• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This might be my favorite of the bonus tracks so far.

But I fucking can't with the terrible online multiplayer. So many disconnects, so much lag, so bare bones. It's so strange given how much effort they put into the updates.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I think I like the new track too. I need to learn it a little bit more, but it seems decent. Kinda reminds me of the Animal Crossing track from MK, not sure if that's thematic or track layout.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All these Spyro Circuit challenges. Stop trying to make that track happen Beenox.

I may be a bit salty that I keep failing ring rally on the final section of lap 8 for the pro challenge.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What's with the hate on this track? I dig it, and for major Spyro fans (my gf), it's a fan service dream. Is it because it's just really basic track layout-wise?
it's the track lanes being so small and how easy it is to go off road, also the firework and hazards are really annoying

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw who the character data mined for the next GP is. I'm very excited to see how it will look in HD.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
can yo spoiler tag it?
It's Mega-Mix. This nightmare fuel of a creature from Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure on GBA.
latest

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Blizzard Rider Hasty get. Could have had it earlier if they'd actually incentivized other players to use N. Tropy to help with that one challenge, but alas. Plus I was studying for finals during the weekend, and really should not have been playing whatsoever... but all's well that ends well.

Now just to grind out a few skins and save up some coin for next time.

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
A couple questions that Google didn't answer for me:

What do you unlock if you beat the Nitros Oxide time trial?
Is there a way to see which relics I've gotten so far without going to adventure mode? Like time trial has the stars.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
A couple questions that Google didn't answer for me:

What do you unlock if you beat the Nitros Oxide time trial?
Is there a way to see which relics I've gotten so far without going to adventure mode? Like time trial has the stars.
IIRC getting all the Platinum Relics gives you the Platinum paint job. I think you can only check the relic progress in adventure mode.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Yesterday I got to finish all the Oxide times, including the DLC tracks. The base game tracks were easier than I thought.. I guess playing online for so much time trained me the ins and outs of each course, but Nina's Nightmare gave me a lot of trouble! But I managed to beat them all and I quite happy and proud to see this completed before the end of the year (especially considering next month it seems we're getting a treat on that regard of ghost times...)

before this game releasing, I was worried I'd be smashed online and that I wouldn't get Tropy playable ever, since as kid, I unlocked him through GameShark and I wasn't very good or competitive in the PS1 original, now look at me! x3

I'll go after the Platinum and Gold Relics paint jobs next, but those should be a smooth ride, since I won't stress myself and I'll try on Easy in the Adventure Mode. :p

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just unlocked N Tropy too. 😭
Didn't think I'd reach this point.
Don't wanna look at those Oxide times.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I just unlocked N Tropy too. 😭
Didn't think I'd reach this point.
Don't wanna look at those Oxide times.
Congrats on getting the Master of Time! But don't worry, Oxide ghosts can be intimidating at first, but you can tackle them no problem after some time with the game playing normally

CTR is really good in enpowering the player the longer they play! What once was a very difficult task, turns into a mundanne challenge! Try Oxide times later when you feel prepared =)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Are they still doing trident/sourpatch codes? I'm just missing one now (And I haven't been able to find that trident anywhere, grrr), but I haven't seen them in a while.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I caved in and just got a code set on eBay a few weeks ago lol.

side note, I just now realized that my copy of the game had codes for the Crash, Coco, and Cortex Star skins. Is there anything other than the Mecha Crunch skin that the Oxide edition gave you that is not unlockable?

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Congrats on getting the Master of Time! But don't worry, Oxide ghosts can be intimidating at first, but you can tackle them no problem after some time with the game playing normally

CTR is really good in enpowering the player the longer they play! What once was a very difficult task, turns into a mundanne challenge! Try Oxide times later when you feel prepared =)

thank you! I did do 2 Oxide times before I got Tropy because they were my favourite tracks. I can probably do them all if I really REALLY try. But for now I will celebrate my N Tropy get 😭🤣

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I caved in and just got a code set on eBay a few weeks ago lol.

side note, I just now realized that my copy of the game had codes for the Crash, Coco, and Cortex Star skins. Is there anything other than the Mecha Crunch skin that the Oxide edition gave you that is not unlockable?

Oxide skin and a colour scheme/decal for his hovercraft. I dunno if you can unlock this in the main game, because I got the Oxide Edition, but I had that stuff as soon as I booted it up for the first time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I came back to this game over the holiday to check out some of the new tracks and such and I've been playing a little of the online races, as well as time trials.

Unfortunately I can't say my experience has been all that positive. While I love the characters, aesthetic and core mechanics, Beenox have done a poor job polishing this game up since release, to now. They've spent all this time packing in new karts, tracks and characters while tracks like Sewer Speedway are still horrible to play.

