other examples at present, but maybe I'm just missing them.

From what Beenox has shown so far, I would have guessed they avoid these characters on the whole rather than put them in as a token gesture.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So there's this press fact sheet being shared on the subreddit that features this statement:

But we didn't stop there, reimagined karts and inspired tracks from Crash Tag Team Racing are also sliding their way through the Grand Prix in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled!

So I guess we'll be seeing some sort of CTTR track later down the line. I personally hope they go fully original with the track layout and just borrow the MotorWorld theme, 'cause CTTR's track designs are pretty dire. I mentioned it the other day, but it'd be cool if they had a single MotorWorld track that visited each of the park's themed zones with the through line of artificiality seen in all of CTTR's original tracks. With the nice discrete day/night transition in the Egypt level, I'm sure they could handle it great.

Is that a common thing outside of Super Smash Bros, where multiple characters take up the same slot and are distinguished as skins? I can't think of any other examples at present, but maybe I'm just missing them.

From what Beenox has shown so far, I would have guessed they avoid these characters on the whole rather than put them in as a token gesture.

Well that's the whole thing. I wasn't expecting them as characters, just outfits for Tawna based on their designs.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me Jak and Daxter. At this point why not dream some more?
Lol Beenox keeps giving us exactly what we ask for so naturally the requests are gonna get more and more insane.

The problem with this is that Sony owns the IP and they're unlikely to develop DLC characters for a single platform.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Give me Jak and Daxter. At this point why not dream some more?
Hum... I think we should keep it simple. Spyro and Crash are the only two franchises that have this weird connection for being the unofficial PlayStation animal mascots during the PS1 days, and that's why they fit together in this game. It's also very convenient that Activision owns the rights for both of them.

If they did what you ask for, pretty soon people would start asking for Sir Daniel Fortesque (Medievil), the clown from Twisted Metal, Spike (Ape Escape) and Lara Croft. Where does it stop? haha
I say keep it within the Crash universe this time, with Spyro as a guest. If one day someone decides to make a PlayStation All-Star Racing, sure, the sky is the limit, but that's a whole different story :P

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hum... I think we should keep it simple. Spyro and Crash are the only two franchises that have this weird connection for being the unofficial PlayStation animal mascots during the PS1 days, and that's why they fit together in this game. It's also very convenient that Activision owns the rights for both of them.

If they did what you ask for, pretty soon people would start asking for Sir Daniel Fortesque (Medievil), the clown from Twisted Metal, Spike (Ape Escape) and Lara Croft. Where does it stop? haha
I say keep it within the Crash universe this time, with Spyro as a guest. If one day someone decides to make a PlayStation All-Star Racing, sure, the sky is the limit, but that's a whole different story :P

J&D kind of make sense as they're the series Naughty Dog created right after Crash, and--after a trilogy--Naughty Dog once again concluded their time with the series with a racing game.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I wish someone would ask them this directly.

I actually did ask them this directly over 6 months ago now in an email interview that has gotten pushed back so far that I've just accepted the game will be out before I get an answer. I get it, we're a lower priority, Crash specific outlet, but I can't help feeling a bit salty that PR managed to do the whole marketing cycle without at least just being upfront that it was gonna fall by the wayside lol -- To their credit they did offer to meet at PAX to do it in person but I couldn't afford the trip. So it got pushed back to the top of the inbox so to speak.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Stats

I'm glad Isabella is Acceleration but it's a shame Megumi and Liz ended up as Handling.

Is Handling type that much of a disadvantage? Sure, I can see the benefits of the other classes, but I haven't played CTR since the good old PS1 days. How bad is it in comparison?

If you want to have a casual race than they are an OK racer type but if your a pro or a seasoned veteran with a meaningful type of experience/skill if you want to be 1st place than you would NOT be picking up any handling types

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Worth noting that handling has new advantages now that--using the reserve system--the turbo boost can be maintained through further boosting as long as you don't bump into things. As prime obstacle dodgers, that gives them a new angle on their specific strength.

That said, I would really rather they make stats chosen separately from characters so you don't have to compromise your visual and driving styles. Just add a completely non-cosmetic step to character selection where you pick your engine or tuning whatever.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
just to help out here is visual representation of which characters are which types

lui4811lir331.png

Is Handling type that much of a disadvantage? Sure, I can see the benefits of the other classes, but I haven't played CTR since the good old PS1 days. How bad is it in comparison?
you really need speed in this game, not having speed is very bad

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Handling char will still probably be good in tracks with super turbo pads. I'm more bummed cuz I don't like how slow they are otherwise and their really good turning actually messes me up when power sliding personally lol.

Though tbh all arounders might still be better there regardless.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I've been periodically checking this thread waiting for Tawna to get announced and it finally happened. AND the Nitro Squad. I am officially hyped now.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Handling char will still probably be good in tracks with super turbo pads. I'm more bummed cuz I don't like how slow they are otherwise and their really good turning actually messes me up when power sliding personally lol.

Though tbh all arounders might still be better there regardless.

I was really good with Acceleration types in CTR so we will see if they remain top pick for players this time around if you want to break land speed records.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Stats

Im just thrilled and amazed about the fact that each one of them is their own character and not Tawna Skins as people theorized, that's amazing, they're just going all out with this game.

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts exactly. I was already super impressed with Beenox and Activision's efforts, but this is next-level, and so much more than I could've ever expected.

Especially stoked for Tawna, the Nitro Squad and the new tracks!

http:///03zd.jpg
Did this get it's own thread yet? this is massive news. Amazing way to support and incentivise people to keep playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.