• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm getting this game tomorrow and I'm excited to play but I'm not looking forward to the character unlocking grind lol. So with the current grand prix thing, can I eventually get Tawna in the Store with Wumpa Coins or if I'm too late to get her is she just gone for good?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
So I'm getting this game tomorrow and I'm excited to play but I'm not looking forward to the character unlocking grind lol. So with the current grand prix thing, can I eventually get Tawna in the Store with Wumpa Coins or if I'm too late to get her is she just gone for good?
Stuff will come to the Pitstop eventually. Though you can unlock Tawna pretty early on. Just do a bunch of the challenges and try to stack Nitro Bonus by using characters and kart parts that show a percentage. She's only around 5000 points.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

You can get Tawna super quick. I got enough points to get her within an hour of the grand Prix starting.
Filling up the pass will be a grind though. At this point in time I think you'd defintely need to work on doing all daily challenges each day. I've sort of played non-stop (well, like 2-3 hours a night), and I think I'll just barely make it.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can get Tawna super quick. I got enough points to get her within an hour of the grand Prix starting.
Filling up the pass will be a grind though. At this point in time I think you'd defintely need to work on doing all daily challenges each day. I've sort of played non-stop (well, like 2-3 hours a night), and I think I'll just barely make it.

Ah I see. I'm not that fussed about cosmetic stuff but if there's any other characters locked further in the pass I'll have to grind lol. Thanks.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The good thing is the bosses are unlocked when you beat them this time, not after the Gem Cups in the original, so you can fill out the roster fairly quickly. The CNK and extra Grand Prix 1 characters are all just purchasable in the in game store for 1,500 coins each, which basically averages out at 5 online races for a character.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Got myself into the top 2.8% last night. I'm so nervous to go away on vacation, lol. I'm almost halfway through the gold tear for nitro rewards, and I really want that damn car for being under 5%.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How long will it take if I'm offline though? Probably won't be able to get PS+ for a while.

There are plenty of challenges to do to get enough to unlock Tawna, for sure, but getting Wumpa Coins will take a bit more work, unless you AFK farm them with a turbo controller. Wumpa Coin payout is track dependant, but I think the most you'll get is like 70-80 from some of the really long tracks.

You'll defintely start building it up as you play through Adventure/do the Grand Prix challenges, but it'll take a while.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How long will it take if I'm offline though? Probably won't be able to get PS+ for a while.
Playing through the adventure mode 100% should get you enough for 2-3. Doing all the tracks outside of adventure mode + their challenges should net you another 2. And depending on your skill level, doing the time trials to unlock N.Tropy could net you one or more. After that it would take roughly 19 races on the highest tier track to get each character.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of challenges to do to get enough to unlock Tawna, for sure, but getting Wumpa Coins will take a bit more work, unless you AFK farm them with a turbo controller. Wumpa Coin payout is track dependant, but I think the most you'll get is like 70-80 from some of the really long tracks.

You'll defintely start building it up as you play through Adventure/do the Grand Prix challenges, but it'll take a while.
Playing through the adventure mode 100% should get you enough for 2-3. Doing all the tracks outside of adventure mode + their challenges should net you another 2. And depending on your skill level, doing the time trials to unlock N.Tropy could net you one or more. After that it would take roughly 19 races on the highest tier track to get each character.

I see. I figured it would take a while but yeah, didn't think the coin pay out would be that low. Thanks for the tips though, I'll keep them in mind.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
An example was made of what the stats would really look like for the different character classes.

c3wmv8ofhd931.png

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh that's good then. I'll try and get the kart if I can but I'm more focused on getting characters (for my friends and family mainly lol).

Getting through Bronze/Silver isn't too tough if you do the bulk of the Themed/Pro challenges, and a chunk of Dailies and Weeklies, so the Gold tier kart isn't too hard to get I feel. I got there about 3 or so days into the event.
For the characters, you can get the timed drivers outside of Tawna (Ami, Liz, Megumi and Isabella) in either a bundle with a kart colour and a costume for like 5000something each, or just as the characters on their own for 1500 each, and 1500 coins isn't too hard to get.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An example was made of what the stats would really look like for the different character classes.

c3wmv8ofhd931.png

Wait....so are these real "hidden" stats for these characters? Or is this just a concept of what people would like to see (more variety in characters classes)? For instance, I thought characters like Tiny/Dingodile played the exact same way. Is that not the case?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah compared to my first post here, I got a lot better with the mechanics, ended up beating Papu Papu yesterday, who was a total PITA to beat.

