• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
lol, its fuckin' Rilla Roo.

He was always an ugly janky lookin' joke of a character.
Beenox upping his inherent hideousness is hilarious.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Nah dude, he looked like a dumb but likeable monkey man in Bash. No one in their right mind can think they did him justice with this redesign.

xNA4cKJ.png

Someone actually needs to call Tyson Heese so they can give Rilla's face the Sonic Movie treatment. They did my man dirty with that face. Big yikes.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
oh god what did they do to Rilla Roo? Every redesign has been 100% spot on but Rilla. Oh boy.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah dude, he looked like a dumb but likeable...

Bruh, Rilla Roo and the word "likable" are like water and oil, they do not fuckin' mix. lol
He's a lazily designed filler character that only exist because Naughty Dog didn't create enough heroic allies for Eurocom to put on Crash's side in their dumb mini-game collection, and it absolutely shows in those Bash screen shots.
He specifically obtained meme status because he's awful in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, Rilla Roo and the word "likable" are like water and oil, they do not fuckin' mix. lol
He's a lazily designed filler character that only exist because Naughty Dog didn't create enough heroic allies for Eurocom to put on Crash's side in their dumb mini-game collection, and it absolutely shows in those Bash screen shots.
He specifically obtained meme status because he's awful in every sense of the word.
Yep, I can totally see this type of mindset resulting into that kind of redesign. It would definitely take either some resentment towards the character or ignorance towards why some people like the character for that redesign to get through, that face completely omits og's defining features and literally turns it into the most generic ugly gorilla/man face.

Well, at least it looks like most people that actually care about Rilla are speaking up about this on the socials, so hopefully Beenox will listen to the fans again and will try to salvage that face for as much is possible.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You know, I would love to play this again if I didn't have to pay for PS+. No news about a PC version yet, I assume.
I know it's only been six months since release, but damn. Give it to me already.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
oh shit, they completely patched the crystal challenge this time, in the past you can get away for 1 day to grind some nitro in that mode, now you can't.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
WHAT. Whoa. So that means their initial driving style is pretty much meaningless right? And what is classic then? Their default?

Yep, also there's a new driving style called drift, which feels closer to Mario Kart in my opinion, so like you get a mini I think it's blue fire for doing power slides.

I'm not a fan, but I think they tweaked it a bit since it was introduced.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yep, also there's a new driving style called drift, which feels closer to Mario Kart in my opinion, so like you get a mini I think it's blue fire for doing power slides.

That function was removed actually, 'cause the style was really bad on every track except Slide Colosseum. Instead, they made it almost as fast as speed, with better acceleration and turning. It's one of the best styles in the game now.

Update is live. Wonder why Hasty is showing up in the Pitstop?

Oddly, you can buy him and the nitro-unlocked decals in the Pit Stop.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
That function was removed actually, 'cause the style was really bad on every track except Slide Colosseum. Instead, they made it almost as fast as speed, with better acceleration and turning. It's one of the best styles in the game now.

Oddly, you can buy him and the nitro-unlocked decals in the Pit Stop.

Oh, OK. Like I said, I tried it when it launched, then dropped it lol. I should give it another go then.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
same price as always, no?
It's about $15 AUD more than the pack before it. The game is actually on sale at the moment so the new "micro"-transaction actually costs more than the entire game aha.

Crazy to me that every couple of months they drop a new tier for micro-transactions :/

It just seems like an odd thing to share. A new microtransaction denomination isn't exactly worthy of much note. I assumed you were being cheeky about the game having mtx in the face of its TGA win.
I honestly really don't give a shit about The Game Awards. I don't watch it, I don't know who wins it, I don't care about it. I only shared it because it released today and I didn't see anyone mention it. It's just the timing of it all.

Good on Crash for winning an award though.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The microtransactions are really unobtrusive though. The coin gain rate is fine*, and any FOMO pressure should be alleviated in knowing that all the current GP items come back in a handful of months.

*if you can play online. Offline has been nudged towards fine territory with x2 weekends and Ring Rally, but could still use more work.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone going for the 'That was Fast' pro challenge (Lap on Deep Sea Driving under 0:34:00). I got a 0:34:46 lap time and it still triggered the challenge, so presumably the actual cut off is 35 seconds.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The award last night was absolutely well deserved. It should have also been nominated for Best Family Game TBH.

