• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Good lord I finally beat N. Tropy's ghost on Oxide Station. All the other ones have been so easy and that one's just like night and day harder. I do not like that course.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I finally unlocked N Tropy! Goddamn, I did it!

Now to shoot for the Digital skin...

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, got 600 for winning Oxide Station. Thanks for the tips! I was tired getting 40 coins yesterday.

Edit: and 300 for last place in Papu's Pyramid.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Finally got all the Platinum Relics. Will flex Digital N. Tropy online once the save corruption bug is fixed.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the amount of game crashes on Switch is actually getting out of hand. I wouldn't be surprised if the N. Trophy glitch on PS4 that makes your game and savefile unstable also exists on the Switch (without the savefile corruption) cause I feel the game got way more crash prone since I unlocked N. Trophy.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so yet again kept track, this time specifically played on high payout tracks to see if I can hit some sort of soft cap.

60 JB 4th <-- wumpa time doesn't initiate on the first race after pit shop rotation
800 EA 1st <-- first race with bonus
600 HAS 1st
800 EA 1st
800 EA 1st
540 AA 2nd
--quit a match because couldnt finish in time--
510 WC 3rd
720 TA 2nd
600 TS 1st <-- last race with bonus, race #8 or #9 if the quit race was counted
80 DSD 1st

5370 coins earned during bonus. This is the first time I didn't get to 10 races with wumpa time active, so it seems like there is a soft cap on the coin earnings during wumpa time. There's still a chance there isn't since my game crashed a whopping 3 times during this session, so that might've messed with wumpa time. That said, looking at the numbers it seems that wumpa deactivated itself after I crossed 5000 coins earned during wumpa time. Looking back at my previous findings it's still possible there is a similar cap of 2500 coins during the no double coin period since I never actually crossed 2500 coins before hitting 10 races. I'll have to do a more thorough test once I got a friend available at the same time as me, cause I have a suspicion wumpa time also works in private matches so it would be a lot easier to test this out with one other person in a private where you can just choose the track to play on.

For now in conclusion, it seems that wumpa time lasts for either 10 races or until you crossed 2500 (or 5000 during double coin periods) coins earned.

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Gonna grind Skull Island on hard mode with remote play and a macro spamming X. I get 15 coins every minute and 10 seconds. Should get 700-800 coins an hour while asleep or at work.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, how in the world do you reliably get the Sewer Speedway shortcut? No matter when I press the jump button, it seems to be 50/50 whether my kart jumps high enough to get in.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
:( I need some tips for the Relic Race on Roo's Tubes :( I'm trying to 100% this area before moving on to the next and well...it's hard.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point to getting all the platinum relics in the local arcade mode? Other than just to do it? Seems like all the unlocks are linked to gettin them in adventure mode.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point to getting all the platinum relics in the local arcade mode? Other than just to do it? Seems like all the unlocks are linked to gettin them in adventure mode.
I doubt there is any reason to do it. Arcade doesn't even seem to keep track of which cups you won either which the original CTR did do, so I expect everything in arcade mode is just a "for fun" deal.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll ever get any Twinsanity remixes with the Grand Prix. The soundtrack for that game is so good.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The random should be a random 4th option. Not randomize the 3 tracks already present. Lol.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Practice, you need to constantly short hop to make sure your kart can go around the tricky bends, and you need to hold a USF just long enough at the big jump to go past the 4 mini boost pads right after it.

Yeah it's the two right bends before the first jump where I lose a lot of time I think, and then I've got to improve in the bends at the last stages of the track where there's all those boost pads.

I can hold USF for long enough I think, but this trial is ruthless compared to the others.

Isn't Tropy's time 3:30 or there abouts? I didnt think finding another 4 seconds in my time would be this hard, compared to the improvements I made in other tracks!

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Getting 750 an hour using remote play and an X button macro while repeating the Skull Rock Crystal Challenge on hard.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally figured out that wall hop on Hot Air Skyway. I really need to stop forgetting about using the e brake when airborne for quick adjustments.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How does Polar Pass work if you want to get Blue Fire? You only get it on the very last jump but I always fly over the boost pad. I could go slower but then I don't have reserves to keep the Blue Fire going. Really weird spot.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The random should be a random 4th option. Not randomize the 3 tracks already present. Lol.

Yeah, it's very misleading when you've played other games with map votes. Especially other, very popular games from Activision.

How does Polar Pass work if you want to get Blue Fire? You only get it on the very last jump but I always fly over the boost pad. I could go slower but then I don't have reserves to keep the Blue Fire going. Really weird spot.

During relic races, when I wanted to avoid jumping over boxes, I would time my hop much earlier on the incline. You might try something like that. Sometimes it'll even get you lower than riding over the top without hopping.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Tried my first time trial last night and wtf, Oxide is not messing around.

Beat N.Tropy's time on Crash Cove first attempt but I just don't know how to beat Oxide because he's another 5s faster than my best. Is there some specific character I should be using? I've only played as Crash so far.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
What I do is start drifting from the right side of the ramp, get to build reserves while consistently hitting the boost pad.

Beat N.Tropy's time on Crash Cove first attempt but I just don't know how to beat Oxide because he's another 5s faster than my best. Is there some specific character I should be using? I've only played as Crash so far.
Used an advanced character, they're the best for simple tracks like those. (well, they're the best in every track, but they're easy enough to use in tracks like Crash Cove)

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

A speed character would help especialy since Crash Cove isn't heavy. You just need to constanty power slide, get Sacred Fire from the boost pad, maintain the fire while hugging the wall to save time.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Used an advanced character, they're the best for simple tracks like those. (well, they're the best in every track, but they're easy enough to use in tracks like Crash Cove)

A speed character would help especialy since Crash Cove isn't heavy. You just need to constanty power slide, get Sacred Fire from the boost pad, maintain the fire while hugging the wall to save time.

