• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I deserve this lol. My party had a huge laugh.

I need some sort of SBMM or something because when you pull so far ahead in the lobbies it isn't fun.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Same exact thing happened to me. My buddy came in with a shield and I spammed bombs at him, only for him to cross over in the following wipeout.

I've been having too much trying to figure out ways to cheese my buddies. A head start. Not using power ups. Hiding in the bushes on Jungle Boogie with three bombs. That's always hilarious.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum relics are kicking me hard, feels like you always have to go for every box because the positions just aren't designed for the new boost mechanics, actively having to cancel blue fire immediately on Hot Air Skyway is just silly. Dragon Mines is going to be my major block I think, getting all but 1 box barely scraped a gold.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum relics are kicking me hard, feels like you always have to go for every box because the positions just aren't designed for the new boost mechanics, actively having to cancel blue fire immediately on Hot Air Skyway is just silly. Dragon Mines is going to be my major block I think, getting all but 1 box barely scraped a gold.
Easy enough to get plats without boosting much, honestly. That's kinda why I never liked them though, you have to go slow.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Easy enough to get plats without boosting much, honestly. That's kinda why I never liked them though, you have to go slow.
Yeah, that's the ironic thing. I saw a video of someone using a handling character to get platinum on the Coco Park relic without using a single boost. That was after I had been struggling for a while trying to drive perfectly while getting 2/3rds of the boxes.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Tried to do a search to see if anyone else has reported this but I can't seem to access Battle Mode in the online part of it. I have an XBOX One X, and when I try to access that it just exits to the XBOX dashboard. Anyone know of this issue?

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
When you get hit but the invincibility frames makes you avoid the stop clock.
590691383329947652.png

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Today is the first time I noticed a lot of pop in while playing 3 player split screen. Kinda wish I didn't notice lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Wait- I've been doing the CTR challenges as I finish each hub, and I've not got the spiderweb paint pattern for the team Cortex kart, even though I have all 20 tokens.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, shouldn't they add some invincibility after getting hit, so you aren't stunlocked by a barrage of weapons over and over again?

I think there's a small window of i frames. Super small though. I'd like them to increase it more. I also wanna reiterate that the frequency for blue orbs and masks is way too high.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Played a few matches online for the first time but I'm not a huge fan of it. Every race I played (whether I won or lost) ended the same way, whoever is leading by about 1/2 way though the first lap ends up winning in the end because the people in 2nd, 3rd, 4th battle it out and slow each other down, so it creates this loop where 1st gets further ahead while everyone else keeps getting dropped further back.

I'll probably keep playing a few matches here and there just because the earn rate for coins is so much better. I think I got more from 10 online matches than I did 100%ing the adventure.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how on the earth people consider the items on this game fairer than in Mario Kart

I've fallen into the abyss so many times due to the bouncing animation whenever I get by an item.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I don't know how on the earth people consider the items on this game fairer than in Mario Kart

I've fallen into the abyss so many times due to the bouncing animation whenever I get by an item.
They changed the item balance in the remake. In the original getting a warp orb or a clock were rare occurrences, and you most likely wouldn't get a mask if you were like 1-4th.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Played a few matches online for the first time but I'm not a huge fan of it. Every race I played (whether I won or lost) ended the same way, whoever is leading by about 1/2 way though the first lap ends up winning in the end because the people in 2nd, 3rd, 4th battle it out and slow each other down, so it creates this loop where 1st gets further ahead while everyone else keeps getting dropped further back.

I'll probably keep playing a few matches here and there just because the earn rate for coins is so much better. I think I got more from 10 online matches than I did 100%ing the adventure.

If you can, get some friends you can have private matches with. You still get the daily online bonus, but ideally you can make sure the people you're racing with are on a closer level to you.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think items for this kind of game can just kinda blow in general. A lot of races with good players literally get decided at the start depending on who got hit because it's so momentum based.

I was playing a lot of races with this person today who I'd say was around my skill level, and despite this we always finished almost 20 seconds apart in every race. Which of us won pretty much always came down to who got hit by a god damn rocket at the start.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. I've been hearing so much about Crash not depending on items as much, but honestly the only surefire way to win is to break away from the pack as fast as possible so you aren't beset on all sides by missiles, bombs, blue energy balls and other witchcraft.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
They changed the item balance in the remake. In the original getting a warp orb or a clock were rare occurrences, and you most likely wouldn't get a mask if you were like 1-4th.
Have you ever played local multiplayer on the original CTR? You would actually get clocks and orbs in second all the time. I almost want to say they kept too close to the originals item balance. Of course the big difference here is that in the original the bots couldn't use clocks, orbs and masks and was only up to 4 real players, while here we got got 8 players online with everyone having that crazy item rng.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Have you ever played local multiplayer on the original CTR? You would actually get clocks and orbs in second all the time. I almost want to say they kept too close to the originals item balance. Of course the big difference here is that in the original the bots couldn't use clocks, orbs and masks and was only up to 4 real players, while here we got got 8 players online with everyone having that crazy item rng.
Sometimes, but I certainly don't remember being able to get masks while on first place or clocks and orbs while second.

