• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8D is a lot of fun online. The racing is less involved, so can focus more on item play and other stuff in the race. You can hold items behind you while keeping another item in backup, so it gives a much needed protection from getting item spammed. The item balance is also good so people in higher positions can't get Mask equivalents (stars etc).The speed differential is lower compared to CTR so it makes for more closer races. The net code is also leagues better than CTR.

Overall, MK8D is a great online game!
I haven't been playing online because both my joycons are suffering from analog drift (and missed inputs on the left). I might give it a shot later today.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope there's at least a few weeks break before the next Grand Prix. Playing through the mediocre online, being restricted to a few karts/characters for the bonus Nitro, all while trying to get as many Wumpa Coins as possible in order to unlock the new content, it's exhausting.

I had fun for the first week of doing this, but now having to log-in to get my daily bonus and do the challenges for the Grand Prix feel like a chore. Thankfully the content in the next one doesn't look as interesting so I might skip it with the exception of getting the characters, but I can tell the Spyro one is going to be something I put a lot of work into.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8D is a lot of fun online. The racing is less involved, so can focus more on item play and other stuff in the race. You can hold items behind you while keeping another item in backup, so it gives a much needed protection from getting item spammed. The item balance is also good so people in higher positions can't get Mask equivalents (stars etc).The speed differential is lower compared to CTR so it makes for more closer races. The net code is also leagues better than CTR.

Overall, MK8D is a great online game!

Edit - also lol at those "shortcut" vids above. Devs really needed to polish the game more.
MK8 is also honestly a far more fun game to watch than CTR. So I was not surprised that, not even a week after launch, I had to scroll down a while to find CTR on Twitch. The game isn't even a month old and is already farther down the list than MK8 (at least at the moment, I get that # of viewers fluctuate, but still, CTR is so new it shouldn't be even close).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, yeah I didn't mean to do it in the same post lol. I wasn't thinking about MK Wii; it had its share of skips. Still, don't think it was this many tracks though?
They just discovered 3 new Ultra Shortcuts in the past couple days.

That said, CTR Nitro Fueled has a bit of an unfair advantage in that comparison because the unintentional shortcuts can be patched, while Mario Kart Wii never had its many many many unintentional shortcuts patched. Nintendo learned from their mistake there and changed the checkpoint system in future games. I think Nitro Fueled would benefit a lot by adding mid-course checkpoints required to get a lap, since that would remove all these exploits and future exploits that work in a similar fashion.

Last edited:

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
So not long ago, Beenox released the 1.07 patch for PS4 and the 1.0.1.1 for Xbox One (I didn't know about the build number beforehand) but the Switch didn't get a patch since the advent of Grand Prix. Good news, there's now a 1.05 patch available, even includes improvements to loading times using Boost Mode.

(Thanks for the tip, Veldin!)

Faster loading? Yes! Any comparison for how much faster (on Switch)?

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
They just discovered 3 new Ultra Shortcuts in the past couple days.

That said, CTR Nitro Fueled has a bit of an unfair advantage in that comparison because the unintentional shortcuts can be patched, while Mario Kart Wii never had its many many many unintentional shortcuts patched. Nintendo learned from their mistake there and changed the checkpoint system in future games. I think Nitro Fueled would benefit a lot by adding mid-course checkpoints required to get a lap, since that would remove all these exploits and future exploits that work in a similar fashion.
Nice cuts. Amazing how stuff is still getting found there.

And yeah, MK8 didn't have any of this stuff. The team learned from their previous iterations.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
CTR:NF absolutely has 102% and I have conclusive proof...

YmHGcum.png

TRDcpxK.png

RCb9JMG.png

lolz. Anyways damn, can't believe I was able to knock all these out in one weekend! Feels good. And would you look at that ride. Phew. I will be uploading some of my Platinum videos in a bit. I'm not a world beater by any means but hopefully someone can take something out of them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
CTR:NF absolutely has 102% and I have conclusive proof...

YmHGcum.png

TRDcpxK.png

RCb9JMG.png

lolz. Anyways damn, can't believe I was able to knock all these out in one weekend! Feels good. And would you look at that ride. Phew. I will be uploading some of my Platinum videos in a bit. I'm not a world beater by any means but hopefully someone can take something out of them.
Congrats on getting platinum!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
thanks dawg. I think you mentioned you're gonna chill off taking them on for now but I screwed up a ton in each Platinum except for maybe Tiger Temple lol. Totally doable, mostly comes down to memorization.
That gives me some more motivation. The ones I'm scared of the most are Papu's Pyramid and N Gin Labs.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Cortex Castle doesn't give me as much worries just because the gold relic there was pretty easy.

But the Pyramid and Labs... Whooooo boy. I struggled for so long just to get the gold.
Yeah, pyramid can get annoying as it requires some specificity. Still, keep repeating and you'll get it.
The labs is easier with BF and all. Blizzard Bluff can get annoying coz you need to take a particular line with the sc. Good luck with them all.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
God, fuck the joycon controllers. Just lost an online race I had an easy lead on because I suddenly veered left into a pit and then when I thought the problem was gone veered left again.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God, fuck the joycon controllers. Just lost an online race I had an easy lead on because I suddenly veered left into a pit and then when I thought the problem was gone veered left again.

I can heavily recommend the Horipad. It's 20$ (as opposed to the Switch Pro's 60), is comfy and wired, and comes with a turbo button (for idle coin farming). The only downside is that you wouldn't have rumble, but that also makes it a lot lighter.