Ah ok, I'll try a new character then. I can beat him for 2 laps but he always seems to pull ahead on lap 3 so might be just enough to help... for that track at least lol

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, a speed character will help here.
As for beating Oxide's time:
  1. Don't bother with the ramp. You'll be able to get enough speed to just go through the water and hop to the shortcut.
  2. Stick to the left of the bridge.
  3. Drop off it around where the crate is in relic mode, so off to the left.
  4. Hug the cliff and power slide round it.
  5. Hit the boost pads at the end, then just try and maintain sacred fire, while doing the same thing for the last 2 laps.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
finally got this game yesterday, after the delivery got delayed several times.
my complaints:
-the menu is bland/uninspired
-Long loading times(even on xbox one x)
-Story mode is way too hard(playing classic mode, and i do remember that it was hard, but was it really this hard?)
-there are no real online possibilities(Cups, Points, Championship-modes, or the ability to unlock anything)
-online takes too Long to start, i dislike online MP, which takes ages to have one round with strangers. why do i have to wait almost as Long as the length of one race track?

now the good Points:
-tons of content
-the Music is nice
-ability to switch to the original music
-amazing how they remade the original game
-very challenging
-ability to Play online is a very welcome addition
-i love the colourful graphics

even though i usually complain About fps, in this game it really does not matter that much.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, a speed character will help here.
As for beating Oxide's time:
  1. Don't bother with the ramp. You'll be able to get enough speed to just go through the water and hop to the shortcut.
  2. Stick to the left of the bridge.
  3. Drop off it around where the crate is in relic mode, so off to the left.
  4. Hug the cliff and power slide round it.
  5. Hit the boost pads at the end, then just try and maintain sacred fire, while doing the same thing for the last 2 laps.

Nice tips, thanks! Will try to put them to use later.

Hard mode has been a walk in the park so far compared to these time trials lol

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
What are everyone's opinions regarding Dpad vs Analog Stick?

Just for perspective, I hate Dpad on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but after a couple of hours playing CTR, something about the control just wasn't clicking 100% with me. Yesterday I happened to use the Dpad because I was messing with some reversing stuff, and it felt SO much better, which is very weird because I haven't used Dpad only for racing games since the PS1 days...

Also, I'm very much new to the game and haven't been keeping up with the unlocks. I don't have PS+ at the moment (which will probably screw me hard regarding getting Wumpa Coins), what would be the best approach to unlock content? I assume clearing Adventure Mode 100% should be my main goal, but I would appreciate some tips ;)

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
What are everyone's opinions regarding Dpad vs Analog Stick?

Just for perspective, I hate Dpad on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but after a couple of hours playing CTR, something about the control just wasn't clicking 100% with me. Yesterday I happened to use the Dpad because I was messing with some reversing stuff, and it felt SO much better, which is very weird because I haven't used Dpad only for racing games since the PS1 days...

Also, I'm very much new to the game and haven't been keeping up with the unlocks. I don't have PS+ at the moment (which will probably screw me hard regarding getting Wumpa Coins), what would be the best approach to unlock content? I assume clearing Adventure Mode 100% should be my main goal, but I would appreciate some tips ;)
dpad is better for crash, especially when one of the more advanced things needs down diagonal inputs.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Been exclusively playing speed characters online and honestly I feel they're busted. I don't feel held back by them at all on any track because air braking completely makes up for any turning weakness. I don't see any reason to play other classes over them besides acceleration if you're good enough with braking this game.

Like I'm genuinely seeing good players switch to turning/balanced from accel/speed with some tracks like Papu's Pyramid while I stick to Dingo and I end up 20 seconds ahead still.

Last edited:

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Played this game yesterday on PS4 Pro.
Medium is hard. Makes me feel like i'm bad af. HDR is broken, colors are washed out. Experience so far: Not great :/

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i just noticed something, when i get hit by a TNT, then jump to throw it, if someone behind me he should get hit by it, but it's doesn't do that in the remake, only the original.
is that a bug or they forgot to add this?

anyone want to report that to beenox?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

In terms of actual unlockables, completing Adventure with all Platinum Relics, all Oxide ghosts beat, and the Penta Penguin cheat code are all you need. The rest is just getting coins to unlock the rest of the roster (N.Trance is currently locked behind a 7,200 pack, but the rest are all available individually for cheaper), and then customisation for your karts.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Medium is hard. Makes me feel like i'm bad af. HDR is broken, colors are washed out. Experience so far: Not great :/

What kind of TV do you have? HDR looks great for me, extremely bright and colourful.

Also if you've never played CTR before you're probably better on Easy because Normal requires some use of sliding and boosting to win consistently.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Medium is harder than the original for sure, but it's definitely manageable.

I'm not sure why you're having problems with HDR though. It's saturated as anything on my TV. Like, it's so vibrant, especially Coco Park and any level with fire.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
What kind of TV do you have? HDR looks great for me, extremely bright and colourful.

Also if you've never played CTR before you're probably better on Easy because Normal requires some use of sliding and boosting to win consistently.
Playing on Sony KD65 something 4K. I played CTR way back on the OG when I was bad at videogames regardless. I managed to powerslide around corners and boost on bumps, but it doesn't seem to be even close enough to win.

Turning off HDR fixes the colors. But I'm using Gaming mode for obvious reasons which also uses HDR but results in washed out colors.