Oct 28, 2017
Timed content is such horseshit. I don't have access to the internet for 2 weeks on Monday and therefore I can't get the Grsnd Prix content. It's just bad.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, but I certainly don't remember being able to get masks while on first place or clocks and orbs while second.
Masks in first happened rarely, but it did happen occasionally. Clocks and orbs in second never happened in singleplayer, but in 4-player splitscreen that shit actually happened all the time. Splitscreen og CTR in many ways felt like a completely different beast from singleplayer, shit was utter chaos nearly every time.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I played the original on the Vita whilst queueing for it at MCM and... yeah, 1st place masks were a thing in the original.

I do wonder if they should create 2 item sets for the game, "Classic" set for the original distribution and "Nitro-Fueled" for one with a balance one. The 4 player local item set maybe doesn't translate super well into 8 players.

I do appreciate that the AI in this game doesn't use Clocks and Warp Orbs though, that was very helpful and I'm glad they brought it back.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They've said it "may" appear later on the pitstop but that they'd be gone "for a while"

Yeah the "May" is the concerning part and needs clarification, I want to say in the ideal situation there may be like, a sticker that's unique to the grand prix, something like how each overwatch season has a unique spray you can only get for each season.

Although like the overwatch example, I don't want the content to be exclusive to just that grand prix, and you have to wait until the grand prix repeats before you can unlock it again. Although with Spyro Coming, it seems like they wouldn't do that, Spyro is a selling point alone and people would be annoyed if there was no way to get him after his grand prix is done.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
As bad as the item balance can be at times, the bigger problem right now is class imbalance. If you want to win online, you need to use Speed characters; they're that much better than the rest. Even on tracks with twisty corners, the sheer top speed and aerial braking can alleviate all of their problems. You can get away with Acceleration on some tracks, especially those with a blue fire turbo pad near the starting line, but most of the time you'll be going Speed.

All of this makes half the roster (Handling/Balanced) useless. I think they should buff those classes, as the only other option I can see would be to nerf aerial braking which would be a shame as it contributes to some interesting and skillful tech.

Indeed, two of the upcoming trophy girls are of the Handling class going by the E3 build, which already condemns them to irrelevance.

QBComics

Oct 25, 2017
New to this -- Is there no online mode without items? It's seriously ruining my enjoyment of the game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
They've said it "may" appear later on the pitstop but that they'd be gone "for a while"

Ah, I see they've made that a bit more clear. Around E3 there was a tweet from a dev that said pretty flatly that GP stuff would go to the Pit Stop afterwards, but it seems to have vanished into the ether.

New to this -- Is there no online mode without items? It's seriously ruining my enjoyment of the game.

Afraid not. That'd be a nice add later down the line. I'd like to see cups first though.

As bad as the item balance can be at times, the bigger problem right now is class imbalance. If you want to win online, you need to use Speed characters; they're that much better than the rest. Even on tracks with twisty corners, the sheer top speed and aerial braking can alleviate all of their problems. You can get away with Acceleration on some tracks, especially those with a blue fire turbo pad near the starting line, but most of the time you'll be going Speed.

All of this makes half the roster (Handling/Balanced) useless. I think they should buff those classes, as the only other option I can see would be to nerf aerial braking which would be a shame as it contributes to some interesting and skillful tech.

Indeed, two of the upcoming trophy girls are of the Handling class going by the E3 build, which already condemns them to irrelevance.

In addition to this, just, like... let us pick our class type separate from characters or any other visual customizations. If someone loves Polar but also wants to win races on tracks other than Cortex Castle, can we not have that?

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Oof, well hopefully that's added soon. Online seems to be lacking in modes, at the moment.

Yeah, currently you can't even do a local multiplayer race without items. You can only edit items in battles. Being able to toggle items on and off in races and being able to make custom cups (of potentially more than four races) are my most wanted features for multiplayer right now.

It's a bit trickier for online, as I'm sure they don't want to divide the playerbase up too much, though crossplay would help with that. There's another feature I'd like to see added, especially now that Activision is doing it with this year's Call of Duty, and especially since there's frame rate parity across all platforms.