• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Good job conquering Oxide Station. That was the only track where I had to switch to an Acceleration character because I just couldn't manage my fire through those turns at the end with Speed.

Dragon Mines as others have said. Single most difficult time trial for me. Sewer Speedway if you have consistent trouble with the shortcut (I cheesed it 2/3 times through pure speed, overcoming the jump despite clipping the edge). Blizzard Bluff is tough in that it requires mastery of one of the more difficult shortcuts in the game (though I find it more consistent than Sewer Speedway.) Deep Sea driving requires you to maintain blue fire for a big chunk of one of the most hazardous tracks in the game, so that can be difficult. Even Oxide messes up here and there though. Not too many other hard ones off the top of my head.

Oh, you can still cheese Thunder Struck through the track-skipping exploit at the moment. Shamefully, I can't even say how difficult the legitimate time trial is.
You don't need to do the fence skip on blizzard bluff to beat the oxide ghost.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Aw I beat the oxide time on Cortex Castle before I unlocked him, now I have to do it again.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It mostly just requires SF speed. Hell, if you know a trick, you can do it even without SF.
Holding Sacred Fire makes the jump easy

I know it's not the hardest thing in the world, just that--if you line up all the shortcuts in the game--it ranks on the more difficult end of things. You have to drift on ice, learn to drive on a particular part of the snow (despite both areas looking like they'd provide enough air to cross) and carry boost from a turbo pad that jettisons you right into the path of a rolling boulder. And it's especially frustrating to miss because most of the time you're touching the other side of the river when the mask grabs you.

Speaking of difficult shortcuts, I'm reading on the subreddit that the latest update made Sewer Speedway's shortcut easier and possible to do from angles besides head-on. Haven't tested it myself just yet.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I may actually manage to beat all the Pro Challenges, Versatile Racer is the last one left and I've managed to get the top four positions when it's showed up online. Getting the bottom four shouldn't take any effort.

In other news I thought Megumi and Tawna were going to be my favorites of the Nitro Squad, yet here I am playing as Pop Liz whenever I get the chance.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Glad I rented this. It's not really clicking with me much. Normal is too hard, Easy is too easy, and I'm just find it a bit...boring? Gonna play a few hours of online then send it back, I think.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Glad I rented this. It's not really clicking with me much. Normal is too hard, Easy is too easy, and I'm just find it a bit...boring? Gonna play a few hours of online then send it back, I think.

Normal shouldn't be too hard if you learn the mechanics. Maybe that's why you're finding it boring?

I'm actually hoping a QoL update fixes having to race three times on the same track. But I doubt it.

At the very least, it would be nice if beating Tropy/Oxide's time counted as a race win for the purpose of unlocking skins. Same with earning relics.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

lightning16

May 17, 2019
N. Tropy's time on the new track is seriously not at all in line with his times on any other track. Feels like the only track in the game where you pretty much have to be savvy with the reserve system to beat him. He keeps his boost so long on this track compared to any other. He doesn't even take the second shortcut on the track but I'm pretty sure he maintains his blue flame all the way up through that section and into that jump onto that platform with the boost pad anyway.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Just bought this game. I never played the original but it seems super fun and challenging so far.
I like that there's so much single player to chew through and stuff to unlock, never felt the motivation to play Mario Kart solo.
Any tips for a newbie welcome!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
N. Tropy's time on the new track is seriously not at all in line with his times on any other track. Feels like the only track in the game where you pretty much have to be savvy with the reserve system to beat him. He keeps his boost so long on this track compared to any other. He doesn't even take the second shortcut on the track but I'm pretty sure he maintains his blue flame all the way up through that section and into that jump onto that platform with the boost pad anyway.
It seems like they took the liberty to make him harder since it isn't required to unlock a character. I like it since it actually prepares you for the Oxide ghost unlock a lot of Tropy times.

Just bought this game. I never played the original but it seems super fun and challenging so far.
I like that there's so much single player to chew through and stuff to unlock, never felt the motivation to play Mario Kart solo.
Any tips for a newbie welcome!
Watch the first 10 minutes of this video for a beginner's guide from a skilled player.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

You're probably not taking full advantage of the mechanics. If you do, Normal won't be nearly as difficult and the game will (probably) be less boring. I saw this mini-guide on Reddit earlier that can take you from zero to hero, follow it and you could be pulling off stuff like this with little effort:

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019

Lucky you, I bought this shit digitally so I'm stuck with it. Online is also not fun at all, there's always one untouchable dude who's at least 10 seconds ahead meanwhile everyone else is just blasting each other with power ups 😭

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oxide keeps blue fire for an entire lap. Thank God he loses it basically immediately after the super boost pad on the second lap.

cloudyboy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, gonna ask this here, because I am getting tired of this

But, I just can't get to play a race in online matchmacking (switch), everyone disconnect in the loading screen, tried several time and no luck. This is getting kind of annoying because I really want to complete the online challenges as well, also I usually have a perfect connection with no issue at all in other games... am I the only one or is this a common issue?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, gonna ask this here, because I am getting tired of this

But, I just can't get to play a race in online matchmacking (switch), everyone disconnect in the loading screen, tried several time and no luck. This is getting kind of annoying because I really want to complete the online challenges as well, also I usually have a perfect connection with no issue at all in other games... am I the only one or is this a common issue?
There is a new patch that just came out on PS4. It might be out on Switch so checking for the update may solve the issue, unless it's been happening for days / weeks now.
Sometimes I drop out after every couple of races but it's because internet in Australia is spotty.

cloudyboy

Oct 27, 2017
There is a new patch that just came out on PS4. It might be out on Switch so checking for the update may solve the issue, unless it's been happening for days / weeks now.
Sometimes I drop out after every couple of races but it's because internet in Australia is spotty.