And yeah, I should definitely update my game (Switch) as I'm still playing on version 1.0, I think the Day 1 update introduced a shop and currency to buy unlockables, right?

Anyway, incredible port so far, love it despite the frustrations the AI can trigger sometimes.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Wait....so are these real "hidden" stats for these characters? Or is this just a concept of what people would like to see (more variety in characters classes)? For instance, I thought characters like Tiny/Dingodile played the exact same way. Is that not the case?
This is specifically about how Balanced/Acceleration/Speed/Turn are, all the characters in those classes are the same.

Also this is real stats not concept. It ended up being the same as the original was.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do want to see an "Engine Class" category added in the future that's determines character stats. Can even add in the old Max Stats engine that can only be used in Offline Play as well (And disable it for time-trial/relic race events)

I know there's the whole "Character identity" situation, but, c'mon. If anything. This would actually make character selection at parties faster, now I get over the "Ooh, I like this character, but I don't like how slow they are" or "This character looks great, but that low turning scares me" situation.

Should help with online character variety as well, although the Nitro Boost also needs to be resolved for that. Get ready for "Entire race is babies" next month.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I know this might seem super mundane and entry-level for most of you but I managed to maintain SF all throughout Coco Park for the first time today! It legitimately feels great to be able to observe real skill improvements the more I play.

Also, I'd love engine classes to be a thing. I'd love to be able to play as Pura, Polar, Ripper Roo, and Fake Crash but their stats leave too much to be desired. :/
Especially Roo. His animations are PHENOMENAL.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I know this might seem super mundane and entry-level for most of you but I managed to maintain SF all throughout Coco Park for the first time today! It legitimately feels great to be able to observe real skill improvements the more I play.

Also, I'd love engine classes to be a thing. I'd love to be able to play as Pura, Polar, Ripper Roo, and Fake Crash but their stats leave too much to be desired. :/
Especially Roo. His animations are PHENOMENAL.
Nice! This game really lets you feel that improvement. Since I started working on time trials I noticed a big difference.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just reached Cortex Castle.

fifa-rage-quit-smashes-TV-controller-13863810449.gif

I abhor square turns AND THIS IS EVERYTHING. :(

Haha.
As someone who the only thing, outside of Oxide ghosts, I could never do on the original CTR was unlock the Tropy ghost for that track, it's definitely doable.

I spent a couple of days on it on this version, and not only did I unlock the Tropy ghost after like however many years, I ended up beating the Oxide ghost by a pretty decent amount.

The biggest things to note are:
Air braking is key for taking corners, especially near the start where you can choose to go either left or right. If you air brake as you jump, even if you lose sacred fire, you'll be able to basically hug the corner as you turn, and you'll get a boost as you land. Air brake with square and diagonally down in the direction you want to turn, after you hop off something.

The shortcut is nightmarish, and you don't really need to take it outside of time trials/online against decent players.

At the super turbo ramp at the end of the track, just after the shortcut, you want to try and preserve that blue fire for as long as possible. Generally, the spider that is lowered when you land is going to be the one you go through, so keep that in mind. But yeah, if you drift past the spider, and around the corner both before and after the starting line, you can maintain blue fire. That'll give you a big lead.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Just reached Cortex Castle.

fifa-rage-quit-smashes-TV-controller-13863810449.gif

I abhor square turns AND THIS IS EVERYTHING. :(
Huge help would be while mid air in a jump, let go of accelerate, hold down AND the direction you want to turn, hold down square while in that same jump, just as you land let go of square and accelerate again. You'll get very sharp turns mid-air doing that.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
my copy has arrived monday but I'm still not at home to play :< .. I'm worried I won't be able to get what I want from the Grand Prix; I'll be able to play tomorrow

say.. how much time I'd spent to get Tawna and the two karts? I think I'll go first for the Adventure Mode to get the base CTR characters, then will my Wumpa Coins (supposedly) be enough to get the full Nitro Squad too?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yeah, this is what happened with the retro kart last night. I would've gone more in depth with it, but I thought I was just stupid and hadn't tried doing that before, until I backed out of the menu and tried again.

