• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Man, it's so nice to get matched into a game where 3/4 of the players aren't decked out in identical Motorsport Ami loadouts.

That's probably my biggest criticism of the Grand Prix so far; it disincentivises creativity with the Nitro bonus items.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, it's so nice to get matched into a game where 3/4 of the players aren't decked out in identical Motorsport Ami loadouts.

That's probably my biggest criticism of the Grand Prix so far; it disincentivises creativity with the Nitro bonus items.

Aren't you excited for the flood of people playing babies next month? :D

Scrap

Jul 20, 2019
Hopefully none of the babies are Advanced class and/or Baby T is. I think I could handle lobbies full of dinosaurs better than ones full of babies

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Just the last world left to get the platinum relics on now, started out with only the first three done this morning whew. Also up to 33k nitro without ps+.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Could be that the babies match the class of their grown selves. In which case Tropy would be speed, and all is lost.

Actually, more worrisome is Baby-T would likely be the turning rep in that scenario, meaning the one character I'm looking forward to would be unviable.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could be that the babies match the class of their grown selves. In which case Tropy would be speed, and all is lost.

Actually, more worrisome is Baby-T would likely be the turning rep in that scenario, meaning the one character I'm looking forward to would be unviable.

I'm fairly certain they're not gonna match their adult variants, that'd kinda defeat the purpose of having them in the first place.
I believe that either they're gonna do 1 of each type + 1 extra (in this case likely Turn) including the upcoming one, or this set might be an equalizer GP (we currently have 9 speed, 8 accel and 7 balance and turn characters, respectively), where they bring up all of the characters up to 9. I also do not believe that they'll repeat the same class for the GP reward character back to back, so whatever Baby T is gonna be, Accel probably ain't it, and Balance probably ain't it either cause I'm 100% convinced Spyro is gonna be Balance lol.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain they're not gonna match their adult variants, that'd kinda defeat the purpose of having them in the first place.
I believe that either they're gonna do 1 of each type + 1 extra (in this case likely Turn) including the upcoming one, or this set might be an equalizer GP (we currently have 9 speed, 8 accel and 7 balance and turn characters, respectively), where they bring up all of the characters up to 9. I also do not believe that they'll repeat the same class for the GP reward character back to back, so whatever Baby T is gonna be, Accel probably ain't it, and Balance probably ain't it either cause I'm 100% convinced Spyro is gonna be Balance lol.
Going to be a lot of Gnasty Gnorc and Sorceress during that time, assuming they're both speed.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hopefully they buff turn+balanced characters and add in an engine-swap option for good measure. Then you can play as you see fit, and the character hierarchy topples.

Also, figure out a better way to do the Nitro bonus that doesn't put a big limiter on character variety for the better part of a month.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they buff turn+balanced characters and add in an engine-swap option for good measure. Then you can play as you see fit, and the character hierarchy topples.

Also, figure out a better way to do the Nitro bonus that doesn't put a big limiter on character variety for the better part of a month.
Honestly I'm not sure how you could out do speed being the most important thing, since once you know u-turns it kind of takes care of their main disadvantage.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
No Moneybags is easily the biggest spyro character disappointment. It's been a long time since I've played a spyro game but you bet ur candy ass I remember that greedy mofo.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the purpose of having them so that they can have drastically different models and animations? Something they can't do with skins?

Just like with the babies and metal variants in Mario Kart, the purpose of having baby characters is to give (some of the) most popular characters versions in other classes.

Going to be a lot of Gnasty Gnorc and Sorceress during that time, assuming they're both speed.

That seems very likely. And
Ripto is going to be Turn and Hunter Accel.

Sorry, I meant that I hope Baby T is advanced so that everyone trying to grind nitro picks him instead of the babies.

Yeah I know what you meant, but people will still play the other babies because they likely will come with costumes to boost the point gain like the Nitro girls, and Baby T's alt likely will be the reward for maxing out the gold rewards, so you'd gimp yourself out of 15% extra points.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Honestly I'm not sure how you could out do speed being the most important thing, since once you know u-turns it kind of takes care of their main disadvantage.

At the very least they can lessen the disparity. Acceleration has a considerable benefit over speed in online races since their main strength allows them to recover faster from wipeouts and get ahead early in the race. Turning characters should have the best handling overall, allowing them to not just drift at a tight angle, but also drift in a near straight line as needed by steering in the opposite direction of a drift. Balanced should be the jack-of-all-trades they're purported to be, instead of having less acceleration than turning characters and less speed than acceleration characters.

Speed being top dog with the highest execution (and only in ideal conditions) would be okay if turning and balanced weren't so far behind.

Do we know if Beenox is interested in making a mode where there's no items online?

Wouldn't that just be a time-trial against seven ghosts?

No Moneybags is easily the biggest spyro character disappointment. It's been a long time since I've played a spyro game but you bet ur candy ass I remember that greedy mofo.

I'm hoping some side-characters can be at least referenced in skins. Like Mr. Moneybags for Polar or Sgt Byrd for Penta. But if it came down to choosing, I'd rather have a second Spyro GP down the line with the characters proper.