Also Papu's Pyramid is a pretty hellish Plat relic because of the fucking maneaters. They were the end of me haha.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got Motorsport Tawna.

Now I just need to get all the pit stop stuff from the grand prix.
I can heavily recommend the Horipad. It's 20$ (as opposed to the Switch Pro's 60), is comfy and wired, and comes with a turbo button (for idle coin farming). The only downside is that you wouldn't have rumble, but that also makes it a lot lighter.

Also Papu's Pyramid is a pretty hellish Plat relic because of the fucking maneaters. They were the end of me haha.
Unfortunately, I play only handheld, so horipad won't work for me. I am checking out the Hori left joycon though.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Since I've platinumed the game, don't really have much else left to do now. The online isn't too enjoyable right now with all the issues. I was hoping the devs would fix the battle mode (missiles, splitscreen, etc.), but that's likely not happening.

So, might just be time to move on. Overall, I had a great time!

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

here's a few of my Platinums with a handful more on the channel. I guess the moral of the story is be patient and you can absolutely recover from a gaffe here and there.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am around 10k nitros from getting motorsport tawna which ill aim to clear this week.
Gonna focus on spending coins on gp exclusive items going forward.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Finally finished the grand Prix. I didn't like the grind and it really burnt me out on this game, I think I'm going to take a week break before I go back in.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Just over a thousand nitro points to go before I finish the gold tier for the Grand Prix. Sorry to everyone who sees me in a lobby and then immediately quit but I just want to get this last position in Crash cove done with 😂.

Excited to take a break from Crash as well, I don't care for a kart only 5% of people but I certainly want to get all the characters and skins and I can't believe I'm so close to actually finishing that.

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to fix the p2p hosting issue somehow. It really sucks to be matched to a full lobby only to be immediately dropped into an easy mode single race with mindless bots because the host decided to quit or got disconnected.
Like, I've been enjoying my online experience with CTR:NF; I've gotten lots of full lobbies with very stable matches, and have racked up, like, 65 hours of play in just a few weeks (For comparison my MK8Deluxe playtime is like 70+ hours after a year +, and I love that game). However, the mode's obviously got some glaring issues and I hope Beenox resolves them before it damages the game's longevity.
MK8 is also honestly a far more fun game to watch than CTR.
I wholeheartedly disagree on that.
CTR's high-speed, triple boost mechanic combined with its huge hops, crazy hang time, airborne turning, and death defying shortcuts makes It way more exciting to watch imo. MK is often very passive and, err, "flat" (for the lack of a better term) even at it's highest speeds.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Out of Time is low-key a really good track.
They really need to fix the p2p hosting issue somehow. It really sucks to be matched to a full lobby only to be immediately dropped into an easy mode single race with mindless bots because the host decided to quit or got disconnected.
Like, I've been enjoying my online experience with CTR:NF; I've gotten lots of full lobbies with very stable matches, and have racked up, like, 65 hours of play in just a few weeks (For comparison my MK8Deluxe playtime is like 70+ hours after a year +, and I love that game). However, the mode's obviously got some glaring issues and I hope Beenox resolves them before it damages the game's longevity.
It's also frustrating in the lobby when the host leaves right before a game starts and you're forced to switch lobbies and tracks. Especially when you go from one of the best tracks like Cortex Castle to shit like Inferno Island.

Also, general connection during games can be really bad. I remember I once dropped a TNT crate behind me only for it to appear on the head of the guy in front of me.

Just over a thousand nitro points to go before I finish the gold tier for the Grand Prix. Sorry to everyone who sees me in a lobby and then immediately quit but I just want to get this last position in Crash cove done with 😂.

Excited to take a break from Crash as well, I don't care for a kart only 5% of people but I certainly want to get all the characters and skins and I can't believe I'm so close to actually finishing that.
By finishing the gold tier, you're basically guaranteeing the 5% kart. So you're in the clear for that too!

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

100% agreed

This plus when you just get disconnected all together from the lobby seconds after the track has been chosen.

Oct 27, 2017
It's also frustrating in the lobby when the host leaves right before a game starts and you're forced to switch lobbies and tracks. Especially when you go from one of the best tracks like Cortex Castle to shit like Inferno Island.

Also, general connection during games can be really bad. I remember I once dropped a TNT crate behind me only for it to appear on the head of the guy in front of me.
The connection issues can definitely cause the TNT crates to become really janky. One time I veered into one online only to have it immediately disappear when it landed on my character's head. Another time a TNT was stuck on my character's head for, like, 15 seconds before exploding lol. One time a TNT never left my head, it was there for the entire race! :P
100% agreed

This plus when you just get disconnected all together from the lobby seconds after the track has been chosen.
Yep, that's pretty bothersome too.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Since I've platinumed the game, don't really have much else left to do now. The online isn't too enjoyable right now with all the issues. I was hoping the devs would fix the battle mode (missiles, splitscreen, etc.), but that's likely not happening.

So, might just be time to move on. Overall, I had a great time!
What's your total playtime?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I just got in a race with someone that had no kart model loaded, lol; the dude was just using a floating Dingodile during the whole race

I think the person tried to change karts way too late in the lobby

Griffins22

Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of funny when people complain about grinding for the grand prix when they finished two weeks ahead of the end lol

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I'm actually curious how much the next gp will try to add onto the game in terms of the more incidental unlocks like paint and stickers. I can bet the Spyro one will introduce a new shader for "gem" palettes but I don't really know how a prehistory themed event can add more colors beyond earthy-looking ones