• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Enter the pitstop and check again, it happened to everyone :P

I did. Haha. Even restarted.

Guess I'll try a race and see what happens.

Still the same bullshit with the GP though. Nitro bonuses for specific characters and items, pushing the player to not customize themselves fully. Not even any of the first Grand Prix characters yet? Bad design.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Why'd they take the super engine out again? Balance seems worse than ever now. With so few clocks/orbs it's just one person waaay in the front and everybody else destroying each other with missiles. Ugh, the original balance with just a ranking system would've been better I think.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The new item balance is whack with or without the super engine. Every race is basically decided in the first lap anyway with no items capable of hitting the person in the lead. As soon as there's decent distance between player it just turns into a time trial with no interaction at all because most items are just ineffective. As much as the clock is an absolutely awful item in its current design and the orb is ineffective, I honestly feel like I enjoyed the game more during the old balance (the balance around midway Back in Time GP that did already lower the orb rate to not have 4 chasing you at the same time but were still somewhat common).

To be fair, no amount of rng balancing is gonna fix the issues with the item balance, some items need some core adjustments to actually make them viable. Here some ideas I have on item rebalancing.
- Missile: Increase speed on regular missile (if possible, based on user's speed). Make the juiced missile follow the track like a warb orb until it's close to a player.
This will make regular missiles more viable on high speeds and makes juiced missiles a viable threat to players that are further along the track
-
Bowling Bomb: Increase speed and remove homing on bombs thrown while driving at turbo pad or higher speeds, add new SFX to indicate this faster bomb.
This will make bombs a more viable weapon when driving at high speeds at which you normally just clip through your own bomb because you're driving faster than it making it basically useless apart from throwing it behind you.
- Beaker: Remove the item reroll effect from the juiced beaker. This change is mainly to move this effect to the clock change I'll suggest below, the juiced beaker is already devastating enough without this effect anyway
- Clock: Both normal and juiced clocks will slow down player based on their position at the moment hit. 1st is affected 8 seconds, 2nd for 7 seconds, all the way to 8th for 1 second. Juiced clock will also reroll every held item for every player.
This will change the clock into a item that actually levels the playing field instead of purely slowing the race down, the juiced effect helps leveling the playing field and avoid having a even longer slowdown that the current clock has which benefits no one
- Warp Orb: General speed boost to the orb. Normal orb will no longer hit players along the track and will only hit first. Juiced orb will no longer try to hit every player on the track but will hit any player it crosses path with. Cannot roll this item in the first 20 seconds of the race.
This change will primarily deal with the insane advantage someone in the lead can have in this game and give the orb less chance to mess up every racer behind 1st up so people can more reliably catch up to the front, also stops the juiced warp orb from just slowing the game down for everyone
- Super Engine: Adjusts the flames to have a purple shade to indicate the time the engine is active. Engine no longer reset you to small red flame when it deactivates, instead just leaves you at whatever flame you had during the engine and will always give enough reserves upon deactivation to barely start a new drift chain to continue that flame, with the exception of blue flame resetting to a turbopad flame if you didn't have blue flame or hit a blue flame pad during the engine.
This will make it so the super engine isn't actually a detrimental item to activate on tracks without blue flame, as blue flame turbopads is the only way to avoid the engine from resetting you back to red flames in its current iteration

Of course this might be too radical for them to actually consider, but I honestly think the game could be heavily improved by adjusting the core of some items. I also understand that there's a group of people that just want less item shenanigans, but I think it would be much healthier for the game to create a separate "No items race" playlist for the people that just want to enjoy CTR's core racing mechanics while making the "Standard race" playlist where the items can be adjusted to actually make for a much more fun kart experience. (There could even be a "Original items race" playlist available for private lobbies so people can still group up and play the original experience.) Because the current balance just doesn't do anything for either groups imo and is honestly holding the game back. But that's just my two cents. At the very least they should speed up Warb Orbs and functionally change how the Clock works, then up their appear rates again to actually have less stale feeling races.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The new item balance is whack with or without the super engine. Every race is basically decided in the first lap anyway with no items capable of hitting the person in the lead. As soon as there's decent distance between player it just turns into a time trial with no interaction at all because most items are just ineffective. As much as the clock is an absolutely awful item in its current design and the orb is ineffective, I honestly feel like I enjoyed the game more during the old balance (the balance around midway Back in Time GP that did already lower the orb rate to not have 4 chasing you at the same time but were still somewhat common).