Just like with the babies and metal variants in Mario Kart, the purpose of having baby characters is to give (some of the) most popular characters versions in other classes.

That seems silly. I'm not about to play a baby version of a character I like just because I want them in a different class.

Anyway, if more options are what they're trying to offer, then an engine swap is the way to go. The only downside is a "feeling" that character uniqueness is being lost, and that you can't immediately tell what class another player is using (which doesn't really matter. There's terribly little you can do to strategize against specific character classes vs. others, and the problem could be solved with minor UI additions anyway).

With enough push from the community, I think Beenox will add such a feature.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least they can lessen the disparity. Acceleration has a considerable benefit over speed in online races since their main strength allows them to recover faster from wipeouts and get ahead early in the race. Turning characters should have the best handling overall, allowing them to not just drift at a tight angle, but also drift in a near straight line as needed by steering in the opposite direction of a drift. Balanced should be the jack-of-all-trades they're purported to be, instead of having less acceleration than turning characters and less speed than acceleration characters.

Speed being top dog with the highest execution (and only in ideal conditions) would be okay if turning and balanced weren't so far behind.
I've been curious how much of a difference min vs max acceleration makes. Wonder if anyone did a comparison for that.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Second one with:
  • Moneybags
  • Elora
  • Bianca
  • One of the friends fron Year of the Dragon
  • Cynder

Honestly, as greedy as it could be, I could see three Spyro packs, Swap out the friends from the Year of the Dragon Pack with the Professor, and then Year of the Dragon Friends with the Egg Thief as the kicker.

Although to be honest, I see the Friends most likely being the ones getting the Legendary Skins for the main cast, Sgt. Byrd skin for Penta Penguin basically writes itself.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't that just be a time-trial against seven ghosts?
yes but I think even then a lot of people would appreciate it. At the very least, I feel you should be able to have as much control over what items appear in a race as Battle Mode, which would allow for some interesting matches.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That seems silly. I'm not about to play a baby version of a character I like just because I want them in a different class.

When playing Mario Kart, I've often thought "man I wish Dry Bones wasn't light weight so I could play him" or something among those lines. I would love a Metal Dry Bones for that purpose. :P

Anyway, if more options are what they're trying to offer, then an engine swap is the way to go. The only downside is a "feeling" that character uniqueness is being lost, and that you can't immediately tell what class another player is using (which doesn't really matter. There's terribly little you can do to strategize against specific character classes vs. others, and the problem could be solved with minor UI additions anyway).

With enough push from the community, I think Beenox will add such a feature.

I don't disagree.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamnit Sewer Speedway is the only platinum Relic I still need. I have my planned line, but that shortcut...

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Just make sure to go for the shortcut the first time. I find it works most reliable when I'm squared up with it as I go down from the other side.

I swear that thing only works when I'm NOT making an effort for it, drove up to the thing once at grandpa speed and it worked, never when I need it

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Sewer Speedway is way less of a pain than Coco Park IMO, since the wonkiness is limited to one jump and it's near the beginning lol.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just make sure to go for the shortcut the first time. I find it works most reliable when I'm squared up with it as I go down from the other side.
Finally got it!

And with that, I've unlocked all the single player content in Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled. Now I'm just grinding wumpa coins for the Pit Stop.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I did this comparison and cut it off when they hit the max regular speed from holding X. I realize this probably wasn't the best way to show it now after I did it, but I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to do this >.>.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Parond the odd question but weekend bonus is active for the next 12+ hours right?

Yeah, 16-odd hours left. It lasts until the next Pit Stop change.

Okay so I did this comparison and cut it off when they hit the max regular speed from holding X. I realize this probably wasn't the best way to show it now after I did it, but I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to do this >.>.

Hmm, so perhaps not the greatest difference, but it probably adds up over all the stops and starts throughout a given race.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks!
Gonna spend an hour or so farming for coins. The xtra nitro tho small can help keep me among top 5%

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Started going for Oxide times, and for some reason listing the ones I did below -

Roo's Tubes
Slide Coliseum
Tiger Temple
Papu's Pyramid
Dingo Canyon
Tiny Arena
Hot Air Skyway
Cortex Castle
N. Gin Labs
Jungle Boogie
Clockwork Wumpa
Android Alley
Electron Ave
Thunder Struck
Assembly Lane

I haven't tried dragon mines again. My best time there is only barely better than Tropy. I've looked at a few videos and just never got anywhere close to being decent at that spiral. I could handle it much better in the original game. Sometimes all the added geometry in the remade tracks is just more shit to get stuck on

The oxide times kinda feel all over the place in terms of difficulty but i'm also much better at certain tracks

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Android Alley. Get hit by the train twice per lap, hit one of the little robots, then just run into a beaker or TNT or two.
For me Tiger Temple, just wait in front of a flame spout and spin 10 times
Thanks for that good suggestions.

Also yay did it.
EAAqw_3XsAEUrkA.png