CTR remains one of the best games I've played all year and it's crazy to me just how much free content we've gotten, as well as will continue to receive in the new year.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely well deserved, CTR:NF is easily in my top 5 games played this year and the best racer by miles.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the absurd amount of free and fulfilling content that they continue to steadily add to a 40$ game that people wish they could get from most 60$ games, it's not crazy to me :/
I don't disagree with that assessment at all. To me, the crazy part is putting it through now as opposed to then.

But hey, learnt my lesson didn't I? I won't post in this OT again :)

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Really? Worse than the Spyro track? I generally liked the new ones, especially Twilight Tour. The circus one had some janky physics, otherwise I would've liked it.
Now that you mentioned it, I can't choose between Spyro track or this new one for worst track. lol

I think the circus track is ok though. Twilight Tour just looks bland to me, idk.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Now that you mentioned it, I can't choose between Spyro track or this new one for worst track. lol

I think the circus track is ok though. Twilight Tour just looks bland to me, idk.
Oh boy. Not doubting you or anything, haven't played the new one yet so I was just curious. The Spyro one should've been a slam dunk, and it was just annoying instead. For the Prehistoric and Nina tracks, I thought they were both decent at least.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I like the new map for the most part. Maybe a few too many square-edged turns, and again with the singe blue fire, but I like its length, layout (not a big oval), visuals, and shortcuts. The payout is a crime though. 460 for a map that you can barely complete in just over 2 minutes if you hit both shortcuts and hold a difficult blue fire is... well, it's a crime. And I wish that the really cool under-the-ramp shortcut was somewhere else, as taking it means you have to forgo the biggest jump on the map, and that's a shame.

It's probably the most challenging new map though. Took me quite a few tries to best Oxide.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the new track is pretty great imo. Visually I'm not a fan of the completely generic aesthetic, but the actual layout is very engaging. For me Koala Carnival is easily the worst track added, probably followed by Twilight Tour, both complete boring layouts to race on, about as engaging as Crash Cove, feels made for people that are allergic to turning in a racing game. I like all the other tracks though, they all provide a interesting challenge in their own way. I kinda wish they leaned a bit heavier into Crash references in the visuals of the tracks as a bunch of them look a bit too generically themed to me, but in the end I mostly care about track layout and them being fun to race on so I'm not too bothered by it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, the new track is pretty great imo. Visually I'm not a fan of the completely generic aesthetic, but the actual layout is very engaging. For me Koala Carnival is easily the worst track added, probably followed by Twilight Tour, both complete boring layouts to race on, about as engaging as Crash Cove, feels made for people that are allergic to turning in a racing game. I like all the other tracks though, they all provide a interesting challenge in their own way. I kinda wish they leaned a bit heavier into Crash references in the visuals of the tracks as a bunch of them look a bit too generically themed to me, but in the end I mostly care about track layout and them being fun to race on so I'm not too bothered by it.
My main problem with the new track is that the signposting is horrible. There's only some small signs with the direction you gotta turn which are super easy to miss.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I like the idea behind the new stage, but the shortcut under the bridge has so many tiny little things the car can get caught on and is extremely easy to lose your blue flame, and FUUUCK the jelly cubes at the end. Such an annoying thing. I've been so close to beating Oxide's time 3 times now, and just fuck up those Jellys.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues with disconnections today?

This is my second favorite of the new tracks, just behind Nina's Nightmare. Definitely a huge step up from last months track. I do agree with the complaints about poor sign posting, but that's nothing a few times around the track in time trial and ring race won't fix.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I like the idea behind the new stage, but the shortcut under the bridge has so many tiny little things the car can get caught on and is extremely easy to lose your blue flame, and FUUUCK the jelly cubes at the end. Such an annoying thing. I've been so close to beating Oxide's time 3 times now, and just fuck up those Jellys.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yeah, the jellies are gonna take me a while to figure out fast enough that I can react accordingly while holding blue fire. The rotating they do really gets me. Plus reacting so that you don't wipe out on the hard left right afterwards. Tough track, for sure.