Thanks, have been trying for a few days now! but didn't tried before because I was too busy doing the campaign!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to finally unlock N. Tropy for a complete roster! Oxide Station and Tiny Temple were absolutely awful, so I'm amazed I actually made it. Hardest character unlock I've ever seen in a game!

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was close...

KnS762R.jpg

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Anyone tried the Sewer Speedway shortcut after the patch? Some people say it's easier now. Well, not for me, that's for sure.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

It's funny because looking at your video our approaches were completely different. I thought the only way to win was to hold onto sacred fire as long as possible for the 2nd two laps, and I thought you were a goner when you barely held onto it past the finish, but you were so efficient cutting corners and going up the spiral staircase you ended up beating my time (1:34:59) despite me holding sacred fire for nearly two full laps. Really showed me there's more to the game than just always having boost reserves.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That spiral staircase in Dragon Mines might as well be that spiked pillar in the first God of War.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Met my first group of trolls just now. Played Thunderstruck, and when these doofs found out they couldn't do the exploit anymore, they just sat on key parts of the track and harassed other players.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Have they tweaked the small shortcut at the beginning of Twilight Tour or something? Because for some reason I can't hit it consistently today even though I don't think I ever had a problem with it. Weird.
Edit: Ah yeah, fuck clocks. That shit's so fucking annoying when you're trying to build scared fire or jump about to jump a gap.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have they tweaked the small shortcut at the beginning of Twilight Tour or something? Because for some reason I can't hit it consistently today even though I don't think I ever had a problem with it. Weird.
I just raced there a bunch of times and I always made it, even when I wasn't boosting.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It seems like they took the liberty to make him harder since it isn't required to unlock a character. I like it since it actually prepares you for the Oxide ghost unlock a lot of Tropy times.

If you don't already have Tropy, the Twilight Tour time isn't necessary to unlock him?

Met my first group of trolls just now. Played Thunderstruck, and when these doofs found out they couldn't do the exploit anymore, they just sat on key parts of the track and harassed other players.

It's embarrassing how entitled tryhards feel over unintentional skips in games.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

It's funny because looking at your video our approaches were completely different. I thought the only way to win was to hold onto sacred fire as long as possible for the 2nd two laps, and I thought you were a goner when you barely held onto it past the finish, but you were so efficient cutting corners and going up the spiral staircase you ended up beating my time (1:34:59) despite me holding sacred fire for nearly two full laps. Really showed me there's more to the game than just always having boost reserves.
cheers buddy. And yeah you're right, there are so many nuances to the way the game is played at higher levels. Improving in this game has proven to be extremely rewarding. One thing I definitely feel like I'm taking advantage of is air braking. In Dragon Mines, going up the staircase that's what I was trying to do as fast as possible. Could use some cleaning up for sure but as you noticed yourself I think it's pretty much the only reason I beat Oxide lol.

also HEY I got Sewer Speedway cleared just now as well. All this talk about the hardest Oxide ghosts, I want the rest of my time playing CTR to be as stress free as possible haha.

I feel like I kinda figured out the shortcut, but gonna need a few more runs. For me, my chances of getting it are drastically reduced if I try to approach it with any kind of angle. I gotta go straight on, perpendicular to the half pipe. There seems to be a sweet spot as well. May differ from kart to kart but once I started focusing on hopping as soon as my rear wheels fully cleared the rust colored part of the half pipe I was golden.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Lol, people are buying the Nitro Squad sticker pack thinking they're getting the actual characters :p

(I kinda want the stickers though)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am just saving up coins to get the pricier packs.
One colour/sticker pack has my country's flag colours so ima get that too xp

Also megumi best girl, always optimistic and cheerful :3

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Got the last Nitro Squad character pack, just before vacation tomorrow. No Crash for a week, but I'm pretty confident with my position in the Nitro leaderboard. Bit of a shame that the dates coincide perfectly with missing a whole set of weekly challenges, but that's a trifle.

All-in-all this remake has been everything I hoped for and more. I'm 98% happy with the team behind it (they're clearly listening, I just wish they were a little more communicative, especially with patch info) and I'm extremely optimistic about the game's future. These past two and a half weeks have been monumentally satisfying.

And I can't get this picture out of my head; a twinkle on the farthest horizon, hailing a true and proper Crash Team Racing 2 from Beenox.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I can't get this picture out of my head; a twinkle on the farthest horizon, hailing a true and proper Crash Team Racing 2 from Beenox.
Oh having these guys go all out on a sequel that isn't constrained to the old 1999 game is going to be amazing. I want them to do everything from polishing the mechanics to creating brand new aesthetic to the levels to bringing more imagination to boss races and other challenges. Imagine actually creative boss levels requiring different skills rather than all of them just dropping bombs ahead of you. Imagine relic challenges actually being interesting rather than gather more crates of a different colour.

In fact, after seeing the work they put into revamping the designs of old characters and environments, I want them to work on a new platformer to see what they come up with.