To be fair, no amount of rng balancing is gonna fix the issues with the item balance, some items need some core adjustments to actually make them viable. Here some ideas I have on item rebalancing.
- Missile: Increase speed on regular missile (if possible, based on user's speed). Make the juiced missile follow the track like a warb orb until it's close to a player.
This will make regular missiles more viable on high speeds and makes juiced missiles a viable threat to players that are further along the track
-
Bowling Bomb: Increase speed and remove homing on bombs thrown while driving at turbo pad or higher speeds, add new SFX to indicate this faster bomb.
This will make bombs a more viable weapon when driving at high speeds at which you normally just clip through your own bomb because you're driving faster than it making it basically useless apart from throwing it behind you.
- Beaker: Remove the item reroll effect from the juiced beaker. This change is mainly to move this effect to the clock change I'll suggest below, the juiced beaker is already devastating enough without this effect anyway
- Clock: Both normal and juiced clocks will slow down player based on their position at the moment hit. 1st is affected 8 seconds, 2nd for 7 seconds, all the way to 8th for 1 second. Juiced clock will also reroll every held item for every player.
This will change the clock into a item that actually levels the playing field instead of purely slowing the race down, the juiced effect helps leveling the playing field and avoid having a even longer slowdown that the current clock has which benefits no one
- Warp Orb: General speed boost to the orb. Normal orb will no longer hit players along the track and will only hit first. Juiced orb will no longer try to hit every player on the track but will hit any player it crosses path with. Cannot roll this item in the first 20 seconds of the race.
This change will primarily deal with the insane advantage someone in the lead can have in this game and give the orb less chance to mess up every racer behind 1st up so people can more reliably catch up to the front, also stops the juiced warp orb from just slowing the game down for everyone
- Super Engine: Adjusts the flames to have a purple shade to indicate the time the engine is active. Engine no longer reset you to small red flame when it deactivates, instead just leaves you at whatever flame you had during the engine and will always give enough reserves upon deactivation to barely start a new drift chain to continue that flame, with the exception of blue flame resetting to a turbopad flame if you didn't have blue flame or hit a blue flame pad during the engine.
This will make it so the super engine isn't actually a detrimental item to activate on tracks without blue flame, as blue flame turbopads is the only way to avoid the engine from resetting you back to red flames in its current iteration

Of course this might be too radical for them to actually consider, but I honestly think the game could be heavily improved by adjusting the core of some items. I also understand that there's a group of people that just want less item shenanigans, but I think it would be much healthier for the game to create a separate "No items race" playlist for the people that just want to enjoy CTR's core racing mechanics while making the "Standard race" playlist where the items can be adjusted to actually make for a much more fun kart experience. (There could even be a "Original items race" playlist available for private lobbies so people can still group up and play the original experience.) Because the current balance just doesn't do anything for either groups imo and is honestly holding the game back. But that's just my two cents. At the very least they should speed up Warb Orbs and functionally change how the Clock works, then up their appear rates again to actually have less stale feeling races.
Good ideas, a missile that actually tracks more than 10 feet in front of you would make a world of difference.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
On the contrary, I've found there's more competition for the lead with the new balance. Clock and orb spam didn't really do much besides make the entire lobby suffer.