I think the biggest issue that remains regards collision with the track edges. All too often going anywhere near the track edges will cause you to make collision with an invisible surface, and in a game where not colliding with anything is so important due to the boosting mechanic, it's a very problematic issue to have.

Here's an example from the Christmas track that Beenox released. The coliders on the walls of the shortcut entrance are much much larger than the visible model. So you often get caught on the edges, leading to you losing your USF, or not making the shortcut at all. One issue like this can set you back maybe 5 or 10 seconds depending on the track, enough to count you out of any online race.

You can play around it, remembering where the colliders are and adapting, but you shouldn't have to remember where the walls are.

The netcode is also still a complete mess, with matches often being several seconds out of sync, and when combined with client side hit/collision detection this often means that you will be hit by items that you did not see. Getting crushed by other drivers who allegedly drove over you is incredibly annoying because most of these interactions are the result of synchronisation issues. Causing you to get suddenly crushed despite being at high speed.

It just feels like they didn't care about this stuff. Heck, the game doesn't even have host migration, so if a host leaves your lobby, the session just dies. Everyone gets kicked out. In 2019, that's insane. Call of Duty added host migration pre 2010.

When you compare this to other racing games, it just doesn't feel like a very polished game.

I'm a big CTR fan so I'd still recommend the game to people looking for some casual fun, but MK8 wins out if you have access to that game, just on account of the walls being where they look like they are, and the online play that works as you'd expect it to in 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing around xmas and really amazed at the amount of content in this game. I dislike the timed pitstop but overall, the game makes me feel warm, it's so charming and inviting. My kids love it too and got us back into the N. Sane trilogy. Guess I should nab Spyro.

Any tips?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So the daily deals are the only thing available in the pit stop? Ugh

Also is it true that hopping up hills/inclines is faster than just driving?

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
So the daily deals are the only thing available in the pit stop? Ugh

you should be able to buy everything available for the current GP until there is nothing left. Also included would be items from a past GP being rotated in. I just checked and my Pit Stop is still packed as it should be.

I don't think that's real. The only thing in OG CTR at least regarding hills is a super advanced strat called Speed Ghost which involves declines only. Generally speaking, hopping is beneficial on offroad areas since it curbs the slowdown.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
you should be able to buy everything available for the current GP until there is nothing left. Also included would be items from a past GP being rotated in.

I don't think that's real. The only thing in CTR at least regarding hills is a super advanced strat called Speed Ghost which involves declines only. Hopping is beneficial on offroad areas since it curbs the slowdown.
No I mean the pit stop doesn't have everything beyond the daily deals so I can't actually buy the things I want right away, I need to wait until I have the coins and wait until the thing I want (out of like thousands) is one of the few featured items.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
No I mean the pit stop doesn't have everything beyond the daily deals so I can't actually buy the things I want right away, I need to wait until I have the coins and wait until the thing I want (out of like thousands) is one of the few featured items.
oh yeah, that's right. Definitely unfortunate. I had to make a push to get through to Yaya lol.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I stopped buying the character bundles as it's much easier to get them individually and they're the most unique parts of the Grand Prix.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Is the switch port worthy?
Yeah, pretty much! Other than they removing fur textures on characters like in N. Sane Trilogy (which, in my opinion, make them look better) and a bit of a blurriness when playing on handheld (nothing too absurd or distracting), the game runs as it should and is full fledged in every aspect.

Of course, you have to be always connected to earn Wumpa Coins and complete Grand Prix challenges, so that could be a downside for you depending the circumstances, but if you play your Switch mostly at home, it shouldn't be a problem either.

Load times were improved in an early patch (that is reflected more when playing docked), but it seems loads are kinda long in general in every platform? Not sure on that one.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I think the biggest issue that remains regards collision with the track edges. All too often going anywhere near the track edges will cause you to make collision with an invisible surface, and in a game where not colliding with anything is so important due to the boosting mechanic, it's a very problematic issue to have.

Here's an example from the Christmas track that Beenox released. The coliders on the walls of the shortcut entrance are much much larger than the visible model. So you often get caught on the edges, leading to you losing your USF, or not making the shortcut at all. One issue like this can set you back maybe 5 or 10 seconds depending on the track, enough to count you out of any online race.

I definitely agree. With a game like this, it would have been better do underdo the collisions than to overdo them. Fewer instances of invisible walls even if it means more clipping through obstacles without harm.

Not unless the hill/incline is covered in grassy or otherwise rough terrain. In those cases, hopping will help preserve your speed by reducing contact time with the slowing surface.