Thanks for posting this lol. I've reproduced this twice now already. Sad that you can't normally customise your retro kart but I guess it's because sprays and stickers don't work.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my copy has arrived monday but I'm still not at home to play :< .. I'm worried I won't be able to get what I want from the Grand Prix; I'll be able to play tomorrow

say.. how much time I'd spent to get Tawna and the two karts? I think I'll go first for the Adventure Mode to get the base CTR characters, then will my Wumpa Coins (supposedly) be enough to get the full Nitro Squad too?

The coins you accumulate from Adventure will be enough to get you two or so characters. If you have online, go for wumpa time with a friend especially during the weekend (and doubly so if you're on Switch that hasn't patched the Thunderstruck skip yet), or if you have a turbo controller/remote play, you can set up for coin idling, which also will get you enough easy.
Otherwise you're gonna have to grind pretty hard to get just the characters.

As for getting Tawna and the two karts (though it's 3 in total, there's one GP kart that's in the store as well), if you do the challenges you should be fine. Tawna and the first kart (Bandibuggy) are easy enough, and if you get a bunch of Dailies done, you should be able to get the second (Rocket) reasonably quick.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
The coins you accumulate from Adventure will be enough to get you two or so characters. If you have online, go for wumpa time with a friend especially during the weekend (and doubly so if you're on Switch that hasn't patched the Thunderstruck skip yet), or if you have a turbo controller/remote play, you can set up for coin idling, which also will get you enough easy.
Otherwise you're gonna have to grind pretty hard to get just the characters.

As for getting Tawna and the two karts (though it's 3 in total, there's one GP kart that's in the store as well), if you do the challenges you should be fine. Tawna and the first kart (Bandibuggy) are easy enough, and if you get a bunch of Dailies done, you should be able to get the second (Rocket) reasonably quick.
hm... I'm guessing all four Nitro Squad members are way too expensive to get with Wumpa Coins accumulated from the Adventure Mode, isn't it? :\ ... I was thinking getting them the earlier I could before the Grand Prix ending, then I'd work towards the CNK cast.

Tawna and the karts seems easily enough.. I'm not aiming to the Champion Kart, because that's sounds a bit too demanding for me atm ^^"; --I'm not even wanting the skins they are oferring right now;

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hm... I'm guessing all four Nitro Squad members are way too expensive to get with Wumpa Coins accumulated from the Adventure Mode, isn't it? :\ ... I was thinking getting them the earlier I could before the Grand Prix ending, then I'd work towards the CNK cast.

Tawna and the karts seems easily enough.. I'm not aiming to the Champion Kart, because that's sounds a bit too demanding for me atm ^^"; --I'm not even wanting the skins they are oferring right now;

You might have to grind quite a bit if you can't play online for Wumpa Time + weekend bonus or using the coin idling.
The Nitro girls are 4 characters, so 6000 coins.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was established that blue fire speed is the same across all characters? Or has that been changed from the original? I'm referring to this source.

That's accurate for the original but USF in that and Blue Fire in this are basically different things. Blue fire pads have variable speed as well. You can notice on like Twilight Tour the Blue Fire near the ends is faster than early on.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
That's accurate for the original but USF in that and Blue Fire in this are basically different things. Blue fire pads have variable speed as well. You can notice on like Twilight Tour the Blue Fire near the ends is faster than early on.

huh, that really sucks lol. Especially with these revelations about the stats. I assumed that blue fire could still be an equalizer at the higher levels.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
You might have to grind quite a bit if you can't play online for Wumpa Time + weekend bonus or using the coin idling.
The Nitro girls are 4 characters, so 6000 coins.
Geez... 6000 >.> .. but I'm aware of Wumpa Time; just saw Crash Twitter mentioning the weekend bonus too;

Honestly I just can't wait to finally play! I'm avoiding seeing many things about the game since launch (since a little bit before launch in fact, since it was leaked...); I didn't even seen many of the menus or the full intro, because I want to experience everything fresh!

This was my most antecipated game on the year on Switch and I can see me playing for years until I even think about other kart racer!

I just wanted to unlock every character (including the GP related ones) and kart the sooner I can, because next week we'll be having a gathering with some friends and would be nice to have a big cast of characters and many options 'v'