I am in favor of individual item tweaks though. Too many offensive items are worthless in the high-speed scenarios where they are most needed. That said, if missiles get as big a buff as suggested, then I'd like to see a grace period after recovering from a hit so you aren't getting stun locked by x3 missiles.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

-

Only thing I'd change is that clocks shouldn't instantly kill your reserves. On tracks like Prehistoric Playground where there's 2 BF pads very close together getting hit by it would mean saying goodbye to any chance of winning. Instead, I think the clock should double (or at least increase by some amount) how quickly reserves deplete on top of the reduction of speed and the effect being exponentially worse the better your position is. This way, 1st place would need to have enough reserves and manage to keep them through the whole clock while the other positions can keep their speed more easily.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What is up with grand prix page not loading at least on ps4?
Ive had it happen tk me frkm yime to time.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys guess what:
ED23XmkUwAEQUL2

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Game seems extra glitchy today. So many lobby problems: getting booted from lobbies, lobbies going nowhere, failing to join lobbies entirely. Then in the actual races: races not starting after countdown, being placed about 20 feet behind the actual starting line, red beakers not doing anything when hit, bubbles popping immediately.

Good lord, I'm just trying to use my weekend time and they're making it very difficult.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually mindboggling. Since the start of the first GP till now, this 'feyenoord' guy is still just exclusively griefing on this game and the shitty regional matchmaking is still infinitely throwing this guy into my lobbies. What has to actually be wrong with you to just do this for 3 months straight.

Beenox actually has to start doing something about this. Implement a report system, greatly widen the regional matchmaking, implement actual skill based matchmaking, make last place roll super engine exclusively so they cant grief. Really any of these options or just ban this man. This shit has to stop.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In more positive news, I have now unlocked Digital Tropy!

Dragon Mines can go fuck itself. It was by far the worst course in both Relic Race and Time Trial lmao. There were other tough ones, but holy shit as if I didn't already hate that track enough.
Out of Time also can go fuck itself, but at least that one's relic is not required for any unlock lmao.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Looks like there was an update to fix Thunderstruck's latest map exploit, among others. Also the Le Chaux paintjob no longer mimics Gnasty Ride Yellow. If there's anything else, it's tbd thanks to Beenoxs's typical mumness about patches.

Dragon Mines can go fuck itself. It was by far the worst course in both Relic Race and Time Trial lmao. There were other tough ones, but holy shit as if I didn't already hate that track enough.
Out of Time also can go fuck itself, but at least that one's relic is not required for any unlock lmao.

I thought Out of Time was easy cheesy after I'd done the CTR tracks. Three shortcuts, two of which are massive, and blue fire. Good track for coin gain during Wumpa Time, too.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Out of Time was easy cheesy after I'd done the CTR tracks. Three shortcuts, two of which are massive, and blue fire. Good track for coin gain during Wumpa Time, too.

It was easy cheesy to beat Oxide on it, but I still have HUGE issues with the dumbass fence jump. Same for Blizzard Bluff, really lol. Those feel so inconsistent. I had more issues getting that jump right than with most other courses period. It's also the place I lost my blue fire without fail.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What was in this recent 150 mb update?
I cant do the fence jump in outa time due to inability of timing my jump @_@

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It was easy cheesy to beat Oxide on it, but I still have HUGE issues with the dumbass fence jump. Same for Blizzard Bluff, really lol. Those feel so inconsistent. I had more issues getting that jump right than with most other courses period. It's also the place I lost my blue fire without fail.

Huh, I find the fence jump in Out of Time to be pretty consistent if you come at it straight and not too far to the left. Blizzard Bluff I've been practicing on, but I'm still 50/50 with it. The difference I see is that the terrain you use to jump in Blizzard Bluff is also the terrain that will slow you the hell down if you don't hit it just right, and it's so monolithically white with snow that its hard to make out any obvious jump on or jump off points. Super rewarding to land though.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I find the fence jump in Out of Time to be pretty consistent if you come at it straight and not too far to the left. Blizzard Bluff I've been practicing on, but I'm still 50/50 with it. The difference I see is that the terrain you use to jump in Blizzard Bluff is also the terrain that will slow you the hell down if you don't hit it just right, and it's so monolithically white with snow that its hard to make out any obvious jump on or jump off points. Super rewarding to land though.

I mean, I'm sure there's things that I find easy that you struggle with. Out of Time's fence jump is one of those things where I just can't get the hang of it 100%.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I had the hardest time with the fence jump until I realized I had to properly jump left of the right post of the fence, there's some funky invisible geometry going on with that post. Ever since I started taking the jump way more to the left to stay clear from the post I haven't failed that jump a single time.

