• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that only Fake Velo is left as the only unconfirmed character that was previously playable. I can only assume they're planning on a CNK themed season later down the line post-Spyro season, probably with CNK adventure inspired challenges and a unlockable Fake Velo and the iconic hoverbike looking boss kart they used in CNK. Can't imagine what kind of track that would come with though since we already got all of CNK's tracks, perhaps a new track that invokes the hub areas from CNK?

Gotta say that the fact that the Back N. Time Grand Prix is including baby versions of Crash and Coco but not the iconic baby versions of Cortex and N. Trophy is kinda upsetting me. Just look at them.
hqdefault.jpg

Given that the first GP will include 5 characters (Tawna and the 4 trophy girls) it's not out of question that in addition to baby Crash an baby Coco we might get Cortex and N. Tropy babbies too.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly took some liberties with the theme but overall it honestly looks faithful to the source track, imo.
I like what they did to it. All the tracks have been amazing so far tbqh.

Oct 28, 2017
England

There's a livestream on-going and also, yes
they did confirm characters, tracks and other content from CTTR are coming

This game is shaping up to be amazing. How many characters are we at right now? I'm counting 35 confirmed at the moment:

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Coco Bandicoot
3. Polar
4. Penta
5. Pura
6. Neo Cortex
7. N-Gin
8. Tiny Tiger
9. Dingodile
10. N-Trophy
11. Ripper Roo
12. Papa Papu
13. Komodo Joe
14. Pinstripe
15. Oxide
16. Fake Crash
17. Crunch Bandicoot
18. N-Trance
19. Zem
20. Zam
21. Krunk
22. Nash
23. Norm
24. Big Norm
25. Geary
26. Real Velo
27. Tawna
28. Megumi
29. Ami
30. Liz
31. Isabelle
32. Baby-T
33. Baby Crash
34. Baby Coco
35. Spyro

Factor in the CTTR trio and we're looking at 38 characters. Add in the likely additions from the future Grand Prix seasons (Brio, Kong and Mo most likely), plus the unannounced characters from the Spyro Grand Prix, and we could be looking at a roster of 50 characters. I think at this point my joke-suggestion of The Viscount isn't too outlandish.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could totally see Viscount and Rilla Roo show up down the line as well. Maybe in a villains pack.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
They changed the statues in Thunderstruck to resemble Norm now.

Between that, the Krunk statues, Nash's species in Meteor Gorge and the signs with Geary in Android Alley I really like them adding details to make it feel like the CNK bosses actually came from the same planet as their tracks.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I love how they kept the floaty physics from the boost pad jumps. Loved those as a child.

Why can't it be June 21 already, dammit 😭

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ooph, you need to be connected online for Wumpa Coins. There was a network error when they tried to award them in the Gamespot stream.

That's a damper on the Switch version.

At least you can get them against AI's, so I'm sure that means I could set up some Turbo Controller shenanigans for the coins if need be. Possibly in battle mode...

Edit: Hey yoh, I noticed in the track select options there's a Mirror Mode setting now!

I'll grab screenshots when the Gamespot stream ends.

Last edited:

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
So we finally got to see what Thunderstruck looks like. IMO it's barely recognizable, but the new look and layout is still pretty cool so I'm okay with that.

Call me a YouTube comment section degenerate but goddamn it's lowkey irritating seeing scrubs play with lack of understanding on power slide mechanics over players who are familiar with the game mechanically.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Call me a YouTube comment section degenerate but goddamn it's lowkey irritating seeing scrubs play with lack of understanding on power slide mechanics over players who are familiar with the game mechanically.
You should've seen the Gamespot CTR stream that just happened. It was horrible.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bad news, Wumpa Coins require an online connection to acquire. This is probably quite significant for Switch Players hoping to earn Wumpa Coins on the go for unlocks.

TMFZREC.png

Don't know why you need a network connection for them and it sucks. I guess it's good you can gain them racing the AI (Wonder if Battle Mode lets you get them, could set up an exploit with teams and a turbo controller to grind them out...) but ditch the online connection requirement please. It only leads to more problems.

