• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same thoughts when first starting, but as I got better naturally, I've started beating Platinum Relic challenges and some of the N. Tropy times (at least the ones I actively tackled lol).
To unlock him I need to beat his times in all of the games tracks right? Including the Nitro kart stuff?
You'll improve with practice. Keep playing all the tracks and challenges (like relics, crystals, etc.) and you'll see how you've gotten a lot better at controlling the kart. That feeling when you notice the improvement is great! Just keep at it!

All the best!
It's tough man, I haven't even done much of the relic challenges because of how much I dislike them. I love racing games, ironically F-Zero GX is probably my favorite out of all of them, but I hate time trials.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having trouble with the lap backward challenge. I'm doing Coco Park on easy, 7 laps. I can get about a lap and a half lead, but I still always end up getting past in the very last turn. Lost by one second last time.

If you have a second controller (or are on Switch), you can do it in local multiplayer.
A few pointers:
- Stopping, bumping into walls, getting turned around, hitting boost pads and potentially using items invalidates it.
- Start early enough in the second to last lap so you can be sure it registers (starting at around the area where the last boost pad before the finish is should be sufficient).
- Use the rear view camera if you're not sure about certain parts.
- Follow the pink heart ribbon markings on the course - it gives you a decent path through it, and there's no boost pads on that path.

To unlock him I need to beat his times in all of the games tracks right? Including the Nitro kart stuff?

It's tough man, I haven't even done much of the relic challenges because of how much I dislike them.

Yes you need to beat all CTR and CNK Tropy times. Just not the DLC one.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So it turns out as long as you drift out of a big jump, you'll store the hang time bonus from that jump for any future jumps as long as you're in that drift.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocked Fake Crash! So happy right now lol

image0.jpg

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Any Switch players wanna help me out with the friend required nitro challenges? They're the last two I need. ;-;

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
As bullshit as the AI is, I'm coming around to enjoying this more than MK8. The kart mechanics have so much more depth. I think I still prefer the powerslide from the DS Mario Kart (that was the left/right to build boost one right?), but CTR's power slide is much more interesting than MK8.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As bullshit as the AI is, I'm coming around to enjoying this more than MK8. The kart mechanics have so much more depth. I think I still prefer the powerslide from the DS Mario Kart (that was the left/right to build boost one right?), but CTR's power slide is much more interesting than MK8.
Yep, DS Mario Jart was left/right to build boost.

And yeah, the power slide and boost mechanics in CTR are incredibly satisfying. There's a real skill curve to this game and every race there's a feeling of accomplishment when you get off a triple perfect boost or turn a tight corner without losing your boost reserves.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad you can only do 4/10 of the themed challenges offline. Working through hard adventure mode and pulled off a 1:58 sewer speedway, not quite oxide time but felt nice to do that during a regular race.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore the first bit not being very good but is there any shortcut I'm missing for the Blizzard Bluff shortcut trophy?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Anyone feels like helping me with some GP challenges? Basically a few involving Twilight Tour (Win as Tawna, win against a friend and win twice more).
Edit: Got them :D

Last edited:

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Super weird question but I feel like I am good at this game, but there is a level of online player who usually gets 1st or second that is just flying ahead of me and I end up in third. What are they doing

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pb9ocYF.jpg

Phew. I've pretty much got everything from the game I can at this point - just waiting on that 5% kart now!

I'm tempted to try and unlock all the skins, but you need at least 10 wins for every character to do that so not sure I'll get around to it.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Super weird question but I feel like I am good at this game, but there is a level of online player who usually gets 1st or second that is just flying ahead of me and I end up in third. What are they doing
I think the main things are being efficient with their routes/lines and maintaining Sacred Fire. I honestly think the Oxide ghost for Crash Cove hammers this in pretty well. At first it's like, how the hell can I beat this ghost, I feel so slow most of the time. Then as your time improves you realize all the little things that add up to getting faster and beating him. Constant triple perfect boosting where possible and hugging walls without touching them are crucial.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Pb9ocYF.jpg

Phew. I've pretty much got everything from the game I can at this point - just waiting on that 5% kart now!

I'm tempted to try and unlock all the skins, but you need at least 10 wins for every character to do that so not sure I'll get around to it.

Apparently you can cheese that by putting in the "One Lap" cheat and pick a short track like Coco Park or Roo's Tubes.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

It's very luck based at times (the start of Papu's Pyramid with the turns going up the pyramid often ends up like a warzone), but the key thing is maintaining sacred fire, and getting 10 Wumpa fruit and the blue shield asap.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The online is bullshit, though the skilled players are obviously better. This game's MP has an inherent flaw:

If you can escape the bullshit of the beginning of the race (somehow get a shield to counter the Clock for example), you can break away from the pack.

If you mastered the boost, this gives you the ability to greatly widen your lead because the rest of the sorry fucks in 2-8th place are busy spamming each other with items and screwing themselves over. Unlike most other Kart Racers, there is so much depth to the boosting in the game, but the mechanics are only held back by the items. 1st place rarely has to deal with item spam, outside of the few Orbs that are usually not enough to stop a wide lead

HanowarHAIL

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was decent at this game but holy crap, I get destroyed in every single online race. It's a miracle if I get top 5. At least I'm able to find plenty of people to matchmake with most of the time.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got 101% in Adventure mode on medium! Not sure if I'll ever get the Platinum Relics, some of those times are just ridiculous (looking at you, Papu's Pyramid and N Gin Labs).

Love the flying saucer car you unlock.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I notice way more people online like to flex with Digital N Tropy than use the Platinum paint, but that might be because one is required for a trophy and one isn't

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pb9ocYF.jpg

It's going up to 25 wins with almost all characters, just 10 is only for most of the characters you unlock in Adventure because their third recolour is tied to a challenge or progression with relics/tokens.