• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get all the crates. They shave 10 seconds off your time in the end, and you save a lot of time getting them on top.

Some of them are...obnoxious to get though lol.

I got all of them in Mystery Caves, which is why I got gold in the first place. I guess for the plat relics I'm gonna have to get used to drift boosting a lot more and learning optimal paths.
Which I guess is going to happen anyway if I want all of the characters. Looking at you, time trials. 👀

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Ahh the salt here makes me nostalgic for N Sane threads. People really didn't like those bridge levels...

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Get all the crates. They shave 10 seconds off your time in the end, and you save a lot of time getting them on top.

Some of them are...obnoxious to get though lol.

Hello Sewer Speedway XD

In the end, I managed to do it (almost 4 seconds under the Platinum time), but DAMN if it didn't require lots of tries due to the placement of some boxes. I kind of forgot how tought it could be lol

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Sewer Speedway XD

In the end, I managed to do it (almost 4 seconds under the Platinum time), but DAMN if it didn't require lots of tries due to the placement of some boxes. I kind of forgot how tought it could be lol
Sewer Speedway is one track I said screw it and just went for the Plat without getting all the crates...it was easier that way lol.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
This.

To be fair I never played the original but the drifting feels so bad.
I said the same thing when I first played Mario Kart, that the drifting feels crap there (outward drift). But that's coz I came from the original CTR so I was used to inward drifting.

Just a matter of where you started I guess.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
The first thing I did after starting this was do a few time trial laps in Crash Cove just to get an idea of the handling. I haven't played the original for years, and didn't want to try it before this one just so I can settle into this new style without issues.

Ended up winning Crash Cove first try on Hard. Roo's Tubes gave me some hassle though. The handling/drift is definitely not the same, but I guess we just have to get used to this new style.

This is a good example of the rubberbanding. I would be boosting everywhere hitting every boost pad but yet the AI would be right next to me. This happens all the time.

Oct 28, 2017
Ahh the salt here makes me nostalgic for N Sane threads. People really didn't like those bridge levels...
Those bridge levels were genuinely broken in the trilogy compared to the original. It took something that was good and broke it. It deserved all the whining it got.

Salt in here on the other hand is just rage because they're not good enough at the game. Complaining about rubber banding on medium is just.....lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Are the Oxide Edition items gonna be available to purchase separately at any point, or have they been unclear about that?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing a lot of details that either weren't in the original or I never noticed because well, it was a PS1 game and the resolution sucked. Things like Potteroo and the little scrubbing robots hanging out in the Sewer level, and the Wizard enemy on the sidelines in Coco Park. There's really a ton of little nods to the series that I never noticed in the original.

Also, you can detonate bombs by pressing circle a second time?! Has that always been a thing?

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Just to make sure are y'all boosting the moment the meter hits red? Because you wanna wait till it's almost full, otherwise you'd barely be getting any speed. Or if you're using the new meter, go for the "perfect".

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm noticing a lot of details that either weren't in the original or I never noticed because well, it was a PS1 game and the resolution sucked. Things like Potteroo and the little scrubbing robots hanging out in the Sewer level, and the Wizard enemy on the sidelines in Coco Park. There's really a ton of little nods to the series that I never noticed in the original.

Also, you can detonate bombs by pressing circle a second time?! Has that always been a thing?
Those are new, they added a ton of details to the tracks.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good example of the rubberbanding. I would be boosting everywhere hitting every boost pad but yet the AI would be right next to me. This happens all the time.
It's not rubberbanding, but just the speed that AI goes at on hard. You could get large leads, but you'd have to be driving at very high speeds without hitting any walls or missing a boost. I'm sure we'll see that once people get more used to the game.

Oct 28, 2017

It has. In fairness I had the game for years before I found that out myself though.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I said the same thing when I first played Mario Kart, that the drifting feels crap there (outward drift). But that's coz I came from the original CTR so I was used to inward drifting.

Just a matter of where you started I guess.
CTR had something closer to outward drifting though. This remake is way more inward than the original game. CTR would be something like "middle drifting". It was way easier to start a drift and keep a really wide angle. You get forced inward far more in this game.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Lazy devs rhetoric
I was super hyped for this game but watching the online performance and lack of rankings of any kind killed me. No.buy for me, at least until they fix it, it's a fucking remake!!! And also it's not 60fps dammmn, I'm sorry but daaaamn lazy devs.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
CTR had something closer to outward drifting though. This remake is way more inward than the original game. CTR would be something like "middle drifting". It was way easier to start a drift and keep a really wide angle. You get forced inward far more in this game.
It's mostly the start that does that. CTR original was smooth all the way through as I recall. It's been a while though.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I was super hyped for this game but watching the online performance and lack of rankings of any kind killed me. No.buy for me, at least until they fix it, it's a fucking remake!!! And also it's not 60fps dammmn, I'm sorry but daaaamn lazy devs.
Online has been flawless for me since the patch, although I'm seeing mostly Dutch names, so I guess they restricted matchmaking to mostly local matches to fix the issues for now. And 30fps is not an issue, it looks great and as far as I've seen doesn't dip. I though it would bother me, but it doesn't at all. The game feels very smooth and fast.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, a beta could have helped iron out online issues, but this happens at launch. The 60fps thing doesn't warrant you calling them lazy devs imo. They clearly put a hell of a lot of work into this game.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
They are not lazy devs. Come on now.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Online has been flawless for me since the patch, although I'm seeing mostly Dutch names, so I guess they restricted matchmaking to mostly local matches to fix the issues for now. And 30fps is not an issue, it looks great and as far as I've seen doesn't dip. I though it would bother me, but it doesn't at all. The game feels very smooth and fast.
Yeah, you're probably right, but I still play Mario Kart 8 online every week, so I'm used to an almost perfect online. I'll probably wait for more patches until everything runs fine.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
Seriously: You guys complaining about 30fps at least tried to play the game?