Sep 10, 2019
In more positive news, I have now unlocked Digital Tropy!

Ah, yes, dragon mines....

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
What is the "didn't see that coming?" Weekly challenge. It says I got it 8 times but I have no idea how.

"During race throw a power up on 25 other power ups" ... like throw a tnt box on another tnt box???

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is the "didn't see that coming?" Weekly challenge. It says I got it 8 times but I have no idea how.

"During race throw a power up on 25 other power ups" ... like throw a tnt box on another tnt box???
Any time they say "throw a power up onto another power up" they mean shoot a projectile power-up into another power-up. So using a bowling bomb or a missile or a shield on traps (beakers, TNTs/Nitros) or other projectiles. I don't think using traps to block projectiles count towards it, though.

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
Any time they say "throw a power up onto another power up" they mean shoot a projectile power-up into another power-up. So using a bowling bomb or a missile or a shield on traps (beakers, TNTs/Nitros) or other projectiles. I don't think using traps to block projectiles count towards it, though.

Ohhhhh thank you so much!

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Is the "Use a shortcut on Hot Air Skyway" challenge straight up busted? I've taken the split ramp shortcut and I've jumped the wall at the end and I just cannot trigger this one.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Has there been any word of a 4th grand Prix after this one?
Nina cortex and a few other characters were datamined iirc so there could be another gp following this one unless they give a month break or some such.

Also got to gold tier today :3
Next few days will be pitstop nitro points and weekly challenges to stay among top 5%.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Depends how much ample time is, how often do you have to play per day you think?
You have two weeks. For people who are comfortable with the game and know their way around you can unlock him in 2-4 hours, easily. If you need a little time to find your footing and find resources on the best ways to go about certain event challenges it'll take longer but definitely still doable in the time frame!

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
You have two weeks. For people who are comfortable with the game and know their way around you can unlock him in 2-4 hours, easily. If you need a little time to find your footing and find resources on the best ways to go about certain event challenges it'll take longer but definitely still doable in the time frame!

Oh you need to do event challenges? i thought it was just a grind

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh you need to do event challenges? i thought it was just a grind
Technically you can grind but it's wildly slower than doing challenges. And challenges can be as easy as "finish a single race" or "check the store" and as difficult as requiring online wins with specific characters. The event points awarded increase with difficulty, though.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Technically you can grind but it's wildly slower than doing challenges. And challenges can be as easy as "finish a single race" or "check the store" and as difficult as requiring online wins with specific characters. The event points awarded increase with difficulty, though.

Gotcha makes sense, I'll think about it. I watch twitch streamers and they are so damn good.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any word of a 4th grand Prix after this one?

We got an official announcement that there will be more content after the Spyro GP, and they already promised Nina Cortex, N. Brio and Komodo Moe as characters.

There have been datamined GPs up until and including December, though all signs points to it being likely we'll be getting more support for this game in 2020.

Originally the GP was had the working title of "Spooky", but dataminers now found that the course will be called Nina's Nightride. They also found references to the next one after that for November, called Nitro Festival. The 3 characters that have been announced also are in the files.

Previous datamines found a whole slew of characters, some of which also were Spyro-related, but they have all been removed except for the aforementioned 3 (Nina, Brio and Moe).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Depends how much ample time is, how often do you have to play per day you think?
Assuming you do the absolutely easiest daily challenges (they're always the same every day, takes 5 mins to do) you'll unlock him in 10 days. With all the other challenges, you'll unlock it in a few hours.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Woah, that's it? lol. That seems pretty easy.... is that for each grand prix?
Yeah, the characters are the reward for completting the lowest tier of the GP. By the time you unlock the character you get a kart, paintjob and decals as well.

Alternatively, you can save coins and at the end of the season just spend them to get everything at once. Price goes down the further you are into the GP as well, so by saving coins you'll also make the price cheaper if you can't make it.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
So what's up with the Beach N.Trance skin? It's one of the only Pit Stop items I need and it never comes up in the shop