On a more positive note though:

lBUTMa8.png

Mirror Mode is an option you can chose! (Last option on the menu) I don't think this has been confirmed yet so it's great to see they added this (Get ready to race RTC!)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Bad news, Wumpa Coins require an online connection to acquire. This is probably quite significant for Switch Players hoping to earn Wumpa Coins on the go for unlocks.

TMFZREC.png

Don't know why you need a network connection for them and it sucks. I guess it's good you can gain them racing the AI (Wonder if Battle Mode lets you get them, could set up an exploit with teams and a turbo controller to grind them out...) but ditch the online connection requirement please. It only leads to more problems.

On a more positive note though:

lBUTMa8.png

Mirror Mode is an option you can chose! (Last option on the menu) I don't think this has been confirmed yet so it's great to see they added this (Get ready to race RTC!)
I'm confused. Isn't the online requirement for Wumpa Coins in online races... obvious?

BTW: Do we know when the embargo lifts? Hopefully it'll lift early like TSR

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. Isn't the online requirement for Wumpa Coins in online races... obvious?

BTW: Do we know when the embargo lifts? Hopefully it'll lift early like TSR

This was a race against AI opponents which you can acquire Wumpa Coins from. But you have to be connected online to actually recieve them. So say you are commuting on the subway and want to race against the AI for some Wumpa Coins. You won't be getting those coins as you require an online connection to recieve them.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Someone on the subreddit pointed out that one of the trophy girls has boob physics.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Real shame ro hear you need to be online to get wumpa coins, it really makes me think that they are gonna sell wumpa coins for real money, it's really the only reason i can think of why it's like this

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I like Nash's new voice but it's a bit jarring coming off of Billy West.

His jump animation is so adorable.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Hey guys! Sorry for the absence! I've been away of social media and discussions in general to avoid seeing any leaks, especially related to Nintendo's E3 presentation. But I'm aware of everything that was announced and shown for Nitro-Fueled and I SUPER thrilled!

Man, I hope this game gets at least a whole year of content. I'm not greedy in the slightest, since we're getting so much at launch and done with so much care.. but I do hope we see the most expansive Crash roster we've seen, with weird picks from Rilla Roo, Viscount, Willie Wumpa and Madame Amberly if possible; "Everyone is Here!" Crash edition XD

Can't wait for the release day! I.. probably won't be able to play right at launch, since because things are a bit complicated here, but as soon I can, I'll be buying this on Switch!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
For those with a PS4 pre-order, a Coco Park theme and Retro Crash and Retro Coco avatars have been added. Also, apparently the game actually comes out on the 20th at 10PM in my region, glad to see I won't need to wait till 1AM.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Yeah, it typically unlocks at midnight eastern time, so western/central folks (like yours truly) get to play the evening before.

I have seen people on the east coast saying theirs says 9pm EST on the 20th, actually. It may just be the digital equivalent of GameStop's 9pm launch parties.

He's saying, "And they say Sonic has a cast of shitty friends..."

EDIT: To clarify, I'm just teasing. :)

I'm one of the rare people who thinks neither cast has a single "shitty" friend lol

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I don't have a lot of love for the NK characters, but I always appreciated the diversity of design in CTR's cast. Sonic and Mario have these manufactured, sterile looks I could never quite get behind, but I guess people see the Crash characters as discordant or something.

I will say that the lighting can be weird a lot of the time, which doesn't do the designs in Nitro Fueled or the N. Sane Trilogy much favor. Like... there's always something off about Dingodile's teeth.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Presented without comment, Iizuka (head of Sonic Team) staring up at CTR running on a monitor at E3.

Photo credit (twitter.com/lythero)
Someone tell him to pay very close attention to what post-launch support is. It's been two weeks, the TSR online is still busted, 0 word from Sumo or SEGA, it's embarrassing compared to how CTR did things. It's seriously such a shame, I love what TSR has and I think it and CTR complement each other nicely, but they need to speak about what they're planning to do with the game.

I don't have a lot of love for the NK characters, but I always appreciated the diversity of design in CTR's cast. Sonic and Mario have these manufactured, sterile looks I could never quite get behind, but I guess people see the Crash characters as discordant or something.

I will say that the lighting can be weird a lot of the time, which doesn't do the designs in Nitro Fueled or the N. Sane Trilogy much favor. Like... there's always something off about Dingodile's teeth.
Personally, I find the Sonic cast much more appealing because most of them are characters spanning 20+ years of franchise, each with their own personality and quirks, so seeing them interact in the races is fun. For Crash, I love the main cast (Crash, Coco, Cortex, Oxide), like some of the other characters (Pinstripe, Tiny, N. Tropy) but the rest it's kind of a meh. At least we're getting Tawna and Baby T soon.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I have way much appreciation for every character (or almost every one) from the cast of Crash games, through the whole series. Especially because I see Crash Bandicoot a wacky cartoon, heavily influenced by the Looney Tunes, where almost everything goes. They don't take themselves too seriously like Sonic, which is way healthy for creativity, fun designs and personalities, imo.

Each on their own. I don't hate anything on Sonic's side though (I'd say disliking is a better term), but in Nitro-Fueled's case, at least every Crash fan will be well served with the whole series being so well represented by a huge playable cast

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Was just about to post that video.

Something in this video I didn't really notice before so far is when you closely look at the wheels of the kart during the drift, two lines appear on the wheels to indicate the perfect timing of the drift turbo.

Start of drift bar - Normal tires
Midway drift bar - Tires start to lit up with two lines on the outside of the wheels, black smoke from exhaust
Transition towards end of drift bar - The two lines on the tires move closer to eachother, entire tire lights up more
End of drift bar - The two lines in the tires meet in the middle

Looks like this visual is to help with the timing of the perfect drift boost without having to look at the bar on the right. That's a very nice QoL improvement.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Was just about to post that video.

Something in this video I didn't really notice before so far is when you closely look at the wheels of the kart during the drift, two lines appear on the wheels to indicate the perfect timing of the drift turbo.

Start of drift bar - Normal tires
Midway drift bar - Tires start to lit up with two lines on the outside of the wheels, black smoke from exhaust
Transition towards end of drift bar - The two lines on the tires move closer to eachother, entire tire lights up more
End of drift bar - The two lines in the tires meet in the middle

Looks like this visual is to help with the timing of the perfect drift boost without having to look at the bar on the right. That's a very nice QoL improvement.
yeah that something they added to help people out, if you don't like it you can turn it off which is nice for people who don't want it

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017

TMFZREC.png

Hm, just noticed this in that other video. That's a very curious design decision considering all the offline content and the no microtransaction stance one of the devs had. Something is not adding up here.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Question for those who either played the game or watched every video of it, in general how is the "falling out of track" aspect of the game?

I saw a couple of examples that look pretty funky, one of them is in the following video at around the 1:05 mark, player one (left side):

To call that area "out of bounds" is quite the stretch. So far that's the only thing about the game that could use some polish. Hopefully the devs can take the time to keep the game updated and deal with weirdness like that. If they do, and Activision manages to keep their greed at bay after release, this will be an incredible game.

Anyone noticed other irregularities like that so far?

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
To call that area "out of bounds" is quite the stretch. So far that's the only thing about the game that could use some polish. Hopefully the devs can take the time to keep the game updated and deal with weirdness like that. If they do, and Activision manages to keep their greed at bay after release, this will be an incredible game.

Anyone noticed other irregularities like that so far?

That's kind of an anomaly tbh

Though the game does pretty much consider everything that isn't directly the track to be OOB, even if it's landable.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that looked real off to me too. Jumping on there in the original doesn't count as off track at all, in fact you'd just hit an invisible wall really.

There's some general wonkiness I noticed, particularly with ramps. There's a lot of instances I've seen where your momentum just gets...completely halted and it's off. I hope they fix it eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.