It seems unlikely, but the game just runs perfectly fine. Looks great and runs smoothly, no problems with motion blur.

You DEFINITELY shouldn't call any dev on this remake "lazy". It's one of the best remakes ever made. A few issues on the first day are pretty common and I'm sure there are gonna be some patches improving both online and single player experiences.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Can someone explain to me how to drift ? It isn't very clear
You can press either of the shoulder buttons to hop, and if you hold a direction you'll start a drift. There's a bar in the bottom of the screen that fills when you start one, when you see it's reaching the end if you press the other shoulder button it'll give you a small boost and reset the bar. You can do this 3 times per drift.

If you go over a turbo pad, your drift boosts will be stronger as long as you don't let the boost run out (the flames on the kart are your indicator, if they're small you have a regular turbo, if they're big you have super turbo and if they have a shade of blue you have "Blue Fire", the fastest turbo there is).

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are not lazy devs. Come on now.
A premium product should not have this kind of issues. I'm sorry but not achieving 60fps and having network issues reflects a poor work, maybe not a fully poor work on the overall game but it's clear that some areas are not ready for launch. It's also a remake so I can't justify it.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think it's rubber banding. The AI on that track are programmed to hit 1m 35s to 1m 38s and they end within that time frame in the video. He just had a good second lap at 29s.

I played that like 5 times till I got a win on 1m 32s, with the AI in 1m 35s.

The lack of banding against the AI is actually a problem, in my opinion. Because if you get hit early the AI will still hit that 1m 35 to 1m 37m times. So, if you get hit early, that's often the end of the race. It doesn't help that, in my experience the AI are quite aggressive on hard mode.

They cheat to gain speed also. Even if you hit them with items early, they propel themselves back up to that very fast time. They take bad driving lines, and simply travel at a higher speed.

Overall, the AI implementation is very crude. Far worse than what it is in Mario Kart where they tend to be much more dynamic.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
A premium product should not have this kind of issues. I'm sorry but not achieving 60fps and having network issues reflects a poor work, maybe not a fully poor work on the overall game but it's clear that some areas are not ready for launch. It's also a remake so I can't justify it.

Premium product that costs $40 and has WAY MORE CONTENT than we initially were promised for, plus a bunch of free DLC content coming in the next few months.

I'm sorry, but a few network issues on THE FIRST DAY has nothing to do with laziness.

As for 60fps, play the game and you'll see. You're complaining about something you didn't even try.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just to make sure are y'all boosting the moment the meter hits red? Because you wanna wait till it's almost full, otherwise you'd barely be getting any speed. Or if you're using the new meter, go for the "perfect".

I think using the wheels is best for players getting used to it. If you hit the boost at the time where the orange lines align to one single line on your wheels, you'll hit perfect.

For players getting used to the system, this lets you focus on the track, rather than a UI element at the bottom right of the screen.

After a while, regardless of what you look at, it'll be muscle memory. You don't need the UI element, wheels, or whatever with experience.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Nintendo published a trailer with a little bit of 4 player split screen gameplay if anyone is curious (and don't want to peak at any major spoilers through other people gameplay).

I can't wait to get my copy! for now I'm training by playing both CTR and CNK :p

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You can press either of the shoulder buttons to hop, and if you hold a direction you'll start a drift. There's a bar in the bottom of the screen that fills when you start one, when you see it's reaching the end if you press the other shoulder button it'll give you a small boost and reset the bar. You can do this 3 times per drift.

If you go over a turbo pad, your drift boosts will be stronger as long as you don't let the boost run out (the flames on the kart are your indicator, if they're small you have a regular turbo, if they're big you have super turbo and if they have a shade of blue you have "Blue Fire", the fastest turbo there is).
Thank you very much !

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Premium product that costs $40 and has WAY MORE CONTENT than we initially were promised for, plus a bunch of free DLC content coming in the next few months.

I'm sorry, but a few network issues on THE FIRST DAY has nothing to do with laziness.

As for 60fps, play the game and you'll see. You're complaining about something you didn't even try.
I'm no complaining about anything you said.
I'm complaining about network issues that they should have fixed before launch with tests and maybe a beta. I'm paying for a nice experience, not a poor one. Normalizing this kind of stuff because you love a game it's not good for customers and devs.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's rubber banding. The AI on that track are programmed to hit 1m 35s to 1m 38s and they end within that time frame in the video. He just had a good second lap at 29s.

I played that like 5 times till I got a win on 1m 32s, with the AI in 1m 35s.

The lack of banding against the AI is actually a problem, in my opinion. Because if you get hit early the AI will still hit that 1m 35 to 1m 37m times. So, if you get hit early, that's often the end of the race. It doesn't help that, in my experience the AI are quite aggressive on hard mode.

They cheat to gain speed also. Even if you hit them with items early, they propel themselves back up to that very fast time. They take bad driving lines, and simply travel at a higher speed.

Overall, the AI implementation is very crude. Far worse than what it is in Mario Kart where they tend to be much more dynamic.
Okay that makes sense. So rubberbanding is not the right term. It feels terrible tho. So it is time trails with other